Blind Spot

The Real Me

 

 

“You know, it’ll be safer if I accompany you home every night, if you allow it.” Eun Hyuk smiles at her. “Maybe even accompany your mother too.” he ends with his usual vibrant laugh.

 

Bong Hee chuckles but thanks him. “You don’t have to, Lawyer Ji. I’ve been really careful lately and you know I’ve been training again.” she assures him.

 

He hesitantly nods but laughs again. “Well, there goes my chance to spend more time with you.”

 

Bong Hee paused to look at him seriously and he stares back in question.

 

“Why do you always act like you are joking and laugh like that?”

 

Eun Hyuk stopped smiling and grew silent. He stares at her as if debating whether to answer her question seriously or not. After a moment, he sighs. “If I don’t behave like I’m joking, how can I stay beside you?”

 

The obvious message behind his answer took her by surprise and she was at loss for words. Bong Hee could only look down to avoid his gaze.

 

“Other than this, I don’t know any other way.” he ends with a resigned tone.

 

Bong Hee cleared . She somehow knew what was coming next and grew nervous, wishing that she could just dig a hole and hide.

 

“Bong Hee….I--”

 

“You were already here? I was getting worried! I even texted you and you didn’t text back.” Her mother exclaimed in surprise when she saw them standing outside the doors just when she opened it. Bong Hee suddenly wanted to kiss her mother in thanks. She scrambled to get her phone out of her bag and sees the text message.

 

“O-Oh...sorry mom. I didn’t notice.”

 

Her mother gave her a scolding look but gave a respectful nod and smile to Eun Hyuk. “You came, Lawyer Ji?”

 

“Good evening.” Eun Hyuk bowed and gave her a big smile. “Have you been well?”

 

“Yes. Thanks to you.” Her mom’s eyes sparkled whenever she met Eun Hyuk and tonight was no different. She gave Bong Hee a meaningful side glance and giddily laughs. “Sorry to disturb you two. This ahjumma is gonna leave so you can talk some more.”

 

Thankfully, Eun Hyuk hurriedly stops her. “I actually have to go already. Bong Hee seems tired and needs to rest. I’ll visit you some other time. Goodnight!” He cheerfully laughs before bidding them goodbye and going back to his car.

 

Bong Hee felt her waist being elbowed as they watched his car pull out the driveway and she grimaced a bit. “What?”

 

Her mom grins and gave her a look as if she knew her secret. “Are you dating?”

 

“No!” she quickly responds but the older just brushed it off as her being shy and continued to with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Don’t worry, this mom is different from those other moms. I fully support my daughter dating!”

 

 Bong Hee could only sigh. “Mom, we’re not dating.”

 

Her mother stares at her serious expression and promptly took back her smile. “Really?”

 

Bong Hee responded with a deadpan expression and proceeded to enter their apartment. She knew her mother wasn’t the ignorant type. Eun Hyuk’s feelings fer her were plain as day and she knew that sooner or later, they were gonna be the receiving end of people’s expectations to be a couple and Bong Hee didn’t know what to feel about it. She was extremely thankful to Eun Hyuk and she likes him, but not to the point of wanting him to be her boyfriend. She didn’t even know if she was ready to be in an intimate relationship again and with the recent turn of events with Ji Wook, her feelings were all over the place.

 

This wasn’t even the right time to be worried over her lovelife.

 

———————

 

Bong Hee was getting quite conflicted.

 

Eun Hyuk was obviously preventing Mr. Byun from assigning hard cases to her that would require going to far away places for investigations and she got the least work among her peers.

It didn’t really agree with her principles and she noticed that some of her workmates were already getting cranky with heavy workloads and she feared that they were secretly getting pissed at her for getting some kind of favoritism.

 

And so she approached Mr. Byun herself to volunteer to take on some of the complicated cases they had. 

 

“You’re brave, that I can acknowledge.” Mr. Byun comments after much discussion and finally hands her more cases, something that Eun Hyuk clearly disapproved and left him scowling at her for some time.

 

Bong Hee refused to be a burden to the team while Hyun Soo was on the loose. After all, who knows when he will be found? She hopes Eun Hyuk won’t be mad at her for too long. She ended up not having lunch with him lately because of that. 

 

It was just recently though that Bong Hee finally noticed that the yogurt thingy with Ji Wook  never actually stopped.

 

In fact, it became something of a ritual.

 

She gently places back the now empty yogurt bottle on the table with furrowed brows, the sudden realization making her feel awkward.

 

“What’s wrong? Had it gone bad?” Ji Wook asks worriedly and grabs the bottle to take a sniff.

