an old friend appears

Genie

im sorry this is so late guys
i fell asleep... twice
gave a double update as a show of my apology

 



        Byun Baekhyun sat in his company car with a violin in his hands. He was talking to his co-worker on the phone and examining the ancient instrument in the fading sunlight.

           “You’re sure it’s the right violin?” He asked.

           “I know what a Del Gesu looks like, Han” He said with a hint of irritation in his voice.

           “Ok, bring it here immediately. They may have realized by now that it’s gone. I really wish they didn’t make you go out on your own for your first time.”

           “It’s no big deal. I got it, didn't i? Be there in a few.” He hung up and put the violin into its case. He was startled by a knock on the window. He rolled it down to greet the person. “Can I help you?”

           He was punched in the head and his vision went fuzzy. In a daze, he was dragged out of his window and thrown onto the asphalt.

           Baekhyun shook his head to clear it just as his attacker was driving away. He ran after and grabbed the rear door handle.

           “Stop! Please!” He screamed as the car dragged him behind. His coat was stuck in the handle and Baekhyun refused to let go. The driver swerved to try to dislodge the desperate man.

           It worked. Unfortunately for Baekhyun, he missed the road completely and fell off of an embankment by the bridge that they were driving over.

           The last thought in Baekhyun’s head before hitting the frigid water was “well… ”

           He hit the water and everything went black.

 

/*/*/*/

 

           The three men sat in the now newspaper free kitchen eating Chinese takeout off of the table, making plans for the next few days.

           “This is a poor imitation of Chinese food, but it is pretty tasty.” Tao smiled through a mouthful of orange chicken. “Did you guys look at the note I found on the fridge?”

“”What note?” Joonmyun was trying not to spit out sticky rice.

“This note. It says:

To: My boys. My little birds.

Joonmyun, Chanyeol. I trust that you two are still inseparable.

I wish I could have been more of a part of your lives like Suho wanted,

But I was already old and I couldn't have stayed in one place long enough to give you a good life.

Still, I did what I could for you when I could.

Went to school plays, visited over the holidays when I was around.

I hope you enjoyed the bicycles I got you the christmas you were twelve.

I wish my letter had found you before it was too late,

but like Suho, you tend not to stay still for too long unless something is keeping you there.

My days are numbered, I'm afraid.

The best I can do for you two is leave you the house.

I doubt we'll meet again, because it doesn’t work the same for me as it does for you.

Just know that you had made this lonely old man’s life brighter when you hatched, my little birds.

Thank you,

Zal


 

Joonmyun walked over to the fridge and lifted a magnet, grabbing a photograph of the professor dressed like Santa with a very young Chanyeol on one knee and an equally young Joonmyun on the other.

Chanyeol had yet to see the photo.

 

    “Was he stalking us? Was he going to kidnap us? He had all of our school papers, hyung.”

    “I… don't know if that was the case, Yeol.” Joonmyun looked bereft. He couldn’t remember this man, but his house was covered in mementos of them. Their lives. Things from when they were growing up. Cared for as if he was a loving grandparent in absentia.

    “And that wasn’t santa who gave us the bikes?” His voice was tiny.

    “Hate to break it to you, Yeol, but no.”

    “Aww.”

           There was a rustling noise outside and Chanyeol's expression went from comically sad to terrified. “What was that?” He whispered.

           “That would be a guest.” Tao replied calmly moments before a frantic knocking sounded at the front door.

           Joonmyun went to get up but Tao grabbed him by the waist and pulled him into his lap. He firmly attached his lips to the mark he left on Joonmyun’s shoulder causing the shorter man to moan.

           “Be a dear and get the door for us, Yeol?” Tao said before resuming his work on Joonmyun’s neck. Joonmyun just mewled helplessly.  “Make yourself look presentable.” He shouted out of the kitchen.

           The knocking continued until Chanyeol opened the door nervously, He had a rolled up newspaper in his hand in case he needed to defend himself. “Can I help you?” He asked as the door opened.

           Baekhyun slowly turned toward the door, looking up at him. He was sopping wet and covered in scratches, weeds and mud. There was blood freely flowing down the side of his head and he wobbled where he stood. “Baekhyun?” He sighed the name as his improvised weapon fluttered to the floor.

           The sad looking man looked up with unfocused eyes.

           “Byun Baekhyun? What are you doing here, what happened?” He moved aside to let the small man in.

           “Chanyeol? I’m dead aren’t I?” He slurred slightly. “… Must’ve … killed me …” He mumbled dissonantly and weaved as he stood in place.

           “. Get inside.” He turned toward the kitchen. “Guys, stop ing around in there, I need your help.” Chanyeol urged.

           He steered the purple haired man to the kitchen and sat him in a chair.

           “Baekhyun?” Joonmyun asked. “What happened to him?” He knelt by the smaller man, grabbing an ice cold hand.

           “Can someone get me some dry clothes for him to wear?” Chanyeol asked as he dabbed at Baekhyun’s head with a paper towel.

           Tao returned with some sweats, a towel and a first aid kit.

           “This may work better I think.” Tao said when he handed the antiseptic and gauze to Chanyeol.

           “Thanks”

           Baekhyun looked up at the genie and his eyes momentarily got wide.

           “Holy what are you?” Tao looked down to make sure he had feet before he kneeled and held Baekhyun’s head between his hands. He was looking into the other man’s eyes.

           “Have you ever seen unusual things like ghosts or fairies before?” He asked the smaller man.

            “N – No” He whimpered.

           “Interesting… newly manifested second sight because of head trauma”. He scratched his chin.

           Joonmyun suddenly remembered his training from school when he had that passing fancy of becoming a nurse. Fortunately it only lingered half a semester. When he got to the childbirth part of the class, he realized he wasn’t cut out for it.

           “Baekhyun. Look at me.” The man looked up and his eyes looked like he was trying to focus. Joonmyun grabbed his chin and looked at the younger man’s eyes.

           “… Joonmyun?” He asked after a moment, then his eyes glazed over again. He clenched them shut and tried to squirm away from the brunet. “NO! I’m sorry… I can’t do anything for- I’m sorry-I’M SORRY” He started crying.

           “Baek! Snap out of it!” Baekhyun obediently looked up at the other man with teary eyes.

           “I’m sorry hyung…” He cried. “I’m sorry, Zal…” He trailed off.

           “I need to ask you a few questions to see if we need to call an ambulance.” Joonmyun was too focussed on trying to see if his old friend would be ok to notice what he had said.

           “call…” His eyes widened with realization. “, can I borrow a phone?”

           “Can I check you for a concussion first?” Joonmyun tried to calm him down.

           “I need to call my office! I’m so ed, please! Phone!” He held out his hand, fingers spread wide.

           Chanyeol handed him his phone and Baekhyun dialed a number.

           “Who is this?” his co-worker picked up when Baekhyun called his phone.

           “Jeonghan! It’s Baekhyun …”

           “Where the hell are you? The higher ups thought you did a runner.”

           “I was attacked, dragged about five miles, fell off a bridge into a river. Still have no idea where I am or how long I was out. How was your day?”

           “How are you calling me?”

           “Serendipity seems to be my stripper name because the only house, when I came to, that I could see was occupied by some of my old friends from high school.”

           “Do you need to go to the hospital?”

           “Doubt it”

           “Then stay put, we'll track down the car and send Ravi to get it.”

           “Yes sir.”

           He handed Chanyeol his phone and turned to Joonmyun with a sad look on his face.

           “What’s that look for?” Joonmyun asked.

           “He saw something involving you and knows better than to tell you.” Tao said quietly. “The power to see time is such a terrible burden to carry without being born with it.”

           “Are – are you going to ask your questions?” Baekhyun asked quietly.

           “Well, obviously you remember what happened.” He held up his index finger “Follow my finger.”  He watched carefully as the plum haired man’s eyes slowly followed his finger. “Headache? Dizziness? Nausea?”

           “I puked once I hit dry land. I’m ok now.” He shrugged.

           “It almost sounded like you’re a spy.” Chanyeol said with a smirk.

           “Nothing as interesting as that… well kinda… I dunno maybe that exciting… dunno if I even get to keep my job after this. I can’t believe I ed up like that.” He covered his face with his hands as he lamented.

           “What were you doing?” Chanyeol asked.

           “I snuck a stolen, three million dollar violin out of the place it was taken to. My job is supposed to retrieve stolen museum pieces for the insurance company I work for and I ed up my first assignment.” He shook his head with a frown.

           “I’m sure they’ll be lenient. It was your first time out in the field, right?” Joonmyun encouraged.

           “They couldn’t even spare any people to help me out. So I didn’t get a supervised outing.”

           “Then maybe you’ll be ok.”

           “They only hired me because I know antique musical instruments.” He sighed.

           “Hopefully they’ll find your car.” Joonmyun said.

           “Is he going to be alright?” Chanyeol asked, “Do I need to take him to the doctor?”

           “No,” Joonmyun said. “You need to help him into those sweats” before yelping as Tao hoisted him up and threw him over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

           “So I take it you and Joonmyun aren’t together anymore.” Baekhyun watched the other two leave the room.

           “That’s right, you moved away before we broke up. Yeah, we were only together a few weeks, but he’s got this weird way of breaking up with you that makes you want to stay friends. You got anyone?”

           “Nope… I only ever liked one guy and nobody could really ever measure up” He smirked up at Chanyeol before taking his soaked shirt off and dropping it on the floor with a wet plop and a squish. “I’ll uh dry that off once I’m dressed.” Chanyeol noticed that he was covered in many small scratches and cuts, but they weren’t bleeding so he said nothing about it.

           Chanyeol was obviously ogling Baekhyun with his shirt off and he remembered that he had a towel in his hands.

            “Oh. Here” he started to dry off Baekhyun’s chest and froze when he realized what he was doing. “I … uh sorry” he handed Baekhyun the towel.