Chapter 7

Cappuccinos & Crushes

SinB rang Yerin’s doorbell a little after seven.

 

By then, Yerin had changed out of her uniform and into a pair of shorts and t-shirt. This was nothing in comparison to what SinB was wearing when Yerin opened the door. The younger girl was wearing black leggings were mesh up the sides, giving a sneak peeks at her legs, and a crop top. Yerin could only think that it should be illegal to have abs like that.

 

“Hey, Yerin-unnie.”

 

Yerin snapped out of her daze and let SinB in. Her parents gave customary greetings, and SinB replied in kind; Yerin was mildly surprised to see her be so polite since she was usually so brusque. She led her through the house, trying not to blush at the fact they were about to spend time together in her bedroom.

 

When Yerin let SinB into her room, the younger girl gave a small laugh and said, “Your room’s cute.” Which it was. With a pale pink bed set, stuffed animals piled onto her bed, and silly pictures hanging, her room wasn’t exactly intimidating. SinB wandered over to a photo she had hanging of her and the girls from middle school. She smiled softly. “Cute.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Alright, let’s get started on your homework,” SinB said and sat down comfortably on the bed.

 

Yerin followed more hesitantly, getting out her folder for physics and placing it between her and SinB. Hopefully that could keep them a decent distance apart. She wasn’t sure what she’d been thinking when she invited SinB over, but she thought it’d be a good idea to not get too friendly on a bed when SinB was still unclear about her interest. Not two seconds after Yerin thought this, SinB picked up the folder and scooted close enough to Yerin that their thighs touched.

 

“I can’t help you if we’re so far apart. It’ll be more comfortable this way,” SinB pointed out, grabbing the pencil that Yerin had. “Okay, so these aren’t so different from the problems I helped you with from before.”

 

It was very sweet that SinB was so eager to help her with her physics homework, but Yerin kind of wished SinB would be more willing to help her with, let’s say, chemistry… Or even better, anatomy. Yerin tried to listen though, since the girl really was trying to help her, but it was easier said than done. They were sitting so close that Yerin felt hyper aware of everything SinB. She couldn’t ignore her thigh against hers, the way she her lips in between explaining things, how if Yerin just leaned in she could kiss her.

 

“You aren’t even listening.”

 

Yerin realized SinB was now staring at her instead of the homework, looking somewhere between annoyed and amused.

 

“I was so listening!” Yerin lied.

 

Sinb raised an eyebrow. “Really, then what did I just say?”

 

Well, Yerin definitely was caught now. Nonetheless, she weakly guessed, “Something about pi?”

 

SinB rolled her eyes and tossed the homework and pencil to the floor. “If you wanted to hang out, unnie, you could’ve just asked.”

 

“I-I could’ve?”

 

“Uh, yeah?” SinB shook her head. “You’re so weird. Aren’t we friends?” The question made Yerin pause. They were friends, but that wasn’t all Yerin wanted. Was that all SinB wanted? “Let’s do something other than homework, unnie.”

 

“How about a movie?” Yerin suggested, reaching for her laptop. “What do you want to watch?”

 

“Can we watch a scary movie?”

 

Yerin’s first instinct was to say no, but as she looked at SinB’s excited face she found she couldn’t. Resigned to the nightmares that were sure to follow, Yerin pulled up the movie SinB requested. Then SinB scooted even closer to Yerin, practically tucking herself into Yerin’s side as she reached out to hold Yerin’s hand. Well, if a scary movie was the price she had to pay for SinB to be this affectionate, it’d be worth it.

 

About halfway into the movie, SinB reached out and paused it suddenly. She turned to Yerin and squinted suspiciously at her like she’d done when Yerin had asked her over in the first place. “Why did you say yes to this if you don’t like scary movies?”

 

“W-who said I don’t?” Yerin countered, even though it was undoubtedly true. The last time Yerin had watched a scary movie she’d been thirteen and had to sleep with a nightlight for the two months that followed.

 

“Unnie, you are so tense right now,” SinB pointed out. “You were nearly shaking. Not to mention, I’m pretty sure you whimpered when they found the dead dog.”

 

“That was sad!”

 

SinB chuckled and reached out to tuck a stray strand behind Yerin’s ear. She turned more to face Yerin, and Yerin felt obligated to do the same and did so. “Yerin-unnie, you don’t have to keep making stuff up for me to hang out with you. I like you for you, inability to handle rotational motion and scary movies and all.”

 

Yerin giggled at the last part but also couldn’t help but feel like that had been a confession. She bit her lip and met SinB’s eyes, but they weren’t staring back. Instead they were focused on her lips. Intrigued, Yerin her lips and watched as SinB gulped and redirected her gaze back to Yerin’s eyes.

 

“SinB-ah,” Yerin hummed. “I like you too.”

 

This earned Yerin a blossoming blush, but Yerin stopped SinB before she could pull away. This gave her a clear view of SinB’s face with its dark eyes and soft-looking lips.

 

“You’re so pretty.” Ah, well it looked like Yerin’s mouth had a mind of its own now, spilling all of her secrets. Now, the girls had matching, red faces as they struggled with what to do with the ever increasing tension between them. “SinB-ah…”

 

Intoxicated by SinB’s close proximity and the mood between them, Yerin found the courage to lean in to kiss SinB and was flooded with relief when SinB also leaned in. It felt like Yerin’s heart was going to beat right out of her chest in anticipation, and she her lips to try and quell her nerves. Just as their lips brushed, Big Bang’s Fantastic Baby started playing.

 

The girls jumped apart, and with the worst luck ever, Yerin startled so badly that she fell off the bed.

 

“Yerin-unnie!” SinB leaned over to check on her, but Yerin waved her off, ignoring the slight ache on her now. After she was sure Yerin was okay, SinB picked up her phone with an irritated, “Hello?” Her tone changed immediately when she realized who had called her. “Umji-yah, slow down! Yes, I’m here. I was just… I’m helping Yerin-unnie with her homework, remember? No, no. I can meet up with you. Unnie and I are basically finished. Yeah, okay. Bye.”

 

SinB looked down apologetically at Yerin, who understood the part of the conversation she heard and was pouting.

 

“Sorry, unnie. I wouldn’t go unless it was an emergency, and Umji-yah sounded pretty upset.”

 

Yerin reluctantly agreed and let SinB pull her up, leaving her mere centimeters from SinB’s face, and more importantly, her lips. Shaking her head, Yerin stepped away and walked SinB back to the front door.

 

“I’ll see you soon, unnie,” SinB assured her. After hesitating a moment, SinB leaned in and pressed a kiss to the corner of Yerin’s lips. She smiled shyly and said good-bye, running out the door before Yerin could react.

 

Laughing breathlessly, Yerin shut the door behind her. This girl was going to be the end of her.