Chapter 8

Cappuccinos & Crushes

Yerin was sulking.

 

It’d been three days since SinB had come over. This normally wouldn’t have been an issue, since she’d usually see the girl at school, but they were hardly alone long enough to talk about the almost kiss. Not to mention, this weekend SinB’s dance team would be performing at an event, so SinB had been too busy with dance practice to come to the cafe.

 

Yerin sighed again, only to be hit in the head with a dishtowel. She turned to where it came from and found Joy smirking at her with Sejeong chuckling next to her.

 

“You’re so depressing right now,” Joy explained. “What’s got your in a twist?”

 

“My are fine,” Yerin huffed.

 

“Maybe that’s the problem,” Sejeong teased, earning herself a fist bump from Joy.

 

Yerin glared at both of them. “You aren’t allowed to tease me about this just because you and Chungha-ssi are dating now.”

 

“Actually I am since you and SinB-ssi aren’t dating yet.”

 

“That’s not my fault!”

 

Joy snorted. “It kind of is. Like I said, just tell her. Better yet, no words. Just kiss her.”

 

“Trust me I’ve tried,” Yerin grumbled, thinking they wouldn’t hear her. She realized she was wrong when they both gasped and backed her into the counter to push for more details. “Ah, you’re both so annoying. I invited her over. We said we liked each other and almost kissed, alright?”

 

“Why the almost kiss?” Sejeong asked.

 

Yerin shrugged. “I don’t know. Our friend Umji-yah needed help with something.”

 

“Great timing,” Joy laughed.

 

Before Yerin could be interrogated some more, the bell above the door jingled and the subject of their conversation walked in. SinB looked beautiful as always, clearly coming from dance practice with her sweats and messy ponytail.

 

SinB swaggered up to the counter with a smug look as if she’d known they’d been talking about her. She leaned forward on her hands and kissed Yerin’s cheek. Sejeong and Joy whistled and giggled at the affection, making Yerin blush and shoo them away. When she turned back, SinB was grinning.

 

“I’ve missed you,” were the first words out of Yerin’s mouth. Her cheeks quickly went from pink to red. She really needed to learn how to control her mind-to-mouth filter.

 

Thankfully, SinB didn’t . If anything, she softened at the remark. “I’ve missed you too, unnie. Sorry I haven’t been around much. Dance practice has been killer. The only reason I even got out early today is that they’re afraid of burning us out before the event.”

 

“It’s okay. You’re here now.”

 

SinB grinned again. “Yes, I am. One cappuccino?” She handed over the 3,000 won before Yerin could even ask, already knowing the cost after ordering so many times.

 

“I’ll bring it over to you when it’s done.”

 

“What a gentleman,” SinB teased. She reached out and poked Yerin’s cheek. “Take your time and don’t burn yourself.”

 

Yerin blushed. “That was once!” It really had happened only once, and it was only because when Yerin had been grabbing the steamed milk, SinB had decided it’d be a good idea to bend over in her skirt.

 

SinB just laughed and walked over to a booth toward the front of the cafe.

 

Yerin got to making SinB’s cappuccino. As she did so, Sejeong and Joy sidled up on either side of her, grinning like twin devils.

 

“She’s cute,” Sejeong cooed.

 

Joy nodded and pouted. “Sejeong-ssi, when will I find someone who’ll make cappuccinos for me?”

 

“You may be able to convince Yerin-ssi before she seals the deal with SinB-ssi.”

 

Yerin elbowed them both. “Shut up, you two. You’re so embarrassing.”

 

This did nothing to deter them though. Sejeong just laughed while Joy said, “We’ve been upgraded from annoying to embarrassing.”

 

Yerin was really tempted to dump her freshly made cappuccino over Joy’s head but convinced herself it wouldn’t be worth the whining and cleaning. She ignored her co-workers jibes as she walked over to give SinB her drink.

 

Hearing her approach, SinB looked up and smiled. “Thanks, unnie.”

 

“Anytime, SinB-ah.”

