Well, ... I love him.

Roommate

Quishi  POV

 

“So, you want me to fix this how?”

 

I was trying to fulfill my role of resident advisor, mediating for two freshman roommates who are not getting on well, when a thundering knocks fell on my door. There was only one person who knocks like a two-year-old having a tantrum when he comes to see me. Rolling my eyes at the sound, I excuse myself from the quarreling freshman and answer my door.

 

“Yes, Dayu I am coming! You know I have other responsibilities other than --,”

 

I come up short as I open the door and met with 180 cm of tasty Wang Qing, instead of Dayu.

 

“Well, hello. May I help you?”

 

I give Qing my best flirty eye smile, despite knowing he seems to favor Dayu squishy bits to mine, I refuse to pass up an opportunity to tempt such a handsome man.

 

Qing gave me an emotionless once over and looked into my room where the two silly freshmen sat awestruck.  I sigh heavily at their expression. The Wang Qing effect is staggering.

 

He brushes past me and addresses the underclassmen.

 

“Get out.”

 

The shorter of the two bugged eyed freshman squeaks and runs for the door immediately. The other looks at me helplessly.

 

“But we were-”

 

She barely whispers out the statement before Qing interrupts her.

 

“I said get out. Come back later.”

 

She makes a very undignified squawk and gathers her things. She pauses next to me on her way out to make one last plea.

 

“But sir what should I do about my roommate?”

 

I dart a quick look at Qing, taking note of his darkened expression as he watched the girl. I give her a slight push out the door but give her the best advice I could before closing the door.

 

“Stop taking your roommates and she most likely won’t be trying to set you on fire for stealing them.”

 

I shut the door and turn to meet Qing’s stare. I stroll, more of a sashay really, across the room and seat myself daintily on the sofa.

 

“ I assume this is about Dayu and your strange outing with his mother?”

 

Qing gave a slight nod and sat heavily on the armchair across from me.

 

“What do you want from me? I have nothing to do with your...arrangement.”

 

Qing sat back on the sofa and crossed his legs.

 

“I need you to make Dayu understand my good intentions.”

 

I was flabbergasted.

 

“I will do no such thing.”

 

Qing gave me a hard look, clearly not expecting a refusal. How dare he think he could mistreat my friend and come barging into my room demanding I plead his case for him. Dayu is completely validated in thinking this Neanderthal was an .

 

“Why would I lie to my best friend? You have done enough of that for the both of us. I won’t help you hurt him further.”

 

Qing seemed agitated with my words as he shifted forward to glare directly into my eyes.

 

“I have done nothing but been good and caring to Dayu. It is not  my-”

 

He didn’t get the chance to finish his words as I slapped him across the face. I hadn’t even realized I had left the sofa but I was angry. His head snapped back and he rose to his full height to tower above me. If Hell is a real place, demons must vacation there because the darkness that was radiating from Qing’s eyes, was more terrifying than any depiction of Hell I have ever heard.

 

He grabbed my arm and pushed me back on the sofa before caging me in with his arms on either side of my shoulders. I could feel my heartbeat in my throat I was so scared.

 

“Why the did you slap me?”

 

I briefly wondered how he could say that so calmly as he stared so murderously at me, but then I remember I was backed by righteous anger. I refuse to back down, Dayu is my friend.

 

“Because of this! Look at yourself! You can’t have your way and you don’t like the situation so you bully me in my own home!  Why would I defend you to Dayu? You are proving every word of contempt he has spoke about you true. You don’t care for him, you manipulate and demean him every chance you get. Dayu may be a rough and jagged pearl but there is beauty still to be seen! You are nothing but pyrite, simple fools gold! Glistening and gleaming but useless still the same! He has every right to hate you! And as his dearest and closest friend, I despise you too! Now get out of my ing house!

 

My chest was heaving with the exertion of yelling into Qing’s now startled face. He was still leaning over me staring but his expression was dazed.

 

“Take your hands off of me and get out of my room.”

 

Qing gave me an odd look, but backed away and turned to exit.  

 

He paused with his hand on the doorknob.

 

“Is that what Dayu sees when he looks at me? A shiny worthless pebble that does nothing but hurt him?”

 

I was confused as to why he seems shocked by the revaluation. He should know better than anyone how he behaves.

 

“Yes.”

 

Qing gives a quick nod and walks out of the room leaving me rattled and unsure of what to do.


 

Qing’s POV

 

I returned to my room with a strange and heavy emotion sitting on shoulders. I am used to people making judgments and misunderstanding my actions and I have never struggled under the weight of said misunderstandings. I brush them off, disregard them as irrelevant having to effect on the daily countenance. But, with Dayu, I want him to understand. I want him to see me for who I am under the veneer of my status.  I thought I had been doing well with showing him how much I care for him. I have tried to make him better as a person. My method may have come across as strange but it effective and fun for both of us. I pampered his beloved mother and she gave us her blessing to be happy and well together. I did what a good person does, did I not?

 

The situation was making confused and doubtful of myself. That was something I have never felt before, self-doubt and worry are foreign to me. I am Wang Qing heir to the Wang empire. I am intelligent, gracious, and handsome. I don’t understand why Dayu is so vexed with me.

 

I was standing in our shared living room having an existential crisis because some lower class scholarship student rebuked my affections?! That is not something I do!

 

I stormed over to Dayu’s door but stopped when I heard whimpering on the other side. Standing frozen in place I listen to the sounds of Dayu crying in his sleep. Soft sounds of choked sobs filled with sadness. Another strange wave of emotions washes over me. Is this guilt? Do I feel guilty? For what ensuring that his mother is well fed and showering her with gifts? Why should I feel guilty?!

 

I slowly push his door open, hoping the sound of the door clicking open didn’t wake him. Dayu was still flushed from drinking, his cheeks covered in dried trails of tears. There was enough light from the window that I could see his tears clinging to his eyelashes like morning dew.

 

I just stand and watch him toss and turn in his sleep, mumbling incoherently. I didn’t want this for him. What type of man would I be if I wanted the person I loved to be this miserable because of me.

 

Wait...loved. Do I love Dayu?

 

That’s completely absurd. I snort to myself. The sound startling Dayu enough that he almost woke from his drunken slumber.

 

Why would I love this tiny, loud peasant? I admit I have...affections for him but love is too strong a word for what I feel.

 

I admire the way he is a dedicate and filial son to his mother and his determination to do well despite his status. His begrudging optimistic outlook on his future is ridiculously endearing. His spastic and harshly truthful way of speaking is most definitely entertaining. There are many qualities that Dayu has that I love.

 

I run my fingers when I hear that word echo through my mind again. I was making myself frustrated I just need to lie down. As I turn to leave Dayu to his sleep when his mumbles in his sleep.

 

“Qing why do you do these things to me? Why do you always hurt me?”

I look at Dayu once more noticing he has kicked the blankets off in all his tossing about in the bed. I drag them back up to his chin and tuck them around him. This miniature terror even scowls in his sleep at me. I smile just a bit and brush his fringe from his eyes and  Before I could stop myself I lean forward and kiss that teardrop mole.

 

“I have never done anything that I thought would hurt you intentionally Dayu.”

 

He grumbles in his sleep and turns away from me. I sigh, sitting on the floor next to his bed to watch him sleep. The light from the window just enough for me to keep a watch over my love.

 

My love.

 

Well, ... I love him.