 

The two were having lunch together at the cafeteria again and by now, people were already so used to seeing her with either Ji Wook or Eun Hyuk or both. Needless to say, she somehow became a topic too. She also noticed that Ji Wook was getting more and more bold with approaching her during lunch and not so strangely, she welcomed his presence.

 

It was so natural, like everything is going back in place like how they did two years ago and Bong Hee couldn’t decide if it was a good thing or not. She found it a bit funny though that the cafeteria was quickly becoming their “place” now.

 

“No… I was just thinking about something.” she responds and Ji Wook gives a look of understanding. He places his palm over hers and gently squeezes.

 

“I know you’re worried for your mom, we’ll catch him soon, I promise.” there was that familiar determination in his eyes and Bong Hee felt her heart skip a beat. She wasn’t really thinking about that right this moment but she couldn’t say it. He always looked the most handsome when he was serious.

 

She gave herself a mental slap again.

 

Didn’t she just mention a few nights ago that this wasn’t the right time to think about her lovelife? Ugh.

 

Bong Hee stares at him. His glorious face really looked tired as the days go by. “I’m thankful Prosecutor-nim, but you look like the one who’s worried for her more than I do. Are you even sleeping?”

 

Ji Wook clears his throat and takes a kimchi. “Yeah. I’m okay. Things have just been really hectic lately.”

 

She frowns but knew that she wouldn’t be able to get any more response than that. Things have always been busy but he never looked this tired before.

 

“Can I drive you home later? I hope you don’t refuse me this time.” he looked so hopeful that Bong Hee both felt happy that he cared a lot yet also felt guilty that she was possibly the true reason why he looked so stressed lately.

 

She bit her lip and nodded. “Okay.”

 

The look on her mother’s face when they arrived on her apartment that night was really to be expected and Bong Hee sighs the moment she saw the glint in her eyes when seeing Ji Wook again.

 

“Good evening.” Ji Wook greets with a smile.

 

“Hello Prosecutor No, it’s nice to see you again. Thank you for doing much to help us with the protection program.” Her mom was smiling widely and Bong Hee hopes that she doesn’t say anything that will embarrass her again.

 

“Oh no,It’s the least I can do. Please don’t hesitate to tell me anything if you need help. We’re doing everything we can to catch Hyun Soo.”

 

Bong Hee didn’t miss the impressed look her mom gave her so she quickly ushered Ji Wook to go home and get some needed sleep which he thankfully accepted before going on his way.

 

“Wow Bong Hee, you have really great friends.”

 

“I told you, he’s my superior. I was his intern before.” Bong Hee sighs as she closes the gate and guides her gushing mom inside.

 

“Exactly. What great superiors you have. Did you notice that they both sparkle? So which one really is it? I’m good with any one of them to be honest.”

 

“Mom!”

 

She couldn’t help but laugh along with her ridiculous mom. The older would have a field day if she ever discovers that there was really something between them.

 

---------------

 

“I found a lead.”

 

Ji Wook instantly snapped in attention the moment he heard Min Ja’s voice.

 

“What is it?”

 

“I found a CCTV clip and I’m sure I got our guy for a few seconds before he turned a corner. However, the next CCTVs weren’t working so I didn’t know where he went to next. I got the kids to follow him, Dae Yong said she saw him ride a taxi and  there was also a man inside. Don’t know if it’s just a coincidence or it’s his accomplice.” her voice was laced with frustration and Ji Wook pinches the bridge of his nose. “The taxi entered a tunnel and there were loads of outgoing taxis, I couldn’t track them from there.” 

 

“Where was it?”

 

“I’ll send you the address Dae Yong had seem him last.” 

 

Ji Wook smiles lightly. That girl Dae Yong is still working with Min Ja. He remembers that she swore she was gonna be better than Healer before and he briefly wonders how much she had progressed already despite him discouraging her not to go to that path. He actually missed the kids.

 

“I’m keeping an eye around the area. I’ll keep you posted.”

 

“Thanks Ahjumma.”

 

He hears her hum in acknowledgement before the line got silent and a ping of his phone indicated that she had already sent the address. Ji Wook wonders of who could possibly be Hyun Soo’s accomplice and what could anyone gain by helping him. Was he threatening someone?

 

A sudden throbbing pain in his forehead made him wince and he staggered back to his couch. He really needed to rest but how could he when they finally got a lead on Hyun Soo? 

