-1-

The Little Mermaid

"Legend has it that if a mermaid falls in love, and their lover doesn't feel the same... she dies and turns into foam."

"Really omma?" 7 year old Dara looked at her mother with wide eyes "Yes...so be careful" she said and patted Dara's head.

"Neh" she giggled and swam to her sister.

"Unnie Unnie don't fall in love. Don't turn into foam" she said with worry.

"I won't Dara. YOU DON'T FALL IN LOVE TOO" 9 year old Bom said while swaying her tail.

 

10 years later..

 

"Omma where are you?" She cried out in the dark stormy sea. Mrs Park had taken Dara and Bom swimming on the surface since it was so nice, however who knew it was the calm before the storm.

"Guys, spread out and look for her" Bom commanded to the nearby guards.

"Yes" they cried in unison as they swam in every direction looking for their queen.

"Unnie is omma gonna be okay?" Dara cried fighting the waves to swim to her sister.

"I'm praying she is" Bom replied while looking around. 

"Unnie. What's that.." Dara said pointed to a large moving object heading towards their direction.

"SHIP!" A guard cried out and everyone ducked under... except Dara. She caught a glimpse of a familiar golden tail.

"OMMA!" she called out and swam towards the tail. She fought the rough waves and ducked under as she neared what seemed like a glass window. She peered inside carefully and saw the same golden tail.

"Omma.."

Inside, her mother was tangled in a net and had several men surrounding her. She didn't notice a boy with a dragon tattoo looking at her. The men seemed to be happy, however Queen Park was crying. Dara's heart sank to the bottom as she made eye contact with her mother.

"Leave" her mother mouthed cautiously.

Dara shook her head vigorously and let out a distress cry only merfolks could hear. Underwater, all the guards drew close to the ship. Dara dunked under.

"My orders, we shake this boat until everyone of them is drowned. They have my mother" she said.

The guards saluted and started to rock the ship from side to side.

"DARA don't ever do that again" Bom cried as she swam up to Dara embracing her in a tight hug.

"They have omma" Dara cried as tears fell from her eyes.

"Arraso we'll drown them all. Bad people" she said as the two swam up to the glass window.

However as they saw what had happened, it was too late. There was a hole where her mother's heart had been. A mermaid's heart is precioius, it is the only pure thing in the world, thus it will never die..even if it taken out of the body, hoewver a mermaid won't live for more than 10 minutes without their heart. With paled lips their mothered mouth...

"I love you Dara, Bom. Take care of the kingdom"

And with that, her body dissolved into foam.

"NOOOO.." Dara and Bom let out a cry... A cry so strong, it flipped the entire ship. Dara looked above and saw a flying machine carrying a few men and a golden box away from the rest of the sinking ship.

Die ...

...was the only word Dara could think as she waved her hand and her daggers shimmered before her. She went on a killing rampage along with Bom by her side. She was sure she was not to leave any survivors. Little did she know, the boy with the dragon tattoo was hit by the cry and sent him flying away from the ship and the killing zone.

"Dara.." Bom cried out to Dara as the killing ceased. Dara swam through the blood stained sea to reach her sister.

"Look" Bom showed her a single golden scale. Dara bit back her tears. Dara vowed to get back her mother's heart and kill the men who made off with her heart.

The boy with the dragon tattoo was knocked out after the blast and he managed to stay a float on a life saver.

24 hours after the attack...

"Princess Dara there is a floating human on a circle not too far from here" a guard reported to Dara that evening.

"Does Bom know about this?" She asked.

"No. You said not to report to her about the humans" the guard replied.

"Good" she said before swimming off in the direction the guard told her. No. Survivors. Within an hour she arrived. She looked at the human floating above with hatred. Her daggers materialized before her as she swam up to the surface. Die. However as she neared the surface, hand grabbed her tail.

"Dara don't" Bom's firm voice said. Dara swam to Bom.

"Why...he was part of the people who killed Omma." Dara protested.

"I know.. but if we want to find out what happened to omma, we need a starting point.. we need someone to guide us to them. The men that got away, we don't know them.. we don't know who they are. However this human can be the first step.. we can use him as a guide to omma's heart" Bom said as tears welled up in her eyes.

Dara thought for a moment and swam up to him.

"Alright unnie, lets do what you said. Use him" Dara said and examined the boy.

Dragon tattoo on the left side of his waist..interesting..

She took a long look at his face and she closed her eyes to save the picture of his face. She is going to remember that face.. she will find him in the future and approach him. She'll find her mothers heart, then kill him and the rest.

"Unnie, I'm going to get him to land" Dara said and started to push him towards the nearest land she could find.

Within a couple of hours, she arrived at a empty shore, thank god.

She layed him carefully on the sand and watched him, however he opened his eyes.

She gasped as their eyes made contact.

He can't know I was here... ottokae ottokaee...

Panic set in..

What if he has a secret weapon, what do I do....

"Who are you..?" He chocked out.

Dara continued to stare at him in horror. Then an idea popped into her mind, she has never used it, so she decided to give it a try. She opened and an alluring song came out. It was beautiful however...it is to be sang for emergencies. If merfolk were ever caught by humans, they sing this tune to escape. This tune cannot erase the memories completely...but it can alter the memories as if the merfolk weren't there at all.

After the song was done, the boy fell back asleep.

Thank god I remembered this..

Dara took one last look at the boy and dove back into the ocean.

5 more years...I'll give you 5 more years to live.

"Dara you were gone so long.. I was starting to get worried." Bom said when she saw Dara swim into the palace.

"Sorry.. he woke up, but it's okay. I altered his memory.. he won't remember me" Dara said as she and Bom swam into the throne room.

"We have so much to do..so much pearls to make.. it's getting quite tiring" Bom said as she nudged a shell on the throne, and the throne sank below the floor, revealing a secret passage way.

Merfolk royalty were the only ones that can make pearls, they make pearls and distribute it amongst the other merfolk. The reason why only royalty merfolk can create pearls is simple, power. If anyone else knew how to make pearl, then the value of pearls would decrease and the power would be unfair amongst the merfolks. Pearls are treasured and essential to merfolks. Sicknesses can only be cured only by pearls. 

Dara and Bom had to fulfill the repsonsiblities of being royalty and make a thousand per week for the merfolk.

 

4 years later..

 

Ever since the Queen died, Bom took charge, and when she turned 21 she claimed the throne as queen. The oldest had to step up and take duty as Queen. 

2 days before Dara's 21st birthday...

"Bom.. I've decided.. I'm going to look for him in 3 days" Dara said during dinner. Bom stared at her in confusion for a second until she realized what Dara ment.

"No" Bom said.

"Why..you said we could go look for omma's heart..we let him live.." Dara protested.

"Yes but Dara...It's too dangerous. Look what happened to omma when the humans got a hold of her. I can't have that happening to you." Bom said taking Dara's hand.

"No. I'm going. I don't care. Im turning 21 in 2 days.. I can get legs when I turn 21." Dara said crossing her arms.

"Dara..you know the consequences of getting legs. That means they can't touch water at all. Its going to be painful too. Dara...most important of all.. your heart. You cannot give it to anyone else. Remember what omma said." Bom warned.

"What do you mean..I know the consequences.. what do you about the heart one.." Dara asked, eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"Remember when we were younger, omma told us not to fall in love.. we can die if the one we love doesn't love back. It's called a heart break in the human world." Bom said.

"..It's fine. I'm only going up there to kill the stupid humans, not to fall in love Bommie" Dara reassured her.

"...You must come back and visit as often as you can then.." Bom said in a defeated tone.

"YES! I'll bring back omma's heart.." Dara said.

The 2 days passed quickly and as soon as Dara turned 21, she felt a surge of energy vibrate throughout her.

Human expressions, words and body parts are now a part of her.

The following day..

Bom and Dara swam up to the surface to a nearby abandoned shore. They both looked at the sand and gave each other a quick hug. Dara swam up to the sand and layed there for a few minutes waiting for her tail to dry up. 

She looked down and she no longer saw her champagne pink colored tail. They were replaced by legs.

Wow..

"Dara.. catch!" Bom shouted from the water, as she threw a seashell bag at her.

Dara caught it and inside were clothes and a pouch of pearls.

She held up a white dress and looked at it.

How do I wear this..

She continued to look at it puzzled and decided to try. 

She place the dress on the sand and stood on it and pulled it upwards. She slid her new legs into the sleeves, however.. it didn't seem to cover the top of her body.

"Dara try putting it over your head, I saw a human magazine once and the girl had the sleeves on her arm" Bom instructed.

She did as she was told and it seemed to fit a lil bit better.

"Whaaa...so pretty. Try walking. You have to get use to it" Bom said.

Dara took a step.

And fell.

This was going to take some time to get use to. Bom offered more encourage words before sending Dara off. She still had to return to her queen duties.

Dara got a bit use to walking, and started walking towards the tall buildings.

I'm going to find you, Mr Dragon Tattoo..

 

-----------------

A/N : HONESTLY - i have no idea where im going with this...I kinda have a story map planned out but SO MANY HOLESSS. 

The pink is Dara's thought when it is not in Her POV~~ same with other Characters... ILL HAVE A COLOR CODE THING WHEN OTHER CHARACTERS ARE INTRODUCED :D

Hope you enjoyed though ;-;