five

Are You Sure You Won't Regret?

S o h y e

The moment I heard the lock click, my legs gave out.

I finally let my mask crumble. My tears burst out as the dam within me could no longer hold back the amount it suppressed. I squeezed my chest tightly, trying so hard to soothe the pain. It was constricting so much that I had difficulty breathing. I muffled the sobs that were coming out as my body and mind broke down.

Why’d he have to appear? Why’d it have to turn this way? Of every story that could be acted, why did it have to be ours?

I thought I was strong. I thought I’ve already moved on. I thought time healed me enough.

But it turned out I haven’t actually done much healing.

It drove me insane having to pretend I was fine after that skit. I felt like I’ve been through that hell of memories that I wanted to keep locked. Everything rushed back into me. Actually no, everything felt so fresh as if it just happened. Like the past year wasn’t long enough to scab my wounds. Instead, it bled again.

--

I don’t know how long I was a mess on the floor. Half an hour? A whole hour? I really don’t know. I couldn’t think straight. I couldn’t see straight. I couldn’t feel anything except the anger and pain he’s refreshed.

My phone rang in the darkness, but I couldn’t care less who it was or if it was important. I wanted to ignore it, but then it beeped continuously, which alarmed me a bit.

I dragged myself to it, not bothering to stand up. With blurry eyes I saw it was a missed call, a few messages from my manager and plenty from the IOI group chat.

-Manager-nim-

6:07 p.m.

Sohye-ah! I heard you’ve finished already, why didn’t you text me? I’m coming to fetch you now.

---------

6:13 p.m.

Sohye-ah. Why aren’t you answering? Anyway sorry, I made a u-turn. The other managers called for a meeting so I’ll be going first.

---------

6:20 p.m.

I’ve asked someone there to bring you home along their way. Just wait ‘til the filming ends, okay? He’ll probably go look for you so you’ll be fine. Don’t be scared he’s a good guy. Good work today.

I sighed as I read her messages. I understood her reason, but I really didn’t want to have to deal with a stranger and act polite because I am obviously not in the mood. But it’s not like I had a choice.

Then, I looked at our group chat.

Pinky: I’m hungry

Somi: so am i

Chungha: somi youre not even doing anything go cook if youre hungry

Somi: im lazy unnie cook for me pls~

Chungha: aish this kid. Pinky where are u now?

Pinky: im out with nayoung unnie at our company

Yoodung: sohye the manager said youre done! good work!

Doyeon: good woooork~ <3

Somi: goodwork sister~

Nayoung: Good work, Sohye! Pinky and I are done here and gonna eat so since youre still out wanna come?

Somi: unnie aren’t you gonna call me too?

Chungha: somi theres food here

A small smile formed on my face as I’ve read the chats. I typed my thanks and replied an affirmative to Nayoung-unnie and Pinky-unnie responded with a cheering sticker. Usually this would put me in a good mood, but I didn’t really feel like going out or talking to anyone at all. But I figured atleast this way I don’t have to have a stranger bring me home.

To be honest, I wasn’t completely spent. I know I haven’t exhausted all my sadness yet. I wanted fall back into my pit of sorrow. But I need to pick up the broken pieces of my heart and mask now. Because just like me, this horrible day wasn’t done.

I dragged myself off the floor and on a chair in front of the mirror. I the bulbs around it.

Ugh.

I cringed at the sight of the hideous creature in front of me. Previous perfect hair turned into dog fur. My eyes were puffy and make-up ran down my cheeks. And my lips were abnormally red from biting and clamping it too hard.

I sighed again and began repairs.

---

I picked up my bag in the dark and headed to the door. I needed to find the guy my manager entrusted me to and tell him I won’t be going with him.

Maybe it was because of my session earlier, but I felt dangerously lightheaded.

I opened the door and stepped out, but the bright lights burned my eyes and added greatly to my dizziness. I clamped my eyes shut and held my head in pain. But since I haven’t stopped walking, I tripped over my own feet.

I could feel gravity doing its job. I panicked, but my head pounded too much for me to act. I could only wait for the impact and pray I didn’t end up looking stupid.

Then it happened so quickly.

I gasped as something gripped my hand and pulled me back to a stable position. The thing-in-question then pulled me to it and held me by the waist. I was shocked out of my wits but I was able to make out this thing to be a man. A man I know.

Mingyu towered over me with concern in his eyes which I returned with bewilderment in my own.

“Are you okay?” he asked softly. “You were about to collapse.”

“I-I’m fine. I’m fine so could you please let me go? I-I can stand.” I pushed him lightly. I didn’t want to last another second in such an awkward and compromising position. But to my dismay, it seems he had other ideas. He wasn’t letting go.

“Mingyu. She said she’s fine so let her go.” I heard a familiar voice from behind him.

All the members of Seventeen approached us. I didn’t like the person who said it, but I was thankful. Mingyu loosened his hold and I scrambled to get away. I bowed to them in greeting and they did the same.

“You alright?” a guy, I think was the leader, asked. “We saw you from afar and saw you about to collapse. We were worried.”

“Ah… thank you for your concern.” I bowed shyly, unsure of how I should respond. “The lights just made me dizzy, really.”

“No wonder you were!” Seungkwan exclaimed. “Your room is completely dark!” he peeked in. “What were you doing in there?”

“Ah! Uh… I was… just uh… sleeping.” my voice trailed off softly. They burst into laughter.

“Yeah. Your eyes are proof!” Their youngest blurted out.

I gasped and covered my eyes. Would they find out I’ve been crying? “Yah! That’s not something you should point out to a girl!” I heard them collectively smack him and scold him.

 “But…” Vernon popped out wiggling his eyebrows. “…it was a good thing Mingyu~ caught you.”

“Yeeeeah~ Mingyu~” they all drawled out.

I felt myself get flustered from being put into a position. “A-ani! Please don’t misunderstand! Um, it’s not what you think!” I tried yelling out while waving my hands wildly. But they found amusement in it and didn’t want to stop. I buried my red face in my palms.

“Yah! Enough!”

My heart skipped a beat as everyone’s head snapped to him. Wonwoo, usually the quietest of the group, shouted. He huffed in annoyance. “Can’t you see she’s uncomfortable already?” he gestured at me.

Silence settled on all of us until S.Coups cleared his throat. “Sorry, I hope you forgive them. They’re a bunch of kids.” he told me apologetically.

“Ah… It’s okay. Well then, I’ll take my leave. Bye.” I was about to bow, but suddenly someone called me.

“Kim Sohye!” a built man appeared from behind them. “Wait! Don’t go yet!”

I blinked in confusion. I didn’t know who this was.

“Manager-nim! You’re here.” Seventeen said.

“Yeah. Kim Sohye. I’m Seventeen’s manager. I’m your manager’s friend since middle school. She asked me to take you along with us because, apparently, she had a meeting.”

My eyes widened. It was him? I knew it was a stranger, but why did it have to be Seventeen’s manager?! I cursed at life and at the universe. Why is everything going against me?!

Then I remembered my backup plan! I smiled brightly. “Mianhe, but I’ll be going out to eat with some of IOI. Thank you anyways.”

“Keurae?” he said. “Which ones?” Ah, he’s quite nosy.

“Nayoung and Pinky unnies.”

“AHHHHHH!” The shouted in unison. I jumped in surprise. “Isn’t this perfect?” the manager mused. “I was about to invite you to eat with us just now! And it turns out you’re going out with our Pledis trainees! Why don’t we all eat together?”

I internally facepalmed. How could I forget? I swear, the heavens are having fun seeing me miserable.

“Ah, but they’re waiting for—“

“Coups-yah, call them now! Let’s catch up with them!”

“Yup. Okay.” he said as he whipped out his phone.

“Oh, but I’m not really hungry so I’ll--”

“Ah no no no. I can’t let you go home alone. Your manager would kick my if I do!”

“But—“

“Nayoung said they’d love to. And to make sure we bring Sohye with us.”

“ALRIIIGHT!” they cheered.

“Come with us. It’ll be fun.” Mingyu said next to me as he flashed a cute, toothy smile.

I didn’t have the cruel heart to dampen their spirits by not going so I simply nodded in defeat.

He cheered and joined their noisy bunch. I, however, walked a distance away from them. My ears rang and I felt another headache forming.

“I know they’re like this, but if it’s hard for you, you don’t have to force yourself to come.”

I almost cursed loudly. With anger boiling inside me, I glared at him.

But I stopped.

Because as I met his eyes, I saw nothing but sincerity and concern in them.

And….

The anger inside me wavered. And instead, something else was rising to the surface.

I missed those eyes so much.

But my pride couldn’t bear it and forcefully pushed it back down. I steeled myself and glowered at him.

“Just know this, Wonwoo. I hate every second I’m spending with you.”

-----------

Hope you liked it. :D