Together

Without Him

    "We got into an accident and that's when all our emotions were let loose.... It was the first time we cried as a family, over our father, over our lost time."

17 years old

Taehyung was putting on his work uniform right while Jimin was in the shower.

    “If you don’t hurry up we’re going to be late.” Taehyung buttoned up his shirt.

The water turned off a few seconds later as Taehyung was putting on his socks. The boys both had a job at a restaurant in town since Yoongi refused to go anywhere or get a job. Jimin came out of the bathroom with a towel around his waist and drying off his hair as best as he could with another towel.

    “Get dressed nerd.” Taehyung finished tying his tie and grabbed his wallet.

    “I’ll be down in a second.” Jimin tossed the towel in his hands aside.

Taehyung walked downstairs to see Yoongi sleeping on the couch.

    “If something were to happen to us, would you even care?” Taehyung whispered.

Jimin came down the stairs, black slacks already on, buttoning up his shirt with his tie sticking out of his pocket.

    “Let’s roll.” Jimin instructed.

Taehyung grabbed the car keys and looked at Yoongi one last time before leaving. A few hours later, Yoongi woke up from his nap and stretched. He sat in the dark, feeling cold and alone.

 

Yoongi was in the living room watching a little kid show with a twin on each side of him on the couch.

    “Mama, did you see that! She jumped shuper high!” 7-year-old Jimin waved his arms.

    “Yes, Minnie. I saw it.” Yoongi ruffled his son’s hair.

The television shut off suddenly along with every light in the house causing Taehyung to spring to his feet.

    “What happened, mama?!” Taehyung looked confused.

    “Maybe the aliens are coming for you.” Jimin teased.

    “No, they’re not. The power just went out, there’s nothing to worry about.” Yoongi pinched Jimin’s cheek.

    “It feels cold now.” Taehyung shivered.

    “That’s because the heater went off too. My boys are going to be popsicles by the end of the night.” Yoongi chuckled.

    “I don’t want to be a Taesicle!” Taehyung exclaimed.

Yoongi looked at his boys before an idea popped into his head. By the time Hoseok got home, he noticed a blanket fort in the middle of the living room. There was a flashlight in said fort showing three figures and making him smile.

    “Yoongi, I’m home!” Hoseok called.

Yoongi’s head popped out of the fort followed by two little boys.

    “Daddy!” The twins bolted out of the fort to hug their father.

    “I’m going to make some hot cocoa with mama and I’ll join your little fort.” Hoseok took off his tie.

The boys ran back into the fort, laughing and giggling Yoongi followed Hoseok into the kitchen only to be dipped by his husband and have a long kiss planted on his lips. Once Hoseok pulled him back up, Yoongi was blushing while Hoseok smiled at him.

 

How he missed those moments with his husband. His phone lit up with Jimin’s picture which surprised him.

    “What’s up, Minnie?”

    “Papa! Taehyung and I! I’m scared!” Jimin wasn’t making any sense.

Now Yoongi was worried.

    “What happened?”

    “Accident! Taehyung’s passed out and my seatbelt won’t let me go! I’m scared!”

In the background of the call, he heard police sirens, making him fear the worst. Jimin’s phone died leaving Jimin to cry in the mangled car and Yoongi to panic even more. He quickly put on his shoes and jacket and thought about his two little boys, which he could lose like he did his husband. He drove to the hospital to see Jimin in the waiting room, tears running down his face. Yoongi ran over to him and Jimin only cried more when he saw his father.

    “Papa!” Jimin hugged Yoongi tightly, “Taehyung’s in so much pain, I can feel it.”

Yoongi couldn’t say anything but hug his teen son, the one he used to carry around everywhere because he refused to walk and thought about his youngest son, who he used to play peek a boo with before apologizing and cradle him because he scared him.

    “What happened, Chimchim?” Yoongi wiped Jimin’s eyes.

    “I don’t know. One minute we were fine and the next we were in a ditch. I think a car hit us from our blind side.” Jimin tried to remember.

Taehyung calmly strolled into the waiting room causing his twin and father to looked at him with a confused expression.

    “What?”

    “You’re in pain! What are you doing out here?” Jimin exclaimed.

    “I’m perfectly fine, just a couple of bruises and a bump on the head.” Taehyung shrugged.

Yoongi stepped forward and Taehyung took a couple of steps back. It took a couple of minutes before everything clicked together but he couldn’t really argue with his son in the middle of the waiting room. When they got home, Taehyung tried to go up to his room as fast as he could but Yoongi grabbed his arm and sat him on the couch.

