Chapter Ten

The Summer that Never Ends

Writer’s note: I usually put my WN’s at the end of my chapters, because I find that more aesthetically pleasing and less annoying (I am also a reader, as you guys know). However, I want you guys to know this before you go on and read these three chapters. Yes, I am updating three chapters at once. I am going to ramble a bit. So, please bear with me. If you guys did not know, I, for the life of me, cannot recall if I’ve posted this somewhere, but I have been doing this new thing were I edit my chapters four times (the minimal) before I publish them. This has been helping me be more satisfied with my updates and this story overall. Because when I edit, which you would know if you saw the original chapter and got to compare it to the final version that gets posted, I literally go on a reduction and deleting rampage. SO, I have written/rambled all of this just to say: due to my desires of wanting to post three chapters at once, since it has been so damn long, I ended up editing my chapters only TWICE!! So if you notice more errors than usual concerning grammar, flow, etc.., IGNORE IT. No, I am joking. But seriously, I am sorry if the quality is not up to ‘par.’

Writer’s note: After chapter thirteen and fourteen, things really get fun. We will be getting to my favorite part of this story, and it is all fluff, because I am really into fluff right now. Fluff is beautiful and everyone needs to read fluff and be happy.^^ I cannot contained my excitement. I cannot wait to share those chapters with you all. Hopefully you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.

Writer’s note: Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas. I did not plan to post these chapters today, but everything just kind of fell in place. Yay! This is my gift to you all. I sincerely hope that this update will put a smile on your face. In lieu of the recent tragedy, I know it is a bit difficult right now, given it is almost the end of the year and the seasons are the worse for some people, but I hope that I can bring a bit of light and happiness to your life through this story. Even if it is for a very short moment.  

Writer’s note: All I ask for from you guys in return, my gifts from you guys, are COMMENTS! I am a comment—, as all of you know already. I’ve never been shy about that fact. So, please bless this hoe for the Holidays. So, thanks guys, and please enjoy. Also, sorry for the long— WN’s. I am usually better than that, but I just had a lot to get off my chest. I’ve also broken the WN’s down like this cause I know reading a long block of writing is not the ‘funnest.’ As always, thank you for reading and for commenting, please enjoy!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“I'm the secret you won't be able to hide. I'm the habit you won't be able to forget. When I echo in your heart, why are you surprised. I am the the voice of your heart, afterall. If you can hear, then listen to your heartbeats. From now on, I only occupy your thoughts. I am in your questions and I am in your answers. I took place in each of your dreams. I am the fire in your eyes. Wherever you look, you see me.” —Main Yahaan Hoon (I am here), Veer-Zaara


 

“Can you believe my birth date is during this bloody thing?” Mino complained. The ‘bloody thing’ was the practice they all were tired of coming in for everyday. It was, however, mandated of them for the preparation of the Fire festival.

 

“I will not even get to celebrate it.”

 

“Your birth date?” Heejun posited.

 

“What else could it be, genius? What do you think I was talking about?”

 

“Mother nature. Calm your down. I was only asking,” Heejun snapped.

 

They all were testy that morning. They were all sleep deprived.

 

Yunho interjected, informing Mino with a soothing smile, He said, “Our half day break is coming up soon. You can celebrate then.”

 

The upset male rolled his eyes. “So what? My birth date is tomorrow, not Sunday afternoon.” He shoved summer fruits in his mouth and chewed furiously.

 

“Well, okay,” Yunho said, his smile taut as he looked away from his upset friend. His eyes met Jaejoong’s who was sitting diagonally from him, protecting his two girl friends lunches. The two had gone to buy juice from the canteen.

 

Sungyeol kicked Mino’s thigh.

 

“Ow! The ! That hurt!”

 

“How about you apologize for acting like a . Yunho was just suggesting you celebrate your birth date on our half free day.”

 

Mino rolled his eyes, rubbing where he was kicked and grumbled, “You did not even do it softly.”

 

“I was trying to hurt you.”

 

“Stop, Sungyeol.” Myungsoo yanked his irritated friend back.

 

“Whatever,” Mino mumbled.

 

“Hey.” Yunho smiled at his friends, trying to defuse the situation. “It’s cool.”

