Chapter 1

Cappuccinos & Crushes

“Can I get a small cappuccino?”

 

Still preoccupied with reading her physics textbook, Yerin nodded and replied absentmindedly, “3,000 won please.” She knew if her parents were around they would’ve scolded her for not paying attention to a customer, but she was more worried about her upcoming physics test. Besides, Yerin had been working at her parents’ cafe for almost two years, so she could multitask pretty damn well now.

 

Yerin glanced up to grab the cash held out to her but froze when her eyes fell on quite possibly the prettiest girl she’s ever seen. She looked to be about Yerin’s age. With dark hair falling a little past her shoulder and even darker eyes that seemed to twinkle, the girl was absolutely gorgeous.

 

Immediately slamming her textbook shut, surprising the customer, Yerin laughed awkwardly and said, “Sorry, I was just studying for my physics test.”

 

The girl smiled and shook her head. “Don’t worry about it. Physics can be a pain.”

 

“Oh, are you taking physics too?” Yerin asked, trying to pass off her question as mere small talk rather than sheer desperation to get to know the girl some more. If she also happened to take her sweet time getting the girl’s change, well, no one needed to know that.

 

The girl laughed and shook her head once more before explaining, “My brother is a few years older than me, and I just remember him complaining all the time when he was taking physics.”

 

“Ah no chance you could help me then?” Yerin tried to keep her tone joking but she was pretty sure she veered somewhat deep into the flirtatious end of the spectrum.

 

To her surprise, the girl smiled widely and said, “I learned a thing or two from my brother. I’ll be at a table if you find time to come by.” Without another word, the girl took the change Yerin had forgotten she had in her hand and walked away to wait for her coffee.

 

Yerin could do nothing but sigh dreamily as she watched long legs move further away from her. She kept her eyes on the stranger until the girl turned around to wait for her drink, causing Yerin to quickly duck her head back to her textbook with red cheeks. Yerin could’ve sworn she heard the girl laugh but kept her head resolutely down to avoid further embarrassment.

 

Although, Yerin thought as she traced the cover of her textbook, maybe she would take the girl up on her offer.

 

Yerin planned on talking to the girl after she got her drink and had been sitting for a few minutes, so she wouldn’t look to desperate. However someone was out to ruin her chances with the girl because not two minutes after she got her drink, Yerin was hit with an afternoon rush that lasted almost an hour and a half.

 

By the time Yerin had finished taking the last order from the longest line in the history of mankind, she was sure the other girl had left, but to her utter delight Yerin spotted her tucked away in a corner table, still sipping leisurely at her cappuccino and flipping through a book.

 

Signalling to the her co-worker Joy that she was going to take her break, Yerin escaped from behind the counter. She tried to slow her steps as she approached the table and as she did she took the chance to admire her a bit more. The other girl was about Yerin’s height and had a much different style than her. While Yerin typically wore skirts or dresses as she was now, this girl was wearing skinny jeans, a t-shirt, and an opened flannel.

 

As if sensing her stare, the girl looked up and smiled when she saw Yerin, making said girl’s heart flutter. “Hey, stranger,” she greeted. “I thought you might’ve gotten the hang of physics, since we last spoke.”

 

Yerin giggled and swiftly shook her head. “It’ll be a miracle if I’ve gotten the hang of physics by the time you finish helping me… I mean, if that offer is still a thing.” She laughed nervously and shifted her weight around when the girl didn’t answer immediately.

 

Finally the girl cracked a crooked smile and nodded, gesturing to the chair next to her, saying, “I can probably spare another hour, since you seem so troubled. Get your book and show me what you’re having trouble with?”

 

Yerin sagged in relief and nodded, rushing to grab her textbook from below the counter. When she returned, the girl had put away her book and was watching her with a certain intensity that made Yerin want to squirm. Yerin ignored the feeling though and sat down, flipping to the chapter over rotational motion. The girl leaned over curiously and scanned the page for a moment.

 

After the girl didn’t say anything for a while, Yerin spoke up nervously, asking, “So, can you help me?”

 

“You’re lucky,” the girl laughed.  “This is the one thing I know how to do.” With that, she scooted her chair closer and asked Yerin to get some paper and a pencil.

 

For the next hour (Yerin’s break was technically only supposed to be twenty minutes, but Joy was a goddess and covered for her since it was slow) Yerin let the girl guide her through rotational motion and all the steps to get the right answer. She was a good teacher, patient when Yerin didn’t understand things the first time and stern when she sensed Yerin was bullting. Sometimes, it was her fault Yerin didn’t know the answer though. She just got so close. She’d lean into Yerin’s space to watch her work out practice problems, and Yerin would swear she felt her warm breath tickling her ear. Not to mention, they didn’t spend the entire time on physics either. They talked a bit about themselves, like how the girl had just moved into the area and how Yerin’s parents owned the cafe. That was harmless though; it was when the girl giggled and said things a little too flirtatiously for Yerin to handle and that was definitely not conducive to doing physics.

 

“See, you aren’t as much of a lost cause as you thought,” the girl praised as Yerin answered her fifth problem correctly in a row. Suddenly, the girl’s smile grew coy, and she leaned forward to be dangerously close to Yerin’s face as she said, “You didn’t make that up to talk to me, did you?” Her voice was low and teasing, and Yerin could feel her face go up in flames.

 

Before Yerin could defend her innocence, one of her best friends Sowon burst into the cafe, calling, “Yerin-ah!” When Sowon spotted her, she waved enthusiastically and started walking over.

 

“I’ll take that as my cue to leave.”

 

Yerin whipped around to see the girl standing. “Wait,” Yerin said, standing as well, “that’s just my friend. Her height is deceiving– she’s actually harmless.”

 

The girl smiled and reassured her, “I’ve actually got to get home anyways. Good luck on your physics test.”

 

Yerin turned to watch her go before blurting out, “What’s your name?” It hadn’t actually occurred to her until just then that she’d spent all that time talking to the girl without knowing her name.

 

“SinB.”

 

“Yerin.”

 

The girl smiled again, wider this time. “See you around, Yerin-unnie.” She punctuated this statement with a wink that had Yerin reaching for the chair for support. The girl waved good-bye before slipping by an intrigued Sowon and out the door.

 

Sowon rushed to Yerin’s side, asking excitedly, “Who was that? Was she flirting with you?”

 

All Yerin could think to say was, “I don’t know.