Text Messages

The Real Me

Ji Wook had to physically stop his feet from tapping the ground from nervousness.

 

He had finally gathered up the courage to type a message to Bong Hee's personal number and it was the most nerve-wracking experience he ever had since taking the bar exam. He couldn't believe that he was acting like a wimp for such a simple text.

 

He had actually started sending the flowers just so he could have some form of communication with Bong Hee, even though it meant that she will never know it was him. Sending her messages was enough to bring a smile and relief to his face. He knew she would grow curious over time so he had specifically asked the female florist to re-write the messages he had and to keep his identity secret, assured at the fact that Bong Hee would never force to know about him; she was wonderful and  considerate that way.

 

So imagine the shock that he had the day when he visited the flower shop again and the florist gave him the business card with her personal number. It was like he had entered a Nirvana. He never expected that Bong Hee would actually want to have direct contact with him and the happiness he felt was beyond this world.

 

It took him a while to think of what to say to her when the florist had noticed his dilemma and offered a suggestion that he start with a simple thanks. He thought she was a genius. He wrote a simple message for the card and smiled as he stared at the Forget-me-nots that he chose after a long while. The flowers exactly represented his love for her and he was satisfied of his choice.

 

"She's a beautiful lady." the florist commented as she rewrote his message.

 

He smiled and agreed wholeheartedly. "Yes.....she's very beautiful inside and out." He may or may not have seen the glint of admiration in her eyes after he said the words.

 

He had to register another number before he went back to the Prosecutor's office. The number he had of her before was now her business number and she had a new one for her personal. Ji Wook doubted that she still has his number but he thought that there wasn't anything wrong with being safe by getting a new one.

 

He sat in his chair and had contemplated on what to text. He had never been fond of texting, only using the feature if needed, so now he was at a loss on how to start up a conversation. Should he just simply say hello?

 

Hello...

 

He quickly deleted the text. Okay, too simple, she might even ignore it.

 

It's me, the one who sent the flowers. I've been admiring you for a long time already. Thank you for giving me your number.

 

He bit his lip and wondered if it sounded so stalker-ish. Reading it over and over again, he deemed that it was a bad approach and ended up deleting it again.

 

When did typing a text become such a difficult task? He threw his phone at the table and grabbed his hair exasperatedly, making Mr. Bang flinch at the sound and look at him with question.

 

"What should i say?" he pursed his lips, knowing that he wouldn't get any answer when Mr. Bang only stared at him and shrugged.

 

He grabbed his cellphone again and started typing, leaving it all up to his fingers and not forgetting to add in an emoji to make him sound a bit more friendlier. Hitting send, he held his breath as he waited for whatever the result of his text would give him. Was it safer to pretend to be a woman so she would be more comfortable talking to him?

 

The ping of his cellphone almost made him jump and his heart started beating erratically as he saw her name pop up with a response.

 

From: Eun Bong Hee

Hello!

We finally talked to each other! I've always wanted to talk to you directly. Thank you very much for the flowers, i love each one of them. You are very thoughtful ^^

 

Ji Wook covered his face as he grinned. He was too happy and giddy. He can't believe that this was really happening. Bong Hee was talking to him!

 

He quickly started typing and didn't notice how Mr. Bang was smiling as well as he observed him. His happy aura was something too great to ignore after all.

 

                                     I'm glad you loved them.
                                     I hope i didn't bother you by sending
                                    flowers so frequently.

 

Oh no! I always looked forward for them.
The florist told me that you always took
time to choose the flowers and i'm very
thankful. May i ask why you want to keep
your identity secret?

 

His smile vanished and Ji Wook rubbed the back of his neck. He should've known that she would eventually ask. He typed with gritted teeth as he responded with a lie.

 

                                        I'm sorry. I'm just really shy.
                                        Someday when i get the
                                        courage, i'll meet you.You can call
                                        me Ms. Park :)

 

I see. Okay Ms. Park. Can i mention
how beautiful your handwriting is?
It somehow suits your name. Please
call me Bong Hee :)

 

He smiles as he read her response. She was too friendly, accepting such reasons with ease. Didn't she ever had suspicions with the flower sender? He shakes his head until he hears Mr. Bang clear his throat and he typed in a last response before starting his work with renewed cheerfulness.

