eight

Are You Sure You Won't Regret?

Hey everyone! :D

Now, let's get to know the Wonhye couple's backstory, yeah? I'm really glad ppl ship this until now! :3

---------

4 years earlier: Sohye (12) & Wonwoo (15) [international age]

 

“Wonwoo, look at that!” Wonwoo’s mother pointed at excitedly. “It looks like they’re filming something over there.”

A young Wonwoo looked over blankly, greatly contrasting his mother’s enthusiasm. “Hn, yeah. You’re right.” he said dryly.

They stayed rooted for several minutes just watching the scenes unfold. Wonwoo tapped his foot on the pavement while giving his mother, a drama addict, enough time to relish the sight of one in the making.

“Eomma! Hurry up! I have to go to training soon.” he whined impatiently as he tugged his mother’s sleeve lightly.

“Just a minute… Omo, omo, omo. It’s the actors! They’re coming out! Omo, I wonder who are here?” his mother almost jumped in anticipation. He clicked his tongue and tuned off his mother naming the actors she recognized and her musings about each one. He was really disinterested in the workings of this world, even if he knew it was parallel to his future. He furrowed his brows in mild irritation.

“Eomma…”

“Hush, Wonwoo! Let’s just watch a bit. I’ll add a bit to your allowance later.” she compromised which effectively shut up her teenage son.

He had no choice but to watch along with his mom. He observed how the cameras moved to obtain different angles, the directors continuously barking orders and the remaining staff running all over frantically. The actors were huddled in one corner, no doubt receiving additional orders.

What caught his eye was among the circle of adults, a rather small girl who stood behind them. He first thought her to be one of the actors’ daughter or sister but was proven wrong when she was hurriedly ushered into the set and had her make-up retouched. He watched as she fidgeted nervously and looked utterly lost.

What on earth is a kid like that doing there?’ he thought curiously. ‘Doesn’t look like she’ll last a second in that industry.’

“Okay, take one! Ready… action!” the director shouted into her megaphone.

Various people suddenly exploded into action, it was as if someone pressed play on a remote. There were people who started walking, sitting around or pretending to do something else. He was thoroughly impressed at how everything was done so naturally. The cameras roved around the set taking everything in.

Suddenly, the cameras stopped moving and the director yelled a cut, which confused everyone. The actors looked around worriedly. A few moments after, all heads turned to his and his mom’s direction.

Wonwoo stiffened and felt heat creep up his neck under their scrutinizing gazes. He gulped nervously and tried to pull his frozen mom away in embarrassment.

“Excuse me!” the director shouted which stopped them from taking another step. “Would you like to be extras, too?”

----

Wonwoo groaned. He dug his head in his hands after being forcefully pushed into the sea of people and cameras. He was set up straight as someone fixed his hair and powdered his face while his mom watched from the sidelines, cheering him on. He groaned again.

What the hell am I doing here?!

“Okay, all you have to do is be in the background and do anything. Just be natural.” the female stranger said. “Here, think of something with her. Let’s make you two to be siblings. If anything happens, act accordingly, okay?” she gestured behind him and left quickly.

He looked behind him and saw the small girl from earlier.

“A-Anyeonghaseyo.” she bowed deeply, her face sporting a light blush. “I’m Kim Sohye.” He returned the greeting half-heartedly and introduced his self.

Of all people to be paired with, I’m paired with the most hopeless of all.’ he thought cruelly. He groaned again at the thought of the embarrassment that would transpire, as well as his impending doom once the other members learn of it.

“U-um. Actually, we’ll have a tiny scene with main character-oppa and he’ll be s-saying a line at me—uh, us and we have to react. Um… we have to think of something to do before that so…” she babbled softly that Wonwoo had to strain his ears to hear her.

“Are you even sure you can do it?” he said rudely.

Her eyes flashed with surprise and hurt. He regretted it the moment the words left his mouth, scared that she would cry at his mean remark. But his worries were in vain. Because what took their place was raw passion and pride in the field she chose.

“Of course, I can.” she said with pure conviction. Wonwoo was speechless. “Watch me.”

“Take two!” the director yelled. He jumped in surprise. “Ready… action!”

“Follow my lead.” she whispered. Wonwoo watched with wide eyes as she transformed out of the timid girl in front of his eyes.

“Oppa!” she said brightly. He was flabbergasted. She jumped excitedly and clung to his arm affectionately. “Play with me, nae?”

