Personal Space

The Real Me

"I'm fine, really!" 

 

Bong Hee assured him from the passenger seat of his car as he drove them towards his house. 

 

"I'm not going to just let you return to your apartment. It's dangerous there and you're currently a witness to a murderer who's still on the loose. Who knows if he's still lingering there, trying to find an oppurtunity to get rid of you." he refused to even look at her and kept his eyes on the road with a stern look.

 

She looks at him through the rearview mirror. The fact that he was really worried about her made her happy and she couldn't resist the small smile that crept up to her face.

 

They had just came from the hospital after he was assured that she hadn't gotten any other injuries and her feet was thankfully going to heal after a week or two. 

 

The police failed to capture the murderer and proceeded to get the two dead bodies from the water tank. They had also gotten her statement and a rough sketch of how the suspect looked like, making it easier for them to track him down and include him in the wanted list.

 

They arrived at his house past midnight and she marvelled at the fact that she was back at his house after a long while. The scenery was still the same and it was a strangely comforting sight. The last time she was here, she had been scared out of her wits after waking up .

 

She hopped towards the entrance as he assisted her until he could no longer take it. "Wait." he made a move to carry her bridal style in reflex but quickly changed his mind when he realized how awkward it will be, opting to offer her a piggyback ride instead. "How about i just give you a piggyback?"

 

Bong Hee let out an amused breath. "No, it's okay i can handle it."

 

He pursed his lips and gave her a withering look. "Just let me help you before i change my mind."

 

She quickly leaned on his back and wrapped her legs securely at his waist as response. It was a winning situation for her anyways.

 

He positioned her more comfortably and took her to the guest room, gently dropping her in the bed. "What do you need? Water? Juice?"

 

His sudden enthusiasm in helping her took her by surprise but she welcomed it with much gusto. "Uhm...water?"

 

"Water, okay."

 

When he went out to fulfill her request, her eyes roamed the room and before she knew it, she was blushing. Wasn't this the same room where they.... She shook her head to dismiss the thought, placing her hand at her chest to calm her heart.

 

"Here."

 

She flinched when his voice suddenly penetrated the air and quickly accepted the mug he offered to her. The awkward silence that followed made it hard for her to swallow and she thought she would choke on water when he thankfully started speaking.

 

"So...uhh...you can stay in this room for a while. At least until we can be sure that it's safe to go back to your apartment. I'll accompany you back tomorrow to get what you need." his habit of his lips distracted her as her attention zoomed in to his darting tongue.

 

"Yah." he waved his hand in front of her when she stared at him with a weird expression and didn't respond.

 

"Huh?" she finally looked at his eyes and tried hard to laugh off her embarassment. "Oh haha okay, i understand. Thank you Prosecutor No."

 

He flashes a rare quick smile and gave her privacy as he went out and closed the door with a soft click.

 

Bong Hee was left staring at the door. The prosecutor was really different today. He was caring and gentle and even offered a safe place for her to stay. She was seeing him in a brand new light and she was secretly thankful for the events that happened tonight, even though it was at the cost of her leg.

 

.

 

The next day, Ji Wook was in a hurry more than usual, working faster on his cases. Mr. Bang stared at him in wonder. He had been informed earlier on what happened to Bong Hee as to why she wouldn't be able to come today.

 

"Why in such hurry Prosecutor No?" he couldn't resist asking as he saw the man stood up and stack his documents before grabbing his suit.

 

"I have to take Eun Bong Hee to her apartment to get her things." he replied nonchantly as he arranged his things before going out to end the day.

 

"Why? Is she moving?"

 

"No, she'll be staying at my house temporarily."

 

Mr. Bang widened his eyes in surprise. He didn't mention that a while ago! It was definitely a first for the prosecutor to actually go that far for another person, let alone an intern. 

 

"Why do you go to such lengths to help her?"

 

He stopped in his tracks as he blankly stared at Mr. Bang. Why exactly? He didn't actually know. Bong Hee was a strong girl. He witnessed how she fought the murderer with determined eyes. He had actually been impressed. She knew how to defend herself and she was no damsel in distress, but he couldn't ignore that fear that something might happen to her. Was it because of his past experiences with his lovers? He wasn't sure, but he wanted to make sure he could keep an eye on her at the moment.

