Let's face the storm together (ii)

Seulrene: Once you know my name, there’s no turning back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Flashback

 

4 years ago..

 

The Professor scolded me again.. For being late. How should I say this.. It’s like my every morning class routine.. Well, is it my fault that my bed is very comfortable? I rather have sleep for the whole day than to listen to their boring lectures. But.. I need to study. Forcing myself to wake up early not so early and go to school. My parents always say they work hard to send me to school so I shouldn’t waste their efforts. Many kids these days are not studying because their parents can’t afford it. They’re right. I’m lucky. I should be thankful for them.

 

Do you believe in love at first sight? How about hate at first sight? For me it’s hate. Hate is what I see in her eyes while she is looking at me as I was heading in my seat. As far as I know, I didn’t approach her yet. What did I do wrong? Is there something ty written on my face for her to be glaring at me like that? Such a waste, she’s very beautiful though. She’s like an angel who went down from heaven to complete a task she’s assigned to. Just without halo on top of her head and wings on her back. Her thick eyebrows, her enticing rounded eyes, her cute pointed nose, her rosy cheeks, and those small pink luscious lips.. Okay stop it. I admit it. I’m attracted to her already.

 

“Hey lazy .” Wendy whispered at my back. Her seat is in behind me. She is my best friend since middle school and we’re lucky to be classmates again this high school.

 

 “Hey early bird.” I retorted back.

 

“I called you like hundred times already and you’re not picking up. What do you want next I barge in to your house and wake you up? The hell I do that.”

 

“Even if you barge in to my house, you can’t wake me up easily. I’m not a bear for nothing.” I chuckled.

 

“Aren’t you tired getting scolded?”

 

“You mean aren’t they tired getting me scolded?” I laughed.

 

I didn’t notice my laugh turns loud and the Professor, who is discussing his lecture on the board, turns his head towards me. With his furrowed brows, he throws the chalk his holding to me but I manage to dodge. In result, it’s Wendy the one had been hit.

 

I laughed louder. This time, it echoed to the room.

 

“KANG, SEULGI OUT!”

 

So much for the start of the day.

 

Several weeks passed..

 

I found myself to be staring at her. The way she listens in class, taking down notes, sometimes rubbing her eyes or covering with her hand when she’s yawning, or when she’s having a conversation with Joy and Yeri, the other two classmates which I assume her close friends now since their always together. She’s cute when she smiles. Her voice is like music to my ears when she laughs. Her long black hair that cascading perfectly on her shoulders. Her milkish porcelain white skin. God, why is she like that?

 

“You like her?”

 

It’s our twenty minutes break on dance and I’m doing my daily habit. Staring at her.

 

I snapped out of my reverie.

 

“W-who?” I stuttered and averted my eyes from her to Wendy.

 

Wendy pointed her using her index finger.

 

“Her. Irene Bae, the Class President.”

 

“Stop it. She might see you!” I swatted her arms down.

 

Wendy chuckled.

 

“So you like her?”

 

“N-no I don’t.”

 

“Stop denying Seulgi. I caught you staring at her.” Wendy smirked.

 

I sighed.

 

“Okay I admit it. I like her.” I confessed and stare at her again.

 

“She’s sitting alone, go talk to her!” Wendy then pushed me towards her.

 

“What should I say?!”

 

“Anything! Just go!” Wendy said and shooed me.

 

I was contemplating if I should approach her or not. I looked back and Wendy mouths me “You can do it”. What a very supportive best friend.

 

“Hi. Mind if I sit next to you?” Nice one Seulgi, you didn’t stutter. Good job.

 

“Sure please help yourself.” She said and I sit next to her on the floor. I was thinking what should I say next but she beats me.

 

“Uhm.. Can I ask you?”

 

I don’t know why but I find it very amusing. I snickered.

 

“You’re already asking.”

 

“Ha-ha-ha very funny.” She then rolled her eyes to me.

 

“But seriously, can I?”

 

I’m curious on what her question too, so I agreed.

 

“Go ahead.”

 

“Why are you always late?”

 

I smiled and stands up. Should I say because I’m so lazy as ? That’s a no no. I clean the dust on my pants. Maybe my knowledge on Physics will help me to make an impression to my crush. Duh, I might be lazy and always late to class but I’m a genius you know.

