Friendly Enemy

Jail of Freedom

“If you are too afraid to come, I can always go alone. I will just take a cab from here.” I feel sorry for him at some point too. I know I am getting greedy right now but I have this annoying attitude and that is being persistent as hell.

I wasn’t able to wait for his answer anymore when I saw Eric’s luxury car alighted from the underground parking area of the bar on our side view mirror. That was my signal. I left our media vehicle immediately and hailed a cab as soon as my foot landed on the ground.

My luck seemed to have expanded a bit; a taxi appeared from the other corner of the street without a passenger. Of course, we tailed my subject’s car until it reached an orphanage, the one which is the farthest; it’s the rarest to be visited since it is buried in the woods and almost near a restricted forest. This will give me the chance to have the biggest edge, a proof that they are really disguising as interested parents for orphans and are the masterminds for the abduction of children.

Right before our cars catch up to one another, I went off nearby to observe behind the shrubs. I saw him alight from his car. I was surprised that he drove it on his own. This is how top secret it was – to the point that he is getting things done by himself.

One by one s get out of the establishment’s door to join him. They were already there before he arrived. They – all looked so inhuman even from a distance. The guide that was given to me was right; there were six of them, now I have to stop breathing loudly so I can focus on their voices. I took out my camera right away to film them.

“Zeus you are late.” The guy whose cat eyes glared at him looked like a prince with a golden hair as his crown approached him first. He hissed as he removed his royal blue scarf from his beautiful face as he checked his wrist watch.

“Poseidon, I have my reasons.” Eric answered him with a short sentence without even taking a glance on his direction. Base from my records, he’s the most elegant of them all. He is the rumoured prince who denied his royal blood to sing on Operas and ditch the media reports with his extremely skilled privacy precautions; the one with the heavenly voice – Hyesung.

“Don’t get so worked up, we are just about to start.” A man made his way closer to Hyesung and retorted calmly. He greeted Eric with an excited smile. He was very welcoming, very warm and cheerful in a way. His puffy hair never changed since the last time I saw him in a magazine, his good-looking smile can still make anyone’s heart flutter from a distance.

“Apollo, did you bring what we talked about over the phone?” Eric smiled back to him and even lifted his hand to mimic a phone using his fingers. Dongwan the philanthropist he was Apollo. I thought it was just a joke when I saw his name on the list. So it was true, his kindness is nothing but just a disguise. He’s the heart of medical breakthroughs in his generation yet a clear poison to the society.

“Of course yes – Hermes, show it to him.” As he said his sentence, the tallest of them all cleared his throat as he passed next to Hyesung. He opened Dongwan’s bag as the owner turned his back. I can’t see the content from my distance but I can clearly see that the man who he called Hermes was the striking Junjin, a famous triathlon athlete who won so many sports competition. He set the most impossible records on all aspects, he is unbeatable.

Junjin looked at Eric with his excited eyes. Even without saying a word, both of them seem to understand each other. It was my first time to see him so relaxed and comical. All of his records kept that competitive spirit coming out from his reactions on all occasions.

“Ares, I thought you won’t be able to come.” Eric asked the silent guy beside Hyesung. Minwoo; the most dominant gangster boss who doesn’t look like he wasn’t in a good mood responded with a nod, his thick brows fused together with a bothering indication. Among them all, he is known for his instinctive drive to fight first before rationally thinking hence the fact that he is a known protect the people who are important to him specially his group. He will not hesitate to punish anyone who harms the weak. This is ironic.

“You know brothers will always be brothers. I cancelled my appointment for us of course. Hades also did the same thing.” And he pulled the man whom I only knew about yesterday. Like the others, I am not expecting this to be true too. Andy – the young CEO of a well-known IT Company, the person who looked the most fragile of them all yet the most competitive in his own industry. He looks like he hasn’t slept yet as he let out a yawn secretly. This is a new thing; nobody knew that they are blood related to each other. After all the constant denials of their relationship this fact is the most surprising of all.

“This will be the last one right?” Andy asked Eric and ended his sentence with a deep sigh. I am not totally sure why he looked not pleased about it after what they’ve done this recent month.

“I guess so.” Their leader answered casually, like he is still going to continue if their mission here will not suffice their intent. How could he? He is so – cruel.

“But why did you bring a guest without letting us know?” Minwoo asked and looked towards my direction as he tilted his head terrifyingly. 

I trembled in fear and lowered the lenses of my camera as our eyes meet right through it. I wasn’t even able to move because of shock. I stopped breathing. Is this the end of my journey? They can slaughter me here anytime they want.

“I can smell her from here.” Minwoo took a step forward going to my direction his eyes still fixed on the bush where I am hiding. I can’t comprehend how he can tell exactly where I was. With the tiniest gaps of the leaves, he is looking at me like there is nothing separating us. It was like the tall shrub is completely transparent.

“Shhh – don’t mind her. She’s mine to handle.” Eric stopped him by means of holding his brother’s chest and pushing it lightly backwards. He smirked and nodded his head for them to go inside and ignore me.

“If you say so – let’s go inside. We still have a business to finish.” Minwoo conceded and his back right away.  It made me shiver when all of them looked towards my direction in sync. They are all aware about my presence. I feel the need of evaporating; my soul wants to escape my body desperately. If I can only teleport I will but – I can’t. It was like they intentionally wanted to scare me and left without any word to follow Minwoo.

Eric on the other end took a last glance over my direction and winked at me. Is this a trap? It was like he is inviting me to dive deeper on this mess but I am more clever than that. I chose to leave the place as soon as their silhouettes disappear from my sight.

I ran away as if I am running for my life. The memory of their faces, it is haunting me. They did it on purpose. Acted like I wasn’t there when they are totally aware of what I am doing. I held my camera tight and dashed to the side of the road and looked back nervously to check if someone is following me. The pitch black background made me more anxious. I am showering with cold sweats and for the record this is the first time that I ever panicked like hell. A light from a passing car distracted me. It was a cab – my only chance of escape.