Strange Clips

Jail of Freedom

I returned to my flat with a white stray cat. I was crossing the road in a rush to get in my building when I saw that it was caught afraid and unmoving in the middle of the busy street. Its blue eyes pleaded to me for help and I can’t abandon it of course.

I know how it feels to be left hopeless and alone. I picked it up and brought it with me. From the way it purred against my skin, it pronounced familiarity – or maybe it is longing to be with someone it can consider family.

She was very ingenious. Right after I opened my door, it hopped off my arm and went around me while rubbing its body on my leg. I guess she is thankful. We are a great match. I really love to have a cat, only that I don’t have the time to go to pet shops to get one.

“I’ll name you Luna – thank you for being that white ball of happiness in the middle of my very dark and stressful night.” I mumbled while patting its fluffy back.

I loved cats for minding their own businesses. I admired how their specie matches perfectly with mine. I am affectionate on selective occasions and am fully not a seeker of attention.

After taking a warm shower, I immediately suit up for my scoop. I rolled on my bed as I get my camera out of my bag to plug it to my laptop. My hands started to tremble in excitement but I don’t know why I am so into it. I started to play the first video file, the one that I took at Lambana Bar.

My excitement crumbled to dust when I saw the video playing without anything to show but pure darkness. There is even no audio at all. I tried to play it again, trying to think that it just got messed up in the middle but no. Is it my mistake? Did I cover it accidentally with my purse? This can’t be – everything was perfect. I know because I even had that container customized for this. I have used that several times and it never malfunctioned like this.

I decided to go click the next one; the one that I took in front of the orphanage. I watch the video in horror as my face reflected on the same black screen that I had with the first one. This is madness! I blinked multiple times and even slapped my face to wake up from this nightmare. What exactly happened?! I unplugged my camera from my laptop and tried to replay it on its own screen – nothing there is nothing to see at all. I held my head in frustration. I’d like to shout and blame someone. I wanted to know how this happened. I never failed on this kind of stunt ever since the beginning.

WHY IS IT LIKE THIS ALL OF A SUDDEN?!

I tried to calm down. I need to.

If the videos are gone, I don’t have any other choice but to go back to the orphanage tomorrow and dig in some more. I can’t ignore this dirty trick. Whatever they did, I will make sure to make them pay for it.

I still have a hold on this. I have a clear advantage even without the video; I will make a way to corner them even if I need to sacrifice my identity. I will wake up the soonest and go back to the orphanage.

I’ll take a nap. I need to relax a bit. I need strength to catch up with my opponents.

Dreamless and fully determined – that was my status when I woke up beating my own alarm clock. My eyes opened on their own even before my phone buzzed beside me. I hurried up and got ready for my early investigation trip. My cat is still sleeping beside my bed and gave her a gentle pat. I opened up a can of tuna for her and put it on my kitchen floor together with a bowl of water. I will be back super soon and hopefully play with her in no time. I’m all set with my favourite oversized grey shirt and ripped jeans. Now I appreciated cutting my hair, I saved so much time in preparing. All I need to do is to tie my sneakers properly to avoid accidents.

I left my apartment with the usual backpack that I bring with me whenever I am going out. It contained my foldable umbrella, wallet, notebook, pencil case, mobile phone, flashlight, camera, mp3-player, swiss-knife and powerbanks. All my necessities are all in and complete now.

I already left the house when I realized an obvious fact. I can’t have pets right now. That beautiful cat will surely suffer if I let her live with me. What am I even thinking? I don’t even have time for myself. How am I supposed to take care of another living thing? I returned to my unit and decided to bring it with me. It was still sleeping when I carried it in my arms.

It’s rather convenient to for me at this hour to get a taxi – the sun is still yet to rise and I will arrive there before breakfast. I haven’t visited that place for a very long time I guess. I needed to see them but I was so busy. I think – this is the same way of hitting two birds at once.

Today, I decided to ask the cab driver to drop me off right in front of the structure where I left last night. I can still remember how I ran for my life for no reason. All of my memories on how they looked at me are still inside my head playing like a loop. They are so – scary.

I went down and called out in front of the orphanage’s gate since this place, this place used to be my home –

“Miss Julie – are you there? Hello! Can anyone hear me? Please open the gates.” I called out at the top of my lungs. I know they will be surprised but I can’t hide my excitement. It’s been a while.

“Chelsea!!! Oh our dear! Why didn’t you tell us you’ll come home? How have you been?! I almost didn’t recognize you because of your hair cut!” a familiar voice responded to me, I am sure she is rushing right now to go greet me with her usual night-gown. The person who kept me warm and safe for so many years since I was a child is still undeniably the sweetest lady that I’ve known.

“I’d like to surprise you! How are the kids?” I abruptly gained awareness of the possible consequence that may dawn upon my beloved siblings. After what happened last night, I can’t afford to accept if one of them will fall victim to this evil scheme.

I observed Miss Julie carefully.  Her reaction is rather pleasant than what I am expecting. She smiled at me and answered calmly just like how she would.

“They are all doing great. Come inside, I know that they’ll be happy to see you. Wait a minute; did you just bring me a present?” She looked at my cat and I knew it already, this stray cat was destined to be hers. Right after finishing her sentence she opened the gate and escorted me to the children’s room. She took my ex-pet from my hands and cradled it lovingly in her arms. The reason why I loved cats is basically because of her. She is a cat lady.

I walked in suspense. I hope I am not late. My heart is starting to have a very uneasy feeling as we reached the door of the children’s bedroom.