But follow he couldn’t.

---

“Yah. Stop laughing.” Wonwoo scolded the giggling girl beside him. He furrowed his brows in annoyance.

It’s been an hour since he joined in and now they were viewing the replay along with some other curious people. It’s only been a short time but he felt closer to the younger girl as if she was his real dongsaeng. It amazed him how well she was able to immerse in her role that the aftermath was able to pull their newly founded relationship to better terms.

“B-But in the replay… you… you were so funny!” she laughed harder as they walked toward a bench. “You even asked me if I could do it but t-then you looked so lost!”

“Yah!”

“Your mouth was even hung open!” she pointed out. “I thought a fly would get in!”

“Aren’t you having too much fun? I’m still older that you, you know! I’m 15!” he said half-seriously, just to get her off his back.

“Aigoo, mianhe, oppa.” her eyes twinkled in amusement, obviously not taking his threat seriously. He felt a blush rising up his cheeks hearing her call him that, but he fought it back. “Ah~ I have to thank you, too! I was really nervous since this is the biggest project I’ve been involved in, but it all flew away thanks to you!” she giggled again.

He cleared his throat. “You’re nervous even if that was such a tiny part? And this was your biggest project even if you were seriously just an extra?”

“Well, yes…” she admitted. Wonwoo found it hard to believe. She was able to transition so well and naturally that he thought she was higher up in the ladder. “But, hearing you say it like such a part was no big deal… Remind me who was the poorer performer between us, again?” she grinned playfully.

“Yah! It’s not like I even knew how to act in the first place! I don’t even like it!” he countered.

“You don’t like it?” she asked with wide eyes. “Waeyo? Acting is fun!” she argued.

“Well, it’s because I feel like I’m being someone I’m not.” he said plainly. “Or that I’m lying to myself and to the people around me.”

“That’s weird to hear from someone who has such sly, fox eyes.” she remarked. He scoffed lightly and Sohye chuckled. “But I don’t think acting is like that.” she said with a smile.

“Why?” he said curiously. He noticed that the air around her lost its cheerful state and instead fell to a serious one.

“Because when I’m acting, I don’t think I’m lying to be someone else, but because I’m letting a new part of me rise to the surface. It’s like there are so many of me inside me, do you get it? And when I act I discover them bit by bit, like who I really am and who I’m not. I realize there’s this part of me that wishes to be wild and free and a part that is a prim and proper girl. I realize that I am someone really happy and bubbly and at the same time, I can be someone sunk in sadness. But that doesn’t scare me.” she pushed herself off the bench and stood in front of him with a wide smile.

“Because when I act, I have the chance to be more of me! And the more roles I take, the more I can learn about the me that I could want to be!” she spread her arms happily as if it could help emphasize her argument. Wonwoo simply looked at her.

“Err… do you get it?”  she said awkwardly. She let her hands fall to her sides.

“Not really.” he said flatly. “But I’m pretty surprised at what that head of yours can think of.” he poked her forehead lightly. “Anyway, I have somewhere to be now so I’m leaving. Good luck on the rest of the shooting.”

“Ah jinjja?” she said in mild surprise and pouted her lips. “Well then, take care! I hope to see you again, Wonwoo-oppa! Thanks for working with me today!” she waved goodbye with a hesitant but bright smile.

Wonwoo walked away quietly and got lost in his thoughts. He truly was surprised by what she had said. She was the first 12-year-old he met that could express her thoughts that deeply. Now, he was ashamed of his self for doubting her ability and passion for her chosen craft when he himself, that was working towards his, couldn’t even match up to her dedication.

Because of her, he started thinking deeply as well.

He reached his mom. “Wonwoo, you ready to go?” she asked. He nodded in reply. They set off at a relaxed pace since the company allowed them to be late anyway.

“Hey, eomma.” he broke the silence between them. “I… want to try acting.”

His mom stopped. “What? I thought you hated it? I thought you would hate it more since you’ve been forced to today.” his mom looked worried at the sudden change of heart of her son.

“Well, I guess stuff just happened…” he trailed off as his mother became puzzled. “And besides, a little penguin told me that through acting, I can discover a me that I could be.” he said with a fond smile.

--------

Dun dun dun~ 

Actually, these flashbacks or backstories will continue for the next chapters as they are too long to put into one chapter. And I want to be clear with their development and such. I hope you guys don't mind :3

Tell me if you liked it guys! Bai~