twoteen

Are You Sure You Won't Regret?

Sohye kept glancing at the white paper bag nervously. Then she looked at the clock in the practice room. Then at the bag again. Then at the clock.

9:17. The boys were late, but Sohye felt relieved.

She had woken up that night in the car in a tightly wrapped blanket she’s never seen before, her hat clutched tightly in her right hand and a slightly sweaty left hand. Her memories were hazy, maybe due to exhaustion, as she couldn’t instantly recall what had happened.

Then she saw her wounded knees and dirt-stained clothes. Then it all kicked in.

Oh, yeah.’ she realized. ‘I was chased. Then attacked…’ She shuddered at the traumatic memory and her eyes welled up slightly.

Then he found me.’ She smiled in relief. ‘Then he treated my wounds and we talked…

And then…’

‘And then…?’

‘And the—‘

She gasped loudly, utterly shocked by how bold she had been. She didn’t know where she mustered the courage nor could she find a reason for her to actually demand him to hold her hand. Her whole body heated up, from the tips of her toes ‘til the ends of her hair.

‘We held hands…!’ And they even held hands until their hands became sweaty… Sohye could die in embarrassment.

It’s been a few days since then, but the feeling was still fresh. She had avoided contact from him ever since, ignoring his messages and asking the other IOI members to cover for her. Except she couldn’t avoid today. Today was their collab practice and the day she had to stop being a wimp. She looked at the paper bag again.

The door swung open harshly and banged against the wall, making everyone jolt in surprise. A panting Dino smiled sheepishly as he stood at the doorway. He bowed in apology before a swarm of boys pushed past him.

“Sorry, we’re late! Jihoon wouldn’t get up and kept lagging behind.” He said pointedly.

“Yah!” the smol bean cried out in protest. “That’s not true!”

“Yes, it is!” Seungkwan retorted. “You even made Wonwoo-hyung angry. He woke up really early, you should be ashamed.”

Woozi grunted in response.

The girls laughed at the exchange and stood up to greet and talk to them. Sohye followed sluggishly, grabbing the paper bag but keeping her eyes down as she blindly bowed to anyone in front of her. She kept her head down until nobody stood in her way anymore. She slowly raised her head as she scanned the room.

Her heart was pounding in nervousness, but slowed slightly.

‘Not here?’ she thought.

She turned her body as she searched the room for the second time.

Where is he?’

“Who are you looking for?” a baritone voice said behind her.

Sohye froze. Her heart spiked again as it ran marathons against her ribcage.

She turned her body back to the doorway stiffly. There, clad in all black training clothes, cap and specs, is the one guy who she had been waiting to see, hoping she wouldn’t see, disappointed when she didn’t see and regretting she can now see. Her mind went blank and her stomach let loose a whole frickin’ zoo.

Wonwoo wore a stoic look, but his eyes shone.

“N-No one!” Sohye’s voice squeaked. She blushed in embarrassment.

“Really.” Wonwoo said. He was mildly hurt by her not contacting him even once and wanted to show it. But he had to fight an urge to smile just at the sight of her.

“Yes… really.” she trailed off and tore her eyes away from him and back to the floor.

Wonwoo was silent. Sohye could feel his stare prick her skin and she squirmed uncomfortably.

“Excuse me!” she yelled. She couldn’t take the awkward atmosphere and pushed him roughly aside. Wonwoo stumbled back and held onto the doorway. He watched in surprise as she dashed down the hallway.

“Yah! Sohye, where are you going?!” he yelled after her. She didn’t answer.

Wonwoo grumbled under his breath and ran too.

---

“Sometimes I wonder if our dance practice really is for dance practice and not for those two to be… flirting.” Mingyu said with distaste.

“Yah!” Pinky cried out. “Oppa, leave them be! We wouldn’t even be having this dance practice if not for them!”

“I never said I would!” he answered defensively. “And what do you mean this practice is for them??” he asked. Pinky only smirked. “Noona!” he turned to Nayoung. “What is she talking about?”

“It’s a secret.” Nayoung said plainly.

Mingyu looked shocked. He turned to Jeonghan. “Hyung! What are they talking about?”

“I don’t know~” he sang.

Mingyu furrowed his eyebrows and pouted. He turned to the leader. “Coups-hyung!” he whined.

Seungcheol sighed. “Mingyu. Just shut up and watch.”

--

“Yah! Kim Sohye!” Wonwoo yelled as he dodged staff and scattered objects.

Sohye weaved through effortlessly and ran as fast as her legs could take her. She was glad she was an athlete and was used to running. Her mind was blank as the only thought driving her was getting away. Away from him.

But of course, she was no match to a guy’s speed.

“KIM SOHYE!” his voice boomed as he grabbed hold on her arm. Sohye was forced to stop and pulled harshly toward him. “Why on earth are you running away?!” he asked irritatedly.

