The lost K2

The Real Me

It's been years. After much difficulty, it was finally time to return to Korea. He had been living as a lost soul with no direction and purpose. He could only hope that he will be given a chance to visit her grave and properly grieve for his loss no matter how long it had already been.

 

"Please save me!"

 

Desperate eyes met his lifeless ones. Thin female body, injured feet, dirty clothes and messy long hair. He had no time to be involved in another person's problem, let alone a person who clearly looked liked a troublemaker. He had to go to the airport.

 

But alas, the feeling of guilt overwhelms him.

 

I couldn't protect her. Even though i vowed that i will.

 

No! Never again. He pushed her off.

 

"Go"

 

He caught a glimpse of her confused look before he turned towards the men who was chasing her. He could distract them for a bit and give her a headstart to escape. Make it quick, his mind trying to find his reflexes again as he blocked the men and prepared for attack.

 

Ultimately, it was the start of something that was difficult to fathom. He thought he could live hidden from society once he came back. He had cut off any communication with his past life whether as Healer or Seo Jung Hoo.

 

Turns out, he could never escape his violent past. He had a chance for revenge, although it came in a form of being a bodyguard for a secret daughter of a presidential candidate,that same girl he saved in that foreign land. He was willing to use any resources he could get his hands on to kill Park Kwan Soo, the man who ordered the death of his lover.He had to take on another fake identity again but it didn't bother him. He didn't even know who he was anymore.

 

"I'm Kim Je-Ha, codename K2." he stared as she observed him, looking as if she could see everything through his eyes.

 

He thought his heart would not be swayed again. He believed he had made it turn to stone that day he decided to abandon the name "Healer". But as he spent the days knowing this girl called Anna, understanding her and protecting her, he had grown especially fond of her. His heart always anxious for the endless dangers surrounding her.

 

Why is it that the most important people in his life are always in danger?

 

Is he gonna lose another loved one again?

 

Never.

 

His eyes grew more deadly each day although he is unable to kill with his trembling hands that could never press the trigger of a gun. He swore that this time, this time, he will die first before he lets anything hurt Anna.

 

And he almost did. His life hovering over that thin line between life and death. He almost gave in, wondering if he could meet Young Shin again in the afterlife where he was sure that they could be together without worrying about anything.

 

But he was alive. He had someone to protect. Someone who whispered words of love in his ears during the time where he was slipping in and out of consciousness. He had to wake up.

 

The days after was him carrying his body around heavy with pain,wounds and worry. He had no time to rest, everybody was in danger but he couldn't save each one of them. In the end, his hand held on to the very person who held him to the ground. Anna survived in exchange for the life of her father and stepmother.

 

It almost seemed impossible at first, but he finally got his wish, the death of Park Kwan Soo;with him taking his own life. All the other threats to Anna were also gone and he was free to do whatever he wants. It was the closest thing he considered to be a miracle.

 

The first thing he did was visit the grave of Young Shin, the girl he first loved. The girl who took him out of the shadows and now resting peacefully. Tears were shed, memories were brought up and love was given. He had brought justice and it calmed the restless hearts of his previous lover's family.

 

"i love you Je-Ha"

 

He smiled slightly as Anna was showering him with kisses under the sunset in that foreign land where they first met.

 

"but hey....what's your real name anyway?"

 

Everything stood still, he stared at her expecting eyes. Suddenly, his worries over the past few months that were eating him slowly but steadily everyday overwhelmed him.

 

"Me?.....My name is...."

 

Ji Wook. No Ji Wook.

 

He couldn't bring himself to say the words. His heart was full of doubts and worries. For months, he was questioning himself over and over.

 

Do i really love this girl?

 

For sure, his feelings for her cannot be compared to the heart-wrenching and heart-fluttering love he felt for Young Shin. It was different. It was more of a protective love. Or was it even love?

 

Seeing how she was so weak and needing of his protection, it was only natural for him to want to be beside her. She was important, not only for his mission but also for him and he would never let someone die again.

 

Was he really ready to open up his world? To rip that seal he strongly placed over his past? He wanted to start from scratch, from the very beginning, to forget everything and start anew. For him, it was his true name which carried that heartful wish.

 

But he couldn't picture Anna in it, in that brand new world he wanted so badly because no matter how unfair and harsh it was, she was still part of that awful story of his that he wanted to erase.

 

"Later...." his voice finally found itself coming out of his mouth.

 

She looked at him in the eyes and he saw loneliness reflected in hers. She wasn't dumb. She knew for months already. That strong longing he had to be on his own.

 

She kissed him gently on his forehead as what she believed would be the very last time. "i only wish you keep even just a small portion of me in a corner of your heart." she wiped the tears that were starting to fall on his cheeks. "You have made it possible for me to start anew........now it's your turn." she stood up from his lap and smiled at the now dark sky. "Goodbye, K2."

 

------

It's been so long since he had a peaceful sleep. Was it years already? Every night was a torture, memories turned to nightmares and insomnia was the only hateful companion he had at night.

 

He took off his glasses and leaned on his chair. Eventually, he had to accept that no matter how complicated his past was, it was still a part of him.

 

Everything is okay now.

 

Everything is peaceful.

 

He took his desk name plate and traced the words with his fingers.

 

Prosecutor No Ji Wook.