 

Mino did not look at him. Sungyeol was fuming. Heejun who was angry at Mino’s previous comment gave Sungyeol his support and approval.

 

Myungsoo asked in a booming voice, trying to make the feuding friends patch things up, “Anyone plan to do anything fun for the half day break?”

 

“It’s half a day, Myungsoo.” Changmin slowly uttered, tone carrying a hint of sarcasm.

 

The handsome teen shrugged. “So. We can still do a lot of things.”

 

“Myungsoo is right!” Yunho chirped.

 

Changmin simply rolled his eyes and silently shook his head.

 

“You know what. If you guys are not doing anything on that day, drop by my house. Poppi will make us tea. My mother will bake sweets in accompaniment.”

 

“The promise of food always frees up my schedule.” Jihun grinned, and winked. His friends could tell he was trying to come off as charming, but he was anything but. It was comical.

 

They laughed.

 

He blushed, but they all were suddenly in a much better mood.

 

“I will be there.” A few others shouted. Yunho smiled.

 

Looking at a sulking Mino, Yunho lifted his chin at him. “Come over too if you do not plan to celebrate your birth date that Sunday.”

 

“He'll be free.”

 

The boy sent Sungyeol a dark look.

 

He shrugged. Smirking he added, “Dude, you're the one who said you would not be celebrating.”

 

“Yeol, stop it,” Myungsoo hissed disapprovingly.

 

“Am Iying?”

 

“Nope,” Heejun sung, smile too wide.

 

Beaming at a scowling Mino, Yunho promised, ignore the two annoying teens, “It’ll be fun.”

 

“Count me in too, I guess. It isn’t like I will be doing anything.” As he said that he looked pointedly at a ecstatic Sungyeol and Heejun.

 

Mino’s demeanor did a sudden one eighty. He was radiating when he stated, “I need a whole day to celebrate the day I blessed the world.”

 

Yunho did not hide his smiling face nor suppressed his laughter.

 

Sungyeol rolled his eyes and scoffed. Heejun grinned at him and sneaked up a thumb. Mino caught it and hissed at them.

 

Myungsoo chuckled silently by his best friend.

 

“That’s good, but,” Yunho paused, a fine crease forming between his silkened eyebrows, “won’t your parents want to take you out?”

 

“I am having a small family get together on my birth date and reserving the party for after the festival. As I said, I need a whole day. I am completely free next Sunday.”

 

The first genuine smile grazed Mino’s young face. “I want all of you guys to come to my celebration.”

 

“I’ll be there.” Yunho smiled.

 

“Great.” Mino gave him two thumbs up.

 

“I’ll think about it,” Heejun jested. Sungyeol slapped him approvingly on the back. He glowed like the puppy was.

 

“Shut up, Heejun.” Jihun shook his head.

 

Shaking his head as the group of friends began bantering, Yunho switched his attention to Jaejoong and he inquired, “Jaejoong, you’ll be there, right?”

 

The boy was lifting a fork to his mouth. Lowering his arm the pretty male nodded. “How can I see no? This is literally my second invite.”

 

They both laughed.

 

“Cannot wait to try that tea you keep on raving about.” He grinned playfully at Yunho.

 

“I cannot wait for you to try the tea I’ve been ‘boasting’ about.”

 

Jaejoong smiled sweetly at him.

 

Yunho’s heart skipped with his belly heating up. He cleared his throat and looked away from Jaejoong’s positively exquisite eyes and lips which were too plush to belong to a man.

 

“But, seriously singer Kim, it is really good. Promised.”

 

Jaejoong rolled his eyes at the nickname. It had been so long since Yunho addressed him as such.

 

“And I am not denying that.”

 

“Good.” Yunho winked.

 

It was Jaejoong’s turn to have his body heat up. It stung.

 

It was at that moment that Hyein and Juhli appeared in the distance.

 

Hyein called out to them, taking her popsicle stick out of . Changmin called out to the girls and waved with both hands.  

 

“You’d think they bought something for him,” Sungyeol sniggered under his breath. Yunho pressed the back of his hand against his quivering lips, his black braided double wrap bracelet shaking.

