Two

F Minus

For two weeks Shin Hye unconsciously looked forward to the last 15 minutes of closing the convenience store. She stared at the clock and at the door.

“Shin Hye, everything alright?” Junmyeon came by her side. She always looked focused but these past two weeks she’s been spacing out. Is she having a hard time at home?

“Huh? Oh yeah, definitely. Just tired. That’s it.” Shin Hye responded and started to wipe the counter.

“You know if you need anything. I can help you.” Junmyeon was genuinely concerned.

“Awe thanks! I’m going to the bathroom.” Shin Hye patted his arm and left to the bathroom.  He knew that Shin Hye would never ask for his help. She was the type to not ask for help, especially him since he is rich. She doesn’t want anybody get the wrong idea that she is just using Junmyeon. The only way he can help her is giving her a raise. He wants to find a way to reach her. But he doesn’t know how to, she is tough to figure out.

 

Junmyeon closed up the convenience store. They are both standing in front of the store.  Shin Hye sighed. He didn’t come, you’re so stupid Shin Hye..focus.

“Are you hungry?” Junmyeon looked at her with loving eyes.

Shin Hye stared at the dark sky filled with stars. “I’m going back to school in March. I need to finish my senior year.”

“Oh I see..” He knew what that meant. He wouldn’t be able to see her as much. “Would you still want to work during the weekends?” he asked.

“Can I?” Shin Hye’s eyes shined.

“Yeah, of course.” Junmyeon shrugged his shoulders.

“Thank you so much. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Shin Hye bowed her head and walked her way home. Junmyeon looked at her from the distance. That’s right, graduate so then I can confess to you..

 

____________

 

“Wow I can’t believe we are going to graduate soon..” Irene laid her head upon YongHwa’s shoulder.  Yong Hwa’s heart began to palpitate. She looked up at him with graceful eyes. Her lips were nicely shaped and her eyes glimmered. He had the urge to lay his lips on her. But no, he can’t. He doesn’t want to ruin their friendship of many years. He knew that she was talking to someone. Why was she giving him mixed signals?

“People are going to think we’re dating.” YongHwa lifted her head off his shoulder.

“Awe c’mon, you let me do this all the time when we were little.” Irene pouted.

Yeah because I’ve always liked you but now...you’re talking to someone. I know you don’t like me… “That’s because your head wasn’t heavy. Now it's heavy.” YongHwa smirked. I’m just protecting myself…

“Yahhh..”She playfully punched his arm. Irene was a bit disappointed, this is the first time that he rejected her skinship. She was slightly hoping for at least something more to happen. A phone started to ring.

“Oh, it’s my phone.” She looked at it and internally sighed. “Oh my gosh, it’s him!” She stood up from the couch. “Hey..what? Yeah sure I can meet up. Okay see you.” She ended the call. “Sorry..I have to go. He said he wants to talk to me about something..it’s urgent.”

Yong Hwa’s heart sank. Time to get over her.  “I understand. Go!”He faked smiled.

Irene was frustrated. She had tried to make the mood as romantic and tense as possible.  She wanted to figure out if he had feelings for her. But just seeing how he pushed her away made it clear for her. She was expecting that he would tell her to stay and not go to the other guy. But he didn’t. Irene nodded her head and left.


 

“Damn, she just left like that. Wow.” Baekhyun got onto his bed with his phone in his hand. Yong Hwa laid on the couch.

“Well I told her to go. She likes him. I read their texts, and they’re both flirting with each other.” He looked up at their dorm’s ceiling.

“Bro, you were too slow though. At least should have confessed.” Baekhyun threw him his dirty sock which fell on his face.

“Dude.” YongHwa took the sock off his face and threw it back to him. “I didn’t want to make things awkward. She always referred to me as the childhood friend or the sibling she never had. Also, she’s always been a flirt. So how am I supposed to know if she actually likes me?”

“Could have asked her friends…?” Baekhyun suggested.

“She never had friends that were girls. That's why she stuck with me.  They always backstabbed her.” YongHwa’s phone vibrated. “Oh look I got a text message from her.”

“What does it say?!” Baekhyun jumped onto the couch from his bed.

“Hey, I have my first boyfriend! He asked me out! Congratulate me Yong.” YongHwa looked at his phone in disbelief.

“Wait first boyfriend?!” Baekhyun was in shock.

“Yeah, she’s just a flirt but scared to start any relationship.That's why I didn’t mind being by her side all this time because she never left my side.”Yong Hwa ruffled his hair.

“Bro, you just wasted all this time on that one girl.”’ Baekhyun playfully pushed him.

“I know.. I’m going to take a walk.” Yong Hwa stood up.

“I would stop you but I feel your pain. I’ll open the door for you. No worries.” Baekhyun told him.


 

Yong Hwa passed by the convenience store. “Oh that’s right, it’s closed at this hour.” He sighed and left to the nearby park.

He sat on a swing. Suddenly, he heard some noise. He turned his head.

“Oh my gosh. You scared me.” he said to the girl next to him. She snuffled.

“What? I can’t cry?!” the girl exclaimed. The girl was Shin Hye. But they both didn’t recognize each other because they both had their hoodies on and it was obviously dark outside.

“Uh..” Yong Hwa didn’t know what to say. He was actually going to cry himself but just hearing someone else cry made him not want to do it anymore. “Are you okay?”

“Does it look like I’m okay?!! I’m crying!” She held onto the swing’s handles firmly.

“Okay, bad question. But what happened?” Yong Hwa was actually a bit scared. The girl seemed very feisty.

“Why should I tell you? You’re a complete stranger.” She started to slowly swing.

“True.. but I can still help.” He said nonchalantly.

“No. I don’t need your help.” Her words were sharp as knives that sliced apples. Shin Hye wiped her tears on her hoodie.

“Fine then.” Yong Hwa stood up from the swing. What a crazy girl..

Suddenly, Shin Hye tugged on his sweater.

“Yes?” Yong Hwa was kind of amused but a bit creeped out.

“Let’s ride the swings. Let’s see who can go the highest.” Her voice seemed familiar to Yong Hwa. And for some reason, he stayed and sat back down on the swing.

 

After ten minutes of silently riding the swing, Shin Hye looked at her watch.

“Oh. I got to go. It’s late.” She suddenly stopped the swing and grabbed her bag. Yong Hwa stopped his swing. “Thank you sir. Good Bye.” She bowed in front of him.

“Oh oh..uh..no problem. Take care?” It just happened so fast that he couldn’t process what was happening. He observed her from afar. Shin Hye stood under a street light and took off the hood. Yong Hwa kept looking at her, her side profile seemed familiar.

“It was her..wait.. what’s her name?” Yong Hwa immediately stood from the swing to go to her but Shin Hye already crossed the street and disappeared. Yong Hwa was grateful towards her, he actually forgot about his problem and was concentrating on just swinging. Yong Hwa smirked at this thought.

“What an odd girl..” he slipped his hands into his pockets and left to the dorm.

 

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Just setting the grounds. We still need to figure out why she was crying..hmm?? Sorry if it was short ahhh. Anyways, thank you for reading, until the next update!!