 

Things turned out better than he expected.

 

.

 

Bong Hee never thought that she'd actually have a textmate and someone whom she doesn't know personally at that.

 

It was suspicious that the woman was so secretive but Bong Hee couldn't think badly of her when her text messages were sweet and caring like a mother's.

 

She exchanged texts with Ms. Park sometimes and even though she had insisted that the older didn't have to (she figured that Ms. Park was older than her) the flowers still kept on coming.

 

It was mostly forget-me-nots. Especially since she mentioned that it was her favorite flower and color. Her table had been a sea of blue most of the time due to the flowers and she couldn't be any happier. Ms. Park was too kind.

 

However, things started to happen in time with her good mood. Bong Hee would often eat at the cafeteria now, especially whenever she had trials and unfortunately, Ji Wook also ate there.

 

She automatically fumbles with her cellphone while she ate in order to avoid any form of eye contact with him but then, a hand had come into her vision and left a yogurt drink near her plate. She wanted to believe it was some ghost who gave her some cursed item but the image of Ji Wook's back walking away from her table was somehow undeniable.

 

She stares at the yogurt and sneaks a glance at Ji Wook's table. He was eating alone and was giving her some shy glances as well. What's with the sudden gesture? After all this time?

 

She bites her lip and takes the yogurt hesitantly, deciding that it was rude not to take it given that it was an act of kindness on his part.

 

Apparently, it was a bad idea because now Ji Wook keeps on passing by her table whenever she eats there and would never fail to give her a yogurt; all the while not saying anything but giving her those glances that meant so much more in his eyes (she decided to not think deeply of the meaning behind those stares). The way her heart always kept beating rapidly whenever he did that was definitely not healthy.

 

Which is why she was now in a dilemma and kept hitting her head at her desk. She grabbed her phone and started typing.

 

Hi Ms. Park, are you busy?

 

It took a few minutes before that expected ringtone came.

 

                                              Not really. Why? Is something
                                              wrong?

 

Uhmm...nothing big really...

 

                                              What is it? You know you can
                                              tell me anything. I'll help you in
                                              anyway i can.

 

You're the best Ms. Park (╥_╥)
Just that... I have this friend that
I had a huge argument with years ago
and we haven't really had any
communication since then...but i saw
him recently and he keeps giving me
hints (?) but i'm really not ready to be
talking to him yet cause it still hurts...

 

Bong Hee sighs as she leans on her arm. It felt weird if she told Ms. Park the truth that the "friend" she was talking about was not really a friend, but someone who she loved very much and is maybe still loving....she shook her head.

 

She furrowed her eyebrows when the response took longer than she expected. Ms. Park must actually be very busy but is too kind to refuse her. She was about to type something else when a message popped up.

 

                              You don't have to force yourself
                              Bong Hee-shi. If you're not ready
                              then you're not. Maybe that
                              person just wanted to
                              communicate with you? You can
                              always tell him off if he makes
                              you uncomfortable. I'm sure he
                             will respect your decision.

 

Bong Hee smiles as she read her message. Ms. Park always gave the best advice and she did it again. Uncomfortable? Not really, she couldn't deny that she had those heart fluttering butterflies again whenever he does those simple gestures. It's just that she doesn't know how to interpret it. Should she be happy? Is he trying to apologize? Is it safe to talk to him again? What if she ends up assuming and she gets hurt again?

 

So many questions would muddle her mind and it made her scared of talking to him. How would she even start? It would be awkward for sure.

 

She takes a breath and types her response.

 

Thank you Ms. Park. I'll think
about it. I'm sorry if i disturbed you.

       
                                               Don't ever think about that
                                               Bong Hee-shi. You are never a
                                               disturbance.

 

Bong Hee smiles and sets her cellphone down. She didn't know when it started, but the mysterious Ms. Park had become a source of comfort for her and she was glad that she met someone like her; even if only through text.

 

.

 

Ji Wook didn't know exactly what entered his mind when he started giving Bong Hee yogurt drinks whenever he saw her at the cafeteria.

 

Maybe because they were texting each other and she was so friendly towards him that he somehow wanted to be closer to her in reality like how they were in the digital world. He was becoming greedy, he knows, but he couldn't stop.

 

He sees her again at the cafeteria today and he beams. The cafeteria was quickly becoming his favorite place now and excitement fills him as he grabs another yogurt from the counter. It's not like they were actually talking, but the simple knowledge that she takes the yogurts he gives her is already enough to make him giddy.

 

He readies himself as he gets closer towards her table and gently places the yogurt at the usual spot. What surprised him however, was how her fingers encircled his wrist just when he was about to walk away and he nearly toppled over his tray in shock.

 

He hears her mutter a quick apology and stares at the apple that she handed to his open palm. He stood at the spot, not quite believing what had actually happened. He didn't even notice that she scrambled to stand and hurriedly took the yogurt before she went away.

 

The smile that was now taking over his face was so obvious that people started staring at him while he sat at the next table. He kept fumbling with the special apple, turning it here and there as if it was some diamond that he picked up somewhere. He snickers as he remembers her fleeting touch when she nervously gave it to him. She was cute.

 

It was so simple, but there's progress right? He fistpumps the air as if he just won the lottery and made his way to his office with a bounce in his steps.

 

Mr. Bang looks at him with amusement as he hears him whistling before arranging the documents. Carrying the heavy bundle, he placed it on the prosecutor's table and expected the usual complaint. A happy smile greeted him instead when Ji Wook thanked him and his eyes grew wide from shock. The prosecutor was in really good mood lately that Mr. Bang ended up whistling as well.

 

He sees the apple in Ji Wook's table though and grabbed it, knowing that the prosecutor would give it to him later.

 

"ANDWAE!!!!!!!!!" Mr. Bang nearly dropped the apple when he flinched from Ji Wook's sudden scream. Ji Wook quickly took the apple from his hands and wiped it with his sleeves while shooting death glares at him.

 

"I didn't give it to you, why did you suddenly take it?!?"

 

"B-but....you always gave your leftover fruits to me..." Mr. Bang explained warily but decided to go back to his desk when Ji Wook only proceeded to throw him a glare.

 

Why was the man so protective over a darn apple?

 

.

 

Bong Hee giggled as she read Ms. Park's text message about some assistant of hers that nearly ate her precious dessert some days ago. The older must've liked sweets as well and Bong Hee mentally made a note so she can invite her for a snack someday when she's ready.

 

She hears someone clearing their throat and saw Eun Hyuk pouting in front of her.

 

"Bong Hee-shi, i can't believe you're one of those type who forgets old friendships whenever you have a new one." he looks at her with puppy eyes, with his lips pouting and his finger making circles at her desk. Bong Hee would've laughed at the sight if she weren't so guilty with his words.

 

"Aigoo!" she stands up and pats his head as she rides along his drama. "Someone's needing attention! How could i forget to walk this puppy outside?" she lightly hits her head and laughs as Eun Hyuk's lips further pouted.

 

"Wanna go buy supplies for the pantry Lawyer Ji? We're quickly running out of coffee and sugar." she raises an eyebrow at him with a teasing smile.

 

He quickly perks up and nodded as he tagged along when she made her way to his car. "Wait.." he stops her with a frown. "Why does it seem like you're the superior one? I'm the superior! So you should follow me." Huffing his chest, he proceeds to walk towards his car with his chin up, making Bong Hee giggle as she follows him.

 

They went towards the nearest supermarket and Bong Hee automatically reaches out for a cart, flinching in surprise when her hand made contact with Eun Hyuk as he reached out for the cart as well. He holds her hand and smiles at her, "I'll take it."

 

Bong Hee got confused as he released her hand and pushed the cart forward. Eun Hyuk would sometimes look at her at a certain way and she couldn't deny that the fleeting touch that was rarely given by the man made her tremble. The way he treated her was definitely different from the way he treats others in their office but she always thought that it was probably because she was his previous intern. Lately though, there's something more......something that made her want to hide and place some lock at her heart.

 

"What are you doing? Let's go." she snapped back to the present when she heard his voice and saw him with a confused look.

 

"N-nothing...let's go."

 

They proceeded to get the things they needed and she breathed in relief. Coffee, creamer, sugar, tissues, disposable cups and some salt that Bong Hee returned at the display when Eun Hyuk recommended with a laugh that it would be hilarious if the others would mix salt with their coffee. Really, the man's pranks has no end.

 

The sudden sound of a cart being hit and bottles clattering everywhere got everyone's attention and Bong Hee gasped as she sees bottles of juice scattered all over the place with a girl standing in the middle, horrified as she held on to her cart. Good thing the bottles were plastics and nothing was broken.

 

"I-I'm so sorry! I didn't notice that there's a display of juice in the middle!" she cried to no one and with trembling hands, started to pick up the bottles.

 

Eun Hyuk immediately approached her with worry. "You're okay right?" when the girl nodded, he sighed in relief.

 

A raging man had approached them, probably the supervisor, and started yelling at the girl. Bong Hee was about to let go of the bottles she helped picked up to argue with the man but Eun Hyuk confidently intercepted. He assured the man that they were gonna check if there were any damages done and deal with any problems this may cause. The supervisor, the position confirmed by the man himself, seemed to calm down when Eun Hyuk introduced himself as a lawyer and walked away, grumbling at a near sales assistant to help with arranging the bottles again.

 

"Thank you very much ahjusshi." the girl cried as she held on to his hand. "You'll be blessed for sure."

 

"Oh that's nothing! You don't have to worry so much okay? And don't call me ahjusshi." he laughs and grabs something from his bag, "Here, have my card, call me if that man gives you any problem and i'll help you. If i'm correct, you're a student right?" he responds with a cheerful smile, making the girl visibly relax and talk to him better.

 

Bong Hee could only stare in admiration to him. He handled the situation perfectly and comforted the girl in the most gentle way. He seemed to shine brighter than usual and she smiled as she observes him. Nothing short of her lawyer idol as expected.

 

"What?" he looks at her innocently when the girl went away and he places a hand on their cart again.

 

"As expected, you're a great man." she looks at him proudly and he beams at her.

 

"You like that about me right?"

 

Bong Hee nods distractedly as she turns towards the fruit section.

 

"I like you too."

 

She stops at his words and stared at him, wide-eyed. Did she hear that correctly?

 

He sheepishly smiles at her with a wink and proceeds to walk towards the fruits. Bong Hee feels her heart beating rapidly and places a hand to her chest. She shook her head to banish any strange thoughts that came up the moment she heard him say the words.

 

Stop it Bong Hee. Nothing good comes out of assuming anything. Haven't you learned by now?!?

 

She takes a shaky breath and frowns as she catched up with Eun Hyuk. She didn't like being confused with his sudden remarks. After all this time, she should have already gotten used to his randomness.

 

The fruits that were on display looked so fresh that she couldn't help but pick some. She placed some strawberries on their cart, then tangerines, then some mangoes until her eyes landed on the apples.

 

The blush that crept up to her cheeks burned and she briefly touched her face in attempt to calm herself down. She had actually given an apple to Ji Wook days ago as thanks for all the yogurt drink he gave her and maybe as an initiative for some communication? She was confused herself.

 

"How about some apples Bong He--"

 

She raised her head in question when Eun Hyuk didn't finish his sentence and the gasp that escaped her lips was audible. The man she was thinking about just seconds ago had somehow materialized in front of them and was holding some apples in his hand.

 

The situation was so bizarre that Bong Hee almost whispered "Daebak".

 

Out of all the supermarkets around, why did they have to bump into Ji Wook??

 

 

 

 

------------


NOTE: Oh gosh guys i'm so sorry, i really didn't notice that the chapters were getting longer and longer, this chap legit reached more than 3k words HAHAHA it's just that,it doesn't seem right to cut it to two chapters that's why it all ended up long. I hope you guys enjoy the long chapters though (╥﹏╥)

 

The idea of text messaging and Ji Wook pretending is actually inspired by Jang Nara and Jang Hyuk's romcom drama "Fated to Love You". I didn't use any exact words though, just the idea itself. It's a really awesome drama! Made me laugh and cry so many times. I totally recommend it! ^^