The Witness

The Real Me

What exactly did i do wrong to the universe?!?

 

Bong Hee mentally screamed in horror the moment she saw him gloriously stand up and show himself from the stack of documents on his table, greeting her with a stern look. If she hadn't been so petrified, she would've admired how handsome he looked with his glasses on and him staring at her with that angle.

 

She had been a mess a week ago, finally confirming with her own eyes that her boyfriend was cheating on her at a hotel. The subway ert had unexpectedly came at her rescue at the right moment, just when she had threatened that she'll sleep with the first guy she bumps into as revenge to her cheating boyfriend. She never predicted that after getting drunk, she'll actually make true to her threats.

 

She had made a quick escape the next day, hoping that she'll never see the handsome ert again, one night of mistake was more than what she could handle.

 

The joy and thrill of having her first day of internship at the prosecutor's office quickly dwindled into fear.

 

"So you're new." he comments as he flips through her papers. "You seem familiar though."

 

"Well...i don't know what you're talking about." she held her breath as if it would help in calming down her rapid heartbeat. He didn't look surprised in seeing her, it was actually as if he had been expecting her to enter his office since the very beginning.

 

"Do you take the Line 6 Subway often by any chance?" his look was clearly a challenge and she found herself quickly shaking her head and spout words before she could even think about it.

 

"No, i usually take the buses, walk or bike."

 

"I see, do you go to hotels often?"

 

"No, i usually go to motels--" the words were out before she could even stop herself and she wanted nothing but find a hole to hide. Stupid Bong Hee!

 

He snickered in victory and even repeated her answer to Mr. Bang as if to make a point and embarass her. The officer and female assistant could only smile nervously as they witnessed the ongoing war in front of them.

 

"Then why did you run off in the morning?"

 

"Were you expecting us to eat breakfa---" i'm doomed. "uhh...i'm not sure. I don't know what you're talking about." Clearly, this man was getting revenge from his humiliation back from the subway. She had hoped in the back of her mind that the man she had slept with was a great man, given that he saved her and even accompanied her during that rough time.

 

"Stop being so shameless, you're worse than the supects i've interrogated." his mocking words broke off her last straw.

 

He was a petty man. A very petty man.

 

"Then is it okay to fool me like that when you already know who i am?"

 

"i was just testing you, your memory, transparency, etc." his smile was ticking her off big time.

 

Well, two can play that game.

 

"ahh...well i remembered something." she started.

 

"What is it?"

 

"There was this ert in the subway who touched my b--"

 

"i told you that wasn't me!"

 

"omo! i never said it was you, Prosecutor-nim."

 

Tension was crackling in the air and Mr. Bang and the assistant felt suffocated. Just who was this brave and crazy girl who dared to go against the moody prosecutor?

 

"I'm actually wondering if you know that i'm your mentor and you're my mentee." she could feel that she successfully grated his nerves and felt satisfied. She was already doomed the moment she entered the office anyways. What's more to loose?

 

"Yes, i'm perfectly aware that i'm done for." she momentarily fixed her suit and stood with her hands clasped formally in front of her. "So, where should i start Prosecutor-nim?" she finished her words with a sickening sweet smile.

 

.

 

Eun Bong Hee had guts, that he can give to her.

 

He was never a petty man, but whenever he sees her, he couldn't help but say something that he knew would tick her off. He would wait for her to respond to him with a bit of excitement, knowing that she would never back down in a verbal argument, whether it was only teasing or something serious.

 

"So tell me, why did you even sleep with me?" she whispered the question as she followed him in the silent corriders back to their office, carrying the heavy bundle of documents. She was entirely thankful for her endless trainings as a professional athlete from back then, or else she wouldn't have enough strength to carry the load that her annoying mentor made her carry.

 

He stopped in his tracks. "A woman seduces me and begs me to stay with her." facing her fully, he explains with an innocent expression. "on top of that, i had a couple of drinks that night, plus i'm not exactly a saint."

 

She opens in a silent gasp as she looked at him incredulously.

 

"i'm not a saint but i do have eyes that work perfectly fine and...." he sizes her up from head to toe. "for me, you're not really attractive."

 

She closed her eyes in annoyance. If only it wasn't a crime, she would've done her taekwando moves on him right now. Unbelievable, this man sure knows how to rile her up.

 

"So then exactly why??"

 

He sheepishly smiles at her and slaps the documents he was holding to add to the already heavy burden she was carrying. "i don't know."

 

He left hear fuming in anger at the corridor as he laughs with amusement. Teasing her was so much fun.

 

.

 

She didn't know how she survived being his intern for so long but apparently she did. Well, if you consider having nose bleeds and constantly getting her hair grabbed for a month as surviving.

 

It wasn't entirely a bad experience, she had learned a lot and if she just ignores his constant  annoying remarks, she could admire how excellent he was in his work. Getting along with the kind Mr. Bang and the female assistant was also a plus.

 

Her workload was insane and he had simply given her a remark as an excuse. "i am showing you my love and care by allowing you to broaden your experience." but her annoyance was quickly replaced with gratefulness when he saved her again by pretending to be her boyfriend in front of her ex.

 

Prosecutor No Ji Wook was actually a good man. He was irritating and annoying at times, but he was good and she admired him for that.

 

She shook her head as she remembers the fluttering feeling she always had whenever she had to observe him from far away. She figured it must've been the stress from all her work. Her mentor was undeniably good looking after all and after staring at papers and listening to offenders all day long, he was the safe haven of beauty for her desperate eyes.

 

"Go home and sleep at your house tonight." his suggestion confused her one night.

 

"I'm fine though."

 

"Go and take a shower. I'd like to work in a clean environment free of smells."

 

She had bared her teeth in annoyance but complied. She slept in the office for longer times than a normal person would, not bothering to even wash. How could she when she had so much work? It was his fault anyway.

 

.

 

Bong Hee stretched her arm as she finally felt the cool breeze of the night. She had actually forgotten how refreshing the air was with her being holed up in the office for so long. The night seemed perfect with the sky so clear and the moon shining brightly. She took a deep breath and sighed with contentment.

 

A sudden movement from the rooftop of the building across hers grabbed her attention. Why would someone be at a rooftop this late at night and with the cold weather? She quickly took her glasses from the table and squinted her eyes to properly see what was going on.

 

A dark silhoutte seemed to be carrying someone and placing the person near the water tank at the rooftop. She tilted her head in wonder, what was the guy doing?

 

The sudden ringing of her cellphone made her flinch and she answered while still observing the silhoutte. "Hello?"

 

"Eun Bong Hee, you're such a mess. Where did you put the file of the Park couple? The ones who assaulted a shopkeeper?" she heard Ji Wook's deep voice and answered promptly. "It's just there at my desk."

 

"Are you sure? I've checked all the documents and it's not here. Think properly."

 

"i told you, all the cases i handle is th--" she couldn't finish her sentence when she suddenly gasped as she clearly saw the silhoutte placing a  person inside the water tank. She can't believe it, she was actually witnessing a murder.

 

"Eun Bong Hee? What's wrong?" his worried voice pulled her back to reality as she firmly gripped her phone with trembling hands.

 

"P-Prosecutor No.... I t-think i'm witnessing a murder r-right now." she stuttered distractedly.

 

"What?"

 

Her eyes widened as the guy seemed to notice her after his task and stood still, facing her fully. The moon provided the slightest light but it was enough for her to see him wearing all black clothes with a hat and mask that made him unrecognizable. Her heart was racing so hard that she temporarily went deaf with the pulse she was hearing at the inside of her ears.

 

"--ong hee, hey! Are you still there?!?" she faintly hears the noisy flipping of papers through the speaker. "Damnit what's her address."

 

"Prosecutor-nim."

 

"Yah! don't do anything rash, don't let him see you. Call the police after this call. Right now." he was giving her instructions rapidly but none of it registered in her mind. All her focus was on the man on the rooftop. When he suddenly ran towards the stairs to escape, Bong Hee had no second thoughts. "Prosecutor No, he's escaping! I need to stop him!"

 

"What?!? Bong Hee don--" she hanged up the call and quickly ran outside. It didn't help that the elevator to her apartment was out of order and she had to run through fleet of stairs to reach the ground floor.

 

She was wheezing from shortness of breath when she reached the exit of their building. It was dark and eerie outside, with the electricity being cut off for maintenance tonight. Why did it have to be tonight?!

 

Bong hee desperately searched from side to side, the thought of letting a murderer slip away from her was making her nauseous with disgust. She needed to catch him.

 

A brief shadow passed over at the edge of the next building and she quickly ran in pursuit. "Stop!!"
She was thankful that her stamina was as great as before and she ran faster than she ever could, with her adrenaline boosting her.

 

She catched up to him before he crossed to another road and was able to grab his hoodie, pulling him backwards and her sheer force making him stumble to the ground.

 

She assumed a defensive stance, ready to take him on. He quickly scrambled to stand up and pounced on her, failing as she turned and kicked him hard in the gut, making him stagger backwards.

 

"I'm a black belt in taekwando. Don't underestimate me." she threatened. Her hands were badly shaking, but she would never let it get in the way of a fight.

 

The murderer seemed to have taken her threat seriously and cautiously kept his distance.

 

"If you willingly surrender, i will help you lessen your punishment." she figured a negotiation will help and offered a deal.

 

He laughed in disbelief and grabbed a dirty shovel that was abandoned at the sides. "Do you really think i'd be willing to go to prison?"

 

Bong Hee was beyond terrified. The guy would not hesitate to kill another person especially now that he had a weapon on his hand. She briefly realizes that this was probably a really bad idea but she couldn't stop now, it was all or nothing.

 

He charged at her again, swinging the shovel and hitting her leg when she attempted to kick him again. She hadn't felt the pain instantly due to adrenaline and grabbed his hand to steal the weapon. When she realized he wasn't going to let go, she quickly grabbed his mask to see his face, taking note of his facial features. He stared at her wide-eyed and pushed her away, swinging the shovel upwards in an attempt to hit her hard. She closed her eyes and covered her face with her hands in reflex when a sudden scream from afar stopped him.

 

"Eun Bong Hee!!"

 

The murderer quickly threw the shovel and ran away. Bong Hee wasn't going to let him go so easily, she made a move to go after him when a sudden needle-like pain in her leg stopped her and made her stumble to the ground. She screamed in frustration. He was just right there within her reach and she couldn't even stop him.

 

"Eun Bong Hee!!" Ji Wook ran towards her and held her back in support when she raised herself up to sit. He glanced in the direction where the murderer ran but quickly returned his attention to her. "What were you thinking?! Did you want to get yourself killed?!?" his angry voice and eyes filled with worry stopped her from saying anything.

 

She slowly notices the ear-deafening siren of police cars approaching them and numerous footsteps going towards where the murderer ran. Ji Wook must've called the police while on his way.

 

"Really, you're such a handful." his face was scrunched up with anger as he hurriedly searched for any wounds on her until his eyes settled on her feet. He sighed and tsked. "Does it hurt a lot?"

 

She winces as she finally felt the extreme pain. She glances down and sees her swollen red feet with a sigh.

 

"I'm sorry Prosecutor No." she had nothing else to offer but an apology.

 

"You should be. Being so reckless like this."

 

Bong Hee knew it was stupid at the moment but Ji Wook suddenly looked so mesmerizing in her eyes as he fussed over her with worry. She had never seen such an emotion on his stern face and it made her heart flutter to know that she was the one who caused that reaction.

 

An ambulance came and she was given first aid as she refused the need to go to a hospital. She would've returned to her room if not for Ji Wook's glare at her, demanding that she be taken no matter if she liked it or not.

 

She could only sigh again.