three

Are You Sure You Won't Regret?

Wonwoo stalked out the sunbaes’ waiting room and walked ahead, not bothering to wait for the others.

“Look, he’s mad now.” Hoshi said.

“You guys told me to do it!” Seungkwan cried defensively.

“Yea, but—“

“What’s he mad for?” Woozi said as they watched Wonwoo’s figure become smaller. “I don’t see why he’s so worked up. He can usually handle this much teasing.”

The members stood in awkward silence, unsure if they should apologize or not.

“Do you think… they know each other?” Vernon asked.

“I don’t know…? Wonwoo acted like that so maybe yeah. Sohye-ssi seemed flustered, too, but she was probably just surprised since she didn’t expect us there. So… I can’t really say for sure.” Woozi replied.

“Okay, stop.” Coups clapped his hands. “I know it’s intriguing but we can’t think of these stuff right now. Focus on work! You three, go apologize. Or talk to him. Or something. I don’t know, just make him feel better.” He ordered.

“Nae…” They said dejectedly.

~ ~ ~

W o n w o o

Sohye.

I can’t believe she was there.

I saw her.

She’s gotten so much more beautiful.

But, I don’t dare talk to her.

Because I’m a jerk.

An .

A coward.

I even pathetically stood behind Mingyu just to hide myself from her.

It seemed like she didn’t want to be near me, either.

I get it.

If only I could muster the courage…

…to apologize.

S o h y e

“Your hair is prettier today, Sohye.” The unnie who was doing my make-up remarked. “Is today special for you?” she smiled playfully.

“Aniyo, unni!” I defended myself. “I just felt like it.” She looked at me disbelievingly. “Really!”

“Keurae~?” she drawled out.

“Nae.”

“Well then, we’ll just have to make you prettier today, too, to match that pretty hair!” she said cheerfully dropping the topic.

“Kamsahamnida, unnie!”

She lightly pinched my cheek as I smiled brightly. Truthfully, I did have my hair done extra well today. I wanted to be prettier than the previous episodes and prettier than the next ones. Today was special. Just not in the way unnie thinks.

Today, I’ll show him.

I’ll show him that I wasn’t bothered. I’ll show him how little it affected me. I’ll show him just how much stronger and beautiful I can be without him.

I’ll show that he didn’t matter anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

*sigh* What am I saying?

I was lying to myself.

I was bothered as hell. It affected me so much. I could only pretend to be beautiful and strong. Just knowing that I was in the same space as him earlier was enough to shake me and send my resolve crumbling. But thank God. Thank God I didn’t see him. Thank God I wasn’t able to get a glimpse of him. Because I wasn’t sure what I would do.

Would I cry? Stutter? Yell at him? Hit him? Glare? Pretend I didn’t know him? Pretend I was happy? Or just run away?

When it came to him, I didn’t know anything anymore.

It’s been a little over a year. But I hated just how much he can still affect me. Merely seeing him on television and on stage was so awkward and scary. I can only thank my training in acting that nobody around me notices… I think.

We’ve gone through a lot and made so much memories. We started off with nothing, but promised each other everything. It just hurt me so much how easily he trashed it. How easily he trashed us.

But, now there’s no more ‘us’, it’s just him and me.

“Okay and… done!” Unnie said with a satisfied look. “Now, go and talk to the producers, okay? You know the drill. Now, shoo!” she smacked me lightly.

“Alright, unnie. Thanks again! Saranghae!” I finished with finger hearts.

I just hope that by acting okay in front of him, will make me believe I am.

~ ~ ~

(From here on will be Sohye’s thoughts during the show.)

“This person gets more and more funny and pretty. I didn’t know she would develop that fast.” MC Tak said in mild astonishment.

“You didn’t have expectations.” MC Leeteuk shot back.

“Of course.” he said quietly which made everyone laugh.

I laughed along with them while I was backstage. I’ve gotten used to the MCs jokes and knew they didn’t mean it that way. In fact, it made me proud that I’m able to go along with them now. If laughing along is good enough. I waited patiently to be called in.

Okay, Sohye. This is work. Let’s focus on work. They’re just guests who I’ll be spending the next 20 minutes with. It’s just 20 minutes. You’ll be fine, Sohye. Let’s do this with no regrets! Sohye fighting! I repeatedly chanted this in my mind.

“It’s IOI’s Sohye, who came back with a new album!”

That’s my cue.

Seventeen cheered as I walked in, bowing at everyone again. I sat beside Jeonghan who stood up and adjusted her seat for me. I thanked him wordlessly.

He’s prettier than me, oh my god. I couldn’t help but feel nervousness bubble within me. Especially now that I had 13 extremely handsome members looking straight at me.

Pull yourself together, Sohye! I screamed internally.

Small talk began between me and the MCs as usual as the Seventeen members listened attentively. I take it back. It’s hard to keep up with them. I feel like I’ve been messing up and tripping all over, (to everyone’s amusement) but thankfully the MCs catch me smoothly. It’s their fault anyway.

Aish, I seriously have to do better.

“Are you close with any Seventeen members?” Leeteuk-sunbae suddenly asked.

I was slightly taken aback, but I tried to not let it show. I half-expected this question really. Okay, do your best, Sohye!

