EPILOGUE: "The Real Me"

The Real Me

  

The cafe was quiet. Ji Wook especially chose the place since it’s how Min Ja prefers it. The old hacker was still unsociable even after all these years and he was thankful that she was willing to see him in person. She looked older now but her curly disheveled hair and the glint in her wise eyes were still the same.

 

“Thanks for everything Ahjumma.”

 

Ji Wook hands her a small black box containing the earpiece. It was sad to part with it after keeping it as a momento for so long but it was high time that he return it.

 

Mi Ja pursed her lips as she stares at the object. After a brief pause and a sip of her ordered coffee, she pushes it back to him. “Keep it.”

 

Ji Wook widens his eyes in surprise. “I thought you wanted me to return it?”

 

“Well, having a client who participates in the mission itself is always welcome.” Min Ja shrugs. “Just that it would be better if you don’t get shot next time.” she gives him a hint of smile and he chuckles.

 

He takes the small box back and  places it in his pocket. “I’ll try.”

 

Min Ja grinned and her wrinkles appeared. She may look weak and fragile but the old woman still had a lot of fire in her. She stood up and took her cup. “Take care kid.”

 

Before she turned to walk away, Ji Wook stood up and wordlessly bowed in respect, thankful for the mother that he once had and was still looking out for him. She pats him on the shoulder and he glances up.

 

“I’m proud of you.” a rare smile and off she goes, leaving him smiling and his hand firmly holding the box in his pocket. It dawns on him that he had quite a rough start but the amount of blessings he received in this life was really something. He had so many people who cared for him and he had bonds that were far stronger than blood relations. He was surrounded by love and he was always given the chance to love. He only had to open his eyes and live in the present. Ji Wook wonders why it took long for him to realize it and shakes his head in defeat.

 

After a while, his phone rings and he answers when he sees the caller ID.

 

“Our son!!” Ji Wook promptly turns his phone away from his ear before holding it close again. His mother was always so bubbly and enthusiastic when it comes to him. 

 

“Mother.”

 

“How are you and Bong Hee doing?” she cheerfully asks and he hears someone giggle over the phone. Her and Bong Hee’s mom must’ve been hanging out together again. Mr. Byun recently complained to him that she barely comes home now and spends more time with Young Soon. The mother and daughter were taking them both away from him and Ji Wook didn’t really have an answer to that so he could only pat his father’s back in a futile attempt to comfort him.

 

“We’re doing fine.” he smiles. “How about you both? Why did you call?”

 

“Oh you know, just wanted to ask something.” another giggle.

 

“What?”

 

There was silence on the line and Ji Wook started to have a bad feeling.

 

“So when are you and Bong Hee gonna get married?”

 

Ji Wook had to close his eyes and mentally slap his forehead.

 

I knew it.


 

----------------------- 


 

 

 

 

 

I love you.

 

Bong Hee blushes every time she remembers Ji Wook say those words months ago. It took a long while to finally hear it from him and it was darn worth it. He was after all, a tough nut to crack. She realizes it now more so after he told her about his dark past.

 

And so, she really didn’t want to be childish but it wasn’t bad to want to hear it again and again from him right? Specially since they were officially a couple now.

 

Bong Hee playfully nudges him again as they sat on the ottoman sofa while watching a movie on his laptop.

 

“Why are you so persistent?” Ji Wook refuses to look at her and was staring intently on the screen.

 

“Well why don’t you just say it again?” she frowned.

 

“Why do I need to repeat it?”

 

“Because I want you to.”

 

It was usually at this point where Ji Wook would grow silent and she would give up. But then, it wouldn’t be Bong Hee if she didn’t remember things that pissed her off before that piled up inside her head and now was resurfacing due to her being frustrated at him.

 

She huffed and crosses her arms. “To think you threatened and scared me at my apartment not too long ago.” 

 

Ji Wook glances at her in surprise.

 

“And then pretended to be someone else while texting me.”

 

Ji Wook sports an awkward expression and turns to her fully.

 

“Not to mention rejecting me when I confessed to you after building up the courage to confess in the first place.”

 

“B-Bong Hee-yah.” Ji Wook was at loss on what to do until he remembers Mr. Byun jokingly tell him and Mr. Bang before that the best way to a woman’s heart was always to say sorry even if you didn’t know what you did wrong. The magic words never failed based on his experience. Ji Wook didn’t really believe him because he witnessed his parents fight for so many times and Mr. Byun had a knack for boasting things that never happened. 

 

Besides, didn’t he already apologize to Bong Hee regarding that before?

 

“I’m sorry.” he decides to give in and affectionately tries to reach out to her but she moves away.

 

“You pushed me away so many times before, you ought to experience it yourself.” she gives him the evil eyes.

 

Ji Wook knew she wasn’t really that mad.

 

He was still able to turn her towards him but her head was facing to the side, refusing to look at him. Ji Wook thought it was quite cute how she sometimes acted spoiled and demanded for his attention. He honestly believed that he knew Bong Hee more than anyone after living with her before but there were so many new things he discovered about her now that they were in a relationship and everything settled down. The normal daily interactions they had, the constant longing for each other even though they just spent the whole day together, even the random and nonsense fights they had. 

 

A perfect day to day, where it’s as if he was her and she was him.

 

He smiles and playfully leans to his side to come to her view. “Eun Bong Hee.”

 

“I’m not gonna forgive you so easily this ti--”

 

Ji Wook suddenly kisses her cheek and when she finally turns her head towards him in surprise, he places a lingering kiss on her lips, smiling as he pulled away and he sees her sulking on her defeat.

 

Ji Wook softly chuckles and leans towards her. “I love you.” he whispers near her ear and gathered her in his arms. He buried his face on her neck in embarrassment. “You’re the only one I’ve ever said that to...so i’m not used to saying it. I’ll try harder next time.”

 

Bong Hee tried to hide her surprise. He had lovers before her but he never said i love you to them? Well, now that she thinks about it, it made sense. He was the type of guy who was more on actions rather than words. Hearing him admit it to her made her really happy so Bong Hee hugs him back and giggles.

 

Ji Wook was always full of surprises. Now that she knew everything about him, it’s as if all his restraints were gone and he was full of affection for her (aside from telling her in plain words that he loves her). He was still so busy with his work but he never fails to make it up to her, often the one sulking when he couldn’t spend time with her. There were new sides to him that she hasn’t seen before and it warmed her heart that he finally opened up everything for her to see.

 

“I love you too.” she whispers back.

 

When he pulled away, he gently grabs her left hand and places a ring on her finger. Bong Hee was shocked and could only stare at him wide-eyed.

 

Ji Wook glances at the ring lovingly before meeting her eyes with his determined ones. “Bong Hee-yah…..I will love you for my entire life.” 

 

Her eyes softens and she looks down to see how beautiful and simple the ring was. Just like how she liked it. Just like how Ji Wook liked it. And it was the perfect ring she’d ever seen.

 

“Is this a proposal?” surprisingly, she was calm. As if her whole being was always ready for this moment.

 

Ji Wook nodded. “There’s something else that comes with it.”

 

Bong Hee gave him a questioning look.

 

“It’s sad and a little broken, but it’s all I have.” he closes his eyes as if to stop himself from crying. “The real me.”

 

Bong Hee smiles and she couldn’t help but cry. She reaches out a hand and cups his cheek, willing him to open his teary eyes and look at her. She leans and their lips touch, a soft and thankful kiss. “It’s everything I want.”

 

He lets out a relieved breath and they both laughed through the tears.

 

“So is that a yes?”

 

Bong Hee pinches his cheek this time and brightly smiles.





 

 

 

 

 

“You don’t even need to ask.”

 

 

 

-------------------END------------------------

 

NOTE:

 

I hope you like this bonus chapter ^^ This will really be the last, I won't be writing a continuation since it'll be too similar to my other SusPar fics and it'll be too redundant. You can check it out! It's all posted here ^^

 

1. Lifetime Partner - Drabbles of Ji Wook and Bong Hee's marriage life.  Fluffiness and hilarity ensues.

2. Becoming a dad - Ji Wook was scared and anxious and happy. Was he ready to welcome this brand new title of his? A father?

 

I can't promise that I'll continue those soon but those fics are drabbles at most so I can come back to it anytime ^^

 

Thank you guys once again! Till next time~