 

Changmin kicked Sungyeol but maintained his smile and eye contact on the two trimmed figures that were getting closer.


 

“Sungyeol, your smart mouth is going to get you in trouble one day,” Myungsoo tsked, his eyes dripping with mirth.

 

“Ooh, really? But I have you as a friend. I expect you to fight my battles for me. That’s what friends do.”

 

Myungsoo laughed out loud, it was such a light boyish sound Jaejoong found his eyes stuck on the friends.

 

“I will save my hind if they catch you while I am with you. Telling you now.”

 

“You’re are so much more handsome when you are quiet, alright?”

 

The teen laughed.

 

Sungyeol shoved some of his lunch in Myungsoo’s mouth, making the teen cough as a response to almost choking. Sungyeol laughed at his handiwork

 

Myungsoo glared, which in turn made his mischievous friend laughed harder.


 

rwHy8OcLeVVh2Qq1c15NiaY9j-xAExHaZ4ksWqmOWJ_AvGSfFibYTZLcBmOl53IJnWadzaSgxKY4_nzovdtCQDcAZv3umnwQCLddg0QzsfN7Z0AC3fiA8RHPAt4ek2TJ43SkCNOF


 

Yunho’s practice was over, and when he went looking for Jaejoong he learnt that the chorale were still at it—he would have to wait for him.

 

When Changmin asked him if he would be walking home with his group of friends, he said he would wait for Jaejoong. The male gave him a look marred with confusion before shrugging and saying, “Suit yourself.” It was too late and they all were too tired to entertain Yunho by staying with him.

 

Yunho didn’t even know why he himself was staying. He was both tired and hungry, but he was now used to walking home with Jaejoong. He liked being with him. It made him happy.

 

Summer felt warm and a vibrant red whenever he was in Jaejoong's calming presence. He simply liked being with him and he couldn't succinctly explain why.

 

He had never felt this way about anyone before. Not even his childhood best friends. And he adored all of them.

 

Jaejoong, with his soft hair, dark brown eyes, enticing lips and bright smile was different.

 

The young male sneaked inside the darkened, silent school building and made his way to the chorale room.

 

He saw a tired Jaejoong from the large window that gave people in the hall a view into the room. They were still at it.

 

Smiling gently Yunho slid down and sat in the dark hall. With his back against the cooling brick wall and his legs crossed at the shin, he waited for Jaejoong.

 

Which each minute that ticked by and with his loud protest of his loud belly, he questioned why he was going this far for a friend he had just met?

 

Why did he like Jaejoong so much? He didn’t know. He had been asking that question a lot.

 

All Yunho knew was that he waited in excitement to see Jaejoong in the mornings and hated parting with him in the evenings. They just seemed to have so much fun together.

 

The singers startled on Yunho dazing off in the pitch black corridor.

 

Their short burst of screams and surprised gasps were reciprocated by an equally startled Yunho.

 

Juhli was overly dramatic, catching her chest, breathing wildly, as if she just finished running a morning drill.

 

The moment she finished over acting, she hooked her arm through Yunho's. She was elated to see him. So was Jaejoong.

 

They all laughed at what had just occurred. Juhli seemed especially pleased to see Yunho.

 

Jaejoong’s smile made it all worth it and his hunger and tiredness suddenly disappeared.

 

On the way home, with just the two of them after parting ways with Jaejoong's teammates and friends, they stared at the scintillating stars in silent. The silence did not feel heavy. The buzzing of the night creatures colored the background.

 

It was a beautiful, quiet night.

 

“Good job today.” Yunho finally spoke, voice rich and low.

 

“Thank you. You too.”

 

“You were really good. You’re an amazing singer.”

 

“I am glad you are living in this lifetime and are able to see me perform, then.”

 

Yunho laughed at his friend’s cocky statement.

 

“Me too.” Yunho played along.

 

Reaching for the singer’s shoulder, Yunho laid his arm there and pulled him closer.

 

“Come on, Yunho.” Jaejoong’s complaint was weak and he did not push gneeral off.

 

Yunho did not believe he was an overly touchy guy, but with Jaejoong he always wanted to steal his warmth and feel his soft skin. Jaejoong made him touchy.

