Chapter Seventeen

The Summer that Never Ends

Writer’s Note: We are now entering the fluff portion of this fic. From this chapter to a few more, all you will see and read is fluff, fluff, and more fluff! I went back and added a lot of fluff to this part of the story after I read one of my all-time favorite book, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. The fluff in that story after Simon gets with Blue is what made that story one of my fav., and since I loved it SO freaking much, I was like, I need to have these two (Yunjae) acting like the little lovey-dovey doves that they are. I really hope y’all enjoy it, bc it is my favorite part and the most fun part to write.

Writer’s Note: Regarding my blog-post (if you haven’t read it, pls do), I just want to clarify that I am still a staunch shipper of Yunjae, and nothing will ever change that. I don’t think I can physically stop shipping them (Maybe a marriage and the birth of a child or an outright denial.) I just do not follow the Korean entertainment from now on.

Writer’s Note: As always, comments are appreciated. Thank you for the support, as always. I love you all! Lots of bo!

---------

“There’s so many ways that I can say it to you. I can sing and write it and pray it to you. Go to the highest mountain and scream it for you. It would not be enough to show how I adore you.”—Trace by Preston Harris

 

Jaejoong’s heart would not stop skittering.

 

He couldn’t sleep.

 

He kept on rolling on his bed, running over what happened a few hours ago over and over again: the warmth of Yunho’s skin, the moon reflecting off his hair and eyes and the softness of his warm breath and lips.

 

It had been the perfect first kiss. Everything he had thought it would be and more.

 

With each time he pictured Yunho leaning toward him, eyes welcoming and alive with want, supple skin a short distance from his fingertips, hot breath blowing against his lower face, heat spiked through him, making his toes curled.

 

He flipped on his mattress, his narrow bed rocking in his excitement.

 

A sigh of relief rocked through his body as he flung his arms away from his body, his right arm hanging off the bed. He did not have to suffer in silence alone anymore. He did not have to hide his feelings anymore. He could want him without feeling ashamed and scared. Yunho wanted him too. He wanted him as much as he wanted him.

 

Yunho wanted him.

 

The thought sent Jaejoong half rolling—the bed was too narrow for a full-on roll. His bed creaked and shook violently. He hoped it did not wake up his siblings. The walls were thin. But he couldn’t help himself. Not now.

 

 

He could not stop smiling into the darkness. Biting his bottom lip, he sighed. This could not be real. He closed his eyes and pictured Yunho leaning toward him again.

 

He wanted to quickly see Yunho and touch and kiss him.

 

Though they failed their first-time kissing, it was a new experience for both of them. However, he knew if they kept at it, kissing would get better. They would master the required skills, if their first kiss was any indicator.

 

Before they parted that night, Yunho had offered that they meet up at the train station and go to the festival together the next day. He had hurriedly agreed. He wanted to spend more time with him.

 

The park where the festivities would be taking place was on the opposite side of town, which meant Yunho would have to pass by his neighborhood anyways.

 

The YI general had whispered in his ear as he walked next to him that Juhli had issued the invitation. Jaejoong knew Yunho felt bad that he hadn’t been the one to ask him, but he hoped Yunho realized that before the confession they were still very uncomfortable with each other and weren’t talking much. They were fine now—beyond fine, in fact—which was all that matter, as Yunho had hurriedly put it after Jaejoong’s long pause.

 

Hyein had been the one to suggest that their groupmates enjoy the last of the festival together. While a lot of them had declined, given they already had plans, a few of them said yes.

 

He hated when they had to part, and he could see that he was not the only one.

 

Jaejoong couldn’t wait for tomorrow to come.

 

More heat. More fluttering.

 

He just wanted to be with Yunho. Everyday.

 

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/BwZkC5if_6k7jNzIo5totBBDfYrOO92OLRqwDaAoVaVoII73iqH3C7SGEs8l63ubco2bgakTrCydHltt4NjgP8Ikw_aVZAbAp6foWdKOGlNDiAmEwNKM04Oz74trBsuPtF2_qguK

 

Jaejoong had to take Moonbok with him. His mother dictated so.

 

He phoned Yunho in the interaction room while Moonbok whined in the background, trying to get their mother to not ‘treat him like a baby,’ he was ‘eleven,’ which meant he was halfway to ‘adulthood’ and he would be with his other friends. It was embarrassing that he had to have a chaperone.

 

The interaction room was the room in every household where the family would assemble to watch TV, play games, entertain guests, and simply interact, as its name suggested. It was to foster a sense of family and community.

 

“I won’t get into trouble. Mom. Mommy, please!”

 

Drinking her icy drink, the older woman replied, voice soft and calm—too flat. “You are eleven, Bokkie. I never said I did not trust you.”

