Suppressed Flame

Jail of Freedom

Minwoo glared at his lair guardian, he was enraged with such act. Kulog’s pointed horns are in the middle of us right in between our hands that connects us to each other.

“Do you really have to go?” Kulog asked with full of sentiments. I don’t know why he asked me such question. Is this place like Andy’s? Are these creatures longing for a living human to visit too? Seeing its eyes which looked like it was begging made me feel sorry for no reason.

“Yes, please let me enter.”  I answered with empathy on my voice. I don’t want to go yet but I have to.

The creature lifted his head right away. It placed its hand on its chest and to its forehead then spread it to the direction where we should go. It gave me the feeling that it’s allowing me enter the cave.  Minwoo nodded to me in an instant and we kept on moving. I can still feel his anger, he hasn’t calmed down yet.

“How did you decide on which mask you should wear outside?” It was a distraction from his tension. I can feel that his mood suddenly got ruined by that alarming act from one of his guards. I just wanted him to let it go.

“Ahh, that’s interesting!” He answered me like he was waiting for it to, a diversion from his damaged focus. To this he started talking again to me like a very entertaining .

“I think, we picked the areas where we are good. We’ve been always imagining what kind of life we would like to have just in case we are living on the other side. We needed to pick unrelated areas so people of your kind will have a hard time connecting us to each other. Eric took the part of a well-known businessman since his leadership and negotiating skills serves as his advantage. I know that you already witnessed that so many times already. Dongwan on the other hand, chose the line of a philanthropist because that is his nature and it is to give to the needy. After all the while of living alone surrounded with gold, he wanted to share it to the people who deserve it.” Minwoo’s voice sounded better, his fury obviously died while explaining to me gradually.

“Our youngest made some unusual choices too. Both were competitive but they are separated in different aspects. Junjin has been always on physical activities since he had dragons for pets. He always played with them and thought why not be an athlete on the other world competing with people who think so highly of themselves. Andy on the other hand, released the product of his boredom by means of technology. He released some programs and games together with his zombie crew. He needs to always be surrounded by them, since our version of grim reaper is inseparable with his assistants. His company worked 24/7 and rose right away into fame. Hahaha!”He narrated happily. Listening to his laughter made my heart feel better. There is also something in the way he smiles which reminds me of how an excited puppy can give you an antidote to sadness.

“With the same reason with Andy, I can’t move without my pack as well so, I took them with me as a gangster boss. My creatures are harder to conceal than his, so we needed a rather more convenient set up. For Hyesung whom you all thought of with relevance with “royal blood” because of his secretive life and physical appearance is somewhat funny. The reason why he rarely appears on interviews, perhaps wears a fully covered ninja like outfit whenever not performing is because of the reason that he is paranoid to burn anyone. On his down time, he just dives back under the water to avoid trouble.” The way he explained it to me made me connect the dots with their unique characteristics. It was such a great thing to hear this part of them since there is so much more than meets the eye.

We reached the end of the tunnel and the abundant water level explained that it was meant to be a short cut going to the prince’s territory. A boat was waiting for me under the bright ray of the sun. It’s been the first time I saw the sun which means; I would still need to wait until night time to seize the sky line.

“I’m sorry that from here you need to go by yourself. You just need to paddle until you reach that middle part of this lagoon. He will be there, just call his name.” Minwoo apologized but I am in no place to complain. He already did his part.

I shook my head and with an instinctive habit – I pat his head for a job well done. He froze on his position and his mob looked at me with shock. I stopped it all at once and withdraw my idiocy. Why did I even do that?!

“Hmm.. that was pleasant. You’re welcome then.” He responded with a beam on his face. He accepted my gesture positively just how I intended it to be. His cool character infected the rest of his crew and laughed like something comical happened.

I rode the boat and started to paddle as soon as they disappeared from my sight. The water is calm and my confidence is really high to get to the middle on my own. It’s weird that the water became filled with small waves all of a sudden when I started to paddle which cause my mini vessel to sway in an unstable manner. I am ruined I can’t swim. I tried to calm down but I just can’t

I called out Hyesung’s name even before I can reach my critical moment.

“Hyesung!” I heard my voice echoed in the emptiness of the new place where I am in.

“HYESYUNG!!!” I called once more while I am slowly starting to panic.

“Pardon me to interrupt your disturbance, but our prince is still on his sleep.” A lady’s voice told me from the side of my boat. I turned right away to check who spoke and saw a very beautiful mermaid steadying my personal ship.

“I – I’m sorry.” I apologized in an instant.

“I am Asin, the head of the mermaids. You don’t need to apologize. I and the other mermaids need to apologize. The mini waves that you experienced a while ago are cause by the evaporating air from our Lord’s chamber. We should have made your secure from the mini bubbles coming from down below but your arrival wasn’t detected by our crablets. They were supposed to make a continuous clicking noise once someone comes in, but today it seemed not to work.” And she pointed at a group of crabs all lined up on the mouth of the tunnel. They looked like natural sensors. I can’t believe my eyes on what I am seeing.

 “May I know what time he will wake up?” I asked her as I looked at her pretty face. Her long shiny black hair was alternately fixed with locks and braids decorated with different shells. She has a necklace which extends to her covering the wholeness of her chest which is made up of pearls; it matched her silver tail.

“He will wake up anytime from now. Since when the night time shifts in, the water becomes cold. The creatures here will die if he doesn’t fire up. I am begging you to give him a few more minutes of sleep.” She begged.

I can’t say no to her so I just nodded in agreement. It was obvious that the sky is starting to get dimmer again. She was right; I can wait for a little more.

“Let me sing you a song to entertain you while waiting.” Asin told me with such delight. She started humming with her beautiful voice. The moment when she’s finally aiming to start the serenading tune, Hyesung emerged from the water.

“Asin, I shall sing to her. It’s her last day here in Vayanhan.” He politely told her and she stopped and bowed to him as he walked on the surface of the lagoon and bend to where I am sitting.

“It will be night time soon; you need to dive underwater with me, I’ll make sure you won’t be burnt. Here’s a pearl. Let’s have a talk beneath the surface.” He invited and handed me a tiny charcoal tinted black pearl.