nine

Are You Sure You Won't Regret?

Months later…

“Oppa!” Sohye’s face lit up once she saw Wonwoo walking in the crowd. She excitedly ran halfway to meet him, earning a protest from the make-up artist. “You’re here!”

“Well, of course. It’s a job, after all.” Wonwoo chuckled and apologized to the staff on behalf of Sohye. Sohye gasped and followed suit. The make-up artist just laughed and pulled her back, gesturing for the older boy to follow.

“You two always end up working together.” she remarked as she sat Sohye down again. “Is one of you pulling some strings here?” she teased lightly.

“Ani, unnie.” Sohye said. “They’re just amazing coincidences.”

“That’s right, noona.” Wonwoo agreed.

“It seems too numerous to be saying that now.” the older female replied. “Although, I suppose this job truly is one.”

Today, they were going to shoot a CF of a restaurant. Its theme and motto was its timeless taste and brand so they were going to shoot several scenes from when the characters were kids up to an old age, but still eating food from the brand. Wonwoo and Sohye were selected coincidentally due to them having the same looks as the other actors.

“I’m excited and nervous about this one.” Sohye faced the older boy once they were done with make-up. “Aren’t you?”

“I am at every shoot.” Wonwoo replied as he inspected his self in the mirror. “But why are you?”

“Well, because for the first time, we’re gonna be… lovers.” She said shyly.

Wonwoo stopped short. She was right. The theme today was that the food’s taste was as eternal and timeless as the love of the characters. The reality just dawned on him and now he could feel the tip of his ears burning.

“T-That’s right.” he finally blurted out. “We were usually cast together as siblings and such.”

“Calling you ‘oppa’ today has a whole new meaning.” she added nervously.

“R-Right again.” he cleared his throat. “Think you can pull it off? You know, being in love?”

“I think it won’t be too hard.” she said softly as a blush crept up her cheeks.

“What?” Wonwoo asked with wide eyes. “What’s this? Sohye-ah, are you in love with someone?”

“Well, yes. For a while now.” she confessed and looked away from him. Her heart pounded against her ribcage as she uttered those words.

“Who is it?” he asked curiously.

“I’m not telling you!” she said playfully and stuck out her tongue. Wonwoo scrunched his eyebrows.  “But I can tell you that he’s been taking care of me for a while now. He looks so cold on the outside but is, in fact, very warm and kind on the inside. He is very talented but still never fails to work hard for his dreams and I really like that about him.” she smiled sweetly. “And he’s very handsome!” she laughed.

“Oh.” Wonwoo said plainly. He saw how her face lit up in adoration while she described her crush. They spent so much time together that he had forgotten that she was a normal girl and that she also had the capabilities to be in love. Seeing how happy this mysterious guy made her, made him a bit… mad.

He didn’t know why, though.

“That’s good.” he patted her head and went to look at the set, leaving behind a confused Sohye.

-

“This isn’t working.” the director sighed. “Yah! What’s wrong with you two?! This is the 12th take!” he yelled irritatedly.

“We’re sorry.” Wonwoo and Sohye chorused and bowed together.

The director ran his hands through his hair. “You know what? Let’s take a short break. I need to cool off. And both of you! Work out your differences! I thought you were better than this, aish!”

The two apologized again and watched as the director walked out. They stood in place awkwardly until Wonwoo also walked away.

“Oppa!” Sohye cried after him. He ignored her. “Oppa, wait!” she caught up to him and held his arm, effectively stopping him.

“What is it, Sohye-ah?” he said emotionlessly.

Sohye bit her lip. “You’re angry at me.” her voice quivered.

“What?” Wonwoo said in surprise. He faced her and her hold on him loosened. “I’m not! What makes you think that?”

“You are! You’ve been avoiding me this whole time!”

“I wasn’t avoiding you.”

“Yes, you were! Every time I talked to you, you always answer dryly then go somewhere else. And even when we were being briefed and told to practice you never looked at me anymore.” she countered.

 Wonwoo blinked. Did he really do that?

“Was it something I did or say?” Sohye asked. “Or do you not like to work with me anymore?” Her face fell at the thought.

“What? No!” he exclaimed worriedly. “I wouldn’t have this any other way! Don’t think that, okay?”

“Then, why?” she stared into his eyes, searching for an answer.

Wonwoo became flustered. “I-I don’t know. Look, Sohye-ah, it’s not you, okay? It’s me. I just… I don’t know. It’s just that I’ve been distracted and thinking and…” he trailed off.

He rubbed his face in frustration. He didn’t mean to treat her that way. It’s just that ever since their talk earlier he’s been uncomfortable around her and his thoughts were muddled. He didn’t know what to make out of it.

Sohye watched him confusingly. He seemed to be at war with his inner self.  She didn’t know what was going on but it was apparent that she wasn’t at fault in any way, which relieved her.

She took a deep breath and pursed her lips. “Anyway, oppa. Can we please make up now?” she held his hands. “We can’t work together if we’re like this. So can we please go back to the way we used to be? Hm?” she looked at him hopefully.

Wonwoo’s heart spiked at their interlocked hands. He could feel his ears burn again, but seeing the earnest look on her face brought him back from his tumultuous thoughts.

“We weren’t fighting in the first place.” he sighed. “I’m sorry, Sohye-ah. I shouldn’t have dragged you into my mess.” he apologized sincerely. “Forgive me?”

“Okay.” she smiled. He returned it just as wholeheartedly.

“Break’s over! Actors, back to the set!” a staff yelled through a megaphone.

“Let’s do our best now, shall we?”

-

Notebooks and textbooks were sprawled all over the table. Sohye and Wonwoo sat across each other doing their own separate thing.  The set-up was that they were in the same grade and were doing their respective homework in the restaurant they were endorsing.

For the first time, they were equals.

Every now and then, Wonwoo snuck a peek at her, as the script instructed. He was to be distracted by her and Sohye was to do things prettily.

Acting isn’t even necessary.’ Wonwoo thought.

Soon, the food they ordered came and they became excited at the sight of it. They pushed away the schoolworks and prioritized the food in front of them. They ate heartily.

Sohye finished hers quickly, way before Wonwoo did. She looked longingly at the food he still had on his plate and he noticed it. He chuckled before spooning an amount of it and positioned the spoon in front of her.

Her face lit up brightly at his offer and she eagerly took the food in.

As intended, some food didn’t end up in but on the area around it. He chuckled again as he took a napkin. He forced his hand to steady as he leaned over the table to wipe tenderly.

Then their eyes met. And time stopped.

Wonwoo was caught by surprise at the amount of emotion she conveyed. It was as if she genuinely loved him and felt loved by him. His breath hitched in his throat as he drowned in her orbs.

Forget butterflies. A whole goddamn zoo rampaged in him.

They stayed in that intimate position for a few seconds before Wonwoo realized he needed to move for Sohye to act.

She happily mouthed a thanks and picked up her drink. She leaned back and looked outside, pretending to watch cars pass by and scenes unfold. She tucked her hair behind her ear and smiled contentedly.

Wonwoo watched her, completely entranced at everything she did. He felt so warm inside just by having her in his presence and seeing her happy in his. So many emotions bubbled within him, but he now knew what rose above all. He now knew why he was badly affected earlier.

He realized he was in love with her. Acting be damned.

-------

I want to ask something, though. Would you like to read more stories of them throughout their relationship? Some fluff, things like that before we crash back to drama lol. Am I being carried away? I just really like how this is turning out. Hahaha.

Hope you liked it! If you did, tell me about it! Bai~