Eleven

F Minus

“What do I want? It's more about what YOU want.” Yong Hwa chuckled even more and squatted in front of her.

“What..are you talking about?” Shin Hye muttered, trying to avoid his direct eye contact. At that moment her stomach growled really loudly. She wrapped her arms around her stomach. Shush.

“THAT's what I was talking about.” Yong Hwa pointed at her stomach for emphasis. Shin Hye looked away. Why does he care?..

“Mr.Jung..are you stalking me?” She glanced her eyes at him with no emotion, like always which made him laugh.

This girl sure is something else.. “I don’t know, but I hope not.” His charming smile appeared on his face which annoyed Shin Hye even more. Her eyes purposely looked away and focused her attention on a nearby rock. Can he stop smiling at me like that?

“Here, I hope you like this.” Yong Hwa grabbed something from the plastic bag he was holding and handed Shin Hye something that was wrapped in aluminum. Shin Hye stared at it, not knowing what it was. Perhaps..food?

“It's a peanut butter and jam sandwich.” He continued. “It's one of my favorite sandwiches. My cousins in America fed me this while I visited them. I hope you like it.”

“Oh..” she touched the sandwich. “I can’t take this from you.It’s your lunch..”

“Shin Hye, eat.” He stood up and before she could say anything he walked away.

“You forgot…” she picked up the bottle of juice. “Your..juice..” She noticed that it had a purple sticky note. It said: Hey F Minus, make sure to eat and drink this to get better grades! - Mr. Jung

As she read the sticky note, unknowingly a little smile began to appear on her face. “F Minus..I am F minus..” she muttered to herself. She carefully opened the aluminum foil that was wrapped around the sandwich. Oh..looks good. She took a bite out of the pb&j sandwich as well as taking a sip of the mango juice. This is delicious.

-

“Irene..what are you doing here?” Yong Hwa saw Irene just aimlessly looking out a window from the hallway that was by the stairs to the roof.

“Yong..Hwa..these kids, why are they like this?” Irene was obviously stressed out. She ran her fingers through her luscious hair. “Everyday is something new..”

“Yeah, I don’t understand why its always in the cafeteria, well since I’ve started. What do these kids have against food? Use their hands not food. Geez.” He stood beside her looking out the window.

He had happened to peek in the cafeteria wondering if Shin Hye was alright and he wondered if the bag her so called ‘coworker’ gave her had food in it. He had spotted Shin Hye and Sunny. Sunny, out of nowhere, pushed the food off the table. He couldn’t understand why. He watched Shin Hye stand up and leave with a..sad..expression. Yong Hwa couldn’t bear to just watch, he knew he had to do something. So, he quickly went to the teachers’ room, where he had his packed lunch. Oh, good it's still warm.She should have a drink as well..hmm. He grabbed the foiled sandwich, a plastic bag that he keeps in his desk drawer, a pen and his post it notes. Yong Hwa quickly walked to one of the vending machines and purchased a mango juice. I hope she likes this. Now..to find her. Maybe at the roof, like the other time? He semi-ran through the hallways and up the stairs to the roof. He was relieved to see her there on the same spot from before.

Irene began to giggle at his comment.

“I know, I know. Thanks for understanding.It actually makes me happy to know that you understand…” Irene said shyly. Her heart was beating as he smiled at her. How did I waste time with another guy when I could have easily been with you?

“I believe in you. You’re strong.” He looked directly into her eyes, her eyes that were filled with stress and anxiety. His hand gently moved toward her face then unto the top of her head. He gently patted her her head. Irene had begun to smile. Just like old times..

 

Shin Hye opened the door, as she was finished with the lunch that Yong Hwa had given her and it was about time to get to class. Right in front of her, Mr. Jung was patting Irene. Unconsciously, her hand that was carrying the purple post it note began to scrunch it. Why am I so annoyed?..Psh. He treats every woman like a ..dog. Shin Hye took in a deep breath and walked passed them avoiding any eye contact. Yong Hwa immediately noticed Shin Hye walking by and awkwardly stopped patting Irene.

“That's your student..right?” Irene asked.

“Yeah..” He watched Shin Hye walk off from the distance.

“How is she? Is she giving you a hard time?” Irene looked at Shin Hye from a far.

“I don’t know. She’s..peculiar.” Yong Hwa looked at his watch. “Class is about to start..I’ll talk to you later.”

Irene smiled at the “talk to you later” . “Sure, go ahead.”

“Thanks.” He grinned and he followed after Shin Hye while Irene started to make a phone call.

 

Hyorin, who was hiding behind a nearby wall, over heard the whole conversation and saw everything that happened. What’s going on..? Yong Hwa passed by Hyorin without noticing, so she followed him. He caught up to Shin Hye.

“Shin Hye..” he was already walking beside her. “How was it?” He was curious to know her opinion about the peanut butter and jam sandwich.

Act like nothing happened, act like nothing happened Shin Hye. Focus on paying the debt. She gulped. “I really liked it, thanks.” Her tone of voice was monotonous.

How was what? What did he give her? Hyorin was trying her best to hear the conversation.

“Ah what a relief. Well, I’ll see you in class...F Minus.” He turned his back on Shin Hye since he was going toward the teachers’ room to get his suitcase. Shin Hye stood in the middle of hallway, looking at Mr. Jung walk away. F Minus.

“F Minus? He already has a nickname for her..?” Hyorin whispered to herself.First, Brian Yang, then Junmyeon and now..Mr. Jung. Who is she?

 

-

“Hello, class.” Yong Hwa entered the classroom while the class swooned as usual, but even the boys did it as well because it’s a playful tease. He placed his teacher’s edition textbook on the podium.

“Lookin’ fresh, Mr. Jung!” A guy shouted from the back.

“Mr. Jung, you look so good today. Why is that? Is it a new tie?” A female student asked aloud causing Yong Hwa to smirk.

“Maybe it is a new tie, ha.” He replied while looking at the whole classroom. Sunny, Dasom and Hyorin were just looking at their books normally. Shin Hye seemed concentrated on something...she did look pensive from the morning, what's bothering her, why do I care so much. Get back to teaching.

“Today, we start a new chapter on Exponents and Logarithms. Ah, my favorite.” He rolled up sleeves, exposing his soft but muscular and veiny arms. The male students “ooo”ed once Mr. Jung did that action. Shin Hye looked up from figuring out how to get to her grandma’s house, confused. She heard some girl whisper, “his arms!” She directed her attention towards his arms while he was writing examples on the board. Oh, his arms, She focused all her attention on his arms, it annoyed her on how lovely they looked. Yong Hwa face the class again after writing on the board and he noticed how Shin Hye was just staring. What is she staring at? Is..she okay?

“Class, have you written down the problems and solved yet?” He announced while looking at Shin Hye. Suddenly, her eyes widened and snapped out of it. She began to write in her notebook.

 

The rest of the class period, everybody was unusually calm which kind of scared Yong Hwa. It’s not even exam season yet, but why do they all so look tired? Those extra night classes huh?

Shin Hye understood the lesson but she was mostly worried about how she will get back home from her grandma’s, if she only has enough for one bus ride. I’ll figure it out. Yong Hwa handed out some worksheets as classwork and began to walk around the classroom to check how the students were doing, to see if they actually understood the lesson. Shin Hye quickly finished the worksheet and ripped out a piece of paper. She wrote down on the piece of paper the amount of total debt, what she owed and how much she would ask for. At that moment, she felt breathing and an familiar scent.

“Where’s your worksheet?” Yong Hwa kindly asked.

“Oh.. here..” she took the worksheet out of her folder and tried to hide the piece of paper. He quickly examined her worksheet.