 

Through the musk of perspiration wafting off Jaejoong, Yunho could smell citrus, which made him want to find the source of it and press his nose there forever. That shook him a bit. He had never have such bizarre inclinations before in his eighteen years. And, as a man, he should not feel such curiosity toward another male. That was unthinkable and unheard of.

 

Yunho offered to walk Jaejoong to the train station. Jaejoong turned him down but the other refused to take a no as an answer. Jaejoong figured fairly soon into their relationship that this was the kind of person Yunho was.

 

The suggestion really had not been an offer. It was more of what Yunho wanted and would do.

 

“Suit yourself,” Jaejoong groaned with a flourished eyeroll.

 

Yunho laughed. “I will.”

 

“Come in for some water.” Yunho suggested once they reached his home.

 

“I am good. And, I really do not need you to walk me. I am not a baby.”

 

“I know. And I want to. Come in.” Yunho dragged Jaejoong into his home against his will, his complaint falling on deaf ears. Once in, Yunho offered the awkward Jaejoong water before he left to discard his backpack.

 

Jaejoong felt extremely uncomfortable meeting Yunho’s family.

 

Jaejoong caught all of them by surprise, though each and everyone of them greeted him warmly.

 

Yunho’s sister was helping his mother set the table when the two boys walked in. The two women shook Jaejoong’s hand, with Sanah pulling him into a light hug. She smelled like a fresh spring.

 

Yunho’s father just had a shower, with a small mint green towel around his neck, hair dripping wet. He gripped his hand in a death grip, his smile blinding Jaejoong. The boy wished the man had just accepted his formal military bow.

 

The whole family was touchy, Jaejoong then realized.

 

Yunho’s mother smiled sweetly at him, remarking on how much Yunho liked and talked about him.

 

Jaejoong felt all tingly over her statement and beat himself for feeling that way.

 

“Want to stay for dinner?” Sanah asked in a sugary voice.

 

Jaejoong quickly shook his head and brightened up when Yunho appeared, behind him was his Poppi. It was Jaejoong’s first time meeting the man he had been curious about since Yunho said he would like him.

 

There really was nothing spectacular about the elderly man, Jaejoong noted. Stoic, quiet, and calm was the effect he gave.

 

Jaejoong gave a proper military bow as per custom. “Hello sir.”

 

“How was practice?” the elder asked.

 

“Good, sir.”

 

He nodded at the teen. With his cat rubbing its tail against his ankle, Poppi walked past Jaejoong. As he did, he patted the boy on the shoulder.

 

It felt warm and tender. Jaejoong ducked his head and smiled.

 

“Aah!” Sanah exclaimed, eyes twinkling.

 

“What?” Yunho deadpanned, drawing closer to where Jaejoong rigidly stood, anxious to leave. “I hope you guys were nice to him.”

 

“Of course we were!” Sanah scowled at her junior. Shaking her head she fixated her attention on Jaejoong. “I know who you remind me of. You are Kim Lieah’s junior.”

 

“That’s me,” he muttered.

 

The two girls were the same age, which meant they went to the same school. Jaejoong wondered if they had been friends at one time or another.

 

“Say hi to her for me. I haven’t seen in her in so long. How is she?”

 

Look like they were more than just grademates.

 

“I will. She is good,” he replied in polite language.

 

“I should get in contact with her again,” she muttered, grinning at Jaejoong.

 

He didn’t know what to say, so he simply smiled.

 

Yunho grabbed Jaejoong’s arm. “I am walking him to the train station. I’ll be back. Let’s go.”

 

“Be careful,” his mother shouted.

 

There really wasn’t anything for them to be careful of. Their country was the safest on Earth.

 

Nodding, Yunho waved her concern away.

 

Jaejoong bowed and said goodbye.

 

“Do not ever drag me into your house ever again. I almost died!” He shouted the moment they were out of the front yard.

 

“Why? They do not mind.”

 

“That doesn't matter!” Sighing, Jaejoong told him, “You really do not need to walk me.”

 

With his arms behind his head, Yunho nodded with a smile. “I know. I want to. The night is just too beautiful. I want to capture its beauty for a bit longer.”

 

Jaejoong looked up at the sky, too. “Summer nights are extraordinary.”

 

When Jaejoong arrived home, he told his sister who was sitting on the couch watching the news in her boxers and an old large sky blue T-shirt as she snacked on nuts and cut up vegetables, carrots and cucumbers, that Yunho’s sister sent her greetings.

 

An enigmatic smile coated her lips while she waved at her younger brother.

 

Jaejoong didn’t know before that evening that the two young women knew each other, but they seemed to be on good terms. That was good. Sanah gave the feeling that she was nice, calm and considerate. His sister needed someone like that in her life.

 

“Treat Yunho well,” Lieah said as he passed her.

 

“I will...I guess.” The singer blinked in confusion.

 

She chuckled at his confused expression.

 

rwHy8OcLeVVh2Qq1c15NiaY9j-xAExHaZ4ksWqmOWJ_AvGSfFibYTZLcBmOl53IJnWadzaSgxKY4_nzovdtCQDcAZv3umnwQCLddg0QzsfN7Z0AC3fiA8RHPAt4ek2TJ43SkCNOF

 

They assembled for the promised afternoon of tea over at Yunho’s.

 

Jaejoong had been excited, but nervous to spend time with Yunho’s family. He felt an urge to impress. He despised the feeling.

 

However, Jaejoong should not have worried.

 

The afternoon was great.

 

Yunho’s Poppi was the main reason that made the afternoon amazing.

 

The tea was as good as Yunho promised. It was more than sweetened water.

 

Sungyeol had provided the entertainment with his ‘tea incident.’

 

Poppi and Yunho poured steaming, scented tea in each of the teacup in front of the excited teens sitting around the long table in the side yard in the citrus grove. With each teacup the two filled they smiled at the recipient and told him or her to drink up. Sungyeol took that command to heart with pure glee. The moment the golden drink was in his ceramic cup, the eager teen poured milk and lots of sugar in, gave it a good stir, and took a mouthful. It was hot tea. Sungyeol had the tongue of a cat.

 

Myungsoo opened his mouth too late. Amusement and genuine concern skittered across his clean features.

 

Fortunately, they were sitting outside, which gave the hyper teen the leisure to twisted in his chair and simply parted his lips to let the hot liquid out.

 

His reaction was the most comical most of them had ever seen.

 

Myungsoo handed a red faced Sungyeol a napkin, which he took and dapped on his damp lips.

 

The laughter erupted.

 

Jaejoong, who liked to believe he was much kinder than to laugh at the poor male’s misfortune, doubled over with laughter.

 

Sungyeol’s best friend covered his mouth, guffawing, eyes misty. The teen glowered at him and Myungsoo reached over and massaged his back trying to push down some of Sungyeol’s embarrassment and anger at being laughed at.

 

Even Poppi chuckled as he asked the embarrassed teen if he was okay. “I forgot to say, the tea is hot. Please be careful kids.”

 

“You are fine, right?” Yunho asked, chuckling. Sungyeol nodded, glowing face still down.

 

“Don't worry, he has the tongue of a cat,” Myungsoo offered, paying attention to his cooling tea.

 

With two huge slap on the back, rilling Sungyeol up, Yunho moved on and finished his task.

 

Sungyeol reached for a pastry, his betraying tea forgotten, and whined to his best friend about his reaction while Myungsoo acted nonchalant eyes swimming with glee and delicately sipped his tea.

 

Jaejoong heard the quiet boy say to his childish friend, “Make sure you blow on your tea next time.”

 

Sungyeol bristled. “I am not a child, Myungsoo!”

 

Myungsoo singgered.

 

Jihun leaned over and jested, “Are you sure?” He arched a strong dark eyebrow and a sly grin formulated on his face. “Because you sure have the tongue of one.”

 

Sungyeol wanted to cuss at Jihun, but a quick look at a distracted Poppi, who was jailed in a conversation with a overly hyper Juhli who looked especially pretty that afternoon, killed the venomous words from materializing.

 

Changmin, Heejun and a few others joined Jihun in teasing Sungyeol who returned as good as they were giving.

 

Yunho winked at Jaejoong when he filled his tea—cup and asked, “Enjoying yourself?”