 

“But, if you trust me—"

 

“I do, and you are still going with your brother.”

 

The boy was speechless, confused and knowing he had been defeated.

 

Moonbok had made plans to meet with his friends an hour before Jaejoong was supposed to meet up with Yunho and go to the park. Jaejoong had to call Yunho to change their plans. This was also an inconvenience for him.

 

“Jaejoong, hey, good morning.” The smile was evident in his voice.

 

Jaejoong’s heart did a few summersaults and his cheeks heat up. The events of last night rushed at him. And this was all over hearing Yunho’s voice; what would he do when he was face to face with the beautiful boy?

 

Mother Nature, he really, really liked Yunho.

 

Inhaling he replied, his voice cracking, the tip of the teen’s ears burned, “Morning.”

 

“Did you have a good night?”

 

Why was Yunho’s voice so deep, smooth, and doing things to his stomach. Something sizzled low in his abdomen.

 

Clearing his throat, he answered, “Yeah. You?”

 

Yunho hummed. Jaejoong felt his smile. “Can’t wait to see—go to the festival.” His words melted into the other. He let out a short, guilty laugh.

 

The things Yunho did. Jaejoong chortled.

 

“Me too.” He paused and quickly added, “Go to the festival. I am not eating anything in preparation.”

 

Yuho chuckled, it rumbled and Jaejoong liked it.

 

“Me too.”

 

“Older brother, could you please hurry up,” a sullen Moonbok asked. “I have to phone my friends.” His aggravation showed on his young face. He was beyond humiliated at being treated like a ‘child.’

 

“Ooh, right!” . Hearing Yunho’s voice melted his brain, draining him of his reason for the phone call. “I called to tell you that our plan has changed.”

 

“It has?”

 

“Yes. We cannot meet at the station.”

 

“Why?” Yunho quickly asked, the disappointment clear.

 

It made Jaejoong grin softly. It was nice to know that Yuno liked him as much as he liked him. It was really nice. It allowed him to finally breath. He was not the only one.

 

The singer quickly wiped his grin off, fearing Yunho would hear it on his voice. “I have to chap—” He stopped and looked up at Moonbok who had crossed his arm, sighing exasperatedly. He chuckled. “I have to help Moonbok out with something.”

 

“I can join you.” Yunho’s reply was swift. “Can I?”

 

Jaejoong cocked an eyebrow. “We’re leaving,” he looked up at the clock on the wall right above the phone-table, “in two and a half more hours.”

 

“I don’t mind.”

 

Jaejoong looked at Moonbok. “Yo, can my friend join us?”

 

The peeved tween shrugged. “I don’t care.” His tone was deadpan.

 

Jaejoong shrugged and twisted his lips to the side. “Alright.” Back to Yunho he said, “Sure. We’ll meet you at the station at four.”

 

“Alright.”

 

There was a short moment of silence Yunho broke, “I can’t w—See you,” he fumbled with his words again.

 

“Yeah, see you, too.”

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/BwZkC5if_6k7jNzIo5totBBDfYrOO92OLRqwDaAoVaVoII73iqH3C7SGEs8l63ubco2bgakTrCydHltt4NjgP8Ikw_aVZAbAp6foWdKOGlNDiAmEwNKM04Oz74trBsuPtF2_qguK

 

Yunho had just came from a quick run—which he needed to help him calm down—when his mother had told him Jaejoong, ‘the adorable singer’ as she called the male, was on the phone for him. He was all over the place. He felt like he would implode at any moment. He was a nervous ball with excitement.

 

And he had thought performing in front of brother Lee was nerve wracking.

 

Hearing Jaejoong voice had almost left him undone.

 

After a quick shower, which was filled with his loud, out of tune singing as he scrubbed the first layer off his skin away, he took his painstaking time to dress in his traditional full-set pale green Daia pullover garment that can be loose or tight, with an ornate V or squared shaped collar, and tailored embroidered neck and sleeve lines, paired with soft cotton trousers with the legs tightening at the ankles that usually were the same color as the top. Yunho’s top was loose with a V-neck and short sleeves, it hung a bit above the curve of his . The trousers were tight. He finished with flat, pebble gray shoes with the top slightly curved up.

 

Yunho used half of the bottle of hair jell to style his hair. Hair he would soon have to cut. Given he was not yet enrolled in the military, he was allowed to grow his hair out, but once he graduated he would have to sport the buzz cut. It would be an honor.

 

Pride of what his outfit signified and the excitement of seeing Jaejoong swirled inside him. The feeling was like a flickering fire in his chest. In his lower body. In his cheeks and lips.

