1. Starting Off Sweet

The Winding Road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It all started with an acceptance letter to Seoul School of The Arts. Kai’s father lay in bed asleep until a sudden roar of strange gibberish, and sounds of a hyperventilating teen filled the whole house. You could hear Kai’s cries of joy all the way from Africa, and his father rolled out of bed in defeat. He walked out with his fist clenched, and jaw tightened. As soon as he walked out to see the commotion every muscle relaxed as he saw his bundle of joy smiling, a destroyed envelope and papers grasped tightly in his hands.

“Father, I got accepted into Seoul School of the Arts for their Culinary program!" He shoved the certificate into his father’s hand, and his father looked at his dear son. He had glimmering dark brown eyes and a wide gummy smile. He glimpsed at the certificate and nodded as a smile crept onto his face.

“I couldn’t be prouder, and I bet she is also just as proud of you.” He pointed up at the ceiling, and Kai gave a quick nod with a grin.

"Dad, with a chance like this I could get a chance to study abroad! You know that's my dream!" His heart did somersaults in his chest, and he finally calmed down enough to take a seat.

Kai could almost imagine it. He could just see it all the bright and bustling streets in France.  He could just envision himself prancing around the Palace of Fontainebleau. Even better he could take a boat out over the serene blue waters of Gorge du Verdon. He could almost smell the warm water, and feel the sun cast itself onto his skin. He even thought about Italy and hiking around Gran Paradiso National Park, the ache in his feet totally worth every sight. His dream didn't seem so far to him anymore

"Wouldn't that just be a great opportunity for you to study abroad." His father said that with a little shake in his tone, but Kai didn't notice it at all.

His father took a seat beside his son and began to read the letter in his head.

Your son due to exceptional baking skills showcased at school functions, and the recommendations of a variety of staff at his prior school. Has been invited to attend Seoul School of The Arts as one of select few culinary art students. Students are encouraged to come next week, but the school does not start for another two weeks. Any further questions please contact the number that is on the back side of this letter. 

“Let’s celebrate! I know how much you love Baklava, and don’t argue I know how much work it is.” He anticipated his father to try to argue, so he made sure to shut him off before he even started.

He tugged his white apron on and began with creating the syrup. He simmered the sugar, water, cinnamon, and lemon for 30 minutes, then delicately poured it into a jar to let it sit overnight. His father watched his Son at work, he was the spitting image of his mother. From his dark black locks to the way his nose sniffed out every little scent. How his fingers danced around the counter as he waited, and he hummed the same tune his mother would always hum when she baked. 

He spent the rest of the day packing up when he noticed dust had collected on one of his baking books. He picked it up off the shelf and brushed it off. A cloud of dust attacked him causing a small wheezing fit. He managed to open it, and found millions of baking ideas, as well as recipes he's never tried. He saw Mango Cream Cupcakes and Chocolate Chip Angel Cupcakes. He shoved it into his backpack for inspiration later on. His mother was never fond of going by the book,  but it never hurt to consider one every so often. 

Soon the moon came out, and Kai felt a little nervous. What was he supposed to expect from this school? It's an art school, but what will he learn? Will he just bake all day? What if people don't like his baking? What if people don't like him? He fell asleep as his head was filled with endless questions. 

The next morning, he woke up before his father did, and began to start the real baking process. He began melting the butter, and he could almost hear his mother telling him her helpful tips. “Son, remember always gentle, and the more care you give to baking it the better the pastry will taste.” He us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter