Scary Pets

Jail of Freedom

It is still early and they are all in dreamland as of this moment. I asked Miss Julie if I can take a peek on my innocent angels. I will be quick. I won’t wake them up. She held my face with her hand and opened the door for me. She knows me that well.

As I walk on the isle that separates their tiny beds, I counted them one by one in my mind and tried my best not to miss anyone. They are all complete, comfortably snoozing like babies. I went out right away after confirming that they are all safe.

Miss Julie invited me to join her for breakfast as our routine whenever I drop by for a short visit. It is a must to do a catch up even if it is just for a little while. I am just sad that I am here for work and not for a proper quality time.

“Can I ask you something?” I probed while she is preoccupied in preparing our coffee.

“What is it my dear?” She responded eagerly. It’s like she is waiting for me to begin. She handed me a tea spoon as she pushed my brewed coffee towards me together with a creamer bottle.

“May I know – if you had recent visitors here except for me?” It sounded rather suspicious from my point of view. I always become tactless when I am with her. I am always comfortable and carefree. I guess it already became a habit.

“There is no one other than you. I guess our place is still far from civilization for people to actually drop by. We will always be their last option but I don’t mind. ” She answered me casually. This doesn’t add up, it makes no sense at all for me after seeing all six of them enter the gates of the orphanage.

“Hmm, are you sure?” I tried to press some more. I know Miss Julie and that is why it is so strange. I know she is telling the truth but how can I explain their obvious presence here last night?

“You are the only one. Haha! You know very well how forgotten this place is especially with the kind of location that we have. Who else do you think will pave their way thru the forest just to reach us?” Miss Julie returned me a question that I can answer very well.  I gave up the conversation. What’s important is I have verified that the kids are safe.

Now the only thing that I need to think about is how I will get back my evidences. I can’t afford to start from scratch again. I stood up from my chair and started to roam aimlessly outside the kitchen and went at the backyard of the orphanage to breathe some fresh air while holding my cup. I took a sip from it while spacing out and the taste brought me back to an unsolicited nostalgia. This place used to be my playground. I used to belong here until I reached my legal age and left it with high hopes in my heart. 

Before I can even go inside, I heard a lovely singing voice. I can’t explain exactly what the song is about since the melody sounded so faint like it is going away somewhere. I closed my eyes as I tried to listen more. It’s very calming, very relaxing but it sounded so sad in a way. I tried to follow where it is coming from, my feet started to move on its own as I chase its fading hum together with the wind like a swift whisper.

It didn’t take long when I accidentally bumped into something and which made alerted me to instantly open my eyes and from the looks of it, I am sure that it is a person, someone that I already saw not too long ago.

Junjin, the outstanding athlete towered over me as he turned to check what bumped in to him. I was confused. I needed to gather my thoughts as soon as I recognized his handsome godly face. He was stunning upfront even with his chocolate brown puppy hair which is slightly damp with sweat. I didn’t expect that the magazines that I’ve seen with his picture are too underrated, seeing him this close gave me the opportunity to appreciate his perfect nose bridge together with his thick well-trimmed eye bows. I noticed his heart shaped lips were quivering with words that he can’t explain too. He looks different from last night.

Since it was dark, I had a limited view of his wholeness. Now that his skin is exposed fairly because he is wearing a sleeveless black shirt and a rather comfortable ash grey jogging pants, this sportsman stood like a heartthrob in the woods searching for his prey however something is not right. His eyes – his eyes were lime green and had those slit pupils of a reptile. It looked too real for a high class contact lens.

I almost tripped when I stepped back as he glared towards my direction. I steadied cautiously in front of him. We were in a silent restrained battle. I don’t know what to say. I am still yet to recover from this state of shock.

“YOU AGAIN?! HOW DID YOU GET HERE?!” He was rather furious and jumpy when he recognized me. As I looked at him and tried to think of something to say – I saw something behind him. Something not of this world, I saw a giant lizard covered with black shiny scales peeping from his back, its wings are playfully sweeping the ground as it stared at me.

My hand was trembling as I covered my lips and tried not to gasp from what I saw but Junjin seemed not to care at all. I took another step back and the creature tilted its head with curiosity until it launched a swift jump towards me. It’s so unreal, I can feel its warm breathe while I stood defenceless from it – I closed my eyes with a hope that it will not harm me. I tried so hard not to move a single inch until I felt its scales rubbing against my cold hands. It was strange – it appears like it wants to be patted like a pet. I its head lightly and the being seemed to be satisfied.

“Podo! What are you doing?! Why – why are you so friendly to her?” Junjin called out to the creature but it didn’t pay attention. It ignored him like it can’t hear anything.

 It’s a dragon. It lied down and rolled over the grass as it looked at me with dreamy eyes. I am still – LOST. If this is a dream, I want to wake up now. I can’t handle this absurdity. Oh my.

“Hey – stop it. Aren’t you going to answer my question earlier?” Junjin snapped. I somehow stopped in an instant and tried to gather my thoughts.

“Am I dreaming?” I asked stupidly.

“No. You’re in a big trouble now.” He answered with a worried tone.

“I don’t understand. I was in the orphanage. I was – wait where am I?” My mind is about to burst with a lot of questions that are insanely impossible. What have I got myself into?

The tall lad advanced his way towards me and looked at me suspiciously as he bent slightly to match my sight. Now that our eyes met closely, I can verify that he is not wearing contacts at all. I am still holding the cup of coffee on my other hand and he withdrew it from me before he casually threw it away from my sight. It was then when I realized what he was about to do.

His moved in a closer proximity towards me and naturally tried to sniff my scent from above my shoulders. I didn’t move as usual – a tiny mistake might lead to disaster now that our cheek to cheek gap is so close for our skin to rub on each other.