Chapter 15

Cappuccinos & Crushes

It was almost closing time at the cafe, and Yerin passed the time until eight by watching SinB do her homework. She could admit it was a little creepy to just watch her girlfriend, but all she had to do was wipe down mugs and her girlfriend was much prettier to look at than mugs. Not to mention, SinB was just stunning when she didn’t realize anyone was watching. There was no guard up around her, no cool act to keep people away; she was relaxed and open.

 

“Do I want to know what you're thinking about right now?”

 

Yerin rolled her eyes at Joy’s words but still turned away from SinB. She tossed her dirty rag at Joy, but the other girl caught it easily.

 

“Guys, a little help?” Sejeong appeared from the storage room, precariously balancing who knows how many containers of coffee grounds on top of a box of sugar. Both went to help Sejeong, stacking the coffee under the counter, allowing her to place the box down without fear of spilling anything. After everything was put up, Sejeong paused and looked at Yerin funny. “Aren’t you supposed to be swooning over your girlfriend or something?”

 

Joy cracked up, high-fiving Sejeong for the joke.

 

“This is the thanks I get?” Yerin asked in mock betrayal.

 

“Do you think I could convince Chungha-yah to come here with SinB-ssi one day, so we can both just stare at our girlfriends?” Sejeong asked teasingly, unable to let up on her jokes.

 

“You can’t leave me by myself!” Joy protested.

 

Yerin took the chance for retribution. “Then invite your crush from your vocal lessons. We’ll make it a party.”

 

Joy scowled at her and tossed back the rag Yerin had thrown at her. This time it was Sejeong high-fiving Yerin for the sly remark.

 

“Am I interrupting something?”

 

All three girls jumped, not even noticing SinB walking up to the counter. The younger girl quirked an eyebrow at them, clearly amused by their antics. Yerin smiled back, toying with a strand of her hair as she asked,“What’s up?”

 

“It’s eight.”

 

The girls all glanced at the clock hanging behind the counter in surprise. SinB was right; it was eight. They’d been so busy helping Sejeong and playing around that the last twenty minutes flew by.

 

Thoroughly entertained by the girls’ cluelessness, SinB teased, “Should I wait, or should I just go?”

 

“Go with your girlfriend, Yerin-ssi,” Sejeong answered for Yerin. “Not all of us have girlfriends to walk us home! Might as well take advantage of it.”

 

“If you’d just ask Chunha-ssi,” Yerin tsked. Nonetheless, she took off her apron and thanked the girl. She said good-night to her and Joy before grabbing her coat and meeting SinB, who was waiting for her outside the cafe. She wordlessly held out her hand, and SinB took it warmly.

 

The couple walked in comfortable silence for a while until SinB drew Yerin’s attention by squeezing her hand. SinB looked really nervous, eyes wavering away from Yerin's face as she bit her lip.

 

“I have something to ask you,” SinB said. Yerin nodded to give her the go ahead. “Source is having this gala to raise money, and all the dancers have to go to schmooze and perform. We’re allowed to invite people, so I went ahead and invited all of the girls but… Will you be my date, Yerin-ah?”

 

“Of course, Eunbi-yah!” Yerin smiled. She tugged her girlfriend closer, letting go of her hand to loop her arm through SinB’s. She suddenly changed their direction, saying happily, “You should’ve said something sooner. We have to hurry now before the mall closes at ten.”

 

“The mall?” SinB repeated, eyes wide. “Why now? The gala isn’t until next weekend, Yerin-ah. That gives you a whole week to go shopping.”

 

“But you’ll be too busy with dance practice to come, won’t you?” Yerin guessed, knowing she was right when SinB puffed out her cheeks and looked away. “I want to go with you.”

 

“Don’t you want to go with all of the girls?” SinB tried a different angle. “They said they’d go after school one day this week. It’ll be fun. They’ll try on dresses with you and everything.”

 

“You really don’t like shopping, huh?” Yerin laughed, still walking them in the direction of the mall. SinB nodded fervently, but Yerin didn’t slow her pace. “Too bad. It’s your girlfriend duty to tell me what looks good on me.”

 

SinB rolled her eyes. “Everything looks good on you, Yerin-ah.”

 

“See,” Yerin smiled. “Just like that… Besides, don’t you want to come into the dressing room with me?”

 

“What?” SinB practically whimpered, cheeks pinking up at the mere thought. “I’m pretty sure that isn’t allowed.”

 

Yerin smirked and said low and teasing, “What’s wrong with two friends going in together?”

 

SinB couldn’t think of anything to counter that, so she stayed in sullen silence as Yerin pulled her into the mall. The couple went from store to store with Yerin hurriedly looking at the options before leaving when she couldn’t find what she wanted. She really should’ve waited to go with the girls, but she also couldn’t help but tease SinB a bit.

 

Yerin spotted a store and smirked. “Let’s go into this one, Eunbi-yah.”

 

“Yeah, whatever,” SinB mumbled, still annoyed at being dragged to the mall when she’d rather be anywhere. This indifference led her to not realizing where Yerin was taking her until it was too late. “Are you sure you need to come in here?” SinB squeaked, glancing at all of the lingerie on display.

 

“I need something to wear under the dress, don’t I?”

 

SinB flushed, trying really hard not to think about the mental image Yerin just put into her mind. “I don’t think I should be here for this though.”

 

“You’re my girlfriend, aren’t you?”

 

“Yerin-ah…”

 

“Just a quick look around and we’ll be done,” Yerin promised. “I'll go with the girls later this week to find something to wear. After this, I’ll get you ice cream then you can walk me home, okay?”

 

“Fine.”

 

Yerin took her time looking around, giggling inwardly as SinB steadily turned redder and redder. She could practically hear SinB’s heart stop when she picked up a lacy thong. She tossed it back though and resumed browsing for another ten minutes before taking mercy on SinB.

 

SinB relaxed as soon as they left the store, eagerly tugging Yerin in the direction of the ice cream shop. Once they got their dessert, they began their walk home. The night was clear and not cold enough to make them look weird, eating their ice cream. SinB was in a much better mood now that she had ice cream, especially relieved that Yerin’s tease about bringing her into a dressing room had been an empty threat.

 

SinB tossed her empty cup away, and Yerin had just finished off her cone when SinB giggled.

 

“What?” Yerin asked.

 

“You have ice cream on your face, Yerin-ah,” SinB said, still giggling.

 

Yerin playfully narrowed her eyes at SinB. “This sounds awfully familiar, Eunbi-yah. Are you gonna wipe it off with your thumb then it off as some kind of seduction?”

 

“I’m not planning anything! Also, I was totally just being nice and getting it off your face that last time,” SinB protested. “Let me get it for you.” Except SinB had definitely been planning something. She leaned in and kissed Yerin, delicately running her tongue over the ice cream that had been left on Yerin’s lower lip. She pulled away, job done, but Yerin quickly pulled her back. Yerin kissed her soundly, humming at the taste of the sweetness left from the ice cream on SinB’s lips.

 

They kissed each other for a moment longer before separating breathlessly and staring at each other with dark eyes. SinB broke the moment by letting out her dorky laugh, moving out of Yerin’s embrace. This wasn’t the time or place for that. She grabbed Yerin’s hand and resumed walking. The rest of the way home was spent with the girls shyly sneaking glances at each other, both lost in thought over their kisses.