-13-

The Little Mermaid

Dara didn't come down for breakfast. She stood on her balcony looking out to the ocean. 

How can I made him fall in love with me...that's...impossible.

She sighed. She still had to check for his tattoo. 

Dara heard the shower turn on. 

He must be taking a shower...if I can just sneak a peak... 

She walked out of her room and quietly tiptoed to the bathroom. She quietly opened the door and that's when she heard it. 

He was humming to a song. No, a tune. A melody. 

Dara recognized it immediately. It was the same song that she sang to wipe his memory of her. 

Jiyong...

Dara bit her lips to stop herself some making any sounds. 

She tiptoed out of the bathroom and went back to her room. 

"Jiyong can you come here" Dara called out when she heard Jiyong come out of the bathroom. 

He knocked before entering. She was looking out the balcony. 

"What's up" 

"You have the dragon tattoo don't you..." 

Jiyong didn't say anything. 

"I figured it out a while ago..." Dara said. 

"How?"

"I just did..don't worry about how" 

"So what are you going to do now? What kind of unfinished business do we have?" Jiyong asked looking at her. 

"I can't tell..but I won't hurt you.."Dara said. 

Jiyong felt relieved yet confused. 

"Why" 

"Because I can't okay..."

Jiyong was about to stay something when Dara's phone rang. 

She went over to answer it. 

"Hello miss Dara-ssi... we know what you are so if you don't want to get exposed and end up like your mother you best listen closely. This conversation stays a secret-unless you want your lovely friend Donghae to disappear forever. Your coming back to Seoul today aren't you? Call me back when you arrive and we shall meet" a male voice said and hung up.

Jiyong immediately Dara's face change from emotion to emotion. 

"Who was that" he asked worried. 

"No one." She answered. "When are we getting back to Seoul? Can we go now?" 

"Yea. I'll call and change our flights."

 

Once Dara and Jiyong left the airport at Seoul she excused herself and rushed to Donghae's house. 

"Donghae?!" She called out entering the house. 

Silence

This is not good..

She dialed the number that had called earlier. 

"Where did you take him?" Dara demanded when the other line picked up. 

"Don't worry mermaid. You'll get him back. Just give us what we want" 

"What...do you want?" 

"I hear you can make pearls?" 

"What about them?" 

"Your first mission, to get me a set amount- I'll text you the details."

"Done" 

"Second mission, I want Kwon JiYong dead" 

Dara couldn't answer.

"You can do that, can you" 

"I..."

"You're a monster. You're not human- so a monster killing a human- there's nothing weird here" 

"I...I'll think about it" 

"Better think fast or else.."

Dara heard Donghae's scream before the call ended. 

Tears formed in her eyes. 

He's in this because of me...

 

Jiyong paced back and forth in his room. Dara left his side once they landed and she still not back, it was already dark out.

He heard the door open and immediately rushed to it. 

Dara carried a tote bag, and her hair was still wet.

She didn't say anything and went straight to her room. 

"Dara did you eat? I made fish...your favorite fillet too.." Jiyong said outside her door. 

"No hungry" she answered. 

"Alright.." 

She's never not hungry. Something must have happened...

He retreated into his room and did some work. He checked up on Dara from time to time incase she did get hungry or lonely. 

Eventually he fell asleep at his desk. 

 

Jiyong woke up the next morning, and Dara was gone. He called and texted- but it went straight to voicemail. He checked Donghae's house- but they both weren't there. He began to panic. He raced to the company hoping Dara went there, but no. No one saw her.

He went back home and decided to wait.

 

Meanwhile...

 

Dara entered the abandoned hospital cautiously. Her phone rang.

"Come to the fifth floor, 2nd room to your left past the elevator"

She obeyed.

When she opened the door, she saw Donghae strapped on a medical bed. His eyes widened when he saw Dara.

"Hello Dara-ssi." A man stepped out of the shadow.

He was in his late 50's , suit and tie. He looked somewhat familiar to her.

"Who are you?" Dara asked.

"You can call me Mr Won" he answered. Another man stepped out next to him. Dara recognized him. It was the reporter that asked her about mermaids.

"Nice to see you again Dara-ssi" Reporter Shin smiled slyly.

Dara narrowed her eyes.

"I'm assuming you have the pearls?" Mr Won asked.

"Yes." she replied holding up the tote.

"And how is the second task coming along?" Mr Won asked.

"I..I'm still thinking.."

Tomorrow is going to be day number 3..

Dara closed her eyes.

"Thinking faster Dara-ssii, I'm giving you a time limit...I'll give you three days, see I'm nice...I could have given you only one day" Mr Won smiled nodding at one of his henchman to take the tote.

"Release Donghae" Dara demanded.

"Not until I have both my wishes granted" Mr Won replied.

"How do you know about my mother?" Dara asked.

"I was wondering when you'd ask that" Mr Won smiled. "Let me make this story short. Do you remember the storm a couple years back? Well I was there, and well your mother's heart was very beautiful..very valuable too. I know some great collectors who will pay big money for it" 

"You're the monster not me" Dara spat. However, Mr Won didn't know that Dara knew where the heart was. That was his weakness, and Dara acknowledged it.

"Dara-ssi, get going. Three day's time I want to see the headlines "Heir Kwon Ji Yong found dead: His uncle inherits YG Company" 

Uncle? This cannot be Jiyong's uncle..

"I'll come back for you Donghae, I promise" Dara said to Donghae, and left.

Dara ran from the hospital as fast as she can, she didn't want to go home either. She just walked and walked, oblivious to the time zooming past her.

I need to get omma's heart and place it somewhere safe..somewhere Won can't get it.

When she got home it was already dark.

She the lights. Jiyong was sitting on the couch.

"Where were you" he asked walking up to her.

"Out" she replied dryly. Jiyong stood in her path, blocking her from going upstairs.

Dara pushed past him.

He held onto her arm, and pulled her into a back hug.

"Please don't scare me like this, I honestly thought you disappeared..." Jiyong said softly.

"Jiyong, I need you to tell me something. I want the truth...the whole truth"

"Ask me anything"

"Who is your uncle?"

"Kwon Ki Won" he had a confused look on his face.

"So,if you were to die, who would be the next heir?"

"Dara why are you asking that?" he released his hold on her and stepped back.

"I said I wouldn't hurt you, just answer the question"

"My uncle, he's only blood relative I have..."

So Won is going to kill Jiyong to inherit the company..

"What happened...when you were 16?"

"I don't remember..." he answered walking over to the couch.

"Tell me anything you remember" she sat down next to him.

"The tune. And the water..I remember being out on a huge ship with my father and uncle..."

"Anything else..?"

"I remember waking up on the shore...and then I heard that tune.." Jiyong clutched his head as it began to throb.

Dara looked away. It was the spell, it would cause major headaches if humans try to recall the lost memories.The only way for the spell to be removed would be if the same mermaid who sang it- sings it in reverse.

Dara thought above revealing the whole truth to Jiyong- but she was afraid he'd label her as a monster, afterall mermaids were known to kill sailors.

"So,what did you remember seeing on the ship?"

"There was a storm- but I think something hit the ship because I don't remember anything else...I think I was knocked out.."

"Okay..you don't remember anything else...how about the people on the ship. Did they do anything...?" Dara asked cautiously.

"I don't think so...I...my dad told me to go into the safe room because a storm was approaching, but I didn't listen to him and followed him into a room and sat at the corner...I think...I don't know...a face? I can't remember..." Jiyong said in between breathes. The headache became worse.

Dara didn't want to see him in pain, so she stopped asking questions.

"Why do you care so much about all this?" Jiyong asked her as the headche subsided. 

"My family was related to the incident." Dara answered.

"Is that why you're afraid of the water? Were you on that ship too?"

Maybe she came to me..because she knew me from the ship..maybe we were even friends...I can't believe I thought she was out to kill me..

Jiyong smiled at the thought of that.

"Goodnight Jiyong-ah, its been a long day.." Dara said dodging the question and went up to her room.

She closed the door and took out the pearl.  She had thought long and hard about her plan.

It's going to work..it has to work..

___

A/N: very short update ^w^