 

The girls just stared at each other for a long moment, both remembering the last time they’d been alone like this in Yerin’s bedroom. They probably would’ve stayed like that until someone snapped them out of it, but instead of Sejeong or Joy like Yerin expected, a stranger suddenly squeezed between her and SinB. She tackled the younger girl with a hug so strong that SinB toppled over.

 

Yerin could only watch as the stranger and SinB giggled as they sat back up. The stranger turned out to be a very pretty girl about SinB’s age with light brown hair and a cute smile. The two girls excitedly spoke to each other, forgetting Yerin was even there.

 

Just as Yerin was turning to leave, SinB reached out to grab her wrist. Yerin reluctantly stayed, unsure of how she felt about this new girl and the wide grin on SinB’s face.

 

“Yerin-unnie, this is my best friend, Eunseo-yah!” SinB introduced happily. She had an arm around Eunseo’s waist while Eunseo had her hand on SinB’s thigh.

 

Yerin could only stare. It wasn’t until SinB cleared that Yerin realized she hadn’t said anything. She flushed and coughed awkwardly. She gave a slight bow and said, “It’s nice to meet you Eunseo-ssi. If you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to get back to work.” With that, Yerin left them.

 

“Did I do something?” Yerin heard Eunseo ask.

 

Then she heard SinB sigh and reply, “Who knows.”

 

Yerin practically stormed behind the counter, and she knew it was bad when both Sejeong and Joy stayed clear of her, not saying a word. She wasn’t in the right mind to apologize for her attitude at the moment though. She angrily cleaned mugs and watched Eunseo and SinB. She knew she didn’t have a right to be upset because 1) she and SinB weren’t even dating and 2) even if they were SinB had said they were friends. But still. There was something about the smiles and easy skinship between the two that had Yerin envious.

 

By the end of her shift, an hour after Eunseo and SinB had left, Yerin had witnessed at least two dozen hugs, six cheek kisses, and far too many flirtatious giggles to count between Eunseo and SinB. This left her even grumpier than before. Because of this, Sejeong and Joy merely sent her sympathetic smiles as they left.

 

Yerin made sure everything was off and was locking up when she heard someone walk up behind her. She assumed it was either Sejeong or Joy waiting up for her, so when she turned around and saw SinB, she let out a startled scream.

 

SinB jumped at the scream then chuckled at their jumpiness. She walked up to Yerin and reached out to let their fingers tangle with each other. She smiled sweetly at her, tilting her head in a way that reminded Yerin of a puppy.

 

It was almost too easy to forget the way Eunseo had been draped SinB a while ago. Almost.

 

Yerin pulled away her fingers, watching as SinB dropped her hand and frowned.

 

“Is something wrong, unnie?” SinB’s eyebrows were furrowed together, and Yerin wanted to shout at her for being oblivious toward her jealousy.

 

Instead, Yerin sidestepped her and started walking home without answering. She should've known SinB wouldn't back down though because she’d barely walked three feet when SinB appeared at her side with her frown even more pronounced.

 

“Yerin-unnie, wait.” SinB grabbed her sleeve, pulling Yerin to a stop. She moved to be face-to-face with Yerin, anxiously searching for an answer as to what was wrong. “What happened?”

 

Too prideful to admit she was jealous of Eunseo, Yerin shook her head. “It's nothing.”

 

“Unnie…”

 

“Just drop it!” Yerin snapped.

 

“No, you’re clearly upset about something.”

 

“We’ve only known each other a few months. Why do you even care? You aren’t even my girlfriend!”

 

Yerin regretted her words as soon as they left , even more so when she saw the hurt etched across SinB’s face.

 

Grimacing, she tried to reach out. “SinB-ah…”

 

However, SinB was having none of it, too hurt by Yerin’s harsh words when she’d only been worried for her. God, Yerin had screwed up. “You’re right,” SinB said, voice shaky. “I'm not your girlfriend. Good night, Yerin-unnie.”


A/N: They couldn't just have completely smooth sailing, right? No worries though! Things will be resolved soon enough. Thanks again to everyone for reading this story and enjoying it so well :)