They had arrived to an empty hallway on another floor. Sohye stood silently as she avoided his eyes and held her breath. Her heart was pounding loudly in her ears and she knew it was more than just the sudden running session. She pursed her lips.

Wonwoo clicked his tongue. “Sohye, isn’t it unfair enough that you never answered my messages and calls for the past few days? But now you run away once you see me??” his tone was dripping with annoyance and it was not lost on her.

“I-I’m sorry.” she mumbled.

“And you won’t even look at me.”

She bit her lip. She took a deep breath before finally having the courage to look up. To look at him.

“That’s better.” he smiled slightly, enough to disarm her and make her more nervous. But before she knew it, it was gone and replaced with a frown. “Now care to tell me what the hell was all that about?”

She gulped. “I’m sorry.” she repeated.

Wonwoo narrowed his eyes. “Why?”

“I-I was…” she trailed off as she could feel a blush creeping lightly across her face.

He didn’t say anything.

Sohye grunted in frustration. “Look, just take this!” she ed the paper bag to his chest and looked away. “Thank you for that night. Thanks for saving me, treating my wounds and…” she paused as a memory flashed in her head. “…t-taking care of me. Thank you and I’m sorry... for not contacting you after.”

He raised an eyebrow at her, but took the paper bag nonetheless. “And?”

“Sorry for running.” she grumbled.

He nodded in approval and released his hold on her wrist. He looked inside the bag with slight expectations, but only saw the blanket he wrapped her in. Disappointment spread in him.

“You’re welcome.” he said plainly. “But, I don’t think I’m fine with just a ‘sorry’.”

“What?” she looked up in confusion.

“I think I deserve more than a sorry after being worried sick and confused for days and being ran away from the moment you see me.” he said pointedly. “It hurts, you know.”

She blinked rapidly, trying to process what he was trying to say. “What do you want, then?”

“You tell me.”

“Huh? How would I know what you’d want, Wonwoo?” she asked incredulously.

“I’m sure you’d know, Sohye.” he smiled.

“Um…” she racked her brain for an answer. “Is there a book you want?”

“No.”

“Clothes??”

“Not really.”

“Do you want a hamburger?”

“…No. Seriously, Sohye?”

“Yah! It’s been a long time, but I know hamburgers are your life.” she laughed.

He rubbed his face in frustration and decided to throw out a hint. “What I want is something only you can give.”

Sohye gasped in shock and took a step back defensively. She narrowed her eyes disapprovingly.

Realization hit him. “Kim Sohye!” he cried out. ”It’s nothing like what you’re imagining! Get your head out the gutter!” he chided her.

“Then what is it you want?!” she asked disbelievingly.

“I just want your time! For god’s sake, Sohye.” he rubbed his face again.

“Time?” Sohye repeated. “You mean...” she suddenly got nervous.  “…for how long?”

“For a day.”

“Wait. So… y-you want a…” she felt her blush returning upon realization.

“So you finally get it?” Wonwoo asked teasingly. “What do I want?”  

“Y-You want a… date.” she answered with embarrassment.

“Perfect.” Wonwoo grinned happily.

Seeing his smile knocked the breath out of her. Her whole world was brighter and she became weak on the inside while shy on the outside. He had asked her out before this, she knew. But why did this time seem so much more special and precious? It felt more real and more promising.

But, really, all of that from a simple smile, she had admitted defeat.

“So, you’re going to grant me a date. As thanks.” he continued.

“As thanks? I thought this was as an apology?”

“That’s gonna be another date.” he said cheekily. “An apology for not contacting me.”

“What?” she laughed. “And how about the apology for me running away?”

“That’s going to be another one.”

“That’s a lot of dates.” she remarked as she smiled.

“And there’s going to be a lot more, you’ll see.” he said with a tone of promise. He took a step toward her and took her hand gently. “But first, Sohye, let’s focus on our first.” he advised as he drew circles on her hand.

The atmosphere around them turned light and bubbly as they both shared a smile. She realized why this moment was much more different than the last. Why it was so much more special and precious. It was because it was only sinking in her now.

They’ve let go of their agonizing past and moved on from it. They were starting afresh and clean, ready to overwrite all the pain and pride and cowardice with better and happier feelings. They were beginning with a new perspective and new thoughts and new experiences but with the same love and emotions they’ve felt for each other years ago.

They were really trying again.

“Okay.” she replied. “I can’t wait.”

------

YES FINALLY I KNOW IM SORRY PLZ DONT KILL ME *hides behind woozi*

I've been swamped with school and the works and ofcourse real life. The only time I can ever write properly is the time between after schoolworks and before sleep. But still I'm sorry for taking long.

Both our stars' birthdays are coming up and I'll do my best to update in time for it! 

I hope you liked this chapter and accept my apology T^T If you did then please leave a comment! Thanks. >w<

Bai~