Ten

F Minus

“I’m sorry, this is all I could gather for this month..” Shin Hye placed the envelope on the table in front of the drug dealer. Don’t be scared, Shin Hye. Shin Hye tried to keep a straight face. Her palms were sweating.

The drug dealer scoffed. “Shin Hye..you do know you have two months left to pay the debt?” He lit his cigarette and puffed smoke to her face. Shin Hye refrained from rolling her eyes. She stood still trying not to inhale the smoke. “But there is always the second option…” He smirked. “You do have a nice figure. I do prefer s”

Disgusting.

“I’ll make sure to have it paid in time. But I will keep my word if I don’t pay it in time.” Shin Hye bowed her head respectfully. “I will see you at the end of the two months, Mr. Yang.”

“Smile a little, babe.” He stood from his fancy chair and walked towards Shin Hye. He gently caressed Shin Hye’s face as she tried not to flinch while still having the cigarette in between of his fingers . She did not want to show that she was scared. Stay strong.

“Please do not touch me...yet.”

“Yet?” He smirked. “I really like you, Shin Hye. Okay. I’ll stop. Move along. I’ll be waiting.” He smoked a bit more. Shin Hye walked out of his office and the guards led her out the door. Shivers ran up and down her spine. I need to pay that debt. She aggressively kicked the pebbles that were on the ground as she walked to the bus stop. I don’t want to lose my ity to..him. Mr. Yang is a major CEO of a company but lowkey a drug dealer. (The public does not know.) He is greedy for money and saw that he could make lots of money in selling drugs. He has connections from all over the world thus it was easy for him to gain customers. He had also explored Colombia’s tactics with their drug trafficking. Shin Hye knows that she is in dangerous territory...but what can she do? Her father left them the mess. He is a young CEO, about 27 years old. He had lent money to Shin Hye’s father when his company went bankrupt.

 

Hyorin picked her head up from looking at her phone and immediately her eyes spotted Shin Hye outside coming out from Mr.Yang’s headquarters. “What..is she doing here?”

“Is everything fine, Miss?” Her driver asked from behind the steering wheel.

“Yeah…” She took out her red lipstick and gracefully put it on. What relation does she have with him? Her driver had parked inside of Mr. Yang’s headquarters.

“I’ll see you in a few minutes, Mr. Lee.” Hyorin bowed her head.

“I’ll be waiting here.”

Hyorin walked into the main building and went straight to Mr. Yang’s office. The employees know her there so they don’t ask for identification. She opened the door without knocking. Mr. Yang had just finished smoking his cigarette.

“Oh what a surprise.” He grinned at the sight of Hyorin. She walked towards him and gently pecked him on the lips. “Oh..wow are you in a good mood today, babe?”

“Maybe..” She began to twirl her hair with her finger.

“I don’t mean to ruin the mood. But we are done. You bore me, come back to me in a few months.” He walked passed her and showed her to the door. Hyorin rolled her eyes.

“Found yourself another girl?” Hyorin crossed her arms.

“Oh, don’t tell me you already fell in love with me? You know this is all just for show, even though I do believe you are beautiful. But I’m bored.” He opened the door.

“Who is the girl?” Hyorin stood still not budging to move.

“If I told you, I know you would get revenge. Even though a good cat fight is nice to watch. But this girl is...different.” He chuckled.

“Wow, okay then. I’ll see at the dinner party.” Hyorin said sternly.

“Sure..but lay a finger on the new girl...my investment won’t fall through.”

This jerk. Hyorin couldn’t believe it. Brian Yang knew how to play the game and since he is the wealthiest, he has more power.

“Have a good night.” Hyorin faked her smile and left his office.

------

Next Day

“Shin Hye..I’m doing the best I can to pay off my credit card. My boyfriend is helping me.” Her mom tried to comfort her. Shin Hye could only nod her head, she didn’t feel like saying anything to her mother. There was no use.

“I’m almost finished in paying father’s debt.” Shin Hye lied.

“Oh, really?” Her mother’s expression lit up. Shin Hye was content seeing her mother look relaxed. Her mother had been mistreated most of her life and was happy to see her mother in a nice relationship.

“Yes. I hope your boyfriend is actually helping you.” When it came to money business, Shin Hye was curt and serious with her mother. Her mother chuckled. “Of course, Shin Hye.”

“Well, I’ll be leaving to school. Have a great day at work.” Shin Hye opened the door and slipped on her shoes.

“I’ll see you! I love you.” Her mom shouted from the mini living room. She heard the door close. “Ha, always so formal like her father..” she sighed.

 

-

“Junmyeon? What are you doing? Aren’t you supposed to be at the store?” Shin Hye was surprised to see him outside the building.

“I’m here to walk with you to school.” He cleared his throat. Why am I so nervous?..

“Why?” She looked directly into his eyes meaning that she was not in the mood to joke around.

“Because..I can..” He glanced at the ground. Truth was that he did not like the sight of her with her math teacher after school hours. He wants to protect her. “So how was your morning?” He smiled at her. Shin Hye didn’t understand what was happening.