 

“Because of the standard acceleration due to gravity at the Earth’s surface with a value of 9.806650 m/s2.“ I left her there and walked towards Wendy.

 

“How was it?” She giddily asked.

 

“I slay it.” I grinned.

 

“That’s my girl. Come on treat me to canteen now.” Wendy put her arms around my shoulders.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Because I made you and your crush to have a step closer.”

 

I’m the one who do the work but whatever, let it be. I’m too happy to bother.

 

“Fine.”

 

Days passed and I received a message from an unknown number. I read the text and it’s from the Class President. It’s about what we need to do on our subject in History. I remembered I gave my number when she is asking for student information. I save her number to my contacts. I smiled. Now it’s time to smooth talk.

 

To Irene:

Hi.

 

A minute passed..

 

No reply.

 

Maybe she didn’t read the message yet.

 

Ten minutes passed..

 

No reply.

 

Maybe she’s busy?

 

Thirty minutes passed..

 

No reply.

 

Maybe she’s really busy?

 

An hour passed..

 

No reply.

 

Maybe she’s really really busy?

 

Two hours passed..

 

Still no reply.

 

I glanced at the bed clock and it’s 11:55pm. Maybe she fell asleep and didn’t see my text. Gotta try my luck tomorrow.

 

Tomorrow..

 

6:00 am. I’m not usually awake at this early in the morning but.. Okay I didn’t sleep last night as I was thinking about my text to her. Maybe she had read my text but didn’t want to reply. Just thinking of it, making my heart breaks. Or does she really fell asleep? I’m so paranoid.

 

So I want to test it now. It’s impossible to not have a reply because our class is 7am today. She needs to prepare to school. And me too. Unless she doesn’t want to message me right? I need to know.

 

To Irene:

Good morning.

 

Five minutes passed..                        

 

1 incoming message..

 

From Irene:

Good morning too. I’m sorry about last night, I fell asleep.

 

I was grinning when I read her text. I still can’t believe she replied and I read it like twenty times or so. I bit my lower lip.

 

To Irene:

It’s okay. See you later.

 

I closed my flip phone and rushed to the bathroom. I’ve never been so excited to see someone in my entire life.

 

Since that day, she always replies to me. Even if my text is like the whole story about what happened in World War I and II, her replies is simple words like Yes, Okay, No. I’m lucky if she replies one or two sentences. Whatever her reply is, as long as it’s from her, even a reply K is enough for making my heart thumps out of my chest.

 

Months passed, one week left for our final exams in Physics. It’s weekend and I was studying at home when my phone rang. I flip my phone open and it’s from Wendy. I answered the call.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Did you buy a gift for her?”

 

“Gift? What are you talking about?”

 

“Irene’s birthday is on the 29th of March.”

 

“How did you know that? Every time I asked her about it, she always refused to say.”

 

“I accidentally heard it from Joy and Yeri yesterday in class as I was passing by from their seats. About buying gifts earlier because Irene’s birthday is on the same day as our final exam. And when is our final exam? It’s the 29th of March. You’re not the only one who got brains Seulgi.” Wendy chuckled.

 

Sometimes Wendy enlightens me.

 

“Meet me at the mall, 3pm. Help me buy a gift for her.”

 

“Why—“

 

“I’ll treat you dinner.”

 

And that’s the magic words for friends to accompany you.

 

At the mall..

 

“What should I give to her Wan-ah?” I said as I was eyeing the gift shop.

 

She popped out of nowhere and present to me a purple teddy bear.

 

“Teddy bear? Seriously?”

 

“Girls like teddy bears Seul. Even I like teddy bears.”

 

“That is not for you Wan-ah.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Why purple though?” I snatch the stuff toy Wendy was holding.

 

“It’s her favorite color. Her ball pen is purple, her bag is purple, her handkerchief is purple, even her phone case is purple. It’s obvious.” Wendy laughed.

 

“You’re right. And because of that I’m gonna treat you some ice cream too. Let’s go and pay for this.”

 

And Wendy was skipping cheerfully on our way to the cashier.

 

3 years ago..

 

I used to be a sleeping log in the morning but now, not anymore. I manage to wake up before 6 am in the morning. I’m never late like before. The Professors are shocked because of my sudden change even my classmates. Every day Wendy is asking me if I’m sick. I answer her I’m just in love and I get teasing to her every time.