“Good job!” He nodded his head and walked towards another student who raised their hand for help. Ah, so that’s what worrying her. The debt. I kind of forgot. But this confirms it even more. He smirked to himself when Shin Hye was trying to hide the piece of paper. Silly, I saw it before you could hide it. “Yes, Minhee? What do you need help on?” he asked the student who raised her hand.

 

-

 

Okay..I have twenty minutes to get to the bus stop. I can do this. Shin Hye closed her locker after putting some workbooks into her backpack while holding Junmyeon’s empty lunch bag.She was determined that nothing was going to stop her, especially that Brian Yang. I’m not an object. Who does he think I am? I’ll be able to pay that...huge debt. I hope. Shin Hye needs to act quick before her time is up. Right now, school..isn’t the most important thing, paying that debt and honoring her father’s name is her mission that she must complete. The only reason she went back to school was before she couldn’t go back. Once you turn twenty/twenty-one, you’re not allowed to re enroll into high school. She didn’t want to be seen as a drop out especially because of the name she holds. For the sake of her beloved father. Go. Go. I must go. I don’t want to worry my mother. She has paid most of the debt. I must do my part.

 

Irene and Yong Hwa were standing outside supervising the high school students leave the school, making sure there weren’t any more fights.

“Oh look, there goes your student.” Irene pointed out Shin Hye that ran passed them.

“Ah.. yeah.” Yong Hwa looked at Shin Hye run. Is her running related to the debt? Is it that bad? It’s getting chilly, she only had the school jacket on.

“She always has her hair tied...what a shame it looks like she has pretty long hair.” Irene said this comment on purpose waiting for Yong Hwa’s reaction. She knows that Yong Hwa likes girls with long hair. He glanced at Irene for moment. “Oh..right you notice those things. I don’t really notice my student’s hairs.” He chuckled. “I forgot, you like talking about hair.” Irene was relieved at his reaction.

“Yes..yes I do.” She felt content.

Yong Hwa’s phone began to ring. He reached into his pocket and grabbed his cell phone. “Oh..it's Baekhyun..your favorite.” He said sarcastically,

“Oh totally. Tell him I said hi.” Irene crossed her arms. He nodded his head.

 

Yong Hwa answered. “Hey bro..”

“Hey, are you busy right now?” Baekhyun said through the other line.

“Not really, Irene says hi.”

“BRO. What? Wait..you’re with her right now? I forgot..she also works at the school.”

“Yeah, haha. What’s up?”

“My mom needs helping transporting boxes of clothes that one of her best clients bought for some party. You know, really rich people party. Can you come? We need a pair of hands.”

“Uh..sure. Yeah I can help.”

“Okay cool. Meet me at my parent’s house, park in their driveway and we off.”

“Alright, I’ll be there in fifteen to twenty minutes.”

“Great.”

“Bye.” Yong Hwa ended the call. “Well, I have to go, Baekhyun needs help with something. I’ll see you.”

“Okay, goodbye.” Irene waved and smiled at Yong Hwa as he left to his car.

 

“Do you think...the disciplinary likes Mr. Jung..” Hyorin was scrolling through instagram as she was waiting for her ride.

“I mean..who wouldn’t. Mr. Jung is gorgeous.” Dasom responded while scrolling through her instagram.

“But it's weird. How did they get close..so quickly. Something is really off especially with Shin Hye..” Hyorin tapped ‘like’ one of the pictures on insta.

“Since the first day, she’s been off.” Sunny replied.

“What are you going to wear for the dinner party?” Dasom asked ,changing subjects, because she had scrolled past a picture of party dresses from an account she follows on instagram.

“I still don’t know yet but I do wonder what type of dress Brian’s new girl will wear…” Hyorin sighed.

 

 

A/N: HEY A QUICK SHORT UPDATE FOR YOU ALL . I hope you like where this is going..hehe. Hmm will Shin Hye's grandma borrow/ help her with her debt? Will she have to sell herself to Brian Yang? We shall find out...