5. It's not the time yet

City of Love and Despair [Sequel to INAY, IAM]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jennie’s POV

Clothes fitting, practicing the walk on the runway stage, getting my hair styled and my makeup done were the only things I’ve been doing the past few hours. Who knew being a model can be this difficult ? Good thing that I’m a “one time model” and after tonight I don’t have to play the role of a back up model ever again. As the makeup artist was adding the last few touches to my face, I felt the other models’ eyeing me with so much disgust.

[In French]”Aren’t you a little bit short and fat to be a runway model ?”

[In French]”Do you think you can replace Claire just because she’s sick ?”

[In French]”How comes that Mister Know hired a little schoolgirl for such an importat show ?”

Three of the models begin attacking me with all sort of awful and hurtful words. I just rolled my eyes at them and pretend I didn’t even hear them. The show is about to start and I don’t need them to add up to my nervousness.

“Ok, Jennie. Do as I told you and focus. Don’t make a fool of yourself in front of your friends and the fashion critiques.” Mister Kwon came backstage to encourage me. I received even more looks full of hatred from the other models, especially that Mister Kwon didn’t even acknowledge their presence.

The show went on for about an hour, changing outfits every time I went backstage and shoes as well. I had to repeat this process for about five times when finally the show was over, after Mister Kwon held a speech at the end of the presentation. In the audience I saw the 4 teachers that are now also my friends, Lisa and Rosé were there too, along with Jisoo who was wearing a large black hat that covered most of her face.

 After changing back into my normal clothes and as I was wiping off the makeup I had on my face, a slightly short man with a mohwak, dressed in a suit approached me.

“Kim Jennie ? Nice to meet you, I’m Dong Youngbae, owner and photographer at the Eastern Sun Fashion Magazine here in Paris.”

“Um.. Hi.” I shook his hand that he reached out.

“I really liked your presence and attitude on stage, so I want you on the cover of my next month’s magazine. I’m working in collaboration with Mister Kwon for the winter collection of his clothing line and I need a few models to pose for my magazine with the clothes he designed.”

“But I’m not a model, Mister Dong. I’m just here to replace one of the models who got sick.”

“I know, I know. I may be biased, but in my magazine I only work with Korean and east asian girls, and since you are the only asian one between Mister Kwon’s models... you understand me. I also talked a few minutes ago with your friends Park Chaeyoung and Manoban Lisa and they agreed to participate at this project. So, are you in ?”

“Yeah, sure. Why not ?” Why did I even agree to this ? I said earlier that I don’t want to be a model ever again.

“Great ! Come to this address next Saturday at 10 am and don’t forget to take your friends with you. You’ll sign the contract when we’ll meet next weekend.” He handed me one of his business cards before he walked away. What did I put myself into again ? Why am I so stupid and don’t refuse this kind of offers ? Well, I guess I have to be a “model” for longer than I thought I would need to.

 

----

 

“Why did you want to meet me here ?” I got a text message from Jisoo to meet her at the Belleville Park for some reasons I don’t know. I sat down beside her on a bench but she didn’t look at me; she was facing the other way, with that huge hat still on her head.

“You were so gorgeous today.”

“Uh..Thanks..I guess.” I said awkwardly, looking at the ground in front

Please log in to read the full chapter