 

"Well, she's our intern after all. We're responsible for her." he left with that comment but Mr. Bang was not convinced. Being responsible with their intern didn't call for the necessity to house her. He could only give a suspicious sneer to the door.

 

.

 

When they arrived at the apartment, Ji Wook assisted her as they waited in front of the elevator. Thankfully, it was already working. 

 

"Eun Bong Hee-shi!" a loud voice made them flinch as they both turned their heads to the direction where it came from. A frowning ahjumma was hurriedly walking towards their way. Bong Hee gasped and repeatedly pressed the elevator button, willing it to arrive faster.

 

"Don't even think about escaping this time." she stopped when she reached them, pointing an accusing finger towards Bong Hee. "You haven't been able to pay your rent again! I've had enough of you making excuses every month and never paying your rent on time. Get your things out by the end of this month and find yourself another apartment before i throw them out myself!"

 

The loud ding of the elevator made her grab Ji Wook inside and she bowed to the landlady, "I promise to pay soon! I swear!" she yells before the elevator door closes.

 

She sighs and closes her eyes in embarassment as she leaned towards the metal wall. Why did the landlady have to be there at the moment when she was with her mentor? Her luck must be really bad lately.

 

Ji Wook faces her and contemplated, his tongue pushing the inside of his cheek. "Why haven't you paid?"he ended up asking due to curiousity.

 

Bong Hee refused to meet his eyes and looked down. "My mother and I have been on tight financial situation lately. I don't wanna pressure her to send me money." she furrows her eyebrows in frustration to herself, "I really don't want to be such a burden to her and make her worry, so i only wait for her to send me money to pay for my rent. She's already having a hard time paying for my tuition after all." 

 

He observes her downcast look before taking a deep breath as he tells her the sudden decision he made in his head. "Well, you could always stay in my house."

 

She quickly turned to him with a dumbstruck expression as he stood facing the door. "W-what?"

 

A loud ding and the elevator door opens, he gives her a sideway glance. "With rent pay of course, you won't have to worry about deadlines."

 

He steps out and tilted his head as he murmured to himself, "Maybe that was just a bit too cool?" he tsked and waited for her to catch up to him with a smile.

 

.

 

Ji Wook was pretty distracted as he prepared two sets of ramen in the kitchen while Bong Hee was in his guest room settling her things. He wasn't used to cooking for two.

 

He had always preferred privacy and being alone so sharing his personal space with someone else was a very rare thing. The last time he had been really comfortable being with someone was when he was with Young Shin.

 

Being the one to actually offer living in his house surprised even himself. He figured that he'll probably get rid of the nagging feeling of leaving her alone once the murderer gets caught.

 

"ohhh the delicious scent of ramen!" Bong Hee goes of out her room and approaches him with her nose in the air, sniffing the scent with her eyes closed in delight. She limps towards the kitchen.

 

He lets out a smile and transfers the ramen into the bowls. 

 

"I'll set the table."

 

She quickly maneuvers into the kitchen, easily spotting the utensils and observing which things goes where and bears it in mind.

 

They settle into their seats across each other and starts eating in silence. It wasn't long before Ji Wook felt her stare on him. "What?"

 

She clears and sets down her chopsticks. "Why are you so kind to me lately, Prosecutor No?" he could tell that she was genuinely curious.

 

He momentarily stops chewing and avoids her eyes as he thought of an answer. "Don't misunderstand.....it's just love for humanity." 

 

Oh.

 

Bong Hee smiles nevertheless, that must've meant that she got on his good side for him to consider her part of that humanity that he was willing to help. She resumes her eating cheerfully.

 

.

 

The next day, they could both feel eyes focused on them as they arrived on his car at the Presecutor's Office, Bong Hee had suggested they use one car and take his instead to save money on gasoline. She wasn't able to drive anyway because of her feet. He had begrudgingly complied but he was quickly wondering if it was a bad idea after all.

 

"Don't worry Prosecutor No, people think we're in a relationship anyways, with rumors going around saying you showed affection for me in front my ex. What's the worse that could happen?" she strutted with a bounce on her steps (albeit limping a bit) towards his office and left him standing in the hallway with his mouth open.

 

Really, the girl was too adaptable.