“Why are you staring at me like that? Is my fly open?” Junmyeon quickly covered his fly.

Shin Hye smirked. “You’re being weird. You’re being nice to me all of the sudden.”

“There’s nothing weird in that.” Junmyeon replied, trying to act cool.

Shin Hye squinted her eyes. “Okay then.” They began walking beside each other. The sun warmed the cold streets of Seoul. Stray cats would skip throughout the sidewalks and groups of girls would walk together, laughing and smiling. Shin Hye would try to ignore that sight of girls and try to think positive because she did not want to turn bitter. Everything will be okay.

Junmyeon noticed how pensive Shin Hye was, but he couldn’t tell what she was worried about.

“How’s your classes going?” Junmyeon tried to make conversation. A bunch of girls passed by giggling and making a fuss. Junmyeon looked at them.

“They’re laughing at you because your fly is open.” Shin Hye said with no emotion but meant it sarcastically. Obviously, the girls were fawning over how handsome he was.

“Shin Hye, stop trying to change the conversation.” He responded as he checked to see if his fly was open.

“They’re going well..I just want to finish… by the way can you increase my hours?” She lightly kicked the pebbles on the ground while walking.

“Shin Hye..how much more can I increase? You’re already working full time on the weekend. If you need money, I can give you without a problem.” Junmyeon was ready to be shot down again. His proposition seemed tempting to Shin Hye. No, I can’t. I can’t.

“Thank you but I rather work for the money. Honorably.” She didn’t face him. All of this for the sake of my father.

“I know...by the way..I know it's none of my business. But, why do you need money? Are you that bad financially?” Junmyeon’s eyes glanced to the ground..waiting for an answer.

“It’s complicated..we are here.” Sorry, Junmyeon, I can’t tell you any more details. They were at the entrance of the high school.

“Oh wow, it wasn’t a long walk. Pretty safe..” Junmyeon awkwardly said. Shin Hye was the first girl to ever make him feel awkward and doesn’t have the right words to say to her. It was a challenge, but he liked it. Shin Hye ignored his awkward comment.

“Well..good bye..” She slightly bowed her head and began to walk towards the entrance. Suddenly, she felt a tug on her sleeve.

“Wait, Shin Hye.” She heard Junmyeon’s voice and turned around.

“Yes..?”

“This is for you.” He handed her a lunch bag. “I asked my chef to do this for you. I couldn’t risk making it myself.” He awkwardly chuckled. Shin Hye took a look at the lunch bag. “Go ahead, take it.”

Shin Hye was hesitant in taking it but her stomach started to grumble. She didn’t have breakfast this morning and she only had sufficient just for lunch. She slowly reached for the bag.

“I’ll make sure to give it back to you. Thank you.” She slightly smiled at him which made his heart flutter even more. What are you doing to me, Shin Hye?

She turned back around and continued to walk to the entrance of the school. Junmyeon smiled to himself and turned around to walk back to his store. Hyorin witnessed the whole thing. Is..she dating the CEO Kim’s son? Those eyes,those eyes are somebody that are in love. I need to know..who she really is.

Hyorin quickly walked towards Shin Hye while she was walking to the main entrance of the school.

 

Yong Hwa was observing Shin Hye from the teacher’s room window, was he really her coworker or boyfriend? He looked at the lunch bag she was carrying. The way he looked at her, they are definitely not family. They must be something. The coffee that he was drinking did not settle right in his stomach. Why am I feel so bothered..all of the sudden? He glanced at his watch, only 20 minutes left for first period to start.

“Mr. Jung, good morning.” Irene smiled at him. She couldn’t forget his scent and the way they had embraced few days ago. Yong Hwa turned around, surprised. He didn't know how to react, either formally or informally.

“Good morning.” He returned the smile and bowed. At the corner of his eye, he could see that Hyorin had slightly pushed Shin Hye, which kind of bothered him. “Excuse me...I-irene.I need to do something.”

Irene felt giddy inside when Yong Hwa pronounced her name all awkward like. It’s a start. “Go ahead.” Yong Hwa quickly left the room. Irene smiled to herself and walked towards the window to feel the sun coming through the window to touch her skin.


 

“Hey you, who are you exactly?” Hyorin slightly pushed Shin Hye with her upper body. Shin Hye stared at Hyorin with the most confused and annoyed expression on her face. Shin Hye shook her head and continued to walk. Hyorin aggressively grabbed Shin Hye by her shoulder. “Don’t ignore me.” She sassily exclaimed.

“Stop asking me stupid questions.”Shin Hye hastily responded. Hyorin closely examined Shin Hye’s face. Why does she look so familiar? I can’t continue. Hyorin felt impotent because something in her kept holding her back in hurting Shin Hye further.

“Is everything okay, ladies?” Yong Hwa stood before them. He noticed Shin Hye’s facial expression, she must be worried about something. Shin Hye tried to avoid his eye contact. The palms of her hand began to sweat.

“Yes..everything is fine.” Hyorin faked her smile.

“Good..” Yong Hwa replied but he didn’t even look at Hyorin. He kept his focus on Shin Hye. Hyorin noticed this. “Do you mind? I need to speak to Shin Hye.”

“Uh..yes go ahead.” Hyorin responded. “I’ll leave.” Yong Hwa did not even look at Hyorin. This is weird..and interesting. She walked away.

“Shin Hye..are you okay? Did you sleep well?” His cologne was overwhelming her, he smells soo good. Stop, Shin Hye. His tone of voice was sweet and firm.

“Uhm..” Shin Hye didn’t know how to respond. Something about Yong Hwa makes her want to tell him. No, you can’t trust anyone. “Actually..I can’t make it today’s tutoring lesson. I don’t feel so well…”

“Are you sick?” Yong Hwa was genuinely worried. “Then why did you come to school?”

“Uh..I need to take a test..” Shin Hye lied. Today is her only day that she can go to her grandma..maybe her grandma can lend her money. On the weekends she is busy working. Also, she wants to get it over with as soon as possible.

“Are you sure, you will be able to take the test, if you aren’t feeling well?” Yong Hwa asked. Why I am so concerned?

“Yes, don’t worry.” Shin Hye slipped a small smile out. Somebody..actually cares..?

“Ah okay.” Yong Hwa chuckled, seeing her smile made him feel better. “You’ll do well. I’ll see you in math.” He gently patted her head and walked away.

What was that? Shin Hye’s cheeks illuminated a pastel pink. I’m not some puppy. She touched her left cheek with her left hand that was faintly burning.

 

Irene was watching from the window. She’s not that pretty..the more I look at the Shin..girl. The flashback of her hug with Yong Hwa that day he defended her from her ex boyfriend reappeared.

“I’ve missed you.” Irene wrapped her arms around his waist. “I’ve truly missed you. Why did we have to drift apart?” Yong Hwa had stood still but he unconsciously wrapped his arms around her,embracing her tightly.

“I’ve missed you too.” He has softly said those words. There was silence between them. They only stood in the street, embracing each other for a long time.

 

What am I thinking? She’s just a student. Irene laughed to herself.


 

---

In the Cafeteria

“Are you sure it was Kim Junmyeon?” Dasom eagerly asked.

“Yes, I saw him with my own eyes! He’s so handsome up close. But..I don’t think they are dating..” Hyorin sipped from her water bottle.

“I mean..who would date her? Especially, Junmyeon. She always looks angry.” Sunny chewed her gum.

“She even had that same angry face when she was with him. The disrespect...” Hyorin continued to speak.

“Look at her..she’s going to open up the lunch bag. I wonder what Junmyeon gave her.” Dasom grabbed a piece of kimchi with her chopstick.

“It makes me angry...how can a simple girl like her get food from him?” Sunny was not having it today. “How does she even know him?” she continued to rant.

“I don’t know but there's something weird about her…” Hyorin muttered. Sunny suddenly stood from the table.

“I’m dying to find out what he got her. This is so unfair.” Sunny left to where Shin Hye was sitting.

“She’s just like that because when her family was invited to a dinner party..he was there and she tried to talking to him and he didn’t really continue the conversation.” Dasom rolled her eyes. “Sunny can be a bit annoying. I love her but oh my goodness.” Both, Dasom and Hyorin put their attention on what Sunny was about to do.

 

“Oh what are you having there..Shin Hye?” Sunny snickered while asking. She had sat across from Shin Hye. Shin Hye knew whose voice it was and decided to just ignore it. Shin Hye continued to open the containers that Junmyeon had packed her lunch. “I see you’re having..Italian food? Spaghettis?”

Shin Hye glared at Sunny before taking a bite of the spaghettis.

“What a shame to see food go to waste..” Sunny said with a smile.

Boom.

All of the food that was in the containers all fell to the ground. Sunny had quickly pushed the food off the table.

Don’t get angry..don’t get angry. Shin Hye sighed. “What a shame to see such a dainty girl clean up her own mess.” Shin Hye grabbed the lunch bag and walked away.

“Dainty?..Was that supposed to be a compliment?” Sunny didn’t know how to react.


 

Shin Hye went to the roof of the school. Finally, I can get some peace here. Her stomach growled and protested loudly. But, not food. She sat by the exit door. I’ll just take a nap instead. Since it was mid day, the sun was shining. The weather isn’t that bad. I’ll be fine.

Just as Shin Hye began to close her eyes, a shadow appeared.

“I knew I would find you here.” There was a chuckle.

“Mr. Jung...what do you want..?” Shin Hye didn’t mean to sound rude but her cheeks started to become warm...and it annoyed her.

 
 
 
A/N: SO SORRY FOR LATE UPDATE! I finished this semester and I had a writer's block. Didn't  know how to continue ahaha but I hope you enjoy the longish update! And focus on the positives you did this year and for next year as well! Sending you lots of love!