    “What’s up with you? Your twin is worried about you.” Yoongi crossed his arms.

    “Tae, you’re not yourself. I can feel you hurting.” Jimin stared at his younger brother.

    “It’s nothing important. Shouldn’t you be fetching your husband’s destroyed car?” Taehyung tried getting up again but only to be pushed down.

    “What’s on your mind? This isn’t my Tae-Tae.” Yoongi’s face softened.

    “Well, you don’t care about us! You only care about Dad and he’s long gone!” Taehyung exclaimed.

Jimin’s eyes widened as Yoongi stumbled backward.

    “I know he’s gone! He’s been gone for 5 years and I’m still not over it! I can’t get over it!” Yoongi yelled.

 

    “Yoongi, I don’t hate you. Your parents might not accept you but that doesn’t mean I’ll stop being your friend.”

    “Hoseok, you don’t get it! I’m gay! It’s frowned upon and you know it. I’ve practically ruined this friendship!” Yoongi curled into a ball and cried.

Hoseok pulled Yoongi up from his ball and crashed their lips together.

    “Hoseo-”

    “I’ve been in love with you for a very long time, Yoongi. I just didn’t know how to confess to you. I’m madly in love with you, Min Yoongi! Let’s run away once we graduate! We can move to the States where it’s legal to get married. Just you and me.” Hoseok smiled.

Yoongi’s eyes teared up again and he hugged Hoseok tightly.

 

    “You will never understand how it’s like to lose someone who’s been by your side for your entire life!” Yoongi’s eyes began to tear up.

 

Hoseok grabbed a heavy box from a moving van and brought it into their newly bought house. Inside he saw Yoongi adjusting his gold wedding ring, still trying to get used to having a ring on his finger.

    “I got another box!”

    “Set it down next to the other ones. I’m still trying to sort this stuff!” Yoongi looked frustrated, they should’ve labeled the boxes before leaving the country.

Hoseok kneeled down next to Yoongi and smiled.

    “Sugar, this is the bathroom stuff. See the towels?”

Yoongi paused a moment before laughing.

    “No, I was curious why we had toothbrushes in here.

 

    “Yes, I do! Because when I lost my father, I lost my mother too!” Taehyung yelled.

Yoongi’s eyes went wide in surprise finally understanding what the pain Jimin mentioned was.

    “You became so distant! You never interacted with us since his death! It was painful to lose him but he’s gone and you’re still here! We lost both parents that day!”

    “Taehyung, st-” Jimin stepped forward.

    “No, Jimin. It’s true and you know it!” Taehyung stood up, “Why did you become so distant? We had to raise ourselves! Didn’t we, Min?!”

Yoongi looked over at the oldest twin and saw Jimin sadly nod his head.

    “See! We haven’t had a parent in 5 years!” Taehyung screamed.

 

14-year-old, Taehyung, wiped his eyes as Jimin was wrapping his hand with a bandage. He had cut himself with a knife while helping Jimin cook dinner.

    “You should be more careful. You could’ve lost your finger, Tae.”

    “I’m sorry I didn’t take a cooking class!”

    “Don’t worry, I’ll teach you how to cook. Let me just grab the cookbook.”

Jimin walked over to the counter and grabbed an old notebook.

    “That’s a cookbook?” Taehyung raised an eyebrow.

    “They’re papa’s recipes.” Jimin held the notebook close.

Taehyung put his hand on Jimin’s shoulder and saw a teardrop hit the ground. Jimin sniffed and wiped his eyes.

    “Now let’s get cooking.”

 

Yoongi honestly didn’t think about it that way, he’d been so busy grieving he’d forgotten about his kids. He fell to his knees and cried, he failed. He failed as a parent. His boys were only a year away from graduating and moving away to college. He wasted precious time with them.

    “I didn’t want this to happen. Hoseok, I’m sorry. I wasted so much time, I didn’t appreciate them. I put everything on you two. You had to get jobs in order to pay for bills and maintain the place and I’m so sorry. I’m a horrible excuse for a parent, for a father, for a mother.” Yoongi stared at the floor.

Jimin knelt down next to Yoongi and hugged him. Taehyung’s eyes softened and gulped, realizing he made his papa cry.

    “I’ll be a better parent from now on, as long as you guys want me to.” Yoongi wiped his eyes.

    “Of course, I just wish you weren’t so distance. I understand you loved dad, I miss him too.” Taehyung hugged Yoongi.

    “You just need to remember that you have us too.” Jimin smiled.

Yoongi smiled at his sons before they cried together, he’ll never have Hoseok back but he has their sons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I'm not sorry for the long chapter!^^