Lambana Bar

Jail of Freedom

“My.. my.. You almost got into an accident. I apologize if our floor is too slippery.” He hushed with his deep calm voice at the top of my head. He caught me as he knelt dramatically on the floor to support my weight inside the grasp of his mighty long arms. It was the time when I realized that the atmosphere around me has been cloaked with a scent of roses combined with a hint of musk perfume on the surface.

He held me like I am paper weight. His hands delicately squeezed my shoulder to give me a sign that it is okay to wake up from my embarrassment because he already did his best to cover it up for me. As soon as I opened my eyes, I saw his penetrating gaze looking down on me with such intensity. His lips curled into an alluring smirk and I can’t find a way to stop staring at his pointed nose as our proximity.

The gentleman was in full black suit under a designer branded trench coat which made him appear as the most exquisite of them all; his charisma was increased by his perfectly sculpted face and his bare forehead. I am at loss of words. The notes which have been handed down to me can’t even justify the reality of the inhuman business tycoon standing in front of me. It looked like he entered the door right after I shut it. He was so swift and precise with his actions.

“Eric – at your service my lady.” He said with confidence as he handed me the rose on his left hand. How can someone be as appealing as him thinking that he is nothing but a stranger to me? I shouldn’t have underestimated the head of this organization. Now it is clear to me why there is no such deal that he cannot obtain successfully, his presence is enough to win someone’s loyalty. The underground society gave him the code name that matched his charm: ZEUS.

I voluntarily accepted the flower that he offered. His presence is enchanting. I can’t even focus properly. Is this the reason why there are no available pictures of him? He is so dazzling that camera lenses might break. Ah! Yes. This is the reason why I am here; to have a proof of their existence. Among all of them he is the rarest to agree on media footages.

“I believe you are not here to just have a dinner to kill time. Would you mind if I join you?” Eric squinted his eyes before he gave me a very tempting smirk from his sweet lips. The sound of his voice is very enticing to my ears matched with his gestures – he is the complete bait. My heart is not ready for any of this. I didn’t have any other choice but to distract myself by means of looking away from him.

Lambana Bar ; this is what they call this place of the elite. The ambience is out of my league for a normal citizen. From the details of the ceiling which was composed of woods alternately aligned parallel to each other with glancing yellow lights underneath and the jazz music giving a vibe of luxurious aura to the place, it comforts one’s soul easily.  Each table was built with glass supported by metals with carved Celtic designs on it. The chairs were all made like a personal couch with pitch black leather as its cover and its arms were of wooden bodies. It is inviting, the sense is pulsating yet it is ironically calming and high end.  The smell of alcohol is not evident; I guess it’s because of the amount of roses located at every corner of the bar. It’s like there was an organic garden of that thorny shrub somewhere here.

The owner didn’t leave me unattended but stayed close as he was from the beginning. He leaned closer just to whisper.

“You brave soul, come. I know you are here to ask me something.” He offered his arm to me to a secluded space at the centre of the bar. It shows a staircase spiralled downwards to its basement lounge. I tried to look around and saw the other guests not minding us. Their faces are all covered with masks of different designs and that made me realize that I forgot mine. It was the bar’s main feature and that is keeping the customer’s privacy by means of costumed made façades as they meet here. Even if the person who comes here is a prominent figure, it shields their identity from one another. I on the other hand, unconsciously announced that I am an outsider. I am doomed.

I guess I don’t have any other choice at all. I chose – to be fearless.

His waiting arm didn’t fail. My hand naturally entwined with it and he started walking as soon as I made my mind. He does not seem scary, he rather look young for his age. His serious stance is cold and stiff which makes it hard for me to breathe, it is unexplainably suffocating. I can’t let myself be caught off guard again. I am in his territory.

“Are you here to interrogate me?” he whispered as the space between us gets narrower. He is leaning too close that his breath touched the skin of my neck; it was icy that it made me shiver.

“Why? Are you guilty?” I prodded. I don’t know what made me say it. It’s like I am provoking him to kick me out already. It’s like I was out of my mind. Am I too nervous?

“I’m sad that I can’t answer a wrong question. May I ask you to rephrase it my dear?” he said as he led me to the lonely table at the heart of the room. A set meal and a wine bottle are already waiting for us. I didn’t see this coming.

I did my best to control my expression. As expected from him, he pulled the chair designated for me and I sat as soon as I can. My knees were trembling. His gravity obviously made me weak. I placed my purse on a proper distance where his face can be seen.

 “May I know where the kids are?” I decided to attack first.

“They are very well hidden.”  He gave me such carefree answer and shot me a teasing smile.

“Why did you take them?” His confession somehow heated me up, his face doesn’t even have a trace of denial.

“Why do you need to know?” He reverted and started to pick his fork and knife. He began slicing his steak while his eyes are still fixed on mine.

I lost my momentum. He won. His counter attack meant personal to me, I don’t know if I should admit it.

“Those kids, they are orphans. No one will look for them. I bet nobody even bothers if they are still breathing.” Eric’s alluring smile got replaced with a grim expression as he slowly took a bite of the tender meat on his fork.

I can’t believe that he actually said those painful words. I suddenly wanted to punch a hole on his handsome face and leave it that way until he apologizes to the innocent angels that he insulted. I stood up in an instant and left with hatred. I almost forgot my precious hidden camera but it was a good thing that my memory didn’t overlap with my emotional distress.

Heartless – was the only word that echoed inside my head as I escaped from Eric’s lair. Our van is right across the street when I went out the bar. My driver looked at me with a sigh of relief. I think he is glad that I am still alive after my encounter with the squad’s big boss.

“Can we.. can we go home now?” my driver started the car immediately as soon as he finished his sentence.

“No, not yet. We need more information.” I told him firmly as I began to wear a shirt at the top of my dress and slid into my jeans. My toes obviously missed my comfortable socks and sneakers. I pulled out my back pack and got the pouch inside right away. Now, it’s time for another adventure. 

According to my superior’s notes, today is the day with the highest probability that the six of them will gather together for another kidnap operation. I can’t miss this timing. They always told the public that they don’t know each other but I only need one proof of them meeting up – a picture of them perhaps in one place at the same time.

I don’t care if my mission gets messier. If I lose this chance there will be no next time for me. There is only one orphanage left that they haven’t visited yet. I am sure it will be their next target or if not, I will still pursue them as long as I figure out where the children are.