3. A Deviously Good Baker Part 1

The Winding Road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai woke up the next day refreshed, and ready to go. In just a few more days their actual classes would start, and word traveled around that the most favored item of last night was his mango cream cupcakes. He would walk across campus and that’s all he heard people talking about from last night. A few girls were sitting out on the grass and he could hear their conversation.

“Hey, those Mango cupcakes were so good! too bad the actual baker wasn’t there.” She whined to her friends and the others agreed.

“Well if the guy wasn’t the one who baked them, then who did?” she questioned, and Kai thanked Xiumin for not mentioning his name. The last thing he needs is for all eyes to be on him.

With that Kyungsoo went back to his room, and spent the rest of the day blissfully scrolling through social media. He'd never had so much positive feedback on his baking, so this is something he might need to get used to. He could hear his mother's voice in his head saying that line he always loved to hear.

 

"Mom, can you tell it me again please?" A young Kai tugged at his mother's apron.

"Alright sweetie, With all the practice. And hands now strong and steady. My pastries blossom."

"What is it called again mommy?" he asked as she was whisking away at some batter.

"It's called a Haiku honey." She sent a lovely smiled down at Kai.

 

Kai snapped out of it feeling himself get overwhelmed with emotions. He felt a tear escape and began to try to focus his attention on his Instagram feed. He could feel a sharp pain in his chest, and his head began to spin a little. He cursed himself trying to calm down, but to no avail. He finally gave up trying to distract himself. "I miss you mom," he whispered to himself, as he decided to just sleep his sorrow away.

Kyungsoo woke up with determination to find whoever made those cupcakes. He slipped on a black turtle neck, some skin tight black jeans, and some black van shoes. He did a quick scan of himself in the mirror and then left his dorms. He walked out and felt the cool autumn breeze tickle his skin. His brain was as empty as a classroom on Saturday. He didn't even really know where to start, but with nowhere to start, he'd just have to start asking someone.

"Hey, do you know who baked those Mango cupcakes from last night?" He approached another student with his stoic face, and the kid tenses up at his cold voice.

"No, I just ate one, I'm sorry!" The guy ran off, and Kyungsoo was confused. 

Why did he run off like that? He had just asked a simple question. Kyungsoo did a breathing check, and then discreetly checked the stench of his armpits. He came to the conclusion he didn't smell. He just decided that it was unimportant, and continued on with his search. The more people he talked to the more people he noticed would just run off after answering, and he just didn't get it.

Xiumin was looking for a place where he could go to be on his own and to just clear his mind. He had this little forest area in the back of his old school, and no one else went there during lunch time except for him. He's always been a nobody, and coming here he hoped that would change, but he still wants a place to call his own. It took some time as he ventured further away from the school campus. The trees around him began to look a bit older, and the leaves on them were darker. The forest got darker, and more trees popped up blocking the sky light. He finally spotted a well-shaded area where tree branches hung low hiding a potential secret spot. He pushed through the branches and realized the spot wasn’t so secret.

“Hey.” The person waved at him with a big grin.

 

Kai was in the Culinary room just baking some simple vanilla cupcakes, and topping them with some regular butter cream frosting. He noticed the door swing open, and small girl struts in. She gave a smile, and Kai gave one in return and continued frosting his cupcake. She continued on to put on an apron, and her own baker hat. She chose to set up at the counter top right beside Kai, and she paid no mind to how uncomfortable the proximity was. He felt an odd tension in the silences, and then it was broken.

“Hello, I’m Jisoo, were you the one who

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter