6. Artificial Sweetener

The Winding Road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo peeked into the little theater, and from his view, he could only see Chen’s head. His stride picked up as he jovially sauntered over to his friend, but when the whole stage came into view he saw one boy he couldn’t recognize. The other however made his heart skip a beat, and his face grew a bit pale. His cheeks were the only exception as they were a light shade of red, and he felt his blood flow speed up a bit in his veins. He quickly turned his attention to Chen.

“Hey, Chen, how are you?” he swallowed harshly, and Chen noticed and decided that he’d let his friend ruin his own life.

“Xiumin, I think you left my book in your room.” He grabbed the boy, locking his arm onto his small wrist.

“But I-“

“You forgot you left it there, I know!” He blurted over the confused boy as he sped out at the little theater's exit.

Kai and Kyungsoo were left there, in the theater, alone. Kai was beginning to walk out, but Kai’s body suddenly urged him to walk forward. He stood side by side the kid in painful silence until Kyungsoo finally figured out what to say.

“Hey, I’m Kyungsoo, and I really liked your cupcakes.” he noticed his lips curve up, and he felt his heart dance inside his chest. He stopped it immediately, only for it to start up again.

“Thank you Kyungsoo, as you probably already know I’m Kai.” He created distance between them slowly, and it was his way of trying to get comfortable.

Kai wasn’t fond of attention, and he never felt he needed any. He just loved baking, and it was so odd that all these people were suddenly coming up to him. He didn’t enjoy it, it made a typhoon rage inside his chest. He didn’t want to be rude and ignore them all. He wasn’t the type to ever try to be disrespectful, but at times, he wished he could walk out of these situations.

“I would love to taste some more of your…uh stuff…sometimes maybe?” he felt his palms begin to sweat as he was at a loss for words.

“I’ll make sure to get some to you.” He noticed how the boy seemed nervous which was catching him off guard. He’d never seen someone be nervous trying to talk to him. Kai didn’t think he was that intimidating or special.

He took another moment to analyze the situation, and he had a slight change of heart. Kyungsoo’s eyes were quite bright, and his cheeks looked squishy like marshmallows. He was a bit shorter than him, but he didn’t seem intimidated by it at all. He fiddled around with his shirt’s sleeve as he spoke, and his words were jumbled like looking at a pile of puzzle pieces. His tone was like the way water crashes against sand in the early morning of summer. His words came out in garbled staccato fashion, but the sound of his voice was a symphony orchestra. He was no harm to Kai.

“This is stupid, why am I being so damn fruity?” he screamed at himself in his head wanting to strangle himself.

“Well, maybe because you like him?” Kyungsoo’s conscience came back, and he flipped out at that statement.

“WOW MAN, I LIKE GIRLS, I'M NOT GAY.”

“Have you ever thought, that I don’t know, maybe you are dumb!” He spoke bitterly, and that pushed Kai to the edge.

“I don't LIKE HIM YOU’RE WRONG!”

Kyungsoo was red as a tomato, and Kai looked at him concerned. He’d thought the kid might be getting way too nervous. It made his smile sink a little, and he closed the distance between him and Kai. He hoped that it would help make him feel a little more relaxed.

“You okay?” he asked very sweetly as he gently set his hand on his shoulder.

Kyungsoo’s felt an immediate adrenaline rush, and he felt as if he was fighting off a bear. His ears were hot red, and his cheeks were painted crimson red. He was ignoring how flustered he felt about how cute the boy in front of him was. He kicked all his emotions out like he’d done last time something like this happened. He could remember a girl in a velvet dress, and big frown drew on her face. He’d finally had it, and with that, he went numb, and all he did was cuff his hands tightly. His breathing became uneven, but no matter how much he tried he couldn't calm down anymore.

'It wasn't your fault Kyungsoo." he tried to convince himself that every day.

“No, don’t touch me.” He smacked the other's hand and it echoed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter