Toxic Cure

Jail of Freedom

It didn’t take long until Junjin halted in front of the biggest tree in the middle of the woodland. He refused to let me down as he looked back and saw the persistent vines still after us. He knocked on the door multiple times with the hint of urgency.

“The vines – they are meant to strangle strangers. They are not after me but you.” Junjin whispered. I can feel his hands gripping me tightly posing a defensive stance with scary stems lurking for its prey. It looks like it has its own mind. My companion stopped his knocking business and stood still with the tension around us until one tiny strand came close to my face – scrutinizing my existence like an investigating professional.

It was to our surprise when a bud a flower which resembles like a small pink carnation sprouted on its edge. Junjin’s face dawned into confusion. His thick eyebrows fused together like a clueless kid. He let me down in an instant when he realized it was safe for me to land on my own feet. He looked like a fountain; his sweat covered his face generously like a shower. I felt how warm he was when he let me go, I was instantly cloaked by the coolness of the atmosphere. Now I found the drizzle somewhat helpful for Junjin.

Still humming from afar, the philanthropist that knew from the outside world appears to be riding an elk with a basket full of greeneries on his hand. His mountain backpack hugged him comfortably as he alighted from his ride. The evil vines which chased us started to bloom with various kinds of flowers as he passed by. He must be the owner of this place. I never expected he owns the voice that lured me here.

Dongwan cheerfully waved at Junjin and briskly walked to his house. I can see that there are wires of gold trapped in his fluffy hair, it resembles a leaf crown to be exact. He walked towards our direction and stopped in the middle before he can even get closer to our perimeter. His surprised face reflected horror as he stared at me while pointing his hand towards me.

“Oh?! WHY IS SHE HERE?” Dongwan seemed to realize that I am with his brother.

It was totally uncalled for when a searing pain started to drill on my head. It made me wanted to shout, I almost banged my skull on the ground as I fell on my knees and held it tight like it is going to fall apart. The agony is so heavy that it reached to the point where I get numb and unsteady.  Junjin quickly held me as I shuddered desperately on the ground.

Dongwan rushed to me and without any warnings he reached for my hand and squeezed it with a sad face when he saw the dots on my palm. He started to hum. The pain voluntarily subsided. The instant anguish was lessened like he requested for its silence.

“That was the same thing that I had in my mind when I saw her. I’m sorry Hyung, I failed to keep her away.” Junjin apologized to Dongwan sincerely. It was not entirely his fault instead; I know whose fault it is.

“No, you did a great job. You were able to get here on time before the first dot disappeared. Thank goodness.” He lifted my palm and showed it to the man beside me. I became dizzy as my suffering ended. They helped me to stand up and the door beneath the bark of the tree opened as soon as Dongwan stood in front of it.

“Welcome to my home. Please help yourselves.” The owner of the structure welcomed us and my led me to take a seat on the hanging swing near the oversized oval window of the main area. It looked so surreal.

The interior of his house is gleaming; the fireflies above our heads reflected its lights on the things in his room. It was full of gold – no, to be precise all of his belongings are gold. I noticed that the philanthropist’s ears are like that of an elf, the one that I am seeing on televisions only that his ear’s upper part is naturally pointed and not huge or oddly elongated. There is an evident electric blue ring around his black eyes. I’ve seen him on television for charity interviews but there was no enough justice to show case the way he looks in person. Even now that he is just simply wearing a black windbreaker, a pair of comfortable trousers and hiking boots; I was indeed awestruck and humbled by his visual appearance.

“Hey – stop being rude. Staring to someone is impolite. Who gave you the right to melt me with your gaze?” Dongwan suddenly interrupted my unawareness with his lame pun. Now, that is something that I think is unchangeable in both worlds.

“It’s you who made me go here. You enticed me with your singing voice.” I replied to him with a fact that might probably help me undo everything. After having that excruciating headache a while ago I don’t think I will still live if I will have another episode of it. There are still five to go and the first one almost killed me.

“How can you hear me from the outside? We are in a sound proof place and besides – my song is specific to a person that I have in mind.” Dongwan’s lost with what I said. He is also flabbergasted on the outcome of my unscheduled arrival to Vayanhan.

“Hyung – I need to go back now. My territory got relocated to a further place today. Please bring her to the lair next to yours. Do the explaining too, you know I am bad at it right?” Junjin ended his remarks with a wink and went out immediately. From the closing gap of the door, I saw him transform into a dragon himself. He was ten times bigger than Jackson. The ground shook as he propelled his way upwards to leave the forest.

“May I ask your name?” Dongwan poked my cheek with a playful smile on his face. He looks excited in a way that I cannot understand. I am not even interested with his jokes now that I am starting to get paranoid with the dots on my palm.

“Chelsea.” I replied coldly. I was so tired and am already feeling sleepy as I slouch on the swing. He looked at my irritated expression and laughed like he is enjoying his mini gag.

“Okay, Chelsea please stop worrying now. You are favoured that my territory is next to Junjin’s when you entered our hide out. You won’t suffer anymore with the pain of losing your orange markers. I am the one who can make the pain go away. Here – drink this.” And he gave me a vial with a clear transparent liquid on it.

I’ve seen this in a lot of fictional movies and I am in no condition of saying yes to this right away until he tells me what’s in it. It looks like the usual kind of water that normal people drink from the outside world but how come this one smells like jasmine. I looked at it with a hint of suspicion.

“Fine! I will tell you what it is but you need to drink it. You’re as stubborn as expected since you entered a place that you don’t even know of.” He lost his calm. I am seeing a side of him that was never mentioned in the articles written about him.

“It is my precious tears.” Dongwan’s lips quivered with a heavy feeling after exposing his cure. He let out a sigh and turned his back away from me. It’s like he is avoiding my reaction upon hearing his confession.