3:24

Jail of Freedom

I took it like a prescribed medicine pill and stood up to join him as he submerged into the deep with the rest of his mermaids. It was amazing when I experienced breathing naturally, the only thing that I didn’t expect was when he started to burn in blue flame. It complimented his purple eyes. He reached for me to hold his hand and I noticed how buoyant my body is compared to him. He has dead weight and there I was floating above him while he led me to the exit under the lagoon.

“It’s okay to talk. The pearl gave you that ability as well.” He told me as he looked up with an excited expression.

Now that I think about it, I am still curious why they picked those code names. Did someone assigned it to them or just like their occupation it has something to do with their personalities? The longer I stay here, the more attached I get to them.

“May I know how you decided to assign each other’s code names?” I inquired freely.

He laughed when he heard my question. He pulled me closer to his depth and put on his arm on my shoulder instead. At this rate, I can also walk on the lagoon’s floor just like him. This is more comfortable.

“I am doing this because I would like to talk to you comfortably. It appears more inappropriate if you will not see my face as I explain and in addition to that, you might sprain your neck.” Hyesung’s humor sounded like a damaged one like Dongwan’s.

I just noticed that he was wearing a knitted white pull over; his scent is like that of lilies. They seemed to be all in relax get up whenever they are in their own places. So they purposely dressed up like that during the banquet? That’s new to me. I never thought of any formalities among creatures like them.

“Let’s say – it had something to do with our roles in this enchanted town. Eric as Zeus is a given since he is our leader, the head of all our operations and the best at what he does. He balances all the conflicts and prevents all the damages that can occur in our territory. He makes sure that no matter how often the plates shift phenomenally, which causes our distances to grow far from each other, we get to meet every now and then to catch up.” The beautiful prince started. Now I understand what the banquet is all about.

“Junjin as Hermes; he is the fastest among us. He delivers the latest changes of patterns of the land from the weather, to the frequency of the plate movements and even to the odd weather variations that are happening. No matter how many times the plates shift, his place is the most frequent to be the entrance. That’s why he get to deliver the news when there are intruders. Then Dongwan became our Apollo since – he’s the key for cures and antidotes. His lair is like a laboratory and a rehabilitation centre at the same time. We can always count on him when guests like you accidentally eat forbidden fruits or get bitten by rare animals.” He was explaining in detail like I am no longer a stranger to him. I really appreciate his way of expressing himself. It’s like he is doing in unconsciously.

“Andy deserved the name Hades since he’s in charge of underworld stuff such as managing the balance of our ecosystem by means of checking the population of the organisms’ existence on all lairs. He takes care of avoiding unnecessary deaths too. When a creature is in a life threatening situation, he senses it. Minwoo on the other hand, gained the name Ares since his our war strategist. Vayanhan have unexplored places and at the same time, other elements tend to visit our place for unfriendly matters such as invasion and stuff like that. He gives us an edge when it comes to analysing the best step to be taken.” Hyesungs lips curled with satisfaction as he nodded to himself. His fair skin can’t even be compared to those of his mermaids. His unearthly appearance serves his purpose of being suspected as a royal blood.

“I guess I naturally became Poseidon since I am taking care of this place. I also have the access to all our marine species and I’d say my function focuses more on making sure that strangers like you get home safe without a trace of going back. Walking with me here washes your memory as we get nearer to the exit.” He suddenly confessed.

What he said flustered me. Does this mean –

“Don’t tell me I will forget all of what happened here.” I trembled as I looked at his sad face. I just remembered what Andy told me before. I didn’t put too much attention to what they’re sharing to me and now I am regretting my actions.

“It breaks my heart to tell you this but it’s time to go.” Hyesung lifted his hand and I started to float away from him. My eyes begin to hurt with the water trying to invade my vision.

I gasp for air when I started to suffocate.

I woke up in an instant and found that I dozed off on one of the empty beds of the orphanage. It was still 3:24 am on my wrist watch when I checked. It seemed to be broken. I wonder what time it is. How long have I been here?

The kids are all sleeping soundly. I just realized how much my body missed this place. I normally cannot sleep at home no matter how hard I try but here, it happened like magic. I must have wandered here while Miss Julie is preparing our meal.

“Chelsea – breakfast is done. Come here now and let’s talk for a while before you leave.” Miss Julie called out from the kitchen.

Ahh yes, she was cooking breakfast when I left. Wait, where is my cup of coffee? I’m pretty much sure I brought it with me. I looked on the mini lamp table beside me but it wasn’t there. Maybe I changed my mind earlier and left it in the kitchen. I stood up lazily and wiped the back of my neck, my hair’s wet from sweat I guess. It wasn’t that hot but why did I perspire a lot?

I went to the kitchen and sat on the table as I admire a real breakfast waiting for me. It’s been a long time. Miss Julie the television as a habit. I can’t really understand why she does that but I find it unnecessary since it can get you distracted from eating. But because it was her, I can always tolerate.

I find myself in a simple yet humbling feast. There is no place like home. Miss Julie smiled at me as she watched me eat with joy in my lips. Why does it felt like I am happier than before? Maybe my nap took away my stress. I started to eat the egg rolls made for me when I heard from the news that the missing orphans where able to return to their orphanages safely.

The news revealed that the kids seemed to have gone missing in random different instances due to misinformation and some odd redirections from strangers whom they asked for help when they got lost. The case was closed since they were all safe and was in healthy condition. I feel relieved that everything is finally over and that nobody get hurt.

Something bothered me while in the middle of being thankful but I brushed it off. It was that feeling when you are supposed to do something but can’t remember. I was uneasy. I felt weird and uncomfortable.