 

The next few days were a blur and he actually got into contact with the kids since they had to coordinate in patrolling some areas. They got irritated and demanded him not to call them that anymore but they will always be the naughty and hardheaded puppies of the Healer team for him. It was a relief to see Dae Yong grow up and more mature than before. She definitely looks like she could hold her own now despite her playfulness still being there.

 

“Are you okay? We can handle this you know. There’s a lot of us here.” Dae Yong pops a bubblegum and crosses her arms, she never got over that habit of hers. The night was getting colder and he positions his jacket more comfortably. Ji Wook knew she noticed how bad his condition was, she used to idolize him and closely studied his moves after all. He pats her in the head and chuckled softly.

 

Min Ja’s voice was suddenly heard through their earpiece. 

 

“I got him.”

 

Ji Wook quickly presses a small switch in his glasses that made the lenses turn dark and images started appearing. He briefly sees a snapshot of Hyun Soo looking directly at a traffic camera before hiding his face with a cap then a cctv footage was played.

 

Min Ja didn’t need to send them the location, they already knew where it was.

 

Ji Wook the motorcycle and Dae Yong barely sat behind him before he took off in a hurry and the others followed.

 

“What the hell is he doing there? Is it just a coincidence?” He asked furiously.

 

“I’m not too sure. As the world knows it, Healer has been shot dead at the airport years ago. It’s either he dug deep in hell to discover your identity that’s why he’s going to that abandoned building where you lived before or it’s just purely coincidence. How can he have the resources to track you down though? I knew there was something fishy going on here.” He hears her furious tapping at the keyboard at lightning speed.

 

Ji Wook bit his lip. All this time he was worried about Bong Hee and her mom but Hyun Soo was actually targeting him too? Or did he just notice that they were protecting Bong Hee? Who the hell is he working with?

 

It wasn’t long before they arrived at the abandoned building. It was eerie and dark. The nearest street lamp was far and they could only rely on the moonlight to see their surroundings.

 

“He’s mine.” Ji Wook spoke loud enough for everybody to hear. “Don’t come until you need to.” he didn’t know how dangerous things could get and he would prefer it if the kids didn’t get too involved. It would be a great deal of work to cover up the team especially now that he was on the side of the law.

 

He steps into the familiar building and cautiously looks around. He was concerned that he might not remember it as he did before since it had been too long already, but his body somehow knew which way to go.

 

“Make it short. Don’t engage with him for too long, i’ll call the police as soon as you get him and make the kids go.” Min Ja’s voice was filled with tension. It wasn't really a tone that he was used to.

 

“Don’t worry too much Ahjumma, I used to be Healer remember? The best in the business.”

 

“Yeah, thousands of years ago.”

 

Ji Wook chuckles and right before he turns a corner, he senses a presence behind him, dodging in time to avoid being hit in the face. He had to rely in his senses to fight him and attempts to kick his leg but Hyun Soo was faster and was able to block it, kicking Ji Wook at the abdomen instead and making him painfully hit his back at the wall.

 

Ji Wook wasn’t in his best condition but his adrenaline was high and he stood up immediately to avoid another kick, taking Hyun Soo by surprise and hitting him right in the face. Hyun Soo staggered and fiercely shook his head to regain balance, Ji Wook took the chance to attack him relentlessly until they reached a border of the building and the moonlight gave enough luminance that he was able to see his face as he grabbed his shirt.

 

“You-” Ji Wook’s arm froze mid-strike, confusion etched into his face. “Who are you?!?”

 

The man smirks and hits him back, making Ji Wook stagger backwards and wipe the blood off his wounded lip. 

 

“I guess it’s really you, Healer.” the man responds. “I knew you weren’t dead.” he carefully stretches his shoulder, grimacing from the pain. “Your partner has a certain pattern in hacking and snooping around police systems. I instantly knew it was her digging up Jung Hyun Soo’s files.” He spat the blood from his mouth. “Question was, why? The only person he was targeting was Eun Bong Hee and it was supposed to be insanely easy. Until I noticed the hacking and someone lurking around her shadows. I’ve heard of you, you were a legend and i always wondered why it was so easy for them to kill you, the best night courier that existed. Unless of course, it was all a cover up.”

 

Ji Wook clenches his fist. “ Why are you helping Hyun Soo?”

 

The man ignores him. “You’re making things difficult. What does this have to do with you? Why are you protecting Eun Bong Hee? Did she hire you?”

 

It dawned on him that this man was only focused on helping Hyun Soo kill Bong Hee and simply considered him a nuisance. Min Ja did a damn good job in erasing his traces as Healer since this man obviously didn’t see any reference picture of Healer’s real face and therefore couldn’t recognize him as Prosecutor Ji Wook. He was also pretty unrecognizable when he’s in his Healer outfit.

