5. Dulcified

The Winding Road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai and Jisoo got into their gear and got ready for the rodeo. Jisoo was shaking as she tied her apron on, but Kai was in the zone. This was his chance to show just what it means to be a true baker, and he wanted to put to shame that little liar. He put his heart into his baking, but she just wanted to get it easy, and he wouldn’t let her get away with it.

“You guys have fifty minutes, it begins now,” Zhang announced and everyone began to watch intently.

Jisoo’s heart was pounding as she went through each step mentally. She dropped the metal mixing bowl on her way to her desk causing eyes to flock towards her, and instead of enjoying the stares she almost threw up. Her stomach was weaker than Hercules before he went through his training in the Disney movie. She was on the verge of just throwing it all away, but she was sticking it through to the end. She hissed at herself for getting stuck in this situation.

 

“Can I ask for help on something as a friend?” she asked, and Kai gave her his complete attention as he put down his frosting bag.

“What do you need help on?” he felt his insides get all fuzzy. He loved helping people when it comes to baking.

“Can you teach me how to make those Mango Cupcakes you made last night?” She tightened her fist behind her back, but then she relaxed when he smiled.

“Let me show you the recipe I based it on.” He pulled his phone out and handed it to her. “Just use that as a basis, and you’ll make a cupcake just as good as mine.”

 

Kai was trying to think of a way to one up his last cupcake, so he quickly thought of adding an extra flavor. Mango Curd, coconut cupcake, and mango cream cheese frosting. He quickly set to work not even looking at the clock ever. He loved the sound of the egg cracking against the metal bowl, and the smell of sugar filling his table. His fingers tapping around the table as he enjoyed every moment of baking.

On the other hand, Jisoo’s confidence wavered with each passing moment. She heard all the people cheering her name, but all she knew that her jig was up. The principal knew of her lie to the student body, and this was her way of making sure she gets exposed. Jessi was smarter than she thought, and she knew Kai had nothing to do with this at all. His face was also pale when she’d announced the contest. She bit her nail, and it broke under the pressure.

The room soon filled with the sweet smell of Mango, coconut, and vanilla. A single cupcake from both contenders was on a plate in front of Zhang. Jessi gave her headset to Zhang for the whole school to hear. He took a bite of Jisoo’s first, and she bit down on her lip almost to the point of bleeding.

“This cupcake is boring, it tastes exactly like the recipe I’ve found online.” Zhang coldly said, he looked at Kai’s cupcake. It had cute little shreds of coconut on top giving it a bubbly vibe. He took a bite of it, and his mouth drowned in pure euphoria.

“This cupcake is so pleasant, the small shreds of coconut, and the Mango curd. I have no words for this at all Kai.” Jessi took her headset back looking at Kai who cheeks were stained red.

“Jisoo, you’re expelled for taking credit for someone else’s creation.” The whole school roared in outrage, and others were confused. “Kai is the real baker behind the Mango Cupcakes you all had at the talent show, but Jisoo took credit for it all.”

The whole school looked at Jisoo in disbelief, disapproval, and some even called her despicable things under their breath. Her heart sank into the bottom of the ocean, and she got down on her knees. Her legs too weak to keep her upright anymore. Time froze for her, and her lungs collapsed like an old bridge. She was crying her heart out.

Kai's heart dropped, and time froze up like moisture during winter time. He was lost for words, and he felt guilt dripping down his spine, and he ran up beside Jessi.

“Wait, Jessi please don’t expel her.” Kai grabbed at the headset and then put it on. He didn’t really know what to say, but then he gained his composure.

He looked out at the judging eyes and the big crowd that took up the entire Culinary Room. He began his speech. “Yes, Jisoo took credit for something that was not her own, but who hasn’t?” The crowd began to get a little loud,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter