One

F Minus

~One year ago~

“Shin Hye!!!” Junmyeon playfully shouted as he stood in front of some boxes.  Shin Hye dreadfully came in the storage room. She was tired. Her eye bags were as dark as concrete pavement. Her thick hair was tied up in a messy pony tail. Shin Hye’s skin was starting to break out. Ahh she must be stressed, Junmyeon thought as he examined her. She scrunched her cute nose as she looked at the boxes and let out a huge sigh. Nonetheless still beautiful, Junmyeon smirked.

“Don’t tell me you want me to put these boxes away?” Shin Hye looked at the boxes with displeasure. She can tell how heavy they were just by looking at it.

“Yup.” Junmyeon spoke nonchalantly.

“You really like to push my buttons, don’t you?” Shin Hye gritted her teeth. Junmyeon playfully scoffed.

“What? Me? No way.” He crossed his arms.

Shin Hye squatted and placed her arms around the first box. Oh shoot, it's so heavy, she thought. She looked up and met eyes with Junmyeon. He squatted as well.

“I feel bad so let me just do it.” He picked up the box gracefully and placed it on the shelf.

“Oh my gosh. Junmyeon.” If she could she would say so many things to him but Junmyeon is the manager of the convenience store and the owner’s son.  She also just got a raise.  “Okay, well I’m going back to the front…” Shin Hye left the storage room and went behind the cash register. She glanced up at the big clock that’s above the door. It was 21: 45 pm. Yes, 15 minutes until it closes..

Junmyeon came back out with his jacket on.

“Sorry Shin Hye, I won’t be able to close up with you. I have to leave right now. My father needs me. If I don’t go…” Junmyeon shivered.

“Haha. I know. Don’t worry.” Shin Hye smiled.

“Okay, call me if anything.” Junmyeon smiled and left the store.

Junmyeon, a son of a rich man. His father owns several convenience stores throughout South Korea. But his father had put him to work due to his laziness and ungratefulness.  He started to work in his father’s several convenience stores after high school. He had to earn money for his college tuition and learn how to save. It’s been three years. He’s twenty one now.

It’s been hard, learning how to deal with the “real world”, the way his father would put it. He has learned a lot from his experiences in working in the convenience store. Especially from Shin Hye. It is currently her second year working in the convenience store but now as a full timer.  When his father hired her, he was slightly annoyed because that was the girl who embarrassed him once in a restaurant. He was breaking up with his girlfriend. He does admit he was being a to the girl. Shin Hye was sitting behind them and overhead everything. She couldn’t take it, grabbed her drink and went up to him.

        “Who do you think you are to be treating a woman like that? Treat her with some respect. We are all human beings. If you’re going to break up, then just do it. Stop humiliating her.” She poured the drink on him.

 

However, she didn’t recognize him at all. Or she chose not to recognize him.  He would try to make her life impossible but she just kept working hard. He observed her very well. Hardworking, mature for her age, diligent, intelligent, and beautiful inside and out. This motivated him to stop being slacker and actually do something with his life since he has the opportunity. She was different from the other girls he has dated. He couldn’t seem to know how to confess to Shin Hye, probably because she’s still a high school student. But once she graduates, he has decided to confess to her. By then, he will be good enough for her.  He smirked at this thought while he drove home.

 

“I’m home!” Junmyeon shouted as he took off his shoes. The maids came to take off his jacket.

“He is in the living room, waiting for you.” One of the maids informed him.

Junmyeon walked to the living room finding his father drinking coffee and sitting on his favorite chair.

“Sit down Son..” His father placed the cup of coffee on the table that was beside him. Junmyeon obeyed.

“I heard..you did not go on the arranged date with Solar. Why?” His father was disappointed but was genuinely interested in hearing his answer.

“Oh that’s right..” Junmyeon nervously rubbed his thighs with both of his hands. “About that.. I forgot..”

“Junmyeon, if you are lying, this won’t end well.” .His father spoke sternly.

“It's just that Shin Hye needed help with her mom. As a friend, I wanted to help her. It's not her fault.  She didn’t make me go with her.” Junmyeon was nervous.

“Is  that so? You better not miss the next date with Solar.” His father was trying to retain his anger.

“Oh definitely not. I promise.”

“Solar is a good girl. And this is super important.”

“Okay. I will meet her next time then.” Junmyeon wasn’t so thrilled about the idea. He stood up.

“Son..do you  like that Shin Hye girl?”  Junmyeon only looked at his father, not knowing how to respond.  “Be careful. Just be careful.” Junmyeon knew damn well that his father did not approve of Shin Hye.  Not because of her persona but because of her class. She is low class. And you never know if they truly love you or your money, There’s lower risk between the same class.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shin Hye was checking if everything was in place before she would close up.  I swear if a customer walks in..   Someone walked in.

