Eight

F Minus

Before the class started, Yong Hwa came in a bit early to the classroom. He arrived at the door. He stood by the classroom door scanning the room to see if Shin Hye came in today.

She’s here..

She was by herself isolated in a corner minding her own business while the other students were socializing. She hasn’t had any disturbances with anyone...yet. It's been about two weeks since he gave her the packet of work.

“Park Shin Hye.” His firm voice penetrated through the classroom. Everybody looked up and turned their heads towards Shin Hye. Shin Hye frowned, she didn’t like this type of attention. Yerin had a worried face on, deep inside cared about Shin Hye but didn’t know how to express it. Hyorin watched as Shin Hye stood up from her chair. Something about Shin Hye seemed familiar to her and it annoyed Hyorin. Whispers of “did she get in trouble again? What did she do now?” was all over the classroom. Shin Hye walked to the door. Her pretty eyes met with his as she looked up to him, because of his tall figure.

That stern face, what a shame Yong Hwa thought as she stood before him.

“Yes.” Emotionless.

“I need to speak with you. Come with me.” Yong Hwa said as he crossed his arms. Shin Hye nodded her head. She still didn’t know how to act around Yong Hwa. She has been trying to avoid him but had kept failing because of the hug. It's been since that they had spoken to each other. She had to take her test she didn’t take when she was absent with another teacher. She started to feel nervous and awkward. Shin Hye didn’t like the feeling.

Yong Hwa began to walk and she followed him. The other students felt the need to be nosy and look out the classroom door to see where he was taking her.

“It's not the principal’s office.” One guy had claimed because they had went the opposite direction from the office.

“Why does she get attention from him? She’s not that pretty. Or has a great body.” Dasom snarked. Hyorin looked up from her phone, “Nah. I highly doubt he has some interest in her. Don’t you remember..his first impression on her was awful. I heard that the other teachers don’t like her. The disciplinary seems to not like her either. Hehe.”

“How do you know? They tell you?!” Dasom stood up from her chair in excitement.

“Yes girl. Of course. I find out about everything. Did you forget my dad owns and funds this school?”

“Oh thats right!”

“I’m glad that they hired Mr. Jung. It was getting boring here. It's time to have some fun girlies..” Hyorin smirked. Suddenly, Irene came into the classroom.

“Is Mr. Jung here?” she asked authoritatively.

“Uh no..he’s talking to a student right now.” One student stated.

Irene’s eyes scanned the room. Could it be that Shin ..what was it..Hi?

“Oh okay. I see. Did he say where he was going?”

“No.” the student responded.

“Okay.” Irene marched out of the classroom.

“Dasom..get ready for some fun.” Hyorin smirk became wider.

 

Shin Hye followed Yong Hwa to the teacher’s room and into his workspace. The teachers that were there all looked at her.

“She seems familiar. I remember seeing her once..but I don’t know where..” some teachers whispered to each other.

“Have a seat.” Yong Hwa offered to Shin Hye. She sat down. He took out a packet of papers out of drawer of his desk and sat beside her.

“Take a look.” He smiled dearly at her. Shin Hye immediately looked at the papers and was trying to avoid from blushing. Her eyes widened.

She passed through the pages from the packet he had given her before. Almost all the answers to the math questions were wrong. She looked at the test she had taken.

F Minus.

How?... how?

She couldn’t believe what she was looking at. What happened to me? Did I forget everything? I studied..

“Did you really understand the content?”

“I thought I did..” Shin Hye kept looking at all the answers she got wrong.

“Shin Hye..”

“Yes?” She looked right into his eyes which kind of startled him a little because she’s been avoiding his eye contact for awhile.

“Mathematics is a living subject.”

Shin Hye nodded her head, she didn’t know how to reply to that statement.

“You can compare math to a person. You think you might understand a person but then that person comes out with a different reaction. It catches you off guard because you thought you knew the person but you actually don’t. Math is the same. Until you fully understand it, you will be able to solve the problems. You can’t keep relying on memory or examples from the textbook.” He explained. Shin Hye didn’t say anything. Her phone vibrated.

“Go ahead, look at it.” He grinned.

“Excuse me..” She took her phone out of her skirt pocket. It was a message from her boss from the cleaning company. “Ah, I forgot..” Shin Hye thought out loud.

Yong Hwa, being nosy, looked at her phone’s screen. He read the message without her knowing.

“I’ll answer later..” she muttered and placed the phone down on the desk.

“Also, Shin Hye. To fully understand a person, you need to spend time with the person. Right? Same with math. You need to dedicate time.” He grabbed her phone out of the sudden.

“What..are you doing?”

“Creating time.” Yong Hwa her phone’s screen, swiped, and it was exactly on the text message from her boss. He pressed the call button. “Hi..I’m..”

“Jung Yong Hwa?” the lady from the other end of the line asked.

“Uh yes.. wait..Aunt? Is that you?”

“Yes why are you calling from my employee’s phone number..wait don’t tell me she’s your girlfriend? She’s a good worker.”

“Uh no..she’s my student.”

Shin Hye didn’t know how to react..is her boss really his aunt? She was about to grab the phone out of his hands but wanted to see what he was going to do.

“Oh, what happened then?”

“She’s not doing well in my class. She needs a break but I hope you can provide her with a job after she graduates..?” He nervously tapped his fingers on the desk.

“Oh..Yong Hwa seems like you really care about her...Hm. Well since you’re my favorite nephew, yes I’ll do that favor.”

“Thank you so much.” He hanged up.

“It’s all settled, Shin Hye. Now you have time to study and do well.”

“Wait..wait but how-” Yong Hwa cut her off.

“Don’t worry about it. Focus on getting to know math. We start today after school for your extra help. Meet me in this classroom.” He wrote down the number of the classroom in a light blue post it note. She grabbed the post it note and looked at it. The looked at him.

“Thank you..” she whispered.

 

Irene was looking from a far. Irene had mixed feelings which were jealousy, sadness and a bit of happiness just seeing Yong Hwa in action.Did he choose her..to be that student?

 

 

A/N: Thank you for waiting! Sorry things and emotions got in the way. I hope you guys will still read this fic! Its a bit short but hope you enjoy it~~