 

Lifting the corner of his lips he nodded.

 

Juhli called for Yunho's attention. Another wink at a Jaejoong who was chuckling over how ridiculous the general was being and Yunho whisked to the girl's side.

 

Hyein, who claimed a spot next to Jaejoong, was captured in an unwanted conversation with the guy next to her. Her obvious displeasure could be viewed in her tepid half grin and the languid impatient way she stur her small silver teaspoon.  

 

She had forced Juhli to make Yunho issue her an invitation, saying she was also a friend and refused to be the only one left out. She had remained glued to Jaejoong side the moment he walked in the Jungs’ front yard.

 

After drinking and eating to their heart content they dispersed.

 

Jaejoong, Hyein, and Poppi remained the only ones seated by the table and they listened to Poppi talked. That's when Jaejoong saw why Yunho said he would like the elder man.

 

Hyein stayed quiet for the most part, bored out of her mind, but she had to show respect. She soon got up, pushing her chair back before she scampered to where Juhli and Yunho was and sat down to play with the boys.

 

Jaejoong never realized how much he liked history until he heard the older man talk about the past and what it was like during his childhood and before then. A time when Peyisivil was different and nothing like their current paradise.

 

Jaejoong sat under the citrus tree across Poppi. He was silent, engrossed in the words leaving Poppi’s mouth.

 

The Great War ended when Poppi’s parents were in their early teens. There was great casualties. In the wake of the war, the nation was a state made up of children that had barely hit puberty. Most of the grown ups having died in combat.

 

In the blood of the older, smaller nations that came together to form the country, a new socialist government rose.

 

Children were taught in school that the Great War began because of the different nationalities and ethnic identities and the hatred the countries shared for each other. Due to the differing phenotypes, speaking different languages, and having different cultural practices, there was mass murder and nothing could ever be agreed on.

 

The founding fathers of Peyisivil came together to stop all of that. They believed in the core ideologies that they were all brothers and sisters, therefore all deserved access to the same quality of health care, education, and to be able to support themselves. No one deserved to be hungry while another had excess amount of food. And that was why their country worked and others did not: They were the same and united.

 

It was beautiful to hear about the perseverance their brothers and sisters. And it was not in vain. Look at their nation now? It was incomparable.

 

Jaejoong’s chest swelled with pride.

 

“Do you want to join the military?”

 

Jaejoong slowly shook his head. “Not really. I do not think...that route is for me.”

 

Poppi nodded, lowering his teacup on its saucer. “I would say your decision is for the best.”

 

Jaejoong felt a pang. Had he just been insulted?

 

The elder man kindly smiled at him. “You do not seem like one that can kill.”

 

He flinched at the thought. No, he wasn’t one that could kill. Even the thought made him want to puke

 

“No, not really.” He lowered his gaze to rest on the glass top and fixed his eyes on his folded hands which rested on his lap.

 

“That’s good. Only those that are prepared to die should kill.” As he muttered that, Jaejoong felt his chest tightened. He couldn’t help but look at where Yunho sat with his group of friends laughing wildly as they played cards.

 

Yunho wanted to join the military. Jaejoong didn’t want him to die. He also did not want Yunho to kill. Yunho was too good and too kind. The weight of taking a life —lives —would crush him.

 

Dropping his gaze again, the singer let the afternoon wind hit his face while the older man his cat.

 

And that had been the end.

 

Jaejoong soon excused himself and left to join his group of friends. They were playing a game of card. Yunho reached up and dragged Jaejoong to his side, the spot Juhli had vacated. She was bantering to the side with Changmin. Their large smiles dispelling any thoughts of anger.

 

rwHy8OcLeVVh2Qq1c15NiaY9j-xAExHaZ4ksWqmOWJ_AvGSfFibYTZLcBmOl53IJnWadzaSgxKY4_nzovdtCQDcAZv3umnwQCLddg0QzsfN7Z0AC3fiA8RHPAt4ek2TJ43SkCNOF

 

Coming from the bathroom, Jaejoong tiptoed into the corridor.

 

The Jung’s house was really nice and had a comfortable happy air to it. He could equate the feeling to the light decor, all soft shades of bright colors of yellow and blue and others.