 

I decided to wait for her at the school’s entrance. Not ten minutes passed and I saw her approaching to me.

 

“Woah you’re early again?” She giggled.

 

“Yeah.” I smiled.

 

“What are you doing here? Waiting for someone? That person must be lucky then.” She teased.

 

“Yes you’re lucky.” I said and take her hands to mine.

 

A blush spread across her cheeks.

 

“Did you already eat breakfast?”

 

“N-no.”

 

“Great. I also didn’t have any.”

 

I glanced at my wristwatch.

 

“We still have half an hour before class. Let’s eat?”

 

“Okay.”

 

We made our way to the cafeteria with her hand holding to mine.

 

Lunch..

 

The bell rang signaling the end of the class. Everyone was leaving the room to have lunch. I was putting my belongings on my bag when Wendy tap my shoulders. I turned my head to her.

 

“What?”

 

“Ask Irene Bae to lunch.”

 

I glanced to where she seats. Joy and Yeri are waiting for her to finished putting her things on her bag.

 

“How?”

 

“Leave it to me.” Wendy said and drags me to where she is.

 

“Hey guys wanna have lunch with us? Seulgi’s treat.” Wendy beam.

 

My eyes widens in horror. What the Wendy is saying.

 

“Really Seulgi Unnie?!” Yeri is grinning like there’s no tomorrow.

 

“Irene Unnie let’s go. It’s a treat!” Joy said, pulling Irene from her seat.

 

Irene glanced at me.

 

“Is it true Seulgi?”

 

“Y-yeah.” I laughed nervously.

 

Son, Wendy you’re so dead later.

 

Going home..

 

“Irene let me take you home.”

 

I asked her to walk out of the school together and she agreed. And now, we we’re at the shed, waiting for the bus.

 

She shakes her head.

 

“No. It’s too far. It’s two hours from here.”

 

“It’s okay.”

 

“No it’s not.”

 

“Please.”

 

“No.”

 

“Please.”

 

“No.”

 

“You like me?”

 

“No—I-I mean yes.”

 

I laughed.

 

“What did you say you like me?"

 

She slaps my arm.

 

“Stop it.” She said, blushing madly. She’s so cute.

 

“You said you like me.”

 

Then a bus stops in front of us. She immediately rushed inside. She sits and the bus started to move.

 

“Hey Irene you said—“

 

“Yes you idiot now go home!”

 

I was grinning widely while walking home. Why does a word Idiot sounds so good?

 

Helping in lectures..

 

“Irene can you help me in calculus?” I drag a chair towards her. I plopped myself and put my calculus book and pen on her desk.

 

“Why would you need help? Your scores are always high in those.”

 

“No it’s not true.” I humbly said. My plan is to get much closer to Irene. Thanks to Wendy. It’s her idea. She said make a hundred reasons to just talk to Irene. And of course, I need to treat Wendy again. Next time I’m telling my parents to double my allowance. That’s for sure.

 

“What’s your score last exam?”

 

I remembered I always slip my exams on books. I flip the pages of my calculus book and saw a paper. Then I take it and glanced at my score.

 

“Uhm.. 95/100?”

 

She snatched my paper.

 

“See! You don’t need my help!” She said eyeing my paper.

 

“My last exam score is 80. If there’s someone asking help, it’s me not you.” She gives my paper back.

 

Oh no.. Not good.. I need to show my charms.

 

“But I really need your help~” I flaunt my very adorable puppy dog eyes with a pout. Even Wendy can’t say no to this.

 

She averted her gazed to me and flips the calculus book.

 

“W-where do you need my help with?”

 

See no one can resist my charms.

 

I’m sure with my feelings now. I know she feels the same way too. Every time I open my eyes in the morning up to closing my eyes at night, all I see is her. When I hear her name said by someone, I subconsciously looking around. Scanning the surroundings if she is there. Sometimes I smell her perfume out of nowhere. She’s right. I really am an idiot. This is crazy. I’m going crazy. She’s making me crazy.

 

So I asked the love expert, even she, herself, have a zero experience about love, Wendy.

 

“Wan-ah I want to confess to Irene. How should I do it?”

 

We we’re at the mall again, random strolling and stuff. Getting hungry, we eat on the fast food Wendy suggest.

 

Wendy choked from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter