The Reason

I Like You Not (Under Construction)

Summer has turned winter, and winter is melting to spring since the "tragedy". It's a sunny day at Seoul. The spring has finally come, allowing the birds to sing their songs and the flowers to bloom prettily. Warm breeze is blowing Hayoung's hair softly, as she is doing the morning chore outside. She continues to sweep the floor and sometimes stop to fill her lungs the fresh morning air and the smell of spring.

As the months change, Hayoung is also changing. The Oh Hayoung now is the different Hayoung from the Oh Hayoung 7 months ago. New academic year has started, and Hayoung is now the class president of grade 11-2. She is also among the top 3 students for the whole grade 11. It is hard for everyone to believe the fact if it's not posted at the school's bulletin board as a solid evidence. There are also many rumors floating around about Hayoung lately. Previously, "Hayoung is Minkyung's shadow" is the only topic that people have when they're  talking about her. Now, "Hayoung is a study prodigy", "Hayoung was pretending to be stupid", "Hayoung must have had a big accident and hit her head really hard, that's why she changes so much", are some of the most trending rumors in her school.

Sadly, as interesting as it is, none of them are true.

She never pretended that she was stupid, nor she's a study prodigy. And no, she's perfectly healthy and never had any serious illness nor accident in her life. Nor Mr. Son burnt all the pages in her math book and blend everything all together with strawberry and served it to her without her knowing.

There's only one reason behind all of this.

 

 


 

"Hayoung-ah, let's meet at library today?" Eunji, one of her classmates suddenly asked her during the short break after each classes.

Hayoung hesitated for some split second before answering, "Oh, is it about the group project? Hmm, I guess I will-"

"Okay, so you do the analysis and conclusion part. Will it be okay for you?" Eunji cut her before she can even finish. "Since we know that you will not be joining for the meeting today, me and Namjoo has already discussed about this, and we have appointed the parts that we would like to do. You wouldn't mind, do you?"

The tone in Eunji's voice is final and Hayoung knows there will be no future discussion about this. She just nods.

"Don't forget the deadline is 3 days from now, so you can send it to us tomorrow and we will make the presentation. See you." Eunji said and went back to her chair, meeting Namjoo who is her seat-mate, and both of them starting to talk spitefully.

It has been like this, and Hayoung don't even feel bad anymore, as if she's numb. The picture of everyone talking while stealing glances to her is an everyday view for her. Ever since the incident 7 months ago, Hayoung did nothing other than studying. After crying her bawls out for 3 days, she said goodbye to her friendship and love life. None of them interest her ever since the incident. Only the thirst of knowledge and studying pushed her through her darkest time.

She never try to make friends with anyone.  When Hayoung and Minkyung never walk together again, they can see the spark in Hayoung is decreasing slowly and gone completely now. As much as her academic rank escalate, her social life hits the bottom. She never even participated in group project meetings, but she will do all the job appointed to her. So far, the teachers haven't notice because she always do her parts, and she knows everything about the presentation as she always practiced the day before the presentation.

Nobody can understand nor believe what changes her this much. Not even one.

 


 

After changing to the comfortable t-shrit and shorts, Hayoung throws herself to her bed and cuddles her pillow. She just stare blankly at the window beside her bed, trying to fathom the abstract shapes of the clouds. And as always, after 5 minutes, her eyes is completely closed and she fell asleep deeply.

After 2 hours of nap, she went down to her kitchen and found her maid was making dinner. "Smells nice, Auntie. I'm hungry." She commented while sipping some ice water.

"Please hold on for a moment madam, I will call you when it's finished." Hayoung just nods and heads back to her room. She took her school bag, and starting to take out everything to start her project. Especially the Literature project that she needs to give Eunji tomorrow. Better not to make more drama than it already is.

When she's opening the math notebook, she saw a small part of a paper sticking out from the edges. She stare at it for a while and feel the warmth and nervous feeling seeping into her when she took out the paper and look at the handwriting.

It is the very same handriting with the notebook that she always bring everywhere she goes. The mathematics notebook that looked so old and has dog-tear and the every corner of the cover because how iften it was opened. The notebook that someone made so dearly, paid with all his effort and two nights of sleep. A life-changing notebook, as what Hayoung called it.

 

Hayoung-ah, how have you been? Sorry for putting this kind of thing in your bag, because I am such a coward that I can't face you myself.

I'm writting this because of  Minkyung.

And I'm also sorry for asking this kind of favor, but would you mind to giver her your support? I know you hate us, but she is sick. In fact, she is very sick. And lately she always call your name in her sleeps. It's been a month, until I decided to write this to you.

She's at XX hospital room 1904. It will be a blessing for her if you can visit her.

-Dongwoon

 

Hayoung read it and her heartbeat is pouncing so hard that it makes her fell suffocated. She didn't even noticed that she was crying until the tears feel down to the short letter, making some of the words blurred. She don't' understand anything about that letter other than Minkyung is in the hospital and she needs her. She is sick?! How can that be?! Hayoung shouted inside her mind.

She just hurriedly change and takes her bag and dashed out the room as fast as she can, leaving her maid that is calling her to inform that the food is ready.

 


 

The ride to the hospital was blurry. As she arrives in front of 1904 room, she could feel her hands trembling, and that she has been her breath that her chest feel hurts. She tries to calm herself down before she faces the door and hold the door knob. She stuck in her place, when her eyes see the person that her heart has been longing to see right in front of her, the reason why she become like this.

The person is at the other side of the door, in the very same position as she is, holding the door knob. But none of them push the knob to close the distance between them.

 


 

Author's Note:

Hello everyone. How have you been?

Wow it's been sooooo long since the last update, I am very sorry for that. I have been experiencing... writer's block, slump, or whatever it calls. I just can never push myself to write anything during the times when I didn't update, and I am so, so sorry to make you wait for the update.

And thank you sooo much for everyone that left comments and subscribed even if I haven't updated this story for long time. You need to know how much this means for me! Thank you so much for your support!

So in this chapter, Hayoung changed 180 degrees! What do you think about this update? Excited for the next chapter??

Looking forward for your comments and subscribe!

I love you guys!

XOXO,

Choralee.