 

Looking around once more, because even though he had been in the house before, this was Jaejoong’s first time being there in there in day time and being able to look around in ease.

 

“Jaejoong, hi.”

 

The preppy voice startled the male.

 

Jumping, he clutched his belly and tried to heave in discreet. “Yunho.”

 

Yunho stood before him with a platter of small chocolate muffins with thick chunks of melted chocolate sticking out. He regarded Jaejoong with a cheerful smile.

 

“Just came from the—” he pointed behind him as he quickly offered an explanation, “the bathroom.”

 

Yunho laughed. “Nice go?”

 

Jaejoong blinked, dropping his hands to his sides. “What?”

 

Yunho doubled over in laughter, gripping his belly, the platter shook dangerously. Smoothing his palm down his sideburn he straightened, the smile still in place, and said, “I was joking. You just seem so...uncomfortable.”

 

“It was nice.”

 

That made Yunho laugh again, rich and beautiful. It stole a small smile from Jaejoong’s lips.

 

“Chocolate muffin?” Yunho offered.

 

He debated for a split second if he wanted to accept the sweet treat, but Yunho was looking at him, face lit with happiness, eyes scrutinizing him.

 

Biting his soft bottom lip, Jaejoong found his hands reaching to grab a muffin. He couldn’t say no to Yunho, even when it was over something as little as accepting a muffin.

 

Yunho quickly reached for one and handed it to him, their fingers bumping. Fire zigzagged through Jaejoong’s arm. Biting his inner cheek he refused to react.

 

Yunho looked expectantly at him.

 

“Aah,” he hummed, realizing he wanted him to taste it and give a review. He took a small bite and swiped his red tongue on his bottom lip. Chocolatie.

 

Yunho’s eyes were glued to his lips. Jaejoong felt awkward.

 

“Good. It is...chocolate. I can taste the chocolate.”

 

Yunho blinked, as if he had been called back to reality.

 

The athletic male seemed to be on a laughing roll, because Jaejoong’s comment sent him tipping over the edge again. His whole face crumpled in the most hilarious and delicious way.

 

Jaejoong deservedly chuckled at him.

 

“You don’t like chocolate?” Yunho asked.

 

Jaejoong shifted his weight around.

 

“I do. It is just that this is my first time tasting a chocolate muffin that tastes like chocolate.”

 

The muffin tasted like melted chocolate, thick and sweet with a hint of bitterness. It was nice. He just did not favor sweets much.

 

Yunho reached for Jaejoong’s hand, holding eye contact he took a bite right where Jaejoong had taken his.

 

Jaejoong did not have the luxury of swallowing his gasp. His ears grew hot and red.

 

Yunho grinned at him, flicking the tip of his tongue out to the corner of his mouth. “It's okay. My dad made it.”

 

“I know. I said that. And, that’s nice.” The singer coughed, his chest burning hot.

 

“His specialty. He loves chocolate. Well, we have an affinity for chocolate in this household.”

 

That’s..great.”

 

What an interesting conversation they were having, Jaejoong thought, eyeing the muffin, wondering if he should nibble on in front of Yunho or when his eyes were not glue to him.

 

“I am guessing you do not favor sweets.”

 

Jaejoong's cheeks heat up. He wondered if Yunho concluded that based on his lukewarm reaction.

 

“This muffin is amazing, though. Truly!”

 

Holding his breath, he took another tiny bite close to where Yunho took his, but far enough to avoid being choked by embarrassment.

 

Yunho grinned. “It’s okay, Jaejoong. We all have things we like and do not like.”

 

“Right. I like sweets sometimes. It is just that sugar easily overwhelms me.”

 

“Cute.” Yunho beamed. Jaejoong’s heart lurched at his statement.

 

Why did Yunho keep on calling him cute?

 

Was that conscious? What did he mean?

 

“Shall we go?”

 

Jaejoong nodded.

 

Weighing the muffin on his palm, he fell in step next to Yunho. Their shoulders bumped, Yunho’s body fragrance slipped down on him. The beating of his heart increased.

 

Sanah dropped by with her boyfriend. They greeted the students and then left after she grabbed what she came back to get.

 

Her boyfriend was normal looking, not ugly but neither could he even be considered as being good looking. He was short, even shorter than Yunho’s sister, he was tan and muscular. He had kind, sincere eyes, and a sweet puppy like smile and demeanor. He seemed nice.

 

He appeared to be close with Jung’s. The way the male talked to Poppi and Yunho greeted him told Jaejoong they all liked and were comfortable with him.

 

Jaejoong wondered if his future partner’s family will like him as the Jung appeared to like Junho.

 

The thought that the young couple might not be on each other’s list did not appear in Jaejoong’s mind at all. They were too happy and good together.

 

Jaejoong wanted the love they shared. He wanted to look at someone as Sanah looked at Junho and be smiled at the way Junho smiled back at her.

 

His eyes made a beeline for Yunho who was also looking at him. Yunho's smile held a tenderness.

 

The tanned boy waved, breaking whatever trance Jaejoong had fallen in. Jaejoong’s cheeks colored and he quickly looked away after returning the wave with a nod.

 

It was as if Yunho had read his mind, and that scorched his belly and filled him with guilt.

 

He wanted Sanah’s and Junho’s normal love. And that was crime number one: wanting love.

rwHy8OcLeVVh2Qq1c15NiaY9j-xAExHaZ4ksWqmOWJ_AvGSfFibYTZLcBmOl53IJnWadzaSgxKY4_nzovdtCQDcAZv3umnwQCLddg0QzsfN7Z0AC3fiA8RHPAt4ek2TJ43SkCNOF

 

They left late into the evening. The sun had yet to set. They walked in a large group that slowly chipped down as people left one after another to go their separate way.

 

Yunho was part of that group.

 

He did not want the evening to end, and he walked to walk Jejoong to the train, so he lied and said he was seeing them off. No one picked up on his half lie.

 

Walking next to Jaejoong behind the few of his friends who had not parted ways yet, Yunho dropped his eyes on Jaejoong and asked, “Had fun?”

 

“Your Poppi is nice.” He nodded,and awkwardly carded his fingers through his silky tresses.

 

Jaejoong did not understand why he got as awkward and anxious as he did around Yunho sometimes. They were friends, and Yunho was comfortable with him. Jaejoong wanted to be like his merry friends, be more light hearted and careless. He hated how he would unexpectedly and unconsciously tremble at Yunho’s nearness, his fragrance, his touch, and his smiles.

 

Yunho was normal and didn’t react as he did, therefore, he should not.

 

“That’s good, because I think Poppi likes you.”

 

“Does he now?” He ignored catching Yunho’s eyes.

 

“Yep.”

 

The touchy male intentionally bumped his shoulder against Jaejoong’s.

 

“I can tell.” He added.

 

“That’s nice...I supposed. I like him too,” Jaejoong quickly added, fearing his previous sentence came across as insensitive.

 

After two seconds of silence Yunho stopped walking and said, seeking Jaejoong’s gaze and holding it, “Jaejoong, are you out of your comfort zone?”

 

He did notice his awkward behavior, Jaejoong thought, smiling.

 

“No. Why?”

 

Yunho shrugged, lifting the corners of his lips in a secretive grin. “I’ve realized that you are more of a ‘stay by myself kind of guy.’”

 

“Well, I do enjoy being alone, but I’ve been to other’s houses before. Especially my friends.”

 

Yunho chuckled.

 

Mother nature, the sound was beautiful.

 

“Good. Because I would be sad if I thought this afternoon had been too taxing for you.”

 

Jaejoong snickered. Yunho was seriously cute.

 

“No. It was nice.”

 

“You should come over to mine more often.”

 

“Sure.”

 

After the festival they’ll have more free time and this was a great way to hang out with Yunho more. Plus, he wanted to see what Yunho’s sleeping quarters looked like. Jaejoong felt as if his room would be clean and neat.

 

“Can I come over to yours, too?”

 

His heart did a few somersaults.

 

“Yeah.” He sound out of breath.

 

“Great!” Yunho glow.

 

Jaejoong bit his bottom lip and chuckled.

 

Yunho was too adorable, too charming. Irresistible, even.

 

He slipped to walk a bit in front of Yunho.

 

He was dangerous.