“Welcome!” Shin Hye bowed. You couldn’t really see the man’s face because he had his hood on. Shin Hye felt uneasy. The man went by the ramen section.  Shin Hye was carefully examining him. He stood by the ramen section for a while. Shin Hye had no choice but to go by him because she was scared he might steal something.  She looked at him from head to toe. Ahh, he must be a college student… she thought as she saw the name of a university on his sweater.  From the corner of his eye, the student looked at Shin Hye wondering why she was standing next to him.

“If you’re deciding which one to eat, get the plain. Easier on your stomach since it’s so late. And its cheaper.” Shin Hye pointed at the plain ramen.  The student took the plain ramen.  “If you’re going to heat it up, the microwave and water is over there.” Shin Hye directed him. She watched him as he prepared his plain ramen and went to sit where there was a table and chair  in the store.

It bothered Shin Hye that his hood was still on. It made her feel very uneasy.  She came by him.

“Do you mind taking off your hoodie, you look suspicious.” Shin Hye sounded very strict which made you want to obey her.

Aishh this girl is too straightforward..  The student took off his hood. Shin Hye examined his face. He looks tired and hungry. He has not shaved properly but he still looks young. His hair is messy as well. Kind of cute.. She crossed her arms.

“Not to be rude but you only have ten minutes to eat. I’m closing it up in ten minutes.” she suggested.

“Okay.” He slurped on his plain ramen.

“Are you a university student? Why are you out so late? Don’t you guys have a curfew?” Shin Hye began to interrogate him.

Oh my goodness.. The student became annoyed as he was not in the mood to talk. He stopped eating and looked at her.  “Yes. I needed some time outside. And yes.” he was curt with his answer.

“Midterms?” Shin Hye asked with no emotion. The student nodded.  “Ah how pitiful. No wonder you look like a mess.” Shin Hye left leaving the student offended. After a minute, Shin Hye came back and placed a big container of pickled radish in front of him.

“Eat a lot. You need the energy. Sorry that’s the only thing I have.” Shin Hye sat down across from him.

“You won’t charge me?” He squinted his eyes.

“I would have told you.” Shin Hye responded with an attitude. “Now eat, I’m going to eat as well. I got hungry while watching you eat. Ha.” She let out a small smile. The student’s eyebrows lifted. That was cute..   

“Do you just randomly carry pickled radish with you?” The student was intrigued.

“Yes. My mom gives it to me so I can snack throughout the day. I didn’t have time to eat it earlier today.” She grabbed a couple of radishes with her chopsticks and placed it all in .

“Ah I see. They’re tasty.” The student genuinely smiled.

“Now you don’t look like a criminal.” Shin Hye giggled as she chewed on the radishes.

“Thanks.” The student replied with a poker face. Shin Hye looked at the clock.

“You have two minutes.Just leave the container there when you’re done.” Shin Hye rose from the seat and left to the front.  The student did as he was told.

He paid for the ramen.  “Thank you, I appreciate it.”

“No problem.” Shin Hye nodded her head.

The student headed towards the door.

“Student! Fighting! You’ll do well with your exams!” Shin Hye cheerfully exclaimed. He turned around and slightly bowed his head.

“Thanks.” He smirked and left outside.

Oh shoot, I didn’t ask her name.. The student turned around only to find the store lights shut off and the doors closed.  Should I wait here to ask?

His phone started to ring. He looked at his phone and a smile appeared on his face.

“What’s up Irene?” He placed his left hand on the nape of his neck.

“Yong Hwa!! Hurry! They’re already closing the school. Baekhyun is trying his best to distract the dorm captain. I’m here by the fourth entrance so you can enter through here.” Irene sounded angry and desperate.

“Oh okay. I’m on my way.” Yong Hwa sprinted his way to the university.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shin Hye stood in front of the dark convenience store.  “See you tomorrow..” She grinned. Shin Hye began to walk home. She was tired and burdened. But she was doing the best she could to save and gain some money.  She looked inside the plastic bag with empty container that had the radishes. “Oh I didn’t ask him his name..no no it's better. I can’t like anyone right now.” Shin Hye spoke to herself. “He was just a customer. That’s it. Focus.”  She sadly looked to the ground as she walked. Life is tough.

Shin Hye would pass by cute boutiques and the only thing she could do was fantasize. How would she look in that outfit? How would it feel like to be in a financially stabled family? Her stomach grumbled. Err, I’m always hungry.  

Girls around her age with pleasant looking uniforms passed by her, laughing and having a good time. That could be me .

Shin Hye yearned in having some friends. Going out to the mall, going to concerts and fan meets with them. But, life. She looked up to the dark sky.

Next year. Next year will be different.      

 

 

 

A/N: DAISY HERE! HEY! I really hope you liked the first chapter! I worked on it very hard! Starting from one year ago to give the story some depth and understanding for the future chapters! There might be a love square hehe.. it also helps for some serious character development~ Please wait for the poster! Im requesting it right now! and the there will be a trailer! so look forward to it!!