Chapter 12

Cappuccinos & Crushes

“This tension is killing me!” SinB complained.

 

SinB wasn’t the only one the tension was killing. Yerin, Yuju, and Umji were also suffering from the cloud of tension that followed Sowon and Eunha wherever they went.

 

Sowon had taken Yerin and SinB’s advice about talking to Eunha about Sowon figuring out her feelings. Eunha had readily agreed to give Sowon time but had also told Sowon that she had feelings for her. This added ten times more pressure to Sowon, making her antsy to even think about her feelings.

 

This led to Sowon being incredibly jumpy around Eunha, not even being able to brush hands without becoming a stammering and blushing mess. At first, it’d been cute to see their oldest so flustered. Now? Nearly two weeks later? Everyone just wanted Sowon to make up her mind.

 

“What are we supposed to do?” Yuju said. “Lock them in a closet?”

 

SinB’s eyes lit up at the idea, but Yerin shut her down with a firm, “No.”

 

“Fine, no closets, but we can’t just let them dance around this for forever,” SinB countered. “Sowon-unnie is so stressed that she’ll avoid as long as she can, and since Eunha-unnie doesn’t want to push her, she won’t ask. That leaves it to us.”

 

“Someone needs to help Sowon-unnie with her feelings,” Umji said matter-of-factly. She turned to stare at SinB, who immediately shook her head. “No way am I helping that giraffe anymore,” SinB said.

 

“You were pretty good at the cafe though,” Yerin pointed out.

 

“I think you’re a good choice, SinB-ssi,” Yuju agreed. “No offense, but you haven’t known either of them as long as us.”

 

“None taken.”

 

“This means you aren’t too skewed by being super attached to either of them. You can see the situation more objectively.”

 

“Pfft, objectively? Eunbi line for the win, guys,” SinB laughed, but Yerin was surprised to see her rub at the back of her neck, a tell for when she was lying, uncomfortable, or both.

 

“Don’t act like you don’t like Sowon-unnie,” Umji said, smiling knowingly. “I know you help her with homework and even went to her about your feelings for Yerin-unnie.”

 

“Umji-yah!” SinB wailed. “I thought we agreed you wouldn't tell anyone about that!”

 

“You talked to Sowon-unnie about me?” Yerin couldn’t help but laugh.

 

“She’s one of your closest friends,” SinB pouted. “I talked to Umji-yah about it, but she was no help.”

 

Umji rolled her eyes. “I told you to just tell her how you feel.”

 

“She was no help,” SinB repeated like Umji hadn’t spoken. “Yuju-unnie and Eunha-unnie always have practice, but they’re kind of boring to watch. No offense, Yuju-unnie.”

 

“None taken.”

 

“Sowon-unnie’s volleyball practices were fun to watch, so I didn’t mind waiting for her to finish to talk,” SinB explained. “Plus, she’s a lot more helpful with the whole dating thing, since she dated that guy a few years ago. Not to mention, you guys are so close. It just helped, okay?”

 

Yerin smiled. Now she realized that night Sowon had come to the cafe and had said SinB should've been asking her for advice was an inside joke about SinB confiding in her. The fact that they were close made Yerin happy. She kissed SinB’s cheek and then pinched it playfully. “If that’s what helped us get to where we are now, you can talk about me to Sowon-unnie whenever you want.”

 

SinB scoffed and playfully shoved Yerin away. “Whatever. Let’s get back to the point. Sowon-unnie and Eunha-unnie need to get together already.”

 

“Wow, when you put it that way, you make it sound like that's easy,” Umji said.

 

“We have to set them up somehow,” Yuju said. “Like a date?”

 

SinB shook her head. “No way Sowon-unnie would agree to be alone with Eunha-unnie right now.”

 

“Then what if we don’t tell her it’s a date?” Yerin suggested. She was met with three identical looks of confusion. “There’s a fair in town this weekend. Why don’t we tell them we’ll all go together, but when we get there, we split up and leave them alone?”

 

“But Sowon-unnie hasn’t figured out her feelings yet,” Yuju pointed out.

 

“Then I’ll go talk to her right now,” Yerin decided. “She’s probably hiding in that unused classroom at the end of the second year hall, right?” Umji and Yuju nodded. “Okay, SinB and I will go talk to her, but can you guys talk to Eunha-yah and get her to come to the fair?”

 

“Aye aye, captain,” Yuju said, jokingly saluting Yerin. “Come on, Umji-yah. If we hurry, we can probably still catch that movie before you have to be home.” She grabbed Umji’s hand to pull her along, but Umji could only nod before looking at SinB with wide eyes and red cheeks.

 

“I see our talk didn’t help any,” SinB sighed as she watched them go.

 

“What talk?” Yerin asked.

 

“Remember that night we almost kissed, but then Umji-yah called me?” SinB prompted as she and Yerin started walking. As if Yerin could ever forget that night. “She was freaking out over her crush on Yuju-unnie because Yuju-unnie apparently mentioned finding some guy on the track team cute. It’s how I ended up telling her my crush on you. It was kind of pointless though because we already knew who the other liked. Anyways, I told her to try flirting with Yuju-unnie to see if there was any reciprocated interest. As you can see, Umji-yah has just gone with hopelessly mooning over her.”

 

“Poor Umji-yah,” Yerin sighed. “Can you blame her though? Yuju-yah is really friendly with everyone, so it’s hard to tell if she’s interested, and then she just assumes everyone is as friendly as her so unless you tell her how you feel, she’s pretty oblivious.”

 

“You sound like you’re speaking from experience,” SinB remarked curiously, raising an eyebrow.

 

Yerin blushed at getting caught. “I had a crush on her back in middle school, but like I said, she’s impossible to read when it comes to romance. Middle school me ended up just giving up.”

 

“Well, I, for one, am glad you did,” SinB declared haughtily, making Yerin laugh. “Oh, here’s that room you were talking about,” she said as they walked up to a door tucked away in the corner of the hallway. SinB poked her head in before walking in, calling, “Sowon-unnie!”

 

Yerin followed after her to see Sowon staring out the window solemnly. “Sowon-unnie…?”

 

“I like Eunha-yah,” Sowon stated.

 

SinB and Yerin both paused at the unexpected confession. SinB mumbled, “This was easier than I thought.”

 

“But I think I might be too late,” Sowon continued.

 

Wait, what? The girls walked over to Sowon to see what she was looking at. Out in the courtyard, Eunha was leaning against a tree, clearly being flirted with by Sana, a third year that Yerin recognized from art club. Oh no.


A/N: Fair warning, there won't be a lot of written out, cutesy Wonha and Yumji conversations. There will be moments, but nothing extenseive. This is because 1) the story is told from Yerin's point of view, so we only know as much as she does and 2) I'm still getting a feel for how these ships are since I'm not as familiar with them. I'm sorry if anyone's disappointed, but if you keep an eye out for the next story I'm writing, those ships will be much more prominent! Thanks again to everyone for reading and leaving comments! :)