 

Gripping the edge of his dresser, he smiled onto the floor. He was with Kim Jaejoong. The Kim Jaejong. This was real. This was not a dream. This was not his imagination.

 

Rubbing his hands together, he walked out of his room.

 

His mother stopped fixing the ancestral alter when he walked in, his cologne mixing in with the burning incense sticks. He brought his hands together, closed his eyes and chanted a quick prayer out of respect to his ancestors.

 

She lifted her perfectly dark, arched eyebrows. “Wow, Jung Yunho, you’ve put in work.” Her eyes were twinkling, as if telling him he knew his secret.

 

Scratching his sideburns, he rolled his large shoulders. “It’s the last day of the festival.”

 

“I see.” She hummed, perusing her only son. She lifted her dark brown eyes. “You’re not trying to impress anyone?”

 

Yes! Kim Jaejoong.

 

“Of course not!” He hoped he sounded scandalized enough.

 

His mother laughed, deep and joyful.

 

“Wow!” Lieah exclaimed, stopping in the doorway with a mug in her hand, hair up in a messy bun, dressed in an old shirt with black jeans with holes at the knees, all plastered with dry paint. She was painting. A hobby of hers. She was amazing.

 

“You’re not going to the festival?” Yunho asked, hoping that would distract her. It didn’t. She walked in, a suspicious smile on her luscious lips. “Jung Yunho, who are you trying to impress?”

 

He sighed. “No one. Can’t I dress up on a great day for our country?”

 

The young woman shook her head, lifting her mug to her lips and took a sip while her eyes ran over him as his mother did only a few moments ago.

 

“Stop. You are making me self-conscious.”

 

“What?” She chuckled. “You look good.”

 

“Thank you. I am leaving.” He gave his mother a quick kiss on the cheek, mumbled another quick prayer to the alter and tried to escape. But not before Lieah shouted after him, “Make sure to tell her she is beautiful!”

 

He did not reply, but he could not stop the smile.

 

He knew they were teasing him. They thought he was the most obedient citizen of this country and loved the state and the rules and laws too much to date. Plus, he had never shown any interest in the matters of the heart.

 

If only they knew.

 

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/BwZkC5if_6k7jNzIo5totBBDfYrOO92OLRqwDaAoVaVoII73iqH3C7SGEs8l63ubco2bgakTrCydHltt4NjgP8Ikw_aVZAbAp6foWdKOGlNDiAmEwNKM04Oz74trBsuPtF2_qguK

 

He wanted to tell Jaejoong he was beautiful—he did not know if he would appreciate it, though—when he met up with him, dressed in his rice-white Dai. The contrast between his dark hair, soft, pink tinged skin, large doe eyes, and cherry colored lips made his knees weak.

 

The kisses they shared the previous night attacked them both as their eyes met across the bustling station. Moonbok stood next to Jaejoong in an identical Dai in a surly silence as the two teenage males seized each other up.

 

Jaejoong’s cheeks reddened right as Yunho felt his own grew hot, too.

 

They greeted each other awkwardly, their eyes breaking away from the other.

 

“You’re wearing glasses,” Jaejoong mumbled looking away. It had been a while since he had seen Yunho with his owl-like glasses. He looked hot in it, Jaejoong would never tell him that. Not now, at least.

 

Yunho chuckled, raking his fingers through his hair, destroying something he had spent half an hour perfecting in his nervousness. “Yeah. I hate my contacts. I thought I switched it up. Plus, I thought my eyes could take a break…” He caught himself and pressed a smile forward, his eyes forming crescents.

 

Jaejoong thought his rambling cute.

 

Clearing his throat, Jaejoong threw a quick compliment at Yunho, saying he looked ‘dapper.’ All Yunho could managed in return was a thank you and a ‘you too.’ His whole brain short-circuited.

 

Jaejoong remembered to introduce him to his baby brother. Yunho marveled at how dissimilar they looked. He would have never guessed they were siblings. But as Jaejoong said about his family when they first began talking, he was pale, just like Jaejoong.

 

Yunho took an instant liking to the tween Kim with his lively eyes.

 

“Sorry for intruding.” He lifted his chin at a soured-face Moonbok, smiling at the boy.

 

Moonbok glared at him, blinked and shook his head, biting flatly, “You’re not.”

 

Jaejoong chuckled. “Excuse Bokkie. He is a bit crossed right now.”

 

“Wouldn’t you be, too, if you were me?” He sighed dramatically and shrugged. “I am trying my hardest to not die from embarrassment over being treated like a baby,” he mumbled in the same manner, lowering his tone as he gave his eyes a huge roll.

 

Yunho and Jaejoong shared an indistinguishable expression of suppressed mirth.

 

He looked at the two teens one at a time and asked, “Can we go now?”