 

“Sorry it took a while. This bastard hides himself pretty well. He’s from the police, Ko Chan Ho, and trained by Dong-Won before. No wonder he knows how you and I work. Tsk. He’s from the same school as Hyun Soo before and I’m sure he’s the one who’s been helping him escape and hide.”

 

“I asked first, why are you helping him?” Ji Wook grits his teeth in annoyance.

 

“Enough talking. I just need to get rid of you so Hyun Soo can finally do what he damn wants.” he lunges for an attack again but Ji Wook was ready, he was able to grab his arm and pin Chan Ho to the pillar with an elbow to the neck.

 

“I’m not gonna let him hurt Bong Hee.” Ji Wook glared at him, his tone low and sharp. Just when he was about to hit him to render him unconscious, a deafening sound echoed across the empty building, the loud bang leaving a ringing in his ears. Outside, Dae Yong snapped to attention and hurriedly ran inside with the others. 

 

Ji Wook looked down and saw the gun pointed to his side, Chan Ho’s finger still pulling the trigger. His dark jacket was slowly becoming damp and he felt the blood trickling down to his stomach before pooling at the waistband of his pants. Ji Wook lets out a shaky breath as he slowly started to feel the burning pain from the shot.

 

“What happened?” Min Ja’s voice barely registered in his mind. “Ji Wook!”  

 

“Once she’s gone, Hyun Soo will stop. He’ll finally leave me alone.” Chan Ho whispers desperately, his eye wide and red. “He killed them both, I was next! He only spares me because I help him cover it all up! What was I supposed to do? I’m sick of all of this!” He was stumbling over his words, the gun dropped from his hand and he trembled. “As long as she’s gone.” Chan Ho kept repeating the words almost like a madman.

 

Ji Wook finally understood. They knew there was a third person involved in the , the one who took the video. Even through the questioning, Hyun Soo only kept insisting about the two he killed. He kept his mouth shut as to where he got the video. 

 

So it was this guy. Hyun Soo threatened him in exchange for covering his tracks.

 

“Hyungnim!” 

 

Ji Wook heard footsteps running towards him and he felt himself being gently grabbed away from Chan Ho. Dae Yong applied pressure to his wound and frowned. “This is bad Ahjumma. He’s bleeding a lot.”

 

“That’s it. I’m calling the police.”

 

Next thing he saw was Chan Ho all bloodied up and being pinned to the ground by the boys while they cursed at him. The man was still able to let out a smirk and look at Ji Wook in the eye. “It’s too late.”

 

The moment those words were out of his lips, Ji Wook tensed and his blood run cold. He momentarily went deaf and he willed himself to focus and think. If they came here following Hyun Soo but found Chan Ho instead, then where in the world was Hyun Soo?

 

“Where are you going?!?” Dae Yong asked frantically as he staggered to stand up and ran outside to grab a motorcycle.

 

His pulse was beating hard and he trembled not because of his injury, but because of crippling fear. Chan Ho was definitely a distraction. At some blind spot without cctvs, he and Hyun Soo must’ve split up. While he was busy with Chan Ho, Hyun Soo would go to Bong Hee since she was without any of their protection at the moment.

 

“Ahjumma, where is Bong Hee right now?”

 

“You idiot. You’ll die before you even reach her.”

 

“WHERE IS SHE?!?”

 

 There was silence on the line and Ji Wook thought he was gonna go crazy.

 

“Ahjumma…....if she dies…..then I might as well be dead.” He wouldn’t be able to stand loosing someone again and she knew that.

 

Min Ja audibly sighs and his grip tightens on the handlebars.

 

Ji Wook didn’t care if his wound was getting worse every second. He’s been through it a lot of times before. There was only one thing that mattered to him the most right now.

 

Eun Bong Hee.

 

 

-----------------------------------

 

Note: i don't know if you guys still remember Dong-Won, he's the police guy in Healer that used to idolize Ahjumma (because they worked in the same department, basically computer works) and swore to catch Healer but ended up helping them instead?haha Dae Yong was the girl who got the most screentime among Ahjumma's team, she's always chewing gum. she assisted Healer the most among the "kids" :)

I'll be uploading 2 chapters until the last within this week (YES, I REALLY WROTE THE LAST CHAPTER ALREADY OMG ;w;)  i've made you guys wait long enough that i decided to not drag it out further.

stay with me guys! we're almost there hehehehe :D