I could learn to love caramel

Roommate

How did Qing smell so good? I was going crazy.  He smelled expensive and looked the part. His suit was clearly tailored.

I felt a bit shabby in comparison but he assured me I looked fine.  Our ride to the restaurant was quite tame. Although Qing went on excessively into detail about ice cream flavors he detest and how he is allergic to peanuts.

I was unsure why the hell he kept rattling on about it.  I figured he must greatly love ice cream and was nervous about meeting his father.

When we pulled up to the restaurant I tried not to look to awed but I couldn't help it. I come from a humble back ground I could never afford to the plates here if I saved for two life times.

When we entered the decadence was over the top. A quartet was playing a beautiful classical melody, there was a fountain flowing and the wait staff seemed to be floating between tables. I felt horribly out of place.

We approached a table that sat man that was clearly Qing's father. He held the same regal bearing as his son and his features though aged were still handsome and similar to his son's. I bowed low in greeting to his father while Qing did the same only to rise and shake hands afterward.

"Father"

I was unsure of what I was suppose to do so I stood there off to the side watching the exchange. These two seemed more like business associates than father and son. 

"Father, this is my new room Feng Jian Yu. He is the new dorm mate I was telling you about."

I was a bit shocked that Qing had mentioned me to his father but then I figured he was trying to avoid living like a pauper and stay in his good graces by saying he had a new roommate with good grades.

"Hello sir, most just call me Dayu. It's nice to meet you."

Hid father just eyed me up and down making me nervous. I could feel beads of sweat forming at the collar of my shirt and rolling down my back. Then his face broke into a smile and wave a relief washed over me.

"Dayu is it? I have heard you are now tasked with keeping my lazy progeny in line? Have a seat and you can tell me how you faring."

We took our seat and waiter appear out of thin air filling our water glasses and taking our drink orders. I chose to stick to sparkling cider as I have no tolerance for alcohol of any kind. Once our beverages arrived Qing's father began asking how our arrangement was working out.

"Qing tells me that you two are good friends and that you have taken pity on him because I have threatened to cut him off financially. He says you are an excellent student with strong morales and promised to motivate him to be a better student. You even have the same major! Tell how are you grades."

This lying snake! Since when are we friends we hadn't so much as spoke or even crossed path before I found him in my room unannounced and uninvited! Friends my ! He made it seem as though I offer of my time and services of free will. As though I had not almost had mental breakdown in Quishi's room a week prior. I looked over at Qing and his face was as passive as always. he was looking at me over his wine glass expectantly. Why should he expect anything of me?! 

"My grades are well above the required 3.0 I have to maintain for my scholarship and I offered Qing help only because I knew with a little push he was capable of doing so much on his own."

His father glanced over at his son then back at me as if to say are you sure this kid is the one we discussing. I decided to continue just to put the subject to end.

"Just this evening I had planned on tutoring him and expected it to linger well into the early morning hours. He might have even had to skip your dinner date but he had already study the material so well on his own that he answered every question that I threw at him correctly."

His father looked at me doubtfully. he looked as though he wanted to say more but decided against it. he took a long sip of his wine and stared long and hard at his son.

"I should have taken your money from you a long time ago if I knew you were this capable."

It was then thankfully that the waiter chose to show up with menus. I was having a mild panic attack about the prices when Qing's father said he would treat. I still only ordered a simple smoked salmon with blackberry glaze and fresh greens. While we waited for our food to arrive his father decided he wanted to know more about me.

"You said that you have a scholarship. Is it something you have to have?"

I wasn't sure what his father meant by this question. 

"Sir?"

"What I mean is did you take the scholarship because it was offered? Would it not have been better just to let someone who really needed it have it?"

Then it clicked. His father assumed I came from money like Qing because Qing claimed we were friends. Because why would his son befriend a the poor kid of a single mom. I put down my fork and took a sip of water my mouth was suddenly dry. 

"I had to have the scholarship I wouldn't be able to attend college otherwise sir."

Qing's father looked slightly embarrassed. He cleared his throat and glanced at his son who was looking at his father with a stern almost disappointed gaze.

"I apologize Dayu..I didn't mean to come across as snobbish. I just assumed.."

"Father simply assumed that I must be so superficial that I choose all my friends based on their financial status. Clearly my lack of character depth must spill over into my ability to wisely choose friends."

Qing added this comment without so much as looking up from his plate. He continued to slice through his steak and chew methodically. His father on the other hand turned red starting at the neck with it creeping up until I thought his head would pop off.

"Did I ever once say that?! I simply misjudged the situation! I apologized. The boy is clearly intelligent and deserving of the scholarship if he has manage to make a lazy lump like you study even a little!"

My mouth dropped opened and almost hit the table. This is not how I imagined the rich and refined acted in public. Apparently they had familial disputes and tantrums as well. 

Qing wiped his mouth with his napkin and placed it on the table.

"Thank you for dinner father but I think Dayu and I will go get our dessert now. Dayu let's go."

I scrambled out of the chair. I bowed quickly to his father and thanked him for dinner and followed Qing out of the restaurant. 

Once in the car Qing sped away before I get my seat belt fastened

"Slow the down! Are you trying to ing kill us?! You may have nothing to live for but I am young and handsome have many young women left woo!"

Qing glanced at me out of the side of his eyes but he did slow down and mumbled an apology. I have no clue what the hell just happened back there and it was probably best not to ask just yet. We had been driving just a few minutes when he pulled over in front of a store.

"What are we doing here?"

He turned to look at me smiling like a wolf. 

"You promised me ice cream. I aim to collect on what I am owed."

I had completely forgotten I had promised this overgrown toddler ice cream. I roll my eyes and get out of the car. it was just ice cream why was he so dead set on having it tonight we could have gotten it anytime.

"Alright let's go"

We enter the shop and start looking at the many flavors of ice cream. Qing chooses a simple vanilla cone while I get a blackberry caramel swirl.

"I am not a fan of caramel"

Why he felt the need to say this I didn't know.

"Lucky for you you're not eating it."

"Hmm" he says.

We walk back out to the car and sit on the hood and continue eating our ice cream. Or I try to until I notice Qing staring at the side of my head.

"What is there ice cream on my face?"

I start to wipe at my lips with a napkin. Qing just smiles.

"No, I think I am going to collect the rest of what was promised."

I was confused.

"What else was-"

It happened so fast I couldn't have stopped it. His lips touched mine. They were warm and soft but the sudden contact still made me gasp. Then when his tongue still cool and sweet from the his ice cream inside my mouth I sighed.  I ing sighed. And just when I went to lean into the kiss he pulled back and went back to eating his ice cream leaving me sitting there breathless and shocked.

"You know I could learn to love caramel."

This ing bastard. I hate him.