 

“Yeah. Sure.” Jaejoong swallowed back his laugh. Yunho asked him with his eyes what was going on?

 

The station was busy, most of the people were dressed in traditional regalia. They had a ten-minute wait for the line they needed.

 

Walking next to each other, shoulders brushing, Jaejoong whispered, “Mom is forcing Moonbok to be supervised by me.”

 

“Not cool?” Yunho attached an uncertain question mark at the end.

 

“Not really. He plans to hang out with his friends.” Jaejoong tilted his head back slightly and looked up at Yunho, his smile bright and beautiful. “He doesn’t want them to know he has to be chaperoned.” The singer quickly looked away, eye contact too much for his heart and brain.

 

“Not cool.” Yunho managed to mutter, his brain frying.

 

Golly, I want to kiss him.

 

Yunho’s lower belly flickered to life with a wild fire when the tip of Jaejoong’s pink tongue peeked out and he the corner of his lips.

 

When could they kiss, Yunho wondered, missing most of what Jaejoong was saying. He even almost walked passed Jaejoong and his sibling in his distraction. Jaejoong had to grab his arm and yanked him into a stop.

 

“Yunho, we wait here.” He grinned at him, the corner of his beautiful almond shaped eyes crinkling. The athletic teen flushed.

 

Jaejoong jostled Yunho’s wrist, sending fire up his arm, raising goosepimples on his skin, before he released it.

 

“Right. Sorry about that.”

 

Jaejoong’s eyes twinkled. “It’s fine.”

 

He stepped next to him, leaning against the wall. Jaejoong smelled nice—like freshly squeezed citron. It must be a cologne.

 

Moonbok was sitting on the bench next to an overzealous group of teenagers, taking the last empty spot. From their bright outfits, they were, without a doubt, heading for the park, too.

 

“Hey, do you have to chaperone him?”

 

Moonbok’s ears perk up and he looked up over at them expectantly.

 

“Huh?”

 

“No. Just that, I can imagine what it feels like.”

 

Jaejoong beamed at him. He was smiling a lot. As if it was the side effect of being nervous. Yunho loved it, though, because he had a gorgeous smile.

 

 “What do you suggest?”

 

“We could set up a meeting place and get together before the firework show.” Yunho threw Moonbok a smile and quick glance. “He seems like a responsible kid.”

 

“I am!” He jumped, eyes alive. “Please, older brother!”

 

Laughing, Jaejoong said, “I was already thinking of doing that. I think that’s the best solution for both of us. I want to hang out with my friends, not baby you.”

 

“I do not need babying.” The bite and exasperation had left the boy’s voice.

 

“Right.” Jaejoong snickered.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me your plans?” Moonbok asked, frowning.

 

Jaejoong shrugged and reached over to ruffle the boy’s fluffy hair. “Your sullen express is adorable.”

 

Blood filled his cheeks. Though he was bristling, he was too happy to be angry at his brother. “Don’t treat me like a baby.” He stepped back. “And that’s cruel of you.”

 

Laughing, Jaejoong leaned into Yunho’s side. The full effect of his fragrance and the softness of his body pressing against him was him gasping audibly. The YI general hoped the loud murmuring of conversation hid his reaction.

 

Moonbok looked at Yunho with obvious appreciation on his face, it took Yunho back. He wondered if this is what it was like to have a younger sibling. It was a nice feeling. Moonbok was adorable.

 

“Thank you.” His young voice was earnest.

 

Heat swirled in Yunho’s chest. “Your brother already planned to do that.”

 

“Still, you’re a star. I like you as brother’s friend.”

 

“Aah.” That pleased him. Yunho looked at Jaejoong, they shared a tiny smile. “Thank you.”

 

“What about my ‘thank you’.”

 

He shook his head. “You teased me. You’re cruel.”

 

Jaejoong sniggered. “Insolent child.”

 

The boy retook his seat and squirmed around in elation.

 

Lowering his voice, Jaejoong said, “He’s a good kid; responsible, too.”

 

Lowering his voice too and his head, Yunho murmured, “I can tell. So, why this?”

 

“A friend. There was a fight.”

 

“Fist?”

 

Jaejoong nodded.

 

“Why not just make him cut him out?”

 

“Best friend.”

 

Yunho put two and two together. Moonbok probably was involved in that fight because he was a ‘best friend.’ It was an unwritten rule that you have your friends' back, especially a best friend.

 

As Yunho dragged his eyes away from the boy’s soft, round cheeks, his eyes met Jaejoong and they mirrored the other by smiling.

 

It was the most inappropriate place to have a moment, but they did—Yunho did. He got lost in the depth and silkiness of Jaejoong’s eyes. They were beautiful. He smelled so nice and was so close. He wanted to not hold back.