“Aniyo.” I reply quickly.

“You’re not close?” Tak-sunbae asked.

“I greeted them before.” But today was the first time I stood close to them and faced them properly.

“Oh, then Sohye look at all the Seventeen members!” Tak-sunbae ordered. It seems like he was planning something.

“Oh.. uh.. nae.” I wanted to be professional. I really did. But this made my heart hesitant. Because I really didn’t want to look at them. Coz he was there.

I’m being really childish. I thought I was better than this.

So, I just looked at my script card.

“Where are you looking at?” Tak-sunbae said which made everyone laugh again. I didn’t care. “Don’t be embarrassed, just look at them.”

“Uh…” I could feel my face getting hot.

“Starting from Wonwoo, look at them.”

No.

But I could only do as they wanted. I faced the side to my left, where he was but I didn’t look at him. Instead, I locked eyes with Mingyu who was next to him and bowed in greeting. “Annyeonghaseyo~” I said softly. I did the same to the other side.

“So, who do you like the most?” “Who are you a fan of, Sohye?” I swear, right now my mind is going wild with ways to torture these men. Honorifics, respect and reputation be damned. They better watch out after this. (Just kidding, as if I can. Pfft.)

I simply stayed silent.

“Sohye, you’re trapped on and inhabited island.” Leeteuk-sunbae began. I groaned internally but what came out outside was a very awkward laugh. “Which member will make you think ‘I can live on this island forever’?”

(A/N: Here I was screaming Mingyu, Mingyu! That boy can do anything and at the same time he is everything! I swear I wouldn’t mind being stuck with him forever. ;) )

“This is quite dangerous.” I said with a serious look at the camera. Because it was. These adults always put me in situations where my life could be endangered, aish.

Endangered in many ways, yes. Like a heart attack today, perhaps.

The others laughed and nodded in agreement. Atleast, these boys were on my side. Seventeen, jjang! I’m sorry I haven’t paid more attention to you!

~ ~ ~

"Which Seventeen member will fit acting the most?" I cheerfully said. I watched with a smile plastered on my face as the members cheered and started musing among themselves who would be in which rank.

'I really hope that when the time we debut comes... we'd definitely debut together.

You in your acting and me with Seventeen.'

Sohye. Stop.

"Mingyu! I recommend Sohye as the acting partner." Tak-sunbae said with a teasing smile. I knew it. They’ve been teasing me with Mingyu the whole time! It was just so awkward. True, Mingyu was very very handsome and hot. Yes, we go to the same salon. Yes, we’ve greeted each other a lot.

But no. I didn’t want to be involved with Seventeen. Especially with Mingyu. Because I heard that fans have been shipping him with… him.

Meanie couple, or so I’ve heard.

“Let’s do this…” Leeteuk-sunbae began weaving a story for our skit. I swallowed my embarrassment and just listened to what my role is. A girlfriend whose boyfriend wanted to break up with her out of the blue. This shouldn’t be too hard.

In fact, this will be effortless as hell.

Let's do this.

'You know, you could debut as an actor, too.

With those skills you might even become an actor before me!

I've been training for it, but you... you're just amazing.'

...

"CUT! What are you doing?" The MCs ask with a laugh. What?! I didn’t realize the skit has already started! I apologized awkwardly.

What the hell, Sohye. Why the hell am I having these flashbacks now?!

'Yeah, I know I'm amazing, too-- Ow! Yah! *laugh*

But I think the one who showed me and taught me this world...

is even more amazing.'

Enough, Sohye. Don't be stupid.

“Let’s stop seeing each other.” Mingyu began.

...

"How much... How much do you like her ~ing..." I trailed off, overwhelmed by the emotions that bubbled inside me during the skit.

'Hm... is she pretty?'

'She's... beautiful.'

I want to cry.

Mingyu had to laughingly apologize and all the guests and MCs burst out laughing and applauding.

Except one.

"Sohye!" Leeteuk laughed. "It's just an act! She's about to cry now!" he exclaimed as he pointed at my visible teary eyes.

"Oh no, no, I'm not." I said as I wiped my eyes with a sweet smile.

I forced myself back to reality. I felt pleased with myself. I showed them what I loved doing. And somehow, it came out how good of an actress I was. It kind of felt satisfying and triumphant.

...and downright miserable.

The room was filled bright with laughter. It felt good that I was the cause of it (again). Somehow it shot my confidence and courage up. My eyes scanned the room slowly and carefully until it inevitably landed on... his.

We locked eyes.

Don’t chicken out now, Sohye. Show him.

I wanted to stare arrogantly. I wanted to boast that I was so much better now than I was before. I wanted to. But his eyes burned with so much unspoken words. So much more than what he actually said in the broadcast so far. He knew. He knew that what I did wasn't 'just' acting. He knew that my show wasn't what everyone saw it was. He knew me. I hate it, but I know he knew me so damn well.

Well, I knew something, too. I knew that he didn't like it. Not one frickin bit.

I scoffed. I sent a message of my own.

'I really hate to see you here, Jeon Wonwoo.'

--------------

The chapters are getting longer. Hopefully, this pace keeps up. :D

Tell me what you think about it guys! Or what you think what will happen. I'd like to hear it. :)