reqiuired

I Like You Not (Under Construction)

Hayoung turned the door knob and find Dongwoon standing right in front of him. She can see his eyes widen upon seeing her. It's been awhile since they meet each other, and Hayoung noticed how tired Dongwoon's eyes look. "Oh Hayoung?" He asked, as if he can't believe his eyes. Instead of letting her in, he directed her to move back to the hall and sit at one of the connected chairs.

Dongwoon briefed her about Minkyung's condition. She's suffering from cancer, but because she keep on delaying her check-up, it was found out late. It was spreaded to the other as well. Luckily they can save the less infected one, and Minkyung is now doing treatment to clean the highly infected one. Dongwoon said, her condition is not good, especially with the internal stress that she's facing. As she listen to Dongwoon's words, Hayoung was rushed with guilt. She remembered Minkyung has told her that she's not feeling well. Hayoung rushed her to do checkup, she actually did, and told her not to worry. Little did she know, on the day Minkyung told her that she's fine, it was the day when she found out about her condition.

As Hayoung put her hand one more time on the door knob, she was biting her lips in order to calm herself down and not bawl her eyes out again. She then remembered the last sentence Dongwoon said before he left her, "Minkyung has been waiting for you, please be nice to her." Her lips and hands are trembling. Calm down, Oh HayoungYou need to be strong, for Minkyung, she reminds herself.

When she walked further into the room, she feels her tears rolled up in her eyes and dropping to her cheeks like a sudden flood. The sight of Minkyung broke her heart to pieces. Minkyung, the prettiest girl that she knew, has changed. She lost so much weight than before. Her thin face was covered by a mint-colored beanie instead of her beautiful long hair. An oxygen mask was installed to help her breath. Hayoung wondered how could she never notice if Minkyung was that sick. Minkyung smiled weakly when she caught a glimpse of Hayoung, and gestured her hand to reach Hayoung's hand. They stayed in that position for some time and cried their hearts out, for the times they missed and the words unsaid.

"Why did you keep everything to yourself?" Hayoung finally managed to spill some words out, she can't hide the hurt in her eyes. Her question was answered with silence, as Minkyung's eyes was slowly closing. Dongwoon has told her that Minkyung just had a shot in order to increase the nutrition in her body and let her to get rest because she was not eating and sleeping well. The medicine allows her to fall asleep deep suddenly, even during coversations. After calming herself down, she went out to get some tea.

 


 

Hayoung just sat beside Minkyung's bed with two vegetable sandwiches in her hands when she heard her whispered faintly, "I was scared."

"Scared of what?"

She was inhaling deep before she answered, "When the doctor broke the news to me, I can't believe that it's true, and even went to some doctors to check. When all doctors said the same thing, the only thing that I can think about is how unfair it was. I lived a good and happy life. I was young, and worked hard to be a good student. I don't do bad things. I was even thinking to give up."

"You should've told me, Minkyung-ah. Why did you keep everything to yourself? Can you imagine how I feel right now?" Hayoung cried again. She can't seem to find a word to describe her feeling. If she knew then.... She wouldn't leave Minkyung alone. She wouldn't do what she did. She wouldn't let her feelings consumed her and break their friendship like that.

"When we fought that day, I was going to say sorry and waited for you at home to tell you everything. But then you did not comeback and stayed in your parents'. And that night my condition got worse, and Dongwoon came to see you that night, but instead he found me collapsed beside the kitchen sink." So Dongwoon knows.... That's why they're.... Hayoung can't bring herself to say the "couple" word. It should've meant nothing for her, but her feelings never changed, even after all this time. But it's not the important thing right now. Minkyung is her priority. Hayoung will try her best to not mess things up this time. She learnt to control her feelings and emotion in a hard way. "I was bed ridden for days afterwards. And when I comeback to our house, your room was tidy, too tidy for me to realize that you left, for good. When the realization hit me, I regret it so much."

"I should have known.... You were losing so much weight, yet I simply thought.....," She can feel the guilt inside her growing bigger and bigger. "Minkyung, I'm so sorry for everything. I'm sorry for letting my selfishness break us apart. I'm the worse friend you can ever get, I'm sorry." She hugged Minkyung's thighs and cried there.

Minkyung extended her hands to take Hayoung into her arms. "Hayoung-ah, don't say that. It's my fault too to keep everything to myself. Just you, being here, right now, it's more than enough for me. Thank you for coming here, Hayoung-ah." Even in a condition like this, Minkyung is still the bigger sister with the bigger heart.

Minkyung suddenly released the hug, "Oh, and actually I have something to tell you."

"What is it?"

"Do you remember when we met at the shopping mall. Dongwoon knew my condition by then, but I asked him to keep everything secret from you. That's why I dared myself to tell you a lie that I shouldn't have said."

Hayoung's heart skipped a beat. "What do you mean?"

"Yeah, I lied. I'm not in any kind of relationship with Dongwoon. It's a lie."

"Why would you do that?"

"I want you to confront your feelings, not hide it. I knew you liked him from the start. But you never want to show your feelings, as always. So I suppose that you need some kind of trigger."

"What?!" Hayoung can't seem to process what Minkyung just said. She just found out that Minkyung is extremely ill, and they just had the I-forgive-you-would-you-forgive-me moment, then this? She's not sure how she should feel right now.

"But then I heard you're doing really well on you study. I think I did great, didn't I?" Minkyung weakly smiled naughtily.

At that moment Hayoung realized, although her outer appearance might changed, Minykung's inner beauty is shining through, just like as it always been.

 


 

After that historical day, Hayoung has been coming to the hospital everyday after school, accompanied Minkyung for her chemo sessions, and bring her out to get some fresh air. Dongwoon has confessed everything, including her unchanged feelings for Hayoung when he sent her home that night. Hayoung has decided to not wait any longer, and that was their first day together. Hayoung would also sometimes bring ddeokbokki secretly for Minkyung, who has been dreaming of streetfood. Due to the constant love and support from Hayoung and Dongwoon, Minkyung had a speedy recovery that the doctors are wondering if anyone changed her doze of medicine. Within 3 months, Minkyung is not required to stay at the hospital and was allowed to go home. Hayoung has moved back from her parents' house to the home that shared togeher, just like before.

"Hayoung-ah! What took you so long? Hurry up we're going to be late! The groom will die young if you keep on doing this!"

"can't believe that she will get a happy ending like this; with both Dongwoon and Minkyung by her side.