 

Jaejoong cleared his throat, pulling the tanned teen back to earth, pulled back and looked away. He had felt the danger.

 

Yunho felt guilty. His palm moistened.

 

“Friendships are important, after all.”

 

Jaejoong nodded his head stiffly. “Right.”

 

In the space between their bodies, Jaejoong reached for Yunho’s hand and intertwine the tip of their fingers. His whole being clamored.

 

“They create childhood.”

 

The train came too fast. Moonbok did not seem to think so. He sprinted into the vehicle, now talking a mile-a-minute. He had planned his day down to the bathroom breaks.

 

Jaejoong’s Dai’s top was tighter and shorter than Yunho’s, while his bottoms were equally as tight. Yunho’s eyes could not stray off Jaejoong’s bottom when he walked in front of him to get into the train. Yunho finally understood some of his male friend’s fascination with the .

 

Yunho have never loved the Dai as he did at that moment.

 

 

 

 

They got to spend an hour with each other before they had to meet up with the rest of their friends. They played a few games and grabbed food and drinks. Along the way, Jaejoong bought a fan. Bright red with a magnificent white crane on it. Yunho was the one using it—he would fan himself and Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong was quietly looking through a booth where small miscellaneous things were being sold.

 

Yunho slurped his ice-drink through the nauseating-yellow straw. His eyes traced the line of Jaejoong’s pale neck. His train of thoughts ventured towards how long and how much force he would need to implement to leave scars there. He wanted to—

 

Stop, Yunho!

 

The singer had a serious look on his face as he inspected a thick cut of wood with smooth edges with a beautifully drawn and painted daffodil in the middle.

 

Jaejoong stopped and straightened his lithe body.

 

“Yunho, you know the flower walk?”

 

He nodded. It was one of the most popular location in the large park. It was called so because the narrow, winding path was lined by thick walls of tall evergreen trees, such as pine, spruce, cedar, and fir with flowering vines woven through it all. To the front was the small, short flowering plants: perennials, bulbs, and ground covers. It was beautiful. It usually took fifteen minutes to stroll, which was what most people did.

 

It was a phenomenal sight in spring and held a somber, romantic feeling in autumn.

 

Yunho watched Jaejoong as he played with the fan, snapping it open as quickly as he closed it.

 

Jaejoong turned around to face him. “Want to—” Instead of continuing, the vocalist scowled and peered passed Yunho, making the tanned teen twisted the thick column of his neck around to see what had arrested his partner’s attention: Sungyeol and Myungsoo.

 

“They’re here early.”

 

Was that disappointment he heard in Jaejoong’s voice, Yunho wondered as the same feeling threaded through his strong muscular body.

 

Jaejoong teared his eyes away from the best friends that were mixed in the crowd of colorfully dressed people, packed like sardines and stared at Yunho questioningly. There was a slight pause that stretched on to infinity as they held each other’s gaze.

 

The question ‘should we get our friends' attention or ignore them and meet up with them at the agreed time?’ was written all over their visages.

 

They desperately wanted to spend more time together.

 

Time which had appeared endless only a few weeks ago was flying now and appeared finite.

 

Yunho was the one to make the first move. He inhaled, flipped his whole body around, and asked in a small voice, the disappointment louder and clearer now, Should we go up to them?”

 

“We do not have to.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Jaejoong pointed behind him, forcing his lips to fold into a congenial smile.

 

The best friends had seen them. Myungsoo’s eyes was glued on them and he was smiling in that subdue style of his. He waved when Yunho made eye contact with him.

 

!

 

 

 

 

The four teens went to go met up with the rest of the party near the koi pond, near the large temple.

 

Yunho did not expect there to be such a large group of people. He wondered if they could really move around the park together. It was a group of twenty or more.

 

He knew a lot of the faces. They were from the vocal department. Jaejoong’s friends.

 

A few of the singers were cluttered together; Juhli and Hyein were in the midst of their friends, talking and laughing. Changmin was standing next to Juhli with some space in between them, watching her intently as she shared something.

 

The girls went the extra mile to look good. They looked like a rose garden, their regalia lush red and green oftentimes paired with white.

 

Most of the girls wore Shikis.

 

A Shiki was a tight-fitting long silk tunic with a turtle-squared neck where a thin line of small button shaped like beads ran down to cross lightly above the wearer’s , with huge slits on the side, starting from the waist; commonly worn over different colored loose, slightly ballooning trousers with large creases and slim ankles. The tops ranged from plain to extremely decorative. The length of the tunic’s sleeves could be long or short. The occasion tended to dictate the design. Ceremonial Shiki trousers were heavy with many layers and styled to resemble a flaring skirt.

