Driver's Permit

Without Him

    "Um... When we started to learn how to drive, it didn't go very well. Papa called us by Dad's name and everything went awkward. That was the day we realized how everything was broken..."

15 years old

Taehyung and Jimin ran into the living room after getting dropped off by a friend.

    “Papa, I got my driver's permit!” Jimin held out his permit.

    “Me too!” Taehyung exclaimed.

Yoongi who was sitting on the couch, wrapped in a blanket, watching tv looked at them, fear present in his eyes.

    “No.” Yoongi’s eyes were wide.

    “That means you get to teach us how to drive!” Jimin beamed.

Yoongi fell over to his side and groaned, his 3rd worst nightmare was coming true.

    “You guys don’t need to drive.” Yoongi stared at the tv.

    “Do you know how embarrassing it is for two high school students, who live in town, take the school bus, which is full of little kids, is?” Jimin was dead serious.

    “But-”

    “We can’t keep asking friends for rides to work either.” Taehyung added.

Yoongi groaned again.

    “Papa, please!” Jimin pleaded.

    “Fine, do your homework first then I’ll decide who drives first.” Yoongi sighed.

The boys scrambled to get to the table and do their homework, willingly for once. Yoongi thought back to the time when they were little embryos in his stomach.

 

    “What are we going to do when they want to drive?” Yoongi caressed his swollen belly.

    “I’ll teach them how to drive, so you don’t have to worry your pretty head.” Hoseok kissed Yoongi’s head.

    “But I don’t want them to drive, they’ll get into an accident or something!” Yoongi’s hormones made him panic more for no reason.

    “It’ll be fine. They will be as smart as you so you don’t need to worry.” Hoseok chuckled.

 

Yoongi’s eyes began to well up at the thought of Hoseok. 2 years have passed and it still felt like yesterday for him.

    “I’m done.” Jimin called from the kitchen.

    “Ah, that’s great.” Yoongi sat up and wiped his eyes quick.

    “Can I go first then?” Jimin ran into the living room.

    “Sure, sure.” Yoongi really wasn’t looking forward to this.

Half an hour later, Yoongi drove them to a big empty parking in hopes they won’t crash into something.

    “Alright, Minnie you’re up first.” Yoongi unbuckled himself.

    “Why is he going first?!” Taehyung argued.

    “Because he’s the oldest.” Yoongi opened the door.

    “BY 7 MINUTES!”  Taehyung exclaimed.

Jimin sat in the driver’s seat and laughed.

    “Be quiet back there! Don’t make me turn this car around!” Jimin looked at Taehyung through the rearview mirror.

Yoongi started at the passenger door before getting in, having another flashback.

 

5-year-old Taehyung was throwing a fit in his baby seat because Jimin ate his cookie when they were headed to the park.

    “Mama! Mama! Jimen eat my kokie!” Taehyung cried.

    “No!” Jimin exclaimed.

Yoongi already had a headache because of their screaming. Hoseok was at his limit since Yoongi already told them 5 times to stop.

    “If you two don’t stop, I’m turning this car around and no park!” Hoseok exclaimed.

The twins stopped whining at the sudden outburst from their father.

    “Thank you.” Yoongi sighed.

 

    “Oh, this is going to be fun.” Yoongi climbed into the car, “Alright start the car.” Yoongi handed the keys to his oldest son by 7 minutes “And you, don’t do anything to distract your brother. You could learn from his mistakes.” Yoongi looked at Taehyung.

Taehyung reluctantly agreed as Jimin started the car.

    “Alright, press on the brake to put the car into drive and drive forward. Don’t turn the wheel just yet.”

Jimin did as instructed but the car didn’t move forward.

    “Press on the gas slowly.”

The car moved forward at a slow speed, making Taehyung impatient.

    “Ok now try turning.” Yoongi added.

After Jimin got the hang of the basics, it was Taehyung’s turn.

    “Alright. Start the car.”

Taehyung the car and smiled at Yoongi.

    “Okay now switch the gears and drive forward slow-”

Taehyung pressed on the gas pedal a bit more than slowly after switching the gears, sending them flying forward.

    “STOP!” Yoongi exclaimed.

Taehyung pressed on the brake, causing them to stop abruptly.

    “I think I just got whiplash.” Jimin held his neck.

    “JUNG HOSEOK WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING! YOU COULD’VE GOT US KILLED IF THERE WAS A TREE NEARBY!” Yoongi screamed.

Taehyung stared at Yoongi in confusion. Yoongi was still fuming until he saw the sad look in Taehyung’s eyes.

    “Ah… I’m sorry Tae. I didn’t mean to call you by your father’s name.” Yoongi felt awkward now.

    “You’re not the only one who misses him.” Taehyung stared at the wheel.

    “Let’s end today’s lesson. We can start with you next time.” Yoongi cleared his throat.

Taehyung nodded and exited the driver’s side. When they got home, Yoongi immediately disappeared into his room. Taehyung and Jimin began to look around the house and finally realized how broken their papa was. The house which was once always clean was now a mess, the kitchen sink was piled high with dishes, there was trash everywhere in the living room, and the laundry hamper was overflowing with dirty clothes, all because their father passed away.

    “Papa really loved Dad. He’s so lost without him.” Jimin picked up an empty bag of chips.    

    “The least we could do is help him out.” Taehyung stared at the rehung wedding picture with the new frame Jimin bought.