Korea's Newest Boy band.

Operation T.R.E.E. 2: The Cult

It was just another day for the record company shelf fillers. Brand new boxes came in this morning and they had to go through the rigorous and backbreaking not to mention boring task of filling the shelves in with the newest records to arrive in the market. The male fillers carried the boxes by the threes or more as much as their strength could, setting them down on the floor, opening them and seeing the artists' faces on the cover of the CDs. After that, they take them by the bunches and fill the shelves, only to watch them get emptied by teenage girls or old people who still believed in the goodness of the CD even during the age of downloading and iPhones. They did this everyday each time a new act or an old act trying to reinvent himself released a record that no one would buy. 

"Eh! Who listens to these anyways?" complained one employee as he angrily stacked the CDs on the first rack.

"Do they even buy these CDs?" asked another. Well that employee has a point, though. Nobody ever listened to the CDs that they bought, especially the youngsters. Most of them little monsters just buy these CDs to increase their favorite artist's chance of winning the Sales of the Year award in the prestigious award ceremony at the end of the year. They buy them because their idols tell them to buy but when it comes to listening, it's the Internet they rely on. Saved them money, but record companies were going bankrupt. 

"Hey, who you got there?" asked the first filler. The second one showed him a CD of a boyband with 13 members all posing like they were some kind of Italian mafia in suits with bows and neckties. Some had shot glasses others had sunglasses. Who would wear sunglasses inside a cool studio?

"I don't know. Some pretty boy group again." 

"We've  got so many of these. Why do they look like Al Capone's sons?" mocked one. The other laughed at his comment because it couldn't be any more true.

"Say hello to my little !" one joked, mocking Al Pacino's famous line. The former hit him on the head with the record and said,

"Capone, not Pacino." 

"What's the difference? They're both gangsters!" 

"Pacino's an actor, Soo Bin! Actor!"

"Ah screw it! They all have the same names!" the shelf filler named Soo Bin just continued the task of filling the shelves in to be able to finish early. "What's their name? Super Junior?"

"Is this what the girls are into?" asked his friend.

"I have no idea, yo. I don't got no little girls."

"Yeah. Pretty soon them little wussies will be running their asses over here tryna get a copy of this. We're gonna sell big again, Soo Bin!"

"I doubt it. You'll see this along with the defective motherboards and spit-stained monitors when this boyband hits 30."

"You might see em today. These boys look 30!" the two shelf fillers joked about the newest boy band in Korea, obviously not being able to relate to the hype that's been going on.

But to most young girls nowadays, this was no laughing matter. It was a matter of trying to control your spazzing. 

Super Junior, the very latest boyband to come out in the Korean music market, appealed greatly to girls upon their debut. This badn compposed of 13 boys with different personalities and talents that complimented one another very well when they made music together. Their songs were catchy and hypnotic as described by some and their dances made those who were born with two left feet move to the groove. Their handsome faces made girls aged 3-53 (approximately) swoon. Their charm and funniness were captivating and their endless appeal was showcased even more through TV shows. Despite having just debuted, they were already able to garner a respectable amount of recognition as well as awards but the award that their fans really wanted them to have was the Band of the Year and/or the Sales of the Year which is why the record companies were getting ready for the big fangirl wave that was about to attack. 

Though popular amongst women in general, their appeal was even greater to young girls. Young girls who were in the adolesence stage, easily attracted and easily deceived. Most girls at this age started claiming their favorite member or members as their boyfriends, husbands, fiancees, refusing to answer any suitor and opting to just forever gaze at the beauty of Super Junior. For those who were way too obsessed, they acutally believed that one day they and Super Junior would be together and it was just a matter of stalking, waiting, and perpetual support. To them, Super Junior were gods. After all, they could make those who couldn't sing belt and those who couldn't dance bust a move. Miracles, aren't they?

Before everything else, let us get to know the members. The fangirls deemed that it was important to get to know the members if you were planning to join their fanclub, ELF as they would call it. Despite the great contrast between the real meaning of the name and the size of the fanclub, they still insisted on this name, stating that it stood for Everlasting Friends. Cheeky and pathetic, but true. [no offense to ELFs out there. I really write this way.]

So since they insisted on getting to know the members, let me show you a copy of the CD and point them out to you. One by one by one.

The mysterious and shy looking guy right here on the very far left is Kim Kibum. Shy looking and shady at times, he appealed to girls using his quiet boy charms. He was one of the rappers of the group and though his face may be turned to the side, you can tell that he got a face and you know why the girls tripped a lot over him.

Right next to Kibum is a not so handsome but greatly appealing member named Eunhyuk. ELFs called him monkey because he danced well but I don't really see the correlation as I don't think monkeys dance well or maybe because he looked like a monkey. I don't mean to be insulting but if it insults any of you then sorry but Eunhyuk is the least handsome member and I think right now I realize why he is being called monkey. Because he's skinny and looks like one. No harm intended, just bluntness.

The  next one is a really unexpected one. Shindong here was the fat member of the group. It's kinda unusual and abnormal because fat guys aren't supposed to dance or at least be seen as attractive but boy this guy roped in the girls real fast. While I don't see anything special about him besides the fact that girls said he danced well and was one of the rappers, I'd say that his tactics were pretty smart. His and Eunhyuk's. Stay with handsome boys and be thought of and seen as handsome though you are ugly as .

This guy. Oh man. This guy gives me the creeps. Before talking to you, I interviewed several ELFs and tried to remain as discreet and polite as possible (you have to give me credit for my effort. It wasn't easy!) and they said that this guy was similar to Kibum not in talent but in personality. Both were quiet and shady and mysterious. His name's Yesung and he was the main vocalist of the group. They said he sang well, I said okay. This guy really creeped me out because here in the picture if you look closely, it's like he's peering through your soul, trying to eat you up. Like a maniac or a Norman Bates-esque murderer. Though ladies loved to have a piece of him, I wouldn't want to check in to his motel. 

Finally, someone pleasant looking. This man here was said to be the most handsome member or at least one of the handsome members of the all handsome member boy band (which I totally disagree with). His name's Donghae but girls call him Fishy. I don't know why, though. He doesn't look like a fish and I could swear that my fish fillet in all its crispy and deep-fried glory would make a more eligible bachelor than him! He danced and sang well with a lot of charisma and was fashionable that's why ladies loved him. I bet if I toss my halibut dish around it would rope in more fangirls.

This tall gentleman right here with a moon-like face but Herculean features is Siwon. Most fangirls thought of him as a god becuase, well, he looked like a god. Like he was sent down by Zeus from Mt. Olympus, born from the...I don't know, the bark of an oak tree? Not to insult him or anything but since Venus emerged from sea foam, I was thinking that Siwon could emerge from something that symbolizes strength. 

Right here is Hankyung or Hangeng. He is known as the Chinese member of the group who was one of the main dancers and knew martial arts and cooked well. The die hards told me that his specialty was the Beijing Fried Rice and they called him the Fried Rice prince or some like that. 

The androgynous member's name is Heechul. He's another one of the pleasant looking ones because he looks like a girl. I thought he was gay or Japanese or both because of the way he acted. Eh. I don't know what to say about him. I just think that he's gay. I don't know what his position in the group is. 

I'm going to skip this member. A die hard standing right next to me told me to "save the best for last." Sheesh. Cliche .

Sungmin is the name of the guy next to the leader. Sungmin, according to the ELFs was really effeminate but a good singer and dancer who incorporated martial arts in his dance. Also, he loved pink. So what is this? Elle Woods meets Bruce Lee?

This guy right here is Kangin. Another fat guy. What's good about this boy group is that they give the fat guys hope. They show fat guys that just because you're fat doesn't mean you don't have a shot at showbiz. You do. And this is proof. They said that this Kangin or Raccoon or Korea's Most Handsome Guy was someone to be feared because of his strength and temper. It shows. I'm shaking.

Ryeowook. That's the name of this young man seated next to the leader. I would like to call him Rumplestiltskin (did I spell that right?) because he strongly resembles the dwarf in Shrek. Just dye his hair red and tease it up, you have your very own Rumple (to shorten it). I was told that he was one of the main vocalists and they even made me hear a sample of his voice and my God! GOD! GOD! GOD! I would love to get a cochlea operation. I think it just broke!

Okay. This really made me laugh. The guy at the end totally looks like a druggie! Kyuhyun's the name. He looks like a druggie and I'm not joking. He was one of the main vocalists and they said that his voice was really good but I really can't help but cackle at the sight of his hair that looked as if it hadn't been washed in years and his lanky appearance which only solidified and justified his druggie appearance. He, like Yesung and Kibum, look like candidates to play Norman Bates or Hannibal Lecter if ever a remake of "Psycho" or "Silence of the Lambs" would be in the works.

Finally. The leader. The leader's name is Leeteuk. Girls gushed over him when I asked them about him, saying that he was cute and caring and loving and all. I don't see it, though. He looked snobbish, stand-offish and cold. Plus, he looked gay, too. 

The shelf fillers had already finished filling in the shelves in time for opening. The Super Junior standees and posters had already been put up before the clock could even strike 10.

"Open for business." Soo Bin turned the sign from closed to open. The clock struck 10, the fangirls passed by. You know what happened next...