 

Hyein’s Shiki was a plain white top and ember trousers. She looked sylphlike with her long tresses plaited into long braids dotted with flowers that hung over her petite shoulders, reaching her tiny waist. Spring green buds hung from her tiny ears. Her face was done: eyeliner that flared where her upper lid drooped, making her eyes bigger and a richer brown; a light yellow-green eyeshadow with a hint of gold made specks of gold appear in her eyes; the looked finished with a hint of pink on her perfectly puckered lips—she had lips that never fully closed—and ruby cheeks. Hyein was one of the prettiest person both Yunho and Jaejoong had ever seen. And she was fully aware of her beauty.

 

Soojin, a fellow vocalist who lit up when she saw Myungsoo and Juhli, was the only girl that came closed to rivaling Hyein’s beauty in her Shiki: a red top of a shade so faint and weak it appeared rose. Yunho remembered her from the lunches she would occasionally joined, her brashness, and her closeness to Sungyeol.

 

Reportedly, the two knew each other because of how closely the two-department worked together every year—the annual school play being the main reason given they got closed the previous year.

 

Juhli’s Shiki, a crimson red top with white pearl like buttons crossing right on top of her right bosom paired with a white trouser, decorated with delicate white laces, resembled the extravagant ceremonial ones, except it was slimmer and lighter. It was the middle of summer, after all. She was smart enough to not suffocate for the sake of beauty. Her hair was down to the middle of her back, which Yunho had never seen before. It was usually up. It was soft and wavy, framing her face, hiding irregularities and bringing attention to her beautifully shaped eyes. Silver strings hanged from her tan ears, a deep red shaded her lips. Her make-up was done to perfection like Hyein.

 

This was Yunho’s second time seeing the two girls all done up, and his first time seeing them in normal makeup, not the thicker, heavier stage makeup.

 

They did not have much time to greet their other friends before Hyein ambushed Jaejoong when she saw him. She split the group apart and literally sprint toward the surprised vocalist, a large smile obscuring her dainty features.

 

“Jaejoong,” she squealed, arms open. She embraced him in a death grip. Jaejoong’s smile displayed his discomfort.

 

“Please don’t kill me,” he half joked.

 

Yunho felt his blood-levels spike and something buzzed in his ears. He did not know how to see Hyein’s behavior anymore.

 

It was probably friendship, Yunho decided. She had known Jaejoong far longer than he had. He had no right to intrude on their relationship. But it didn’t mean it couldn’t bother him. Which it did.

 

“Let him go,” Juhli laughed, walking up to them. She smiled at Yunho. He returned the smile. “Nice to see you here.”

 

“I said I would come.”

 

“I know.” Her cheeks darkened, and she looked on the ground before timidly looking back at him. The same nervous energy he had been sensing from her lately returned. She gripped the thin, long string of her tiny circular purse.

 

“You lo—"

 

Changmin who was behind the girls frowned and interjected Yunho from finishing his thought. “You invited Yunho?”

 

Juhli seemed startled. She peeled her eyes away from the SG president and casted it on Changmin, tilting her head back to be able to see the towering teen’s eyes. “Yes.”

 

A look of hurt scampered across Changmin’s clean features, but he did not say anything. Pressing his lips together he paused and lifted the corner of her lips. “I didn’t know we were inviting people.”

 

Yunho thought Juhli had invited them all.

 

Juhli shrugged. Standing next to a giant like Changmin, she appeared abnormally small and delicate. “I knew inviting him meant inviting you all.” She smiled openly at the quiet teen.

 

“Right,” he murmured darkly, looking away from her. “Nice Dai.” He grinned at Yunho, it did not reach his eyes.

 

Yunho felt awkward. He didn’t like the look in his friend’s eyes. “Thank you. You too. Who were you dressing up for?” he teased, reaching for Changmin’s neck.

 

“No one, but I could ask you the same question?” Something sincere slipped in Changmin’s voice.

 

“My ancestors.” Letting go of the male, he remembered the need to compliment the girls. Just as he opened his mouth to talk, Jaejoong peeled himself away from Hyein. A feeling of triumphant and relief trickled through Yunho.

 

Yunho breathed, magically appearing to be smiling at each of the girls at the same time. “You ladies look lovely.”

 

“Aaw, thank you,” Hyein stopped pouting long enough to say, sending her friend a pointed look. Juhli scowled at her before she quickly beamed at Yunho. Shrugging, Hyein reached for Jaejoong who cleanly evaded her by reaching for Juhli’s arm.

 

“You all truly do,” Jaejoong couldn’t resist adding.

 

“Thank you,” Juhli mumbled, heating up.

 

The other girls got their chance to voice their appreciation.

