Milk And Coffee Is A Wrong Combination

Areia Idol Academia

Sunny’s POV

I was calmly eating my hotteok beside Nicole, who’s doing the same with her japchae, while Sooyoung and Yoona are busy stealing Hyoyeon’s kimbap since he’s busy staring at his phone. Yuri was sniggering beside the latter then takes a bite of his okonomiyaki and soba. ‘He’s into Japanese meals today, huh?’

“Hey, what the?! Who took my precious kimbap?!” Hyoyeon yelled once he looked over his plate. With widened eyes, he turned to the shikshins who’s trying their best to maintain a poker face. “You two heads! You’ll pay for what you’ve done.”

If this is a scene from an anime show, you’ll be able to visualize Hyoyeon having flames in his eyes as he stared daggers at the two culprits who are laughing nervously at him. “W-we can explain, bro.”, “Yeah, it’s Yoong who took it all. I just have one bite and that’s all.” And the two kept blaming each other as Hyoyeon tried to strangle them both.

“These guys never mature.” I rolled my eyes as I watch them doing their scene. “But to be honest, they’re actually cute like that, right?” Nicole said. I rolled my eyes again, but smiled as I nodded in agree. “Yeah, I guess.” With that, we laughed and gained the guys eyes on us, completely confused.

We didn’t mind them and just go back on eating. “Girls will always be girls.”, “Yup.”, “Sometimes, even when I’m in a relationship with one, I still don’t get them.” The three said. Nic glared over Hyoyeon. “What is that supposed to mean?” The latter gulped as he raises his hands in a defensive way. “N-nothing, babe! I--, ow!” He tried to talk it off but Nic’s fingers are already clamming over his poor left ear.

“Serves you right.” Yuri sniggered and so the other two.

I busied myself with my food so I didn’t notice my tanned friend rising up from his seat until I heard a loud, dolphin-like shriek that made me look up. The owner of the noise was none other than Jessica. I noticed a large stain of Yuri’s soba sauce, the squid’s ink, over the girl’s uniform. It was black and very noticeable, especially since there’s also some bits of pasta everywhere her white fabricated uniform.

Other students are looking at us as an argument started to happen.

“The hell’s wrong with you and your poor eyesight, Kwon?!” Jessica angrily spat as she propped her forefinger over Yuri’s face, specifically his eyes. “It was an accident, ok?” I noticed the irritation over the guy’s voice as he replied lowly. “Accident … yeah, right. It won’t happen though if you’re not stupid enough to feel the presence of other people around you.” The sarcasm was evident in Jessica’s words.

“H-hey, cool it down a little, you t-two.” Sooyoung nervously got between the two mad people. Yoong joined in as cold sweat appeared over his face. “We can talk this out nicely and calmly.” He placed his tall self in front of Jessica while Soo did the same with Yuri.

“If you two giants don’t want to get hurt, go away from my sight, now.” Authority is all I can feel over Jessica’s tone as she glares intensely at Sooyoung and Yoona. Yuri’s eyes that also shoot daggers didn’t help the situation either.

I was about to stand up and help too when I saw three familiar figures appearing behind the older Jung. “Jess, let’s stop this now or you might get the scolding from Mr. Areia, again.” Tiffany said calmly as she put a hand over the girl’s shoulder. The former’s eyes twitched with teeth gritting hardly, but she knows the positivity over what Tiff said was not a joke at all.

Jessica Jung usually gets into hot arguments and such with Kwon Yuri, that’s pretty given from the start. Right now, I can clearly see the memory of this two’s first clash in front of me.

(Flashback: A year ago…)

I was on my first year here in Areia Idol Academia. My uncle, Lee Sooman, always praises me about my voice and will always encourage me to try using that talent to become famous, a star or idol. At first, I never got serious with until one day, my friend secretly recorded me while I was singing alone in my room.

She directly posted the video to the school’s entry for scholarship and it was quickly given a feedback. While I was arranging my things since it was just the beginning of summer, that friend came barging into my house and showed me a note that Mr. Areia is accepting my scholarship entry to his school.

I was clueless until that friend told me everything. At first, I can’t believe her doing something for me without permission, but thanked and hugged her in the end after understanding the good purpose of her actions. Though it somehow forced to me, following her encouragement and my uncle’s words, I accepted it whole-heartedly and here I am now, walking my little feet in the most awaited prestigious school for teenagers with futures to become famous and all.

I was a like a scared puppy as I nervously step forwardly through the gates. Since I never expected something like this to occur in my life, I was still uneasy with the things that happened and about to happen.

I kept walking, completely lowering my head in nervousness, when I suddenly bumped into someone. “Oh, sorry!” The person and I both said. When I looked up to see the stranger’s face, I didn’t expect that I’ll be staring too high because he was so tall. “I’m really sorry. I didn’t notice you there. My heavenly burger made me lose my focus, hehe.”

He scratched his nape. His other hand was holding a half-eaten extra-large burger. “Nah, I was also spacing out so I’m at fault too.” I smiled at him. “My name’s Sooyoung. I’m new here and a little lost to be honest.” His wide smile took away my tension. “Mine is Soonkyu, but call me Sunny instead … if you don’t want to lose your food in a blink of an eye.”

Sooyoung’s face turned into a terrified one but laugh it off afterwards. “Let’s look for our class together?” He offered and I nodded. ‘That’s how Sooyoung and I became friends.’

We were walking peacefully when a bag come flying off an open door followed by a tanned guy panting heavily. “I told you, I wasn’t flirting with Tiffany!” He yelled at the door before a chair was thrown to his spot. ‘Who’s he fighting with? Hulk? And isn’t this my designated room?’ My thought turned into dust when the person came out.

It was a petite girl with very cold yet beautiful face. Her expression was the worst hell-mode I ever saw though. “So what is clinging comfortably while talking with a sly smile is supposed to be called, Kwon? Friendly?! What if my heels cling over your neck forever while that smile of yours turns into quivering lips, huh?!” True to her words, the girl take off her high heels and held it out as if she’s about to throw it to the guy.

“You brutal midget icepick, are you seriously trying to kill me?!” He exaggeratedly shouted back as he look at his sides for an escape. “Trying to kill you? Ha, of course not. I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!” After that, milk and coffee are mixed together in the scariest way of all can ever imagine.

Chairs and books were flying here and there as scream after scream were exchange around the hallway. I was trembling over my spot. Turning to my companion, I saw Sooyoung shaking his head followed by a heavy low sigh.

“Until here they still bicker? Now my peaceful fame life is already over even before it started.” He weakly said while massaging his temples, no burger present in his hand anymore.

(End of Flashback…)

If only I can guess what Sooyoung meant that day, I would rather roll myself in a thick blanket and never walk back inside the school. Seeing Yuri being strangle to near death was enough, but having me receive tons of deadly stares from a certain Jung made me stomp stuck for months over my steel chair looking behind Jessica’s back while shivering in fear.

‘But I can’t complain that much. Sooyoung saw and experienced enough than me to cry in the corner. And also without those, my days won’t be lively.’

Thanks to Tiff, I became friends with the Ice Queen. In Yuri’s side, Sooyoung was there to inform and introduce me to him. They became my friends in two sides, the tall boys and the wonder girls. Tiffany joined the election for the Student Council and became the vice-president. There she knew Taeyeon, the president.

‘And by that, our poor old Taeng get a lot of stress from us and the Tom & Jerry couple.’

I can’t believe how Jess won the secretary position though, and mine as the ‘special duty representative’. Either way, she and Yul still ended their days into an intense argument, constantly without even a single day unmarked, and any of us can’t stop them except themselves. Even the principal gained too much headache from the two that he let it be.

But for me, without their bickering, the gang was incomplete and dull. We all knew each other from the two of them, and their fights are something we normally expect to happen. And yes, that includes Nicole, Hyoyeon, Yoona and Seohyun, who are also greeted with the greatest welcoming scene of the two’s daily war. ‘But that’s another story for them to tell.’

“Let’s just all eat, the next lecture’s about to start. We sunbaes must be early for our younger classmates, ok?” Taeyeon ordered. “We’re supposed to meet the others before entering the room.” Tiff added. We heard two heavy sighs before chairs were moved. The tides finally died down as we all seated and started eating.

“Yoong, can you come with me in the library later before lunch?” Our calm treasurer, Seohyunnie, suddenly said. “Ok.” Yoona simply replied with a sweet smile. ‘These two are so lowkey romantic yet cute. Their innocence is needed to be preserve as much as possible.’