one

Are You Sure You Won't Regret?

The phone rang.

Kim Sohye had just arrived at the dorm and was more than prepared to throw down all her stuff and jump in her beloved bed without even changing. But the blasted phone rang and as much as she wanted to throw it as well, she couldn’t. Especially when she saw it was from IOI’s manager.

“Yeeees?” she said tiredly.

“Oh Sohye! Good work today!” The manager cheerfully said back which Sohye replied a simple thanks to. “Guess what? The next guests of Star Show 360 was just announced!”

“Oh, really?” Sohye said in mild surprise. “Who is it? Uhh… I really hope it’s someone I’m familiar with.”

“Don’t worry. That’s not even a problem. Because the guests are the most popular idol group right now! I bet you know them whether you wanted to or not.” The manager said with a light laugh.

“Is that so? Somehow that makes me more anxious manager-nim.” Flashbacks of the last episodes made her cringe. She practiced being a better MC since then, but she couldn’t deny that she has a looooong way to go. The more famous the guest, the more starstruck she became and she couldn’t concentrate as much as she wanted. Which always—always—ended up with her being teased with the main MCs of the show. But would you blame her? Being suddenly hired as an assistant MC and hearing that the first episode was with EXO… she was proud that she didn’t faint on broadcast.   

“Don’t be! Because you’ll be meeting Seventeen!”

 

 

 

*clack*

Se…ven...teen?

Him?

 

 

“Yeoboseyo? Sohye? Are you still there?”

Sohye snapped out of her daze and hurriedly picked up her phone.

“N-nae! I’m here, I’m here.”

“Okay. So—“

“Uh, manager-nim!” she cut off quickly. “Forgive me but I’m really tired today. Can we talk about this tomorrow? I’m really sorry, manager-nim but just this once! I’ll make it up to you by working extra extra hard at practice tomorrow. Thanksbyeseeyou!”

 Sohye practically smashed the end call and gripped her phone tightly. Her chest was heaving heavily and her heart was being constricted painfully. A million thoughts ran through her mind.

Why?

Why does it have to be them?

Why does it have to be with him?

“Sohye-ah.”

“NAE?!”

“Omo! That surprised me.” Yoojung, her friend and co-member of IOI suddenly appeared in the doorway in a full facial mask. She lightly patted her heart. “What’s wrong? I heard you come in but you haven’t gone back to the room at all. Were you talking with someone? Wait wait wait, are you okay?? You look like you’ve seen a ghost! You’re really really pale!”

“Ah, jinjja?” Sohye replied. “N-no. I’m fine. I was talking to the manager and I was a bit surprised with her news that’s all. No worries, hehe.”

“Really? What was it about?”

“Just… about Star Show 360…” she trailed off nervously.

“Jinjja? What’s up? Do you know who the next guests are?”

“Ah… yeah. But I’ll tell you later. I’m really tired.”

“Oh? Sure. You’ve been practicing for the whole day again, after all. I get it. Don’t forget to wash up then sleep, okay?”

Hearing that chased a bit of Sohye’s anxiety away as she chuckled. “Am I really hearing this from you, Yoojung-ah?” Sohye said with a teasing smile. Among the members, Yoojung was the one who slept anywhere, anytime without going through the sacred idol ritual of washing up.

“Yah! I’ve changed! Doyeon wouldn’t get off my back if I didn’t.” she pouted cutely.

“Sure suuuure.” Sohye laughed as she waved her chaotic thoughts away.

----------------

“Hyung!” the maknae barged into his older brothers’ rooms excitedly. “Have you heard already?”

Mingyu and Wonwoo looked up at the same time. Mingyu from his phone and Wonwoo from a book he was very immersed in. They shot a glance at each other and then at Dino who seemed a tad bit excited about the news he was about to share.

“What is it?” Mingyu asked curiously. “Did Woozi finally grow an inch?” he said playfully.

“Pfft. Don’t let Woozi-hyung hear that.” Dino laughed quietly.

“Too late. Mingyu, I’m picking up my guitar!” Woozi yelled from the hall.

“Yah! That’s too much!  It was a joke!” Mingyu yelled back while Wonwoo and Dino laughed at the now pale-faced Mingyu.

“What is it, Dino?” Wonwoo asked after a few minutes.

“AH! I almost forgot!” Dino clapped his hands. “Manager-nim said that we’ll be guests of a show and we’ll be filming a few days from now!”

“Aigoooo, was that it?” Mingyu said. “That’s now new at all, Dino. You seem too excited.”

“Really? I thought it was worth letting you know immediately.” Dino’s face fell.

“Which show?” Wonwoo was the one who asked again. He wanted to get back to his book quickly, but seeing how enthusiastic the maknae was got him curious.

“Ahhhh. Star Show 360 the one with Leeteuk-sunbaenim and Tak Jae Hoon-sunbaenim. The one where Nayoung-noona and Pinky-noona went to last week!”

“Ohhhhh.” Both boys said as recognition dawned on their faces.

“But hyung, doesn’t one of IOI assist host that show, too? I remember someone like that. Don’t you?” Dino said.

“Ah yeah! Kim Sohye! She’s the girl I see often at the salon.” Mingyu exclaimed.

“Exactly! That’s why I wanted to tell you, hyung! Seems like we’ll be working with her.”

Mingyu then nodded in acknowledgement. He and the maknae continued discussing about the show and the girl Mingyu sees and greets often—on most mornings before work. They recalled her performances along with the older female trainee of Pledis, Nayoung and Pinky. The topic then shifted from there and the boys continued talking.

Meanwhile, Wonwoo’s ears couldn’t catch any of it. He stared into space and in obvious disbelief.

Her…

No way…

“Hyung?” Mingyu called Wonwoo. “Is something wrong?”

“A-ah, n—“

“Whoa! Hyung, you got really pale! Are you sick? Should I call Coups-hyung?” Dino exclaimed worriedly.

“Ani, ani. I’m fine. I just got a bit surprised. I’m not sick. I just feel like…”

Ugh, .