2. Bittersweet

The Winding Road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai couldn’t even get a wink of sleep tonight. He kept his nose lodged into his baking book the entire time. His mind was throbbing as he turned page after page, over, and over again. His eyes had seen the same recipes at least three times by now, and yet he still couldn't decide on what to make. He didn’t know what he was even supposed to do at this point. He kept replaying the scene in his head like a broken cassette tape.

 

“This is the Culinary arts room, and this is your kingdom!” She practically kicked the door opening strutting in as if paparazzi could be lurking somewhere inside.

“Alright, so uh what did you need me to do exactly?” Kai raised an eyebrow as his eyes jittered across the room. There was a gleam in his eyes that Jessi knew too well.

“Well, I need you and a few other culinary students to cook and bake for tomorrow night’s open talent showcase. I want you to bring out your signature dish!” She clapped her hands and let out a whimper of joy.

“I’ll…I…I can whip some…. thing good up.” He stuttered through as if his vocal cords wouldn’t corporate with him whatsoever.

 

Now he’s just cooped up in his room flipping through recipes on his laptop, phone, books, and anything he could really get his hands on. He cursed at the variety and the fact that he didn’t know what his signature pastry even is! He huffed and threw the book across the room, he pouted his lips in disappointment. He picked up the book, and looked at the Mango Cream Cupcake recipe. In that moment he let his mind wander free, and he didn't let a single thing cloud his judgment on this. 

He scrambled down to Culinary Arts Room, and to his surprise, it was left open; courtesy of Jessi. He quickly grabbed an apron and fiddled with the different baker hats. It took him some time to find his size, but when he did he was ready for action.

He made everything from scratch, he felt himself get hot as he ran around grabbing ingredients. He felt the sweat from his forehead getting absorbed by the cap. The room was filled with the scent of pure mango as he kept making different variations of the filling. His hand gave way a long time ago, but he kept mixing through the agony. He finally made the mango filling just the right amount of sweet. He made a batch with regular butter cream frosting and one with mango frosting.

He came to the decision to just make both and he made maybe a good twelve dozen batches altogether. He had started this process at around one in the morning, but now the sun was creeping out from the horizon and he lay asleep with his back against a still warm oven. The fatigue set in, and he felt the heat was just too much for him to take. He faintly heard the door swing open letting a cold breeze rush in, and he wanted to get up, but his legs just felt numb.

“HEY! OMG THESE ARE SO GOOD!” a fellow with quite slim cheek bones, and wonder filled eyes marveled at the taste.

“What time is it?” he finally got up only to stumble back down, but the boy caught him before he met his demise.

“Your cupcakes are delicious! But you need to take care of yourself, come on.” The boy began to drag him away. He knew the kid couldn't bake any more delicious things till he got better.

“Wait…..I…..I…..I need to make….fresh batches for tonight.” The boy shook his head and dragged him away faster.

“My name is Xiumin, and you can bake as soon as you rest up.” he hissed as he got closer to the dorms. Kai out again, letting the exhaustion win.

Kai woke up in the afternoon and was in an unfamiliar room. He vaguely remembers a kind boy dragging him out of the bakery. He couldn’t believe how he overworked himself, he had burdened that poor guy. He got up out of the bed, but as soon as he did the door swung open to reveal none other than the kind boy.

“Hello, Xiumin? Right?” He could slightly make out what he said his name was, but most the memory was still a blur.

“Yes, it is and you are Kai the Born Baker!” He let the title ring in his room, but Kai scratched the back of his neck.

“Born Baker?” he shook his head, and the kid gave a big grin.

“That’s what they're calling you now most of the culinary students ate all your Mango cupcakes.” He let out a chuckle when he saw the disbelief on Kai’s face.

“I have to go make more batches for tonight.” He rammed past Xiumin, but slim cheeks followed right behind the Born Baker.

 

He looked over at Chen with determination, and his friend knew that look anywhere. He knew Kyungsoo wanted to annihilate that stage tonight. He was already well known around this area, but this would be his first and last year attending Seoul School of The Arts. He had to let this school know he means business. He rolled up the sleeves of his black crew neck, and brushed back his dark hair off his forehead. He was ready to focus now

“Chen how well do you remember the duet we did.” He asked as he chucked him a mic.

“Tonight is your night. I’ll play accompaniment, b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter