-14-

The Little Mermaid

Jiyong walked downstairs the next morning. Dara had an apron on and she was cooking. 

Jiyong narrowed his eyes. Something is wrong. Dara never cooks. 

"What are you doing?" Jiyong asked walking over to her and peeked over her shoulders. 

Surprisinglty the bacon wasn't on fire. 

"Making up for the past few days. I wasn't myself" Dara said and smiled at him. 

"Here go sit, let me finish" Jiyong said talking the pan from her. 

Dara sat down and poured two glasses of water. She looked at Jiyong. She carefully poured in powder. Once it hit water it began to dissolve. 

She stirred it quietly and looked up to see Jiyong's back still turned to her. 

Jiyong brought over two plates of bacon and egg. 

Dara watched him as he took a spit of the water.

"Jiyong-ah. I'm going home" she said. 

"What do you mean?" He asked setting down his fork. 

"I'm going home in three days" she answered.

"Oh" 

"Jiyong let's spend the next two days together okay. I'm leaving on the third day" 

"Alright.." Jiyong said. 

Why is she leaving so suddenly...

Dara smiled at him and finished her bacon. 

"So what do you want to do?" Jiyong asked washing the dishes. 

"Movies. I want to go to movies...I see couples do it all the time in dramas...I've never been there" Dara said. 

 

Dara happily munched her popcorn as Jiyong shielded his eyes from the screen. 

Out of all the movies, she chooses the scariest one. 

"Jiyong are you scared?" Dara whispered looking at him. 

"N-no" he fixed his posture. 

"Good- this is only the beginning of the movie"

Jiyong was the first to leave the theatre room when the movie ended. 

"Jiyong you're such a scaredy cat" Dara said scrunching her nose at him. 

"There were too many jump scares-plus I wasn't the only one" he said poking her nose. 

"Where to next princess?"

Dara beamed at the word princess. 

 

Dara entered the dark blue building in awe. 

Jiyong followed her from glass to glass as she pointed at all the tiny fishes and sea creatures. 

When Dara reached the dolphin booth, she stopped and placed her hand inside on the glass. 

Within minutes, a couple dolphins swam up to the glass. 

Jiyong stood next to her. 

"I don't like how they're trapped in here" she said softly. 

"Yea I know..I've actually been trying obtain owner ship of this aquarium" Jiyong said. 

"Why"

"I want to turn it into park." Jiyong said. 

Dara smiled.

"You will. I'm rooting for you" she said and smiled brightly at him.


After the aquarium, they went out to dinner.

"Dara...is someone picking you up..when you leave?"

"No"

"Oh...are you coming back?"

"I don't think so"

"Oh..can I come visit?"

"I don't think so"

Jiyong sighed.

"Let's not think about the bad stuff okay?" Dara said and smiled at him.

 

That night when Jiyong was asleep, she crept down to the pool and dove in. She went back to the tile and took out the box.

Jiyong heard Dara go downstairs so he followed her, however he didn't follow her inside the pool room. He hid near the kitchen counter and waited for her to come back out, and she did- with a box in hand.

What is that..?

Jiyong has never seen that box before, after Dara went back into her room, he went inside the pool room. He didn't see anything unsual, until something flashed in the water. Jiyong looked closer at what was shimmering in the pool floor

Another pink scale...?

He swam to it and picked it up.

---

"Hello Dara-ssi" 

Dara clutched her fist.

"So how are things coming along? I assume you're going to kill him right" Shin said on the phone.

"Yea. I'll do" Dara said.

"Good" Shin hung up.

 

The next morning, when Jiyong went to shower, she crept into his room to search for the key.

In the back of his closet, a small black and gold box caught her eye.

"Looking for something?" Jiyong asked walking in.

"Huh? Yea a shirt..." She grabbed the closest shirt and hugged it.

Jiyong smiled. "Get changed, lets go bike riding"

 

They rented a couple bike.

"Do you know how to ride?" Jiyong asked helping her get on.

"I've seen it in dramas..." Dara said eyeing the pedals.

"Alright just keep your feet on the pedal, I'll do the rest" he said getting on.

They biked through parks and along side rivers.

Dara took everything in. The smell, the view and most importantly Jiyong. He looked back to briefly to check up on her and he caught her staring at him.

His heart skipped a beat and he unconciously smiled.

That afternoon, they went grocery shopping.

"Lets buy a lot of soju" Dara said pulling him towards the alcohol section.

Jiyong nodded and grabbed two packs and placed them in the cart.

 

It was already late afternoon when they got home. While Jiyong prepared dinner, Dara snuck upstairs.

She opened the closet and the box was gone. She frowned.

Did he move it?

She walked around his room looking for the box. 

"Dara, dinners ready" Jiyong called from downstairs.

She sighed and went back down.


"What were you doing upstairs?" He asked setting down plates of food.

"I wanted to visit....my room..." She said hesitantly.

He chuckled.

She grabbed a case of soju and poured some on shot cups.

"Jiyong, lets be happy tonight" Dara said and took the shot.

He smiled sadly and drank with her.

 

First case finished and they moved on to the second case.

Jiyong was already tipsy...as for Dara she laughed along with him, pouring more and more.

She cleaned up the table and dragged Jiyong over to the couch.

"Daraaaaa...."

"Hm?" she turned to him.

"Don't leave..." he said laying down on her lap.

"I'm sorry, I have to..my family needs me.." she said combing her fingers through his hair.

"I don't want you to...I...I...I lo..." he trailed off and fell asleep.

She doubled checked to make sure he was really asleep.

She carefully placed a pillow under his head and crept upstairs back into his room.

She searched every corner of his room, however she couldn't find the box. She sighed and went back to her room.

She grabbed her bag and went downstairs where Jiyong was sleeping peacefully.

She went over and smiled at him.

"I love you Jiyong..goodbye Jiyong"  she said as tears fell from her eyes.

With that she left the house.

 

---

Bom felt Dara's presence and immediately sent out guards to retrieve her.

"Bommie!" 

Bom swam over to Dara, who was holding a golden box.

"Dara what is this?" Bom said taking the box.

"I think its omma's heart.. can you feel it?" Dara said placing Bom's hand on the lid.

"yea..I..I..." Bom choked on her words as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Bom..I made my decision....I cannot kill Jiyong..but he hasn't told me he loves me..and...I just.. I'm sorry. Bommie, I can not find the key..I think Jiyong still has it. Get it from him? Just don't hurt him.." Dara said.

"No."

"Bom.."

"No. I said no." Bom said biting back tears.

"I'm sorry, I love you" Dara said and swam off as fast as she can.

She could hear Bom's cry as she swam with all her might.

I'm so sorry...

 

-

Jiyong woke up with a pounding headache the next morning.

Dara was the first thing that came in mind.

He shot up called out her name.

He ran all over the house looking for her, but she was gone.

He walked back into his room and on his bed, was her shell purse and a an envelope.

He opened the envelope and inside was a letter.

   Jiyong,

            The past few months have been a blessing for me, thank you so much for showing me the wonderful things in life. I appreciate everything you have taught me. Jiyong I must go home now, and you'll probably never see me again. That ship wreck 7 years ago was a disaster for both families, but I need to do what I need to do. Please forget that I ever existed and move on. I'm sorry Jiyong-ah. I love you.

                                                                                                                                                                                                      -Dara

 

 

He bit back tears as he read this.

She really is gone..

He opened the shell purse and inside was her phone, a black necklace with a pearl pendant, and a shimmering champagne pink scale.

He picked up the scale.

This... this is Dara's...?

He opened his black velvet box and looked at the scale in there.

They were the same.

What.. what does this.. what does this mean...

---

A/N: Sorry for very late update- enjoy? I think its coming to an end soon T^T