 

“You boys look good, too. The magic of a shower.” Hyein teased before she eyed Yunho and said, “Green is your color.”

 

“Thank you.” Yunho laughed, hating her scrutiny.

 

Pausing, Hyein saddled in next to Juhli. That girl always needed someone’s warmth. She was like a puppy. She looked at her friend. They shared another meaningful look. “The green really brings out the olive hue of your skin,” Hyein finished, the corner of her lips lifted, a mischievous glint in her large eyes. Juhli tried to subtly push her—it was anything but. Hyein overreacted as normal, falling into Jaejoong’s arms as she guffawed.

 

Yunho was always impressed with how loudly, how deeply, and how richly such a tiny person could laugh.

 

“Alright, who’s ready to have fun?” Changmin shouted, looking slightly peeved.

 

Hyein stopped and glared at him with a look of distaste. “Why are you screaming, dude? We’re right here next to you.”

 

Changmin’s smile was toothachingly sweet. “I know. I just think we should stop standing around and go do what we are here to do: honor our ancestors, eat good food, listen to Mole-Hill, and watch the beautiful fireworks.”

 

“Eww. Who wants to listen to Mole-Hill. I am skipping that part of the concert.”

 

Changmin looked genuinely hurt at Hyein’s blunt remark.

 

Yunho and the rest of his friend group winced. They knew how much he adored the band, especially the front-woman.

 

The summer season was when music acts made most of their money in Peyisivil due to the record numbers of festivals. The price went up for those acts when the five-year Fire Festival came around. The acts who were paid to play in the hosting department during the festival made a lot of money and were very popular, known and loved by the young and old alike.

 

“You did not.”

 

“I did. Your taste in music is poor.”

 

“The rest of Peyisivil do not think so.”

 

“They’re deaf like you.”

 

“Unpatriotic!”

 

The girl rolled her eyes.

 

“Hyein, stop,” Juhli said, reaching for the girl to shut her up or to make sure she did not get lost in the thickening crowd—Jaejoong didn’t know.

 

The look of determination on Changmin’s face told them he decided he had to change her mind.

 

Jaejoong and Yunho shared a look.

 

A great way to begin their evening together.

 

At first, they moved as one, though friends formed their own inner groups.

 

With Changmin trying to talk Hyein into changing her mind, Heejun, Jihun, and Mino trying to make him stop leading the group, Jaejoong and Yunho stayed back with Juhli, Myungsoo and Sungyeol.

 

It was not long before they began fracturing. Myungsoo and Sungyeol, looking dashing in their green and red Shiki, respectively, were the first one to weasel their way out with Soojin and her friends tagging after them, even though Sungyeol complained and tried to turn the girl down as many times as he could. All the complaints fell on deaf ears.

 

Yunho suddenly wished he could do the same thing as them, but he knew better. Hyein would not let Jaejoong out of her eagle like sight, Juhli would follow her, Changmin would follow after Juhli.

 

Before they knew it, the large group had splintered off into smaller groups and scattered with the promise to meetup for the last concert before the firework show.

 

 

 

 

 

Changmin finally gave up on changing Juhli’s mind. She was as stubborn as she was beautiful, which is to say a lot.

 

Mino dragged them into the photobooth, they broke into small groups of four at the beginning to be able to go in.

 

Yunho managed to secure a picture of just him and Jaejoong.

 

Changmin won Juhli a unicorn. Her favorite animal. He refused to let her live down the fact that her favorite animal was imaginary.

 

Hyein won Jaejoong a Chi-tzu plushie. It bothered Yunho.

 

Hyein’s refusal to let Jaejoong’s arm go and her need to hang of him like an extra limb was starting to aggravate Yunho, who had to repeatedly tell himself that they were just friends and that’s how the girl was. He still hated it.

 

After they tried all the games they wanted, they got into lines for rides.

 

Jaejoong couldn’t help but notice how close Mino and Changmin were to Juhli and Hyein. It felt as if over the summer, a slight unnoticeable wedge had been formed between the three and new group of friends has been formed. He did not know how to feel about that realization; it had always been the three of them, though they had other friends, but the core group had always been the three of them.

 

Jaejoong did not dwell too long on it because Yunho’s weight on his left shoulder was increasing and electricity was shooting through him at their closeness before Hyein, of course, grabbed his hand and pulled him after her to go on a ride with her.

 

 

 

 

With the group down to just Jaejoong, Yunho, Juhli, Hyein, Mino, and Changmin, they went to go buy icy-drinks and ice-cream for Juhli per her request on their way to the tilt-a-whirl. Changmin refused to let the girl get her own ice-cream and drink.

 

Hyein teased Changmin on why he was only paying for Juhli and not her stuff, too. Changmin said Juhli recognized the talent and magnificence of Mole-Hill and they went off again.

 

 Juhli rolled her eyes for good measure and took a sip of her drink before digging into her ice-cream while watching the two banter. Yunho agreed with her reaction. He simply sighed in the background. Jaejoong chuckled at his exasperation.

 

“They make me feel like a parent.”

 

Juhli overheard his quiet comment and joined Jaejoong in laughing.

 

After riding a few rides, with the sun setting they made their way through the large park to go meet up with Moonbok and his friends. They met up with Sungyeol and Myungsoo and a few of their friends on the way.

 

Moonbok was in a much happier state. His face was painted, arms filled with winnings from the games he had played. He stood with all four of his friends.

 

He was elated to see Hyein and Juhli. They girls crushed the boy into a tight hug. Yunho again realized how closed the girls were with Jaejoong. Jealousy stirred in his chest.

 

Moonbok basked in the display of female affection, showing off in front of his friends.

 

“Whoa!” Yunho exclaimed, after the tween was released. “So many prizes. Let me help you.”

 

Jaejoong and Juhli helped him carry the rest—Mino took Juhli’s, saying as a bloke he would take care of it. Rolling her exquisite eyes, she told him ‘they are plushies, for Mother Nature’s sake.’

 

Not only was Moonbok brighter, he was more talkative and Yunho finally got a two-way conversation going with the boy. He introduced Yunho to his friends, and the boys looked up at him with bright, naïve eyes.

 

“You must be a great shooter,” Yunho complimented, inspecting one of the plushie in his hold.

 

“I am decent.” Moonbok’s smiling face belying his calm, humble remark.

 

Juhli silently walked next to Yunho, slightly in between Moonbok who had his friends next to him.

 

With Moonbok relaxed and talking a mile a minute, as they made their way through the crush of bodies for the stage, Mole-Hill’s set was about to begin, he began telling Yunho about his future goals: he wanted to be part of his school YI, compete at nationals, and be the general of his infantry. His friends were also talking. The boys were talking all over each other in their excitement.

 

“So, you want to be like Yunho?” Juhli asked, a spring to her step.

 

“No way!” Moonbok and his friends exclaimed, their eyes growing wide.

 

“Brother didn’t tell me that you are a general!” He exclaimed, throwing the back of his occupied brother a quick glance.

 

Yunho silently nodded. The look the boys gave him made him feel much older and wiser than he was. He wondered how they will feel when they get to his age and remember how they felt at that exact moment. They’ll find it comical. He was not much older than them.

 

Moonbok appeared to admire Yunho who seemed to have achieved all the things he wanted.

 

While Yunho bonded with Moonbok, Hyein kept her insistent teasing of Changmin who was beside himself at being a few minutes away from seeing Mole-Hill. It was his third time seeing them live.

 

Her grip on poor Jaejoong, who she was helping to carry one of Moonbok’s rewards, was fierce.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone was on a high when they bid each other good night.

 

Getting off the train, Sungyeol and Myungsoo helping Jaejoong to carry his brother’s stuff, the boy waved at Yunho with a huge smile. They had gotten close.

 

Moonbok liked the attentive Yunho who shared a few things in common with him, their love for video games, movies, and the military; Yunho had promised to help him with his target shooting—at Juhli’s praise, he had learned of what a great shooter Yunho was and had insisted—and the card game he just could not seem to understand or get better at, Besike, when they both had time.

 

Walking home, Moonbok sung Yunho’s praise.

 

“What a great guy. How did you become friends with him?”

 

“I’ll ignore the intended insult.”

 

Moonbok snorted but still tried to act innocent. “What? There is no intended insult.”

 

“Right.” Jaejoong chortled, rolling his eyes. “I think he is great, too.”

 

Jaejoong was glad to see his brother’s excitement.

 

“He promised to help me with my target shooting.”

 

“Didn’t you want Hyein to help you?”

 

He shuddered. “She’s a monster. She’s so strict—too strict.”

 

Jaejoong attempted to suppress his giggles. He lost. “I won’t tell her you said that.”

 

Moonbok cheeky grin made his heart lurched. Jaejoong reached over and ruffled the tween’s soft hair. The boy did not refuse him, in fact he leaned into his touch. It was dark, and they were the only two in the street, having already parted with the best friends.

 

Jaejoong could not imagine being an only child.

 

“Yunho’s equally as good.”

 

“True. That’s nice of Yunho.” He made a mental note to thank Yunho for entertaining his brother and his friends. “Had fun?”

 

“Yep.” The tween paused and chewed his bottom lip as he looked on the ground before he looked up at his brother. “Thanks for today.”

 

“No problem. I am glad